• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

AndyD

aka andydumi
I H8 Memes said:
Character models shouldn't be moving each other around at any time, much less when we spawn on teammates.

In a way its more realistic. One person can bump into another and nudge them around a bit. Not much, but a few inches upon contact.

That said spawn nudges are stupid.

One thing that Metro part one lacks is enough destructability. Those trees take forever to come down, and even then there are some fixed ones. We should be able to clear all the bushes away.

That was one thing BC2 did well, it let you clear out a clump of trees/bushes to prevent the enemy from hiding. So the battlefield actually evolved throughout a round. Put a few tank rounds or grenades or rockets into a clump of trees and its all clear.

Cruzader

Banned
is it wrong to play this with a pad instead of a keyboard&mouse? I just can't get the hang of the controls. Always missing the crouch key or prone key plus I can't see the damn keys when its dark in the room. If I had a pad, I feel it'd be better. So should I quit playing the pc version and go back to ps3 version?

even playing on the low settings, this game looks better than the ps3 version. Damn the textures look good and crisp unlike the console version.

Ezduo said:
Can't remember Battlefield 2 but I still have people shooting me behind walls in Bad Company 2. I don't expect any of these issues to be fixed at launch, Dice is just really shitty about netcode.

picture BF2 demo and BF3 beta like this

twins-devito-schwarzenegger.jpg

Mit-

People keep comparing this to BC2 :\ This is a sequel to a game that came out in 2005. Wasn't Bad Company originally done by mostly a different team? And was developed for consoles?

This game was developed for PC on an entirely new engine. It's not even a sequel to Bad Company 2 (although since it is conveniently titled Battlefield 3 they can mislead everyone into thinking this to garner sales from both Battlefield and Bad Company fans). Everything is not going to run the same. And it likely isn't going to be quite as polished on console when it's a port of a game made for PC that the majority of PC gamers can't even run on High/Ultra settings.

Mit- said:
People keep comparing this to BC2 :\ This is a sequel to a game that came out in 2005. Wasn't Bad Company originally done by mostly a different team? And was developed for consoles?

This game was developed for PC on an entirely new engine. It's not even a sequel to Bad Company 2 (although since it is conveniently titled Battlefield 3 they can mislead everyone into thinking this to garner sales from both Battlefield and Bad Company fans). Everything is not going to run the same. And it likely isn't going to be quite as polished on console when it's a port of a game made for PC that the majority of PC gamers can't even run on High/Ultra settings.

ye but graphics ain't the problem here

Makoto

Have a gun with an IR scope, take the smoke grenade, launch it into a room with hostiles.
Clear out confused hostiles with IR scope equipped weapon.
Feel like a badass.

vidal said:
Have a gun with an IR scope, take the smoke grenade, launch it into a room with hostiles.
Feel like a badass.
HOW DO I SHOT IR SCOPE

parasight

vidal said:
Feel like a badass.

Wait, there's Smoke Grenades? How do I get 'em?

Bit-Bit

I played today for a few hours. All of my matches went great without any glitches. I noticed that nobody ever revives people so I decided to be the best medic there ever was. Turns out, you get a 100 points for revives! So I ended the match in like 5th place with just two kills. Everyone above and below me had +10 kills. Both my team and the other sides team were fucking coordinated. The defenders won a lot. And when it was my team's turn to attack, we'd bum rush the mcoms and I'd be right there reviving everyone in sight as we got mowed down by snipers. The other team put up a really good fight. We won some, they won others. I didn't feel like any one sided dominated the other.

Bit-Bit

AndyD said:
In a way its more realistic. One person can bump into another and nudge them around a bit. Not much, but a few inches upon contact.

That said spawn nudges are stupid.

One thing that Metro part one lacks is enough destructability. Those trees take forever to come down, and even then there are some fixed ones. We should be able to clear all the bushes away.

That was one thing BC2 did well, it let you clear out a clump of trees/bushes to prevent the enemy from hiding. So the battlefield actually evolved throughout a round. Put a few tank rounds or grenades or rockets into a clump of trees and its all clear.

