• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

GraveRobberX said:
Sometimes if an enemy zooms past you, you can kill them just by shooting at their feet when you are in a prone position, and it sometimes it registers with a crosshair signifying it as a headshot, hope that is what he's talking about

Your bullets just hit the edge on the back of the boot

Anyone getting feeling that your hitbox is trailing you?, Shooting Latency

Remember this in BFBC2

Shooting Latency

Exactly this. It's not nearly as bad as with BC2 terrible moving hitboxes but it's still far from optimal.

Binabik15

RbBrdMan said:
The flashlights suck. Even worse that every freaking one is using them. The advantage to that is I can see them very easily from long distances. It sucks getting blinded by your own dumbass teammates though.
There's no on/off toggle or did I miss it in the menu? Because there really should be, I hate it when people from my team are crawling besides me and shine their flashlights sideways in my face. I think it could be a cool addition, but with it working in broad daylight and no switch it's not working right now.

I hope I can play today, need more weapon options. If only I was better with the guns I actually want to play with ;)

Can you backup the beta files on an external hdd? My dl speed is low, it'd take hours to get it on my own pc, but it's downloaded on my brother's minster rig.

Oh, and can you map stuff on mouse buttons? I'd like to have knife equip and quick knife on my mouse. Couldn't try on my brother's, he has no extra buttons.

PS: shitty behaviour from community managers and obscure announcements? Who would've thought.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The flashlight should be off as default

Why on earth does anyone need it in the park is beyond me

If I die why is it magically turned back on, even if I turned it off?

The way you are suppose to use the flashlight is to keep it off, get near an area where the enemy are, then turn it on by pressing up, and blind the enemy and not your teammates

It's so fucking stupid when you have a support teammate with his SAW with flashlight attachment laying on the platform near the tracks waiting for kills, while MCOM A is blasting off like a motherfucker, and you get blinded by his shine and get killed in the process

Same goes for laser sight

I think the need to keep it off, if the player wants to turn it on, then let them turn it on at their own leisure, don't hold the players hand

Half the player base is seriously retarded, I mean they still are running around with the sprint perk and the attachments that automatically upgrade onto your your gun by getting kills with the gun they've been using

On the respawn screen press [] you fuckers, you can mix and match

.nimrod said:
Press T to toggle flashlights/lasers on/off

Thing is it's just toggled for that life, if you die guess what?, it goes back to being on

After every time I die I have to press up to shut off the flashlight, it isn't a great option, just default to off, on whenever the users wants it, simple, same for laser sight

GraveRobberX said:
It's impossible to camp

Sooner or later you will get killed

Campers are those people that stay @ same position for the whole game go 12-0 and think they are god's gift to the human race for being so 1337

Smart BF players weed out the scrubs and own them, I make it my personally duty to go stab these mofo's who just sit on a hill think that is what it means to be Recon

Recons first and foremost are suppose to call out enemies, alert the front lines, which way enemies are approaching, so the team can shift defense towards that area
The are suppose to lay suppressive fire in the vicinity of enemies or help one of their teammates run away from ambush
Most importantly you should be trying to nullify their Recons and pushing the enemies towards the area were the front line can attack and kill them

The only thing that sucks about this is the lone wolf approach is so embedded into the gaming culture, you rarely get any teamwork done

I literally go out of my fucking way to get teammates revive them, heal them, ammo them up, every time I spawn, I always get to choke points, drop what ever class I am supplies and move forward

Remember DEFENDERS defend, they are not camping, they are protecting the MCOM's, they can't just run around like headless chickens so you attackers can rack up kills because you have an infinite supply of kills, while defender just need to knock a 100 of you out and game over

If anyone camps it's the Attackers, go figure
5+ think their super snipers and fire their M11 Mods with ACOG's from the crater hole and stay there, while Defenders get upset and move up to meet and wreck them, and take away any area that they had and get them to push back out to starting positions

I wish squads worked, I wish mics worked, cause with 4 smart BF players, you can takeover the whole fucking game
The squad perks are so beneficial for the whole squad, 1 with sqd flak, 1 with sprint, 1 with sqd ammo, and 1 with sqd explv

Meaning all of you will be running with all 4 perks activated making all 4 of you fucking powerhouses

I can't wait for BF3, I love Objective based games, I love teamwork, I love working together and getting the WIN which is the most important part in any game
I'm DAY 1, hopefully I see some of you on the Battlefield on the PS3, cause I'm ready
People in online FPS will never understand defending/tactical play and simply call it camping.

