• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

venom2124

PjotrStroganov said:
Suicide by grenade getting stuck behind a bush, after seeing it fly to the target, is fun too.
Lol. Forgot about that. My first thrown grenade hit a leaf on a tree branch and bounced back to me. Really hoping the retail version is cleaned up big time.

RS4-

I actually don't mind the grenades stuck in a bush thing, I suppose it's one way to combat spam. Not sure if that was their intentions though.

AndyD

aka andydumi
RS4- said:
I actually don't mind the grenades stuck in a bush thing, I suppose it's one way to combat spam. Not sure if that was their intentions though.

I think that is part of it. Prevent people from lobbing through trees and bushes.

However, the visuals should match the outcome. Sometimes you might see your grenade fly off, when in reality it gets stuck in the bush you are in and you kill yourself. So its fine if it gets stuck in a bush, but you should see that so you can bail out.

Also, I wonder if bullets also get stopped by bushes. Sometimes there ends up being a firefight of prone enemies in that long string of bushes by the left wall in the first phase of metro. And sometimes you can kill OK, sometimes you can unload a full clip with no effects.

AndyD said:
I think that is part of it. Prevent people from lobbing through trees and bushes.

However, the visuals should match the outcome. Sometimes you might see your grenade fly off, when in reality it gets stuck in the bush you are in and you kill yourself. So its fine if it gets stuck in a bush, but you should see that so you can bail out.

Also, I wonder if bullets also get stopped by bushes. Sometimes there ends up being a firefight of prone enemies in that long string of bushes by the left wall in the first phase of metro. And sometimes you can kill OK, sometimes you can unload a full clip with no effects.

That's what I hated the most in BC2 Vietnam. I think it was DICE just being very lazy

Rapstah

The ragdoll physics really don't like when you shoot people who are going prone. I had this guy shoot away at ten times the speed he was running at. He actually literally sped away across the part out of sight.

Makoto

* Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.
Is this fix still not in the beta? This is hands down the biggest pain in the ass when trying to revive people or moving to arm an M-COM or moving to defuse an M-COM.

Vastag

Anyone getting problems with the PC beta freezing on them? I have to open the task manager to kill the process. And it happens quite a lot.

Wow, the PC beta is lightyears better than the PS3 version. As in, it is actually a lot of fun. And seems a lot less glitchy.

Throwing off a grenade, watching it fly away, only for it to blow you up somehow isn't cool though. And the RPG spam from defenders on the third set of MCOM targets in Metro (attackers have to climb stairs to get in) is rather annoying.

zomaha

Vastag said:
Anyone getting problems with the PC beta freezing on them? I have to open the task manager to kill the process. And it happens quite a lot.

Yeah this is happening to me a lot more often now than it was before. An error pops up saying a graphics driver failed, I believe. I'll try it again.

MrBig

gl0w said:
PS3 version looks great to me... IMO.
I have played for more than 12hours and i love it.
I can't complain about 360 either. There doesn't look to be a single texture higher than 512x512, and pop-in is a little close, but that is to be expected with the hardware.

DSN2K said:
there are 64 player Metro servers ?

Yup. Set the server filter for only big conquest games. Fair warning, these are private servers and are not official.

Edit: Now that I checked again I don't see any conquest servers showing up anymore. Dice may have found a way to block people from enjoying a game of conquest in Battlefield. I'm sure they are all high-fiving around the office right now.

Seanspeed said:
How can people honestly crap on CoD when this is the sort of winning strategy you take for Battlefield games?

I'm having a good time with the demo, dont get me wrong. The sound and intensity during the firefights is amazing, but I dont know how on earth Battlefield fans can act so elitist against CoD.

I don't see what's wrong with what he said. If you're defending points, then of course camping is a sound strategy. The way you win on offense is by rushing and overwhelming before the D gets set up. Since most people in the beta appear to be idiots, this doesn't happen that much.

Moreover, Rush isn't Battlefield. Still scratching my head on why Caspian Border wasn't released to the public.

Seanspeed said:
How can people honestly crap on CoD when this is the sort of winning strategy you take for Battlefield games?

I'm having a good time with the demo, dont get me wrong. The sound and intensity during the firefights is amazing, but I dont know how on earth Battlefield fans can act so elitist against CoD.

I've crapped on COD for a few things, but never camping.

And camping is a legitimate tactic as defenders. People need to stop bitching about defenders, you know...making sure attackers don't break through to objects or arm them.

Edit: Damn, got a Carbine medal for getting the Carbine ribbon 50x. 20,000 points
lol.gif

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Mr. Snrub said:
Edit: Damn, got a Carbine medal for getting the Carbine ribbon 50x. 20,000 points

And it Stacks!

LOOK:

14uhqv6.jpg

1. Grab UMP45
2. Level up gun, add attachments Silencer, Flashlight/Laser Sight, Holo Scope
3. For every 4 kills you earn, you a PDW Ribbon
4. Get 160 kills (40 ribbons) = 2-3 games if your good, 5 games if average, 7+ if beginner
5. Now you get a PDW Medal = 20,000 points, almost = 1 level
6. ????????
7. Profit!

