• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Woorloog

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
How old is the build of this game? There seems to be a paradox here in those claiming that it is an old build and yet the devs releasing this beta for feedback. They can't both be right.
It can be an old build. IIRC Halo: Reach beta was by the time it was available some month old but that didn't seem to be a big issue for Bungie. They simply compared versions to see differences, fixed unnoticed bugs (and told us some bugs were already fixed but not in time for the beta).

A thing of beauty. I keep telling myself that is the first gun I unlock, but then I get a team that doesn't understand the Assault class that is also a medic.

Don't worry, I got this.

-GOUKI-

I think the weapons models are probably some of the best in the game. They aren't just detailed but they did something with the contrast to make them pop out at you like killzone 2 back in the day.

I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE M60 YOU FUCKS

IT'S THE LAST GUN ON THE SUPPORT TREE.

YOU DICKS.

(It is on lowest of low settings cause I've been testing fraps on it)

Seanspeed

Banned
Shaundakahl said:
A thing of beauty. I keep telling myself that is the first gun I unlock, but then I get a team that doesn't understand the Assault class that is also a medic.

Don't worry, I got this.
I still dont get it. My first instinct isn't to go around reviving anybody. Some of you guys need to realize that the Beta is still essentially a demo for a lot of FPS fans out there. I'm getting better about it, but not everybody is going to realize the distinguishing features of the different classes.

woober

Legato.Reborn- said:

YOU DICKS.

lol. Congrats on the gun. Hilarious response to everyone complaining about your shot.

Legato.Reborn- said:

YOU DICKS.

You're a cool guy.

anyway...

I'm digging the unlocks. It's fun to have a bunch of scopes on each gun. The laser seems to need some tweaking though.

Kyaw

Legato.Reborn- said:

YOU DICKS.

Still... imgur makes me puke.

Deadbeat

Banned
Legato.Reborn- said:
Less or more recoil than the pkp? Less or more recoil than the m240b? I prefer the m249 over the pkp because I can spray at people better.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Ok...

I'm ready to accept that come release BF3 will not be great MP-wise...

My question:

How long till it's acceptable and one can recommend friends to jump in? 2 weeks? a month? 2 months?

I didn't get BC1/BC2 on launch and bought 1 year after or later even...

I did buy BF2 when it was released and I remember it being fairly good at launch though I might be wrong...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
F#A#Oo said:
Ok...

I'm ready to accept that come release BF3 will not be great MP-wise...

My question:

How long till it's acceptable and one can recommend friends to jump in? 2 weeks? a month? 2 months?

I didn't get BC1/BC2 on launch and bought 1 year after or later even...

I did buy BF2 when it was released and I remember it being fairly good at launch though I might be wrong...
If you're on the PC, it's hard to say, because I think the beta buzz would be a lot more positive if the maps were better, bugs and all. 64 player Conquest is either your thing or it's not. Not like you have much of a choice if that's what you want in a modern release.

If you're on the consoles... :(

Deadbeat said:
Less or more recoil than the pkp? Less or more recoil than the m240b? I prefer the m249 over the pkp because I can spray at people better.

m249 is without a doubt the best support gun (imo, but I'm right and everyone else is wrong, so there)

However, since I just unlocked the m60 I need to do the runs with it to see.

I'll post back later this evening with the results.

--

Oh yeah btw guys, the IR scope is hilariously OP.

Manager

Do you guys change class depending on what area you are on the map, Rush? Recon works well outside, but then when you're in the subways I guess people use more close-combat class no?

Manager said:
Do you guys change class depending on what area you are on the map, Rush? Recon works well outside, but then when you're in the subways I guess people use more close-combat class no?

NO NO NO NO

NO

FUCK RECON, FUCK YOU.

FUCK ALL RECONS.

YOU GET ON THAT FUCKING MCOM AND ARM THAT BITCH.

Unless you're defending, in which case NO

Amagon

srATl.jpg

reddit

Skenzin

Banned
Played PC and 360 demo. Mulled it over for a few days...

EA should have designed a separate console specific product, developed ground up for the console's limitations. As is, the the console version is so stripped it loses the most of the experience. The PC version is great.

it's like this...

This is Double Dragon arcade
Double_Dragon-screenshot.png

This is Double Dragon SMS port delivering the experience
sms_01.png

This is Double Dragon 2600 port; does not deliver the experience, loses all nuance.
double_dragon.png

woober

Manager said:

As attacker, I go engineer and arm with the EOD bot. As defender, I play support, lay C4s down and blow it up when I see people going to arm. Based on section of the map, I change attachments so I have laser pointer in the park and tactical light/IRNV scope. It works out really well and makes me feel badass.

Woorloog

Banned
Legato.Reborn- said:
m249 is without a doubt the best support gun (imo, but I'm right and everyone else is wrong, so there)
M249 is great (better than PKP, i want PKM back :/) for a defensive player but i like M27IAR more. It works as an assault rifle AND suppression weapon as needed.

Ysiadmihi said:
I don't know how I didn't notice this before, but throwing out health/ammo packs breaking out walls is hilarious.
It's not hilarious, it is fucking annoying. I need to spare a second or two to make sure my ammo box/medkit doesn't break my cover...
Was a bit surprised first time i threw an ammo box in front of me and my wall i was using for bipod vanished.

Shootmeimdumb

Neo Member
Manager said:

Recon can work well in the subway if you switch to something like the 870 or the UMP, those spawn points can help with the 2nd section quite a bit.

Deadly

Considering the SVD is so freakin strong right now playing an offensive recon is ridiculously fun :lol In the subway, I change to engineer and start shooting those RPGs

Manager

Shootmeimdumb said:
Recon can work well in the subway if you switch to something like the 870 or the UMP, those spawn points can help with the 2nd section quite a bit.

woober said:
As attacker, I go engineer and arm with the EOD bot. As defender, I play support, lay C4s down and blow it up when I see people going to arm. Based on section of the map, I change attachments so I have laser pointer in the park and tactical light/IRNV scope. It works out really well and makes me feel badass.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I don't really have any fave class myself.

So, is the most ordinary thing that people tend to play the same class in all sections? Or is that very random? Throughout my gaming I've generally always decided for one class and gone with that. With BF3, it seems like people do different.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It depends, I tend to decide what i want to level up that day, so i play that class almost exclusively. Sometimes you can see within a game if tthere is a shortage of one class and fill it.

I like seting up on tripod and laying cover fire, so I have been doing that a lot. Its satisfying to spot and sweep that machine gun around. Even if I don;t get a ton of kills.

Its particualarly effective in the bush people region and the forget to crouch region.

I had a weird flashing session earlier, red and blue whole screen flashes every 2-3 seconds for about 2 games. Terrible. Then it went away all of a sudden.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ayo said:
is it me or does anyone hate the flashlight with a vengeance?
Flashlight is a good idea, but it needs to be balanced. And by that I mean more realistic in its range. Same with the size of the sniper glint.

Woorloog

Banned
Ayo said:
is it me or does anyone hate the flashlight with a vengeance?
I hate it too. It is too strong effect (and laser sight is too weak (hip fire accuracy bonus is quite small and useless)).

Top Bottom