I've been BANNED from Counter-Strike servers for "camping" when in reality I was defending the fucking hostages/bomb sites. 95% of people think if you're not running around the map you're camping, then wonder why the enemy get to their objectives so easy.

Tripwood

Anyone knows which scopes give off glare?

I've been using SKS with PKA-S (holo) and it's been really great for mid range ( and IRNV for the tunnels). But i'd like to up the magnification a bit but avoid the scope glare.

GraveRobberX

Tripwood said:
Anyone knows which scopes give off glare?

I've been using SKS with PKA-S (holo) and it's been really great for mid range ( and IRNV for the tunnels). But i'd like to up the magnification a bit but avoid the scope glare.

Don't all Recon guns give off glare, I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure if you use any of those locked Recon guns you will be seen, can't change that

Tripwood

GraveRobberX said:
Don't all Recon guns give off glare, I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure if you use any of those locked Recon guns you will be seen, can't change that

Really? Well, then i guess i'm going back to iron sights.

EDIT: Oh, apparently i'm good to go with 4x :)

.nimrod

GraveRobberX said:
Thing is it's just toggled for that life, if you die guess what?, it goes back to being on

After every time I die I have to press up to shut off the flashlight, it isn't a great option, just default to off, on whenever the users wants it, simple, same for laser sight

Yeah i know, annoys me as well.
It even toggles it for your secondary simultaneously. If you turn off the flashlight on your primary, the laser on your secondary will be off, too.

GraveRobberX said:

Pretty sure it's tied to the scope. It was mentioned somewhere during Alpha. I am not sure how it works exactly, but I always assumed actual scopes reflect while attachments like RDS or Holo don't reflect at all.

Binabik15

.nimrod said:
Press T to toggle flashlights/lasers on/off
I must be blind, then. I blame the white screen of doom lowering my eyesight.

Goodbthing that you can do that, I hope there'll be "tactical tipps" or whatever displayd during map loads in the full game, telling people things like that. Or that they should arm or defend the damn mcoms ;)

I wish I wouldn't get kicked/server error'd/disconnected when I have a good run with the shotty, I get kills, get the first sight, loose progress, repeat, heh.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Foliorum Viridum said:
People in online FPS will never understand defending/tactical play and simply call it camping.

I've been BANNED from Counter-Strike servers for "camping" when in reality I was defending the fucking hostages/bomb sites. 95% of people think if you're not running around the map you're camping, then wonder why the enemy get to their objectives so easy.
No, you're doing it wrong. Don't use cover and tactical movement. You should abandon the objective, run around in the open, and make yourself an easy target.

GraveRobberX

Also before I forget

FOR FUCK SAKES IF I'M BEING SUPPRESSED AND I"M in COVER and if my SQUAD-MATE spawns on me, WHY IN THE FLYING FUCK DOES HE PUSH ME OUT OF COVER WHY? GODDAMN YOU, WHY?

It is fucking annoying you get assed out into the open while your buddy is comfortably behind cover and you die =/, then they die 2 seconds later cause someone spawned on them

Fucking Vicious cycle

rdrr gnr

GraveRobberX said:
Also before I forget

FOR FUCK SAKES IF I'M BEING SUPPRESSED AND I"M in COVER and if my SQUAD-MATE spawns on me, WHY IN THE FLYING FUCK DOES HE PUSH ME OUT OF COVER WHY? GODDAMN YOU, WHY?

It is fucking annoying you get assed out into the open while your buddy is comfortably behind cover and you die =/, then they die 2 seconds later cause someone spawned on them

Fucking Vicious cycle
Calm down, DICE is new at this. Of course they are going to make obvious mistakes that only the inbred offspring of hill folk could make. They'll get better with more experience. It's not like they have a decade of telemetry data and literally millions of posts of feedback from gamers or anything...

FStop7

Banned
Dina said:
Getting PC errors, can't even launch the game. A generic game error was reported, please try again. ( code: 1 )

I found that went away if I just logged out of any EA web pages, logged out of Origin (or closed the app entirely) and waited about 5 minutes. I also seemed to have more luck going to specific servers rather than using matchmaking.

So I need to take back some of my criticisms regarding stability. Earlier today I was having a lot of crashing problems - the game was terminating once every other match or so. I went into the graphics settings and changed them from "Auto" to "Ultra" and then back down to "High", and then ultimately back to "Auto" and now things have totally stabilized. No idea what the problem was.