Just had a great match with the SV98, my fav. sniper in BC2. i don't like the scope though. I much prefer the actual sniper scope but I guess it'll be awhile before I unlock it.

Rad-

Coldsnap said:
Anyone else agree that the xbox 360 version looks better than ps3 version?

Both look equally disappointing. The only difference I noticed was that 360 version was a bit darker for me.

Roche

Vastag said:
I hate the web server browser, I hate it with passion. I'm on the verge of cancelling the preorder

Yeah I'm having issues with it myself, namely the site being incredibly slow sometimes. You know I can understand Dice/EA wanting to innovate with this kind of stuff, but you've got to take it slowly before you commit to it.

For example, I think it would have been better for them to create a site more like Bungie's for Halo or CoD: Elite just for stats and platoons and such, then keep everything related to actually playing the game in the damn game.
I understand that Dice already had a stat sharing site for BF:BC2 but from what I saw it was rather clunky; they should have just iterated upon that than jumping straight to this monstrosity.

Rapstah

What the hell is going on with Battlelog? I'll refresh the server list, but every single server with five or more slots free is full when I click it. As if dozens of servers were to fill in those few seconds.

Vastag

Rapstah said:
What the hell is going on with Battlelog? I'll refresh the server list, but every single server with five or more slots free is full when I click it. As if dozens of servers were to fill in those few seconds.

Same thing happens to me, it takes ages to find a game. Is a big POS.

Roche

Vastag said:
Same thing happens to me, it takes ages to find a game. Is a big POS.

Yeah all my servers are showing 27 people for some reason when I try to join it tells me they're full. The only way for me to get a game is to use quick match.

Seanspeed

Banned
There's so many damn issues(read: bugs) with this game, but I'm sooooo sold regardless.

I've got a pretty decent home theater system and while ducking down in one of the subway tracks, I had a rocket fly over my head and I literally ducked my head down and my heartbeat was racing. Soooooo intense.

I cant wait to play some new maps. I've been a team deathmatch/CoD fan for quite a while but I think I've found the turning point. Objective-gaming really clicks in this Battlefield 3 demo. I actually went out today and pre-ordered BF3(full $60).

Cant wait!

Once you hit rank 16 and you have access to the ump, its does rack kills like no tomorrow on metro.

Also, the Engineer Bot is hella fun. I suspect It won't be as fun once the game launchs and after a week or 2 people get used to kill the thing when spotted. But for now, geez, I get so many laughs out of it.

has Dice made any announcements regarding soldier progression and platoons going from the beta to the final game? will everything be wiped?

MrBig

Noisepurge said:
has Dice made any announcements regarding soldier progression and platoons going from the beta to the final game? will everything be wiped?
Both stat data and origin friends will apparently be wiped.

Spookie

GraveRobberX said:
2. Level up gun, add attachments Silencer, Flashlight/Laser Sight, Holo Scope
3. For every 4 kills you earn, you a PDW Ribbon
4. Get 160 kills (40 ribbons) = 2-3 games if your good, 5 games if average, 7+ if beginner
5. Now you get a PDW Medal = 20,000 points, almost = 1 level
6. ????????
7. Profit![/B]

Oh snap.

Jaagen

It lags like shit for me on the PC, which is strange because it runs fairly smooth on my PS3.

I usually select the servers closest to me, but I hate that there's no way to check your ping in-game. I haven't found one, at least.

Any other (Euro)GAF'er experiencing tremendous amounts of lag? (and there is nothing wrong with my connection)

ultron87

I've said a decent level of crap about the beta and the map, but when you get into a big firefight with a lot of people on each side none of that stuff matters. The actual gun battles in this game look, sound and feel amazing and are a ton of fun.

How old is the build of this game? There seems to be a paradox here in those claiming that it is an old build and yet the devs releasing this beta for feedback. They can't both be right.

Meus Renaissance said:
How old is the build of this game? There seems to be a paradox here in those claiming that it is an old build and yet the devs releasing this beta for feedback. They can't both be right. If it is an old build, then many of the issues we've experienced have been 'fixed', so what sense does it make for EA to release this if they're trying to gather information

They say it's a month or so old... which is not that old, to be honest. The last month of development, if I am correct, is most focused on polishing and making sure it runs at it's best. Lack of priorities being straight is going to piss a lot of day one buyers and by the time the game is fixed, Christmas will be here and 50% off sales will be up in the horizon.

fanboi

Banned
shagg_187 said:
They say it's a month or so old... which is not that old, to be honest. The last month of development, if I am correct, is most focused on polishing and making sure it runs at it's best. Lack of priorities being straight is going to piss a lot of day one buyers and by the time the game is fixed, Christmas will be here and 50% off sales will be up in the horizon.

Its several thousands om manhours old atleast! Sounds so much older then!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
shagg_187 said:
Video games typically spend about 2-3 months in beta, getting bugs squashed. That phase runs right up to gold master.

Top Bottom