The alpha had a tank that for someone reason is missing in the beta. But rest assured, the tank can clear out hiding spots really freakin fast on Metro.

DTKT

Bit-Bit said:
The alpha had a tank that for someone reason is missing in the beta. But rest assured, the tank can clear out hiding spots really freakin fast on Metro.

I'm pretty sure they removed it on purpose. They added a lot of static cover that would easily prevent the AAV from really moving around.

Makoto

parasight said:
Wait, there's Smoke Grenades? How do I get 'em?
Taking players out with the grenade launcher. Not sure how many though.

Edit: The grenade launcher replaces the health pack for the Assault class. You have to work your way up, so first you'll get the grenade launcher, then the shotty, then the smoke grenades. You could just keep using the grenade launcher until you get the smoke launcher, you don't need to use the shotgun.

Spoo

So, has anyone actually had the luck of being banned for playing on a hacked server yet?

The other day a friend and I joined a game and it was straight up team deathmatch (which confused us enough as it is), and our levels were set to 20. Afterwards, my stats were completely reset. Then I read online there's a chance people will get banned for joining a hacked server, losing all their Origin games in the process.

I have a hard time understanding the logic behind that since 1) most people didn't know server files were leaked when they actually joined, and 2) we actually provide EA and Dice a service by playing their beta. Because of this, I don't care that I'm level 1 now, but punishing people for playing their game seems a bit fucking stupid, even for EA.

Makoto

bluerei said:
Keep drinking that EA Kool-aid.
Uh, what? The EA execs no doubt look at this as a demo and would like everyone to look at it that way. What we're playing though is obviously a beta build.

Makoto

HotHamWater said:
Supposedly there's stuff in the beta that mentions weapons that'll be included in the Back to Karkand DLC.

It's all BF2 weapons of course, the FAMAS, MP5, PP19 (the SMG Chinese Anti-Tank used to have), QBZ95B (the assault rifle the Chinese had), L85A2, QBB95, MG36, Jackhammer, Type 88 and the L96.

There's leaked multiplayer map names too.
If the spoilered multiplayer map is really what I think it is then that is the only Rush map I want to play on. Seriously, that map was made for Rush.

Spl1nter

vidal said:
If the spoilered multiplayer map is really what I think it is then that is the only Rush map I want to play on. Seriously, that map was made for Rush.

Not the same with a destoyer that cant be beached.

KorrZ

Hit detection really needs some help in this game :\ There is no reason why I should be shooting someone in the back getting hit markers and they turn around and kill me. It doesn't take more than 5-6 bullets to kill someone.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
KorrZ said:
Hit detection really needs some help in this game :\ There is no reason why I should be shooting someone in the back getting hit markers and they turn around and kill me. It doesn't take more than 5-6 bullets to kill someone.
I've had this happen to me many a time on the Xbox.

It's hilarious putting 10 LMG rounds into someone, only to have them pop 1 UMP bullet in my foot and i drop :

Battlelog patch in 30 minutes (server side).

Today's first Battlelog update will go live at 09.00 CEST, that's in about 50 minutes. Downtime is expected to be up to 30 minutes. This affects Battlefield 3 PC Open Beta Online play.

Fixes include:

• Moderator icon has been added on the forums for moderators.
• Players with rank 45 will now recieve the correct icon on their stats page
• Improved the scroll handling in the Server Browser
• Added more patches for Leaderboards for Xbox 360 and PS3
• More accurate ping now shows up in the server browser
• More accurate number of players now show up in the server browser

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/devblog/view/2826551898687002285/

bluestuff

MuseManMike said:
SAIGA needs a fire-rate increase. M26 Mass is laughable. I need my shotguns.
noooo.jpg

They are good enough as is, shotguns in general are so easy to use and so easy to get kills that any buffs to them would make rush even more unplayable then it is now......