Game looks much better in Ultra, but I'm getting drops as low as 20fps. It's playable in High and consistently close to 60fps in Medium. That's better than I had expected, to be honest.

I got in with a pretty good team for the past couple of hours. My only beef is that when we're on defense nobody would try to disarm the bomb except for me. And when I'd get in there nobody would fucking cover me, so 4 times out of 5 I would die because nobody was watching my back while the disarm was in progress.

GraveRobberX said:
Also before I forget

Fucking Vicious cycle

DICE's signature method of respawning teammates by pooping them out of your butt is not that cool. And I know a lot of people hate cover systems, but games that are objective based and require team tactics really need them. I dislike not being able to hug cover and peek around it. There are moments where I'll sprint across an open area toward cover and when I reach it I want to slam into it, not kind of brush up on it.

henhowc said:
Well if they are going to put out a demo to try and get people to buy the game, they should actually demo a map that has some of the major selling points of the MP. Unless this is strictly being used as a bug/feedback and stress test.

definitely agree. BF2 demo was great, Gulf of Oman is still an awesome map and a big overture for the game

Wow I just used the UMP-45 for the first time - what an amazingly cool weapon! It feels like it could fire rounds a little faster but boy does it put them down at close range! Insanely small recoil, great gun!

I have a brilliant tactic to use while defending, it's a bit cheap, and it pisses the enemy off so bad lol.

Every time a point gets destroyed, make sure you're alive and have the shotgun equipped, then wait for everyone to move on, put down a spawn point behind enemy lines and then move along one shooting the other team in the back lol.

Seeing as how the dipshits at DICE still haven't given us the server browser we've been promised for BF3 on consoles, here is a list of all currently known BF3 server IP addresses on the PS3 so that you can block the ones outside your region:

31.204.135.X Netherlands
31.204.137.X Netherlands
31.204.138.X Netherlands
31.204.141.X Netherlands
109.200.212.X Australia
109.200.222.X Japan
216.151.222.X California, USA
216.151.223.X Florida, USA
216.157.86.X Georgia, USA

Credit for this list goes to Infy_Asix-au

Aegus

What are the kill levels for getting the various grenade types for the grenade launcher? Wanting smoke to help with the park area.

I don't know how people can play this for hours. With just one map, even now playing with some GAFers, I got bored after two games.

It's so stupid they only have one map.

desu

ColonialRaptor said:
I have a brilliant tactic to use while defending, it's a bit cheap, and it pisses the enemy off so bad lol.

Every time a point gets destroyed, make sure you're alive and have the shotgun equipped, then wait for everyone to move on, put down a spawn point behind enemy lines and then move along one shooting the other team in the back lol.
Congrats, youre figured out what people have been doing since the first hour of the beta ...

GraveRobberX

Aegus said:
What are the kill levels for getting the various grenade types for the grenade launcher? Wanting smoke to help with the park area.

It varies man

You get stuff @10 kills per before 100, then @25 kills per before 200, then @35 kill per after 200, I think 270 is max at the moment, 17 attachments/stuff (I'm guessing here)

Aegus

GraveRobberX said:
It varies man

You get stuff @10 kills per before 100, then @25 kills per before 200, then @35 kill per after 200, I think 270 is max at the moment, 17 attachments/stuff (I'm guessing here)

Yeah I know. Usually it tells you in the battlelog for the weapon, but I can't see any mention of it. I know it's there because someone had a smoke grenade earlier.

Hellcrow

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't know how people can play this for hours. With just one map, even now playing with some GAFers, I got bored after two games.

Because it is free.

GraveRobberX

Foliorum Viridum said:

You have to try different shit, it's better to do shits n' giggles stuff now, than play when retail releases

You know how funny that EOD Bot is, such a bitch to control, but if you get close to a MCOM, pull that little BF3 Wall-E out, drive him to the MCOM, light that bitch up, then just confuse the enemy by doing donuts LOL, the enemy have the WTF is that and WTF is it doing

C4 is hands down the most amazing toy I have ever seen, if Attackers rush and take away B in the subway tunnel, A which is in the bathroom, place a c4 right behind MCOM, wait for A to go red/light up, blow C4, 5 kills, profit LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL
It looks like a fucking massacre just transpired in there, dead bodies everywhere, the whole room is destroyed to kingdom come, oh the killstreak points you go on is fucking hilarious
The noise if you have surround sound, you literally feel what a fucking BOMB going off in a room feels like (War Tapes)

I dare GAF to play with the shotty, please try, you can kill people almost 6 prone positions away
I went on a 36 Killing Streak due to it, good god 12 G Slugs murder fools, double kills galore

Stitch

Gold Member
Foliorum Viridum said:

and it's a shitty map too

zlatko

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:

I've never been a person who plays too much of any beta and maybe the only exception was Gears of War 3's, because there was unlocks to be gained for retail.

