• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

itsgreen

Manager said:
People have been mad about that. I think that if you were banned from the Bioware forums (trolling or whatever), you'd also be banned from your games. Complete lunacy, don't know if they fixed that.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424081

Support? Got any protips for that? I think that'll be my class. Just started, just unlocked the M249 and soon C4. Any fun unlocks in the first ~15 levels? Mines?

I saw this Support guide:
http://ps3.mmgn.com/Articles/Battlefield-3-Support-Kit-Unlock-Guide

Are the weapons progressively good, or just different? Seems like the PKP PECHENEG is next.

Speaking of rampage, epic one at 3:50:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7o7ln9RUWU#t=03m48s

PKP is pretty awesome...

You can check all details about unlocks and everything on Battlelog

Manager

red731 said:
I am hyper coffee squirell assault class, that revives wherever I can and love to take enemy dog tags.
I love how people are focusing on the biggest fights and leave all the other routes unprotected = going behind enemy backs and stabity stab.

I had four kills kill streak with knife haha. I almost wanted to shot, but screamed NO! and proceeded with my silent kill marathon.

Being defense, I don't understand why so many run to the right when a round starts. I had a game today and you could see like 12 dots just running on the right. I mean those people had to see they were like the whole team in one place.

Resulted in me and one guy having to defend the left site, obv didn't go well since most of their team approached our wing.

itsgreen said:
PKP is pretty awesome...

You can check all details about unlocks and everything on Battlelog

Thanks, forgot about the obvious.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Manager said:
Being defense, I don't understand why so many run to the right when a round starts. I had a game today and you could see like 12 dots just running on the right. I mean those people had to see they were like the whole team in one place.

Resulted in me and one guy having to defend the left site, obv didn't go well since most of their team approached our wing.
Funny that you say that everyone rushed to the right by A when you started up. I always head toward A since everyone always seems to go for B.

red731

Manager said:

Thanks, forgot about the obvious.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I and one other soldier, just us two were attacking the mcom while others were everywhere on the map, I was like wtf, come and help us win.
People should at least know, when they are defending, they should stick somewhat together and protect mcoms and when attacking, going in from sides and front to push the enemy and claim the mcom area.

I didn't write what I was thinking about -
the metro map in the hall, I stay and fight for a while and when people are covering, I run to the left side down some stairs and up again behind enemy lines, from where I kill the enemies and we can go further.

The only redeeming part of Operation Metro is trolling stupid attackers in the service tunnel with a LMG or a Bolt action Sniper with bipods^^

Went on a 15 killstreak yesterday there with the SV98 it was glorious, and people are too stupid to communicate anyway so I was pretty entertained while racking up the kills
Here's a good video to illustrate the fun you can have there:

trolling in service tunnel

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't see how that's trolling... that's just good defending.

Funnily enough I had that exact same song in my head when sniping there. It's such a stupid entry point that honestly everyone going in there twice after being killed once is a complete and utter retard.

If the shooter down there even halfway knows which button is used to shoot you'll never get anywhere close to killing him.

Does anyone else feel like the SMGs are way too overpowered this time around? I get one shot kills with the AKs74u all the time. Wonky hitboxes or simply damage inconsistencies?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
boris feinbrand said:
Does anyone else feel like the SMGs are way too overpowered this time around? I get one shot kills with the AKs74u all the time. Wonky hitboxes or simply damage inconsistencies?
It's a damage glitch that effects all weapons. I get a lot of random single shot kills with pistols.

Binabik15

Are the AMD beta drivers down? The page 404s on me.

Fraps worked for the first time today and I saw that it´s only 33-55 fps outside at 1050p with 2 6950s and an i5 2500k, WTF, not even everything Ultra :(

Update: Error found: WHO IN THE FLYING FUCK TURNED CROSSFIRE OFF?! Now I get over 60 fps all the time, but I haven´t tried all areas.

RoboPlato said:
It's a damage glitch that effects all weapons. I get a lot of random single shot kills with pistols.

Ah ok, and I was wondering why a random spray of my SMG killed two people in front of me lol^^

I kind of feel bad for DICE, the state this BETA is in is terrible. Considering how close to release the game is, the crunch must be brutal right now. On one hand you expect a beta to be glitchy, but this is barely playable at times (especially on 360 with those weird flashing glitches... gives me a headache)

scitek

Can't download it anymore? Says "service temporarily unavailable" when I try to log into Origin, but it's said that since yesterday.

EDIT: When I try to login on the "Get it now!" page. Not the Origin client itself, I can log into that.

Nalsh

zlatko said:
Is this game still down? I've been trying for over 3 hours now to get into a game and I just sit a joining server...

I was having the same problem and just realized the game client was still running. So just kill the bf3.exe process and you should be golden. Sounds like a problem with having too much RAM.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Good God the .44 Magnum, GOOD FUCKING GOD!

That shit is God's Dick in Your Hand

I got a Motherfucking Double Kill off 1 Bullet...WAT!?!

