• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Longshot

Woorloog said:
This reminds me, i have the grenade launcher unlocked (and based on quick test, it sucks. Replaces medkit, has bad iron sight and didn't seem to be useful really). It's description reads, can fire Frag, Anti-vehicle and Smoke rounds. Do those other rounds exist in game? If they do, how can i use them?
I haven't unlocked the GLA just yet but I was in a match last night that had some guy on our team smoking out the MCOMs. So they're definitely in-game.

legacyzero

Banned
The 360 version of this beta is seriously broken. Can barely get in a game, and when I do, I end up getting lagged or the server shuts down.

You cant use the "well, it IS a Beta." It's too broken for the public.

On PC, what key is used to change the firing mode of your gun? I've tried tapping 1 but I'm not sure if the gun just doesn't support other firing modes or if I'm using the wrong key.

Chittagong

Gold Member
soulassssns said:
http://kotaku.com/5845851/frustrated-battlefield-rep-unloads-on-ungrateful-community

"the beta is a privilege, not a right, unless you got a key with a pre-order"

I preordered and I did not get my "48 hour early access" so I was fully in the right to bitch and complain.

As the community manager he neeeds to be able to take both positive and negative opinions. Talking shit on a forum to your fan base AKA customers is just plain bad business.

What an entitled ass he comes across as. How about explaining how the game is such a glitchy mess two weeks from going gold, huh? I have zero pity for their crunch time. Given their arrogance towards CoD, they deserve everything they get. I mean, CoD has never been a programming marvel, but compared to the BF3 beta it looks like a national security grade application.

soulassssns said:
http://kotaku.com/5845851/frustrated-battlefield-rep-unloads-on-ungrateful-community

"the beta is a privilege, not a right, unless you got a key with a pre-order"

I preordered and I did not get my "48 hour early access" so I was fully in the right to bitch and complain.

As the community manager he neeeds to be able to take both positive and negative opinions. Talking shit on a forum to your fan base AKA customers is just plain bad business.

Why are you trying to make it out like he said those who pre-ordered don't have a right to complain? He obviously was referring to those who got in via the free open beta.

Anyways, if you have read the forums like I have you'd understand why. There are so many stupid, copy cat threads it crosses from legitimate complaint to bitching just to bitch. For example, one guy keeps posting threads saying the PC version should stop getting attention because "90% of sales will be on xbox".

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Chittagong said:
What an entitled ass he comes across as. How about explaining how the game is such a glitchy mess two weeks from going gold, huh? I have zero pity for their crunch time. Given their arrogance towards CoD, they deserve everything they get. I mean, CoD has never been a programming marvel, but compared to the BF3 beta it looks like a national security grade application.
His point was that the free open beta is not something that should carry the same expectations in relation to the publisher consumer relationship as a released product you purchased. On the other hand, if the retail version is buggy then people have every right to make demands in that case because they paid money for it.

But that's not something people want to hear.

domlolz

Banned
SalsaShark said:
you can tell by just playing this game. Some of the animations (like the "jumping over cover" one where you see your legs) instantly remind me of the game.

Its a nice callback and i really hope that bag cameo means the sequel they've been working on gets announced soon.

for sure, that's what I like about this game so much despite all it's bugs, it's just a joy moving about sprinting full speed and vaulting over things, they certainly learned a few neat tricks from developing Mirror's Edge.

Soma

lol @ reload animation for the PDW-R

not really liking the 44 Magnum but it's probably because of the bullshit lag i've been getting. The Saiga is still deadly in CQC (no surprises there). Pretty close to unlocking the DAO-12 so we'll see how that compares.

I'm pretty much waiting to unlock the P90 since I love that gun. Probably by then I'm gonna be done with this beta especially with Dark Souls coming out this week.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I H8 Memes said:
Give up that dream man. Dice know we want a big conquest server with vehicles and they are not going to give it to us. They are laughing and high 5ing at HQ right now about how we have to play the same old Rush garbage round after round.