I got a ton of playtime in the alpha, and here so far with the beta I just wanted to test a few things to see if the game is on the right track still for a PC purchase. Battlelog was improved, the graphics on ultra are bonerific, they tweaked the spotting mechanic, hit detection was solid, and all around the game is fun. I agree with not seeing why people want to dump a truck load of hours into this being they didn't tweak the map enough for attackers to stand an even chance to win against defenders, but they did try from alpha by changing where one of the A/B locations is from where it was in Alpha on the park segment. Just play when you are in the mood, and you'll probably enjoy it more in doses. :)

Things I'm hoping are addressed though before I pre-order:

People who spawn on me, or bump into me when I'm prone SHOULD NOT make my body move 10+ feet forward. This costs me too many of my deaths that I'm trying to pick a great spot for sniping, then a squad mate pops behind me and pushes me out into the open before I can crawl my ass back.

Show me some other maps. Caspian looks great, and Metro needs further work, but for all we know the other maps could be 100% ass and I'd like to see them in action on a trailer at least. :(

AndyD

aka andydumi
Tried the PS3 version last night to compare.

I fell through the ground in the first 5 seconds. Suicide/respawn, fell through the ground within 3 seconds. Then 2 squadmates spawned on me and we were all sitting below the map. So we had a short coversation as we shot up the enemy passing above.

Exited beta, played something else.

itsgreen

AndyD said:
Tried the PS3 version last night to compare.

I fell through the ground in the first 5 seconds. Suicide/respawn, fell through the ground within 3 seconds. Then 2 squadmates spawned on me and we were all sitting below the map. So we had a short coversation as we shot up the enemy passing above.

Exited beta, played something else.

Good times...

This is what actual beta's look like. Bugs, errors and crap... People have come to expect demo's that are perfect because companies just put the beta stamp on their demo...

Are we going to see any updates to the beta or is what we have now essentially it? I remember reading we were going to get a different mode. Am I just imagining that?

why the fuck is it not possible to enter the pause menu while I'm fucking dead?

I wanted to change some graphical settings, but you have to be alive in the game to enter this fucking menu. while I was browsing the menu some guy shot me and BF3 desided to kick me out of the menu without saving my setting. thanks.

user interface, look this up in the dictionary dice....

zlatko said:
I've never been a person who plays too much of any beta and maybe the only exception was Gears of War 3's, because there was unlocks to be gained for retail.

I got a ton of playtime in the alpha, and here so far with the beta I just wanted to test a few things to see if the game is on the right track still for a PC purchase. Battlelog was improved, the graphics on ultra are bonerific, they tweaked the spotting mechanic, hit detection was solid, and all around the game is fun. I agree with not seeing why people want to dump a truck load of hours into this being they didn't tweak the map enough for attackers to stand an even chance to win against defenders, but they did try from alpha by changing where one of the A/B locations is from where it was in Alpha on the park segment. Just play when you are in the mood, and you'll probably enjoy it more in doses. :)
I keep getting the itch to play and I really enjoy the first game or two, but then I realise it's Metro allll over again and I just get bored. I like variation too much. It blows my mind people can spend hours on that one map, especially since it's pretty poor.

Massa

itsgreen said:
Good times...

This is what actual beta's look like. Bugs, errors and crap... People have come to expect demo's that are perfect because companies just put the beta stamp on their demo...

Actually most betas I played this year where actually beta-quality games. I think the reason people expect betas to be perfect is because they don't like using beta quality software.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The funniest bug is the 'auto suicide'. You go walking around ... and BAM! SUICIDE'D

bobs99 ... said:
Are we going to see any updates to the beta or is what we have now essentially it? I remember reading we were going to get a different mode. Am I just imagining that?

I doubt there will be any updates for the console beta.
Concquest mode was playable for 2-3 days on PC but was removed.

MMaRsu

itsgreen said:
Good times...

Its a few weekends before release

despite all the bugs the game it pretty fun. the main bugs for me that needs to be fixed before release is the quick sand ground,the hit detection warning(sometimes you get no warning when you are getting shot at you just die), getting killed after u run around the corner and getting stuck on small objects or sometimes not being able to jump over things .

Top Bottom