After putting 2 hours into tonight, I love it now. Besides the few technical problems the beta has it's playing great now. I've finally gotten back into the flow of the game, and it doesn't feel like MoH was online to me anymore.

JonCha

Need to fix the grenade throw animation which is broken: it always skips the sequence, sometime even showing two grenades being thrown!

Also, matchmaking is bad. Through invites that wouldn't work, Xbox's freezing, servers not being available and games lagging out me and the group I was in spent about 30 minutes messing around.

Nekrono

Unlocked the AEK-971 a while ago.... SO GOOD!

I was doing pretty good with the M416 with IRNV but man the AEK is definitely better, it handles pretty good, has almost no recoil and reloads pretty fast, loving it, I just need more attachments now.

Also got smoke grenades and it's good to know they are as good as in BC2, makes defending and arming MCOM's so much easier.

Jburton said:
I admit there is glitches but some people have been saying its unplayable.

I have run into glitches and some but almost no lag ........ but unplayable!

Some people are exaggerating issues to the same levels EA/DICE/gamers threw around hype.

Both extremes are nonsense!
It IS unplayable. I was running towards a destination (little time left to disarm) and i was almost there when i just fell through the fucking ground...

Being sniped by people that hide in a rock or in (IN) the ground. Invisible and untouchable.

For me, that makes it unplayable.

I experienced the least glitches in the underground metro part. I had fun there. I like the gameplay when the game is not falling apart technically. Buit it does, all the time.
I'm aware it's a beta. And i have huge faith in Dice that they will take care of all these glitches.

Kibbles

No terrain deformation lol already worse than BC2.

And they made the spotting even worse now? It already worked for shit before the patch, wtf? There is like no incentive to spotting, it always seems to disappear within a second.

Kibbles said:
No terrain deformation lol already worse than BC2.

And they made the spotting even worse now? It already worked for shit before the patch, wtf? There is like no incentive to spotting, it always seems to disappear within a second.

Terrain deformation was disabled for the beta because it was causing the glitch where people were falling into the map's terrain. It will be there in the retail game.

mr_nothin

Banned
Black_Stride said:
Get the FUCK out!.
Post screens + Hardware Setup + Software setup in order to achieve AA + SSGSSAA with stable frames.

I take it you do have ~60 frames?

Moaradin said:
screenshots
Nostalgia~4ever said:
Kyaw said:
Screens mang! How's the performance though?
woober said:
What is this nonsense you speak of? Share this!
Always-honest said:
what's your exact set up? I want to buy it.
Sorry about the whole wait. I've been filming all day. It's definitely NOT 60fps lol. It's like 30-60 fps. I'd say 30-45 on avg though. I have a Phenom II X4 Overclocked to 4ghz + geforce 570

Screenshots just wont do it justice. You have to see how it looks in action. I'll be uploading video ASAP

demolitio

So those of you who have tried the game on both PC and consoles, what settings do you think the console versions are closest to? Is it medium-low or worse? I'm just curious as I haven't had a chance to download it on PS3 but I've been itching to know to hopefully make myself feel better about my PC, lol.

I want to get the PC version for the 64 players and all that but I'm worried about my PC overheating and not being able to fix it up. A case is definitely on my Christmas list to hopefully help out a little bit. I just know my luck that the borderline parts right now will completely die on me as soon as I get the PC version. Still living with the damage caused by a 4850 spontaneously combusting. :D

desu

mr_nothin said:
Sorry about the whole wait. I've been filming all day. It's definitely NOT 60fps lol. It's like 30-60 fps. I'd say 30-45 on avg though. I have a Phenom II X4 Overclocked to 4ghz + geforce 570

Screenshots just wont do it justice. You have to see how it looks in action. I'll be uploading video ASAP

I hope not to youtube ;).

Screens!

I swear I'm gonna quit every match of Op. Metro in the retail game.

It's such a boring map. I really hope there aren't more maps like this. But then again, I'll be playing almost strictly Conquest, so it may not be a problem.

Top Bottom