They wont be laughing when their sales drop 30% because of their lame map choice on the beta! You only get 1 shot of doing a good impression in this business!

SA-X

I'm loving these new shotgun upgrades. 870 + Buckshot + Flashlight + Red dot = Unstoppable death machine up close.

Glad to see Dice came to their senses and made the pump action shotty useful again after neutering it in BC2.

Supposedly there's stuff in the beta that mentions weapons that'll be included in the Back to Karkand DLC.

It's all BF2 weapons of course, the FAMAS, MP5, PP19 (the SMG Chinese Anti-Tank used to have), QBZ95B (the assault rifle the Chinese had), L85A2, QBB95, MG36, Jackhammer, Type 88 and the L96.

There's leaked multiplayer map names too.

MP_BAZAAR
MP_HIGHWAY
MP_FOREST
MP_PARIS
MP_OILFIELDS
MP_BASEJUMP
MP_SUBWAY
MP_CANALS
MP_KHARG
MP_
OMAHA
MP_TUTORIAL

SP maps are (spoilered for sensitive people, there's no major surprises though.:

SP_BANK
SP_EARTHQUAKE - aka Fault Line
SP_FINALE (2 Part)
SP_JET (2 Part)
SP_NEW_YORK (2 Part)
SP_PARIS
SP_SNIPER
SP_TANK (2 Part) - aka Thunder Run
SP_VALLEY - aka Operation Guillotine
SP_VILLA

And co-op (again spoilered) -

COOP_A10
COOP_BREACHED
COOP_HOSTAGE
COOP_ROLLINGTHUNDER
COOP_BEHINDENEMYLINES
COOP_SUPERCOBRA
COOP_EXTRACTION
COOP_ASSASSINATION
COOP_EXFILTRATION
COOP_SUBWAY

Source is some guy digging around in the files.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HotHamWater said:
MP_BAZAAR
MP_HIGHWAY
MP_FOREST
MP_PARIS
MP_OILFIELDS
MP_BASEJUMP
MP_SUBWAY
MP_CANALS
MP_KHARG
MP_
OMAHA
MP_TUTORIAL
Given that there are ten maps here (sans tutorial), it seems DICE has a secret map again.

Salsa

he also died by a headshot in one of the examples i think

i trust the "this is an old build" stuff they said about the beta.

cabottemp

Banned
I really hope this game gets delayed. And I say this as a fan of the franchise. It's... not very good.

I'm playing it on console and while I fully expect it to look/perform dramatically different(worse) than PC (and yes, I know, it's a beta), I can't help but worry about it. So far my experience with it has been a lesson in mediocrity. Which is a shame, because Bad Company 2 was a blast. Honestly, I don't even think the visuals are that much better than BC2.

I say delay it. This game will only benefit from it.

darkwing

iam220 said:

because i've encountered instances where i pumped a guys head with 30 rounds and he still didn't die, if it was client side he would have been dead even if it takes a few seconds after

iam220

darkwing said:
because i've encountered instances where i pumped a guys head with 30 rounds and he still didn't die, if it was client side he would have been dead even if it takes a few seconds after

I think they've confirmed that it was client side though. What you're describing might of been a bug.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MP tutorial is a great idea. Stuff like suppression will be confusing to people who haven't been following the game.

I have to say prone has made this game a lot more enjoyable for me. So many people are sitting still due to prone that I am getting way more head shots on engineers, assault, support classes instead of just all the snipers that used to sit still in Bad Company 2.

FStop7

Banned
God fucking damn it I almost rage quit out just now. I got pushed out of cover by people spawning out of my butt so many times. And of course I was then immediately killed. Over, and over, and over. I could not get shit for kills. The best I could do was take out or save an MCOM once per match.

Also, fuck this game for spawning me pointing in the opposite direction of the objectives, or especially backwards and prone. It's nice to be barely half turned around before I'm murdered.

