• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Menelaus

Banned
Megasoum said:
Considering that there is a "Game: Battlefield 3" field in the Battlelog's filters I assume that they did that to leave room for Karkand.
There was already a leaked shot of Battlelog with another checkbox for Karkand.

Mr. Snrub said:
Battlefieldo pretty much is spot on. If you got to play Caspian Border, you'll be excited for the final game and understand it's a true sequel to BF2.

Unfortunately, most everyone is playing Operation Metro, which is only a decent (not even great) Rush map and really doesn't show off much that makes Battlefield 3 great (engineer role is underutilized, 32 player count, no vehicles, Rush, small map, and not visually impressive).

No. Metro is not a decent map by any standard. It is honestly killing my interest in playing the beta.

Woorloog

Banned
questionmark said:
No. Metro is not a decent map by any standard. It is honestly killing my interest in playing the beta.
Play Halo Reach and tell me Metro is not decent map. Reach has such shitty maps Metro feels very good. True, different game, different gameplay but still...
And certainly beats quite many BFBC2 Rush maps...

And a question for everyone:
What pistol are you using? I'm sticking with MP443 Tactical/M9 Tactical currently, G17C didn't feel good nor do i like suppressed variants. And since i'm not using Tactical Light on my main weapons, having it on the pistol is useful

Makoto

It's crazy how in the final section of Metro, all the Attackers need to do is take over the 3-story buildings and it turns into Omaha Beach for the Defenders. I stumbled into one server where the Defenders were just stuck in the deployment area and I had to use my smoke grenades to get out.

vidal said:
It's crazy how in the final section of Metro, all the Attackers need to do is take over the 3-story buildings and it turns into Omaha Beach for the Defenders. I stumbled into one server where the Defenders were just stuck in the deployment area and I had to use my smoke grenades to get out.

Honestly if the attackers manage to make it to the final section, they deserve their murder-fest.

Moaradin

I like how each section is set up. Feels like you are actually progressing. The park section just sucks though. I liked it better in alpha with the tank and squad leader spawning only.

Woorloog

Banned
Moaradin said:
squad leader spawning only.
This is something i'd like to have. Would make mobile spawnpoints a lot more important. Also, i think both attackers and defenders should always have two spawn points, on left and right side of the map.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
fanboi said:
Wait, there is a third section in Metro?!

HAHahAHAHahahhaHHAHAHahahaHAHAahahAha

Yeap, after you exit the colon that is the subway it leads to a toilet bowl shootout.

vidal said:

Yeah, if your team makes it to the final set of mcom's and doesn't win, the only possible explanation would be the suddent onset of aneurysm/s for the attackers.

TheJerit

iSurvivedTheOutage said:
I couldve swore they said Back to Karkand was going to be there on release for people with limited editions.

pack is included with the limited edition, so if you guy now, you get it for free. its release, however, will be sometime after the game's release. I'm with HotHamWater and expect to see it out in time for the holidays.

Boof

Izayoi said:
We'll probably see it about a month after launch.
They should forget the expansion and focus on squashing bugs. If this one map is buggy forget about the rest of them

TheJerit

iSurvivedTheOutage said:
I couldve swore they said Back to Karkand was going to be there on release for people with limited editions.

pack is included with the limited edition, so if you guy now, you get it for free. its release, however, will be sometime after the game's release. I'm with HotHamWater and expect to see it out in time for the holidays.

Spl1nter

Battlefield 3 Open Beta Update #2

The Battlefield 3 Open Beta is based on software that is more than one month old. We need to test the new back end dedicated server structure we’ve built. Not only have we built a new game engine, but an entirely new back end system so that everyone can enjoy the benefits of dedicated servers on all platforms.

The biggest reason for running the Open Beta is to stress test our servers and back end. Already, we are seeing 6 times the number of simultaneous players in the Battlefield 3 Open Beta compared to the Beta for Battlefield: Bad Company 2! The fact that Battlefield 3 is clearly our biggest game launch ever by a magnitude of 6 makes it doubly important to test everything.

Weird "this beta is a beta" post from Troedsson

Thank you for playing the Open Beta and making the final game better!

We are very excited to see so many gamers join our Battlefield 3 Open Beta. Here’s an update on the Open Beta from DICE General Manager Karl Magnus Troedsson.

I want to give you an overview of how the Open Beta is helping us shape a fantastic final game, what we are implementing based on your feedback, and how the Open Beta will help us deliver a robust gaming environment from day one.

The Open Beta is a true Beta
The Battlefield 3 Open Beta is based on software that is more than one month old. We need to test the new back end dedicated server structure we’ve built. Not only have we built a new game engine, but an entirely new back end system so that everyone can enjoy the benefits of dedicated servers on all platforms.

Just like normal procedure when releasing a game, the Open Beta has had long lead times due to testing, certification, and setting up. This means that the code you are now playing is actually quite early and not representative of the final game.

We had to do this in order to have as many people testing as possible, in order to ensure a top quality experience when the game is released. However, we’re confident in the Battlefield formula and confident that our fans will support us in order to make Battlefield 3 