It was a Double Kill Headshot to boot LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Unreal

SVD rate of fire is ridiculous, now I know why recons stay with it lol

I was on 28 kill streak, my team mate comes behind me and runs behind trying to take cover but in the process he is pushing me out of cover, which gets me killed
So fucking stupid, enemies can run through me, team mates clip and keep pushing me, and the squad spawn gots to go, that shit needs an overhaul, three of my squad members all spawned on me, 2 in front of me, 1 behind me, I get jarred in between them, can't move until they leave the area, which they don't

Also the freezing is getting out of hand now, before it happened in non combat areas, now I'll be in a firefight, go 2 seconds frozen, then unfreeze to my death =/
Also love when you try to kill an enemy that is frozen, they just stay there, but all the bullets they shot still register, even though they are fucking frozen

FIX THE FUCKING Reviving Animations
, for fuck sakes, I don't need BF3 avatars to act like Jesus Bynum when they try to revive, looks so f'n stupid
(They spread out their arms like they are about to blast off into space)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I've gotten three of the same emails from EA each day all saying "welcome to the beta"

What the fuck

Grokbu

RoboPlato said:
I got one-shotted by a shotgun from far away. -_-
Binabik15 said:
Are the AMD beta drivers down? The page 404s on me.

Fraps worked for the first time today and I saw that it´s only 33-55 fps outside at 1050p with 2 6950s and an i5 2500k, WTF, not even everything Ultra :(

Update: Error found: WHO IN THE FLYING FUCK TURNED CROSSFIRE OFF?! Now I get over 60 fps all the time, but I haven´t tried all areas.
Sorry, I don't have a link atm. But I do believe that you can find the drivers at Guru3D.

Regardin crossfire. I believe I get worse performance with it turned on and fullscreen doesn't work. :(

derFeef

Teetris said:
I've gotten three of the same emails from EA each day all saying "welcome to the beta"

What the fuck
Then you signed up three times to the newsletter. Or have several accounts with different emails. OR several accounts with the same email but different games... and so on ;)

Binabik15

boris feinbrand said:
The only redeeming part of Operation Metro is trolling stupid attackers in the service tunnel with a LMG or a Bolt action Sniper with bipods^^

Went on a 15 killstreak yesterday there with the SV98 it was glorious, and people are too stupid to communicate anyway so I was pretty entertained while racking up the kills

Well, two rockets netted me two death defenders and an empty tunnel right now, but I died to the second guy while my rocket was flying. He had 5% health after my first rocket -.-

darkwing

boris feinbrand said:
Ah ok, and I was wondering why a random spray of my SMG killed two people in front of me lol^^

I kind of feel bad for DICE, the state this BETA is in is terrible. Considering how close to release the game is, the crunch must be brutal right now. On one hand you expect a beta to be glitchy, but this is barely playable at times (especially on 360 with those weird flashing glitches... gives me a headache)
don't worry the flashing happens in the pc version too

Woorloog

Banned
jet1911 said:
The mines sucks, can't even blow them up like in BC2. :(
They're AT mines, infantry do not trigger them. I think.

SVD with Suppressor, IR scope/PSO-1 and Bipod/Foregrip is a beast. Suppressor increases bullet drop a lot but i'm better sniper with heavy bullet drop than without.
I play offensively, go to enemy positions and snipe them there or try to flank them.

Woorloog said:
They're AT mines, infantry do not trigger them. I think.

You could shoot them to make them explode in BC2, maybe you can't do that anymore?

And grenades absolutely suck in this game. No cooking and they don't seem to have any physics so they don't bounce or roll and it doesn't feel like you can throw them far enough. BC2 had it perfect. DICE are such fucking idiots.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
MMaRsu said:
Ps3 version patched yet?

Retail Man, I highly doubt they are gonna patch this

Only 9 days till Beta goes bye bye and 13 days from there for retail release

Binabik15 said:
Well, two rockets netted me two death defenders and an empty tunnel right now, but I died to the second guy while my rocket was flying. He had 5% health after my first rocket -.-

Then he was a massive idiot simple as that. If the shooter knows it's stuff you will NEVER get far enough to shoot a rocket at him, especially not if he is smart enough to switch positions from time to time (going farther back or to the front throws off the asumed distance)

Miggytronz

GraveRobberX said:
Retail Man, I highly doubt they are gonna patch this

Only 9 days till Beta goes bye bye and 13 days from there for retail release

THIS

Dont expect them to fix something thats prolly months old as is when Final Retail is releasing within a month.

MMaRsu

Mikasangelos said:
THIS

Dont expect them to fix something thats prolly months old as is when Final Retail is releasing within a month.
Great, ill wait a few months to buy it then

Calibur

boris feinbrand said:

I love doing too, it'll teach people to think and communicate.

zlatko

Banned
Managed to get it to work again and got a few more games in. Had a weird glitch where the whole screen would sort of flash every few seconds. Anyone know what is causing this?

Also, is DICE serious about how fucking bright these flashlights and stupid laser sights are? I mean it SORT of makes sense how bright they are in the dark areas in the subway, but I came out to the city and it blinded me just as much out in the freaking sun. WTF?

Sethos

Banned
I think it's admirable that some people still believe this to be a 'teamplay' experience. Nobody gives a fuck about objectives anymore, due to the layout and the pitiful amount of points you get for winning / going for objectives, it has turned into a K/D ratio fest.

Binabik15

I drop down, shoot rocket, he dead.

Anyway, with 60 fps this is a whole new game plus PP2000 with laser and suppresor and my rpg <3<3<3

I´m getting actually good!

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Sethos said:
I think it's admirable that some people still believe this to be a 'teamplay' experience. Nobody gives a fuck about objectives anymore, due to the layout and the pitiful amount of points you get for winning / going for objectives, it has turned into a K/D ratio fest.

Yeah but I figure its because of the lousy design for this map. I just pre ordered the limited edition from amazon on pc, but I wont be playing until the final release hits... Besides, Dark Souls release tomorrow, no time for a beta anymore ;p!

itsgreen

Yeah, I am positive that this breaks some MS TRC... thought I was being smart by routing voice to headset only in preferences... won't work. Still outputs voice over my tv...

zlatko

Banned
Sethos said:

I haven't been worrying about my k/d in the beta, but if Metro launches in this poor state, there is no fucking way you will ever find me willingly playing as attacker on that map. It's just a giant donation to the defenders.

TheJerit

Grokbu said:
Weird. I've got two 4850s in crossfire, but I have to disable crossfire to be able to use fullscreen, otherwise my game crashes.
But when I want to use fullscreen I have to use a resolution lower than 1680x1050 (my screen's res) or else it stays windowed and the screen goes black.

Now I'm not completely sure, but I think I have higher framerate with crossfire disabled too.
'm guessing that these issues will be fixed when the game's out, though.

For anyone wondering, I have installed the BF3 Beta patch.

Anyways. Outside of the bugs, I'm having lots of fun with this, and this will probably be one of my least favourite maps too!

I didn't have the problem with my 4850s not being able to go full screen or anything like that, but they just didn't run smooth and I think some crashes were the result of them. I had a smoother experience with just one 4850. however I picked up a 5850 on Saturday and haven't looked back since ;-)

also are you running with the latest driver?

Bit-Bit said:
The alpha had a tank that for someone reason is missing in the beta. But rest assured, the tank can clear out hiding spots really freakin fast on Metro.

Yes, they removed the most Battlefield-ish element from the beta, the one vehicle - basically making this feel like a re purposed Medal of Honor reject map.

Sethos

Banned
zlatko said:
I haven't been worrying about my k/d in the beta, but if Metro launches in this poor state, there is no fucking way you will ever find me willingly playing as attacker on that map. It's just a giant donation to the defenders.

Exactly, the attackers are just lamb for the slaughter - Playing as a defender is relaxing and it'll net you a fair amount of kills in 80% of the matches, unless the attackers are really good. That's basically when the game takes a big ass nose dive towards the bottom; when you play attacker, god it sucks. Especially now that everyone realizes what a shitty disadvantage attackers are at from the get-go, people tend to push attackers all the way back to their spawn and keep them there for the duration of the round.

IF attackers by some miracle manage to push the game to the metro, the defenders job gets even easier, this is where most games are decided. The 10% of the times where games continue past this point it's because the attackers are somewhat decent and the last two areas are a breeze.

Defenders shouldn't start with excellent high ground, lots of solid cover and easy access to advantageous positions. DICE completely lost the plot. Attackers just got a bunch of shitty bushes you can't see shit through and the second you reveal and inch of your body, you got 5 guys firing hot lead at you.

I stopped giving a shit when I hit level 10 - Now I got for the kills, usually lands me in the top 5 and I'm now at a 2.1+ K/D ratio.

Calibur said:
I love doing too, it'll teach people to think and communicate.

No it won't. It will teach them that playing with randoms is terrible with or without communication. That's my main reason to stay clear of BF3. Thanks to my varying time schedule I can't really play online with a fixed group of people and I'm not going to endure another Battlefield game played with randoms. I might get it for PC at some point next year, but given how unimpressed I was by the Beta I feel like I'm not missing much to be honest.

mug

I'm still wondering why they took out the tank for Metro. I found the courtyard and 2nd to last checkpoint the most difficult.

Grokbu

TheJerit said:
I didn't have the problem with my 4850s not being able to go full screen or anything like that, but they just didn't run smooth and I think some crashes were the result of them. I had a smoother experience with just one 4850. however I picked up a 5850 on Saturday and haven't looked back since ;-)

also are you running with the latest driver?
Oh, so I'm not the only one getting better performance with one card? I would think that it would run at least as good as with crossfire enabled.

Funny thing. I tried running fullscreen with crossfire on just now and it worked.

I have got the latest driver, yeah. I wouldn't have anything against getting a new card either, but I'm sharing the PC I'm on, so I'd have to ask the others before getting a new one. :<

NIN90

mug said:
I'm still wondering why they took out the tank for Metro. I found the courtyard and 2nd to last checkpoint the most difficult.

The first part of the map is balanced pretty well right now in my opinion, with the relocated bomb spots and added cover.
The APC would make it too easy for the attackers.

Top Bottom