FStop7 said:
Also, fuck this game for spawning me pointing in the opposite direction of the objectives, or especially backwards and prone. It's nice to be barely half turned around before I'm murdered.
That's not entirely the games fault. That's just the opposing team wrecking your team so badly that they can't be pushed away from your spawn or M-COMs. Either that or your squad members are running too far ahead into enemy territory.

darkwing

FStop7 said:
God fucking damn it I almost rage quit out just now. I got pushed out of cover by people spawning out of my butt so many times. And of course I was then immediately killed. Over, and over, and over. I could not get shit for kills. The best I could do was take out or save an MCOM once per match.

lol yeah that spawn coming out of your butt is so funny, its like a counter to those hiding in the bushes

AndyD

aka andydumi
darkwing said:
lol yeah that spawn coming out of your butt is so funny, its like a counter to those hiding in the bushes
Haha, makes sense when you put it that way!

Seriously though it needs to spawn you about a yard back and it would be OK. Since you get to watch on the cam the person you spawn on, you know what to expect a yard back. The but spawning is unreliable because you can face odd ways based on how the teammate is wiggling on the ground.

Soma

gibon3z said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGaP5wTYLtQ

Have you guys seen this ?

Video on BF3's hit detection and net code.
Oh my god.

This is EXACTLY what I've been going through every damn game on PS3. I mean my connection here is pretty solid and I've never had any problems like this with Bad Company 2 so I dunno.

I reeeeeaaaally hope this just a beta thing though. I can deal with the glitches, I can avoid the glitched pits of doom in the first area of mcoms, but this right here is a gamebreaker for me. I'm enjoying the game in all honesty but these bullshit deaths are really making it hard to like this.

darkwing

moonspeak said:
Oh my god.

This is EXACTLY what I've been going through every damn game on PS3. I mean my connection here is pretty solid and I've never had any problems like this with Bad Company 2 so I dunno.

I reeeeeaaaally hope this just a beta thing though. I can deal with the glitches, I can avoid the glitched pits of doom in the first area of mcoms, but this right here is a gamebreaker for me. I'm enjoying the game in all honesty but these bullshit deaths are really making it hard to like this.

remember this is a Beta, i don't think they would be turning on all the servers

Ezduo

Banned
darkwing said:
remember this is a Beta
Can't remember Battlefield 2 but I still have people shooting me behind walls in Bad Company 2. I don't expect any of these issues to be fixed at launch, Dice is just really shitty about netcode.

Justin

Was the xbox version patched? It seems to be running a lot better and the hit detection seems to be improved. Also all my progress was erased and isnt saving between rounds.

bluehat9

Just saw it in that video, I always laugh when after I get killed I see the guy in the "killcam" just put both his arms down near his sides. It just looks weird as he seems to slide around for a second or two before he gets a gun in his hand again...is he picking a weapon up off the ground and there's no real animation for it or what?

Ezduo

Banned
bluehat9 said:
Just saw it in that video, I always laugh when after I get killed I see the guy in the "killcam" just put both his arms down near his sides. It just looks weird as he seems to slide around for a second or two before he gets a gun in his hand again...is he picking a weapon up off the ground and there's no real animation for it or what?
I think that's where the animation for throwing a med kit or ammo box are. I've seen a guy pick up my gun before and all that happened was the gun magically changed.

bluehat9 said:
It believe that also happens when you revive some one or throw out a health/ammo pack. Maybe it's lacking some kind of transition animation.

FStop7

Banned
The hit detection stuff I'm not sure about the legitimacy of, but the shot through cover stuff I've experienced a lot.

FinKL

As a sniper, I can't count how many times I've shot them and die from them, but still saw the hit marker appear and the enemy still have 100% HP. No there were no med kits nearby...

The question is has this been addressed or is "client side" hit detection here to stay...

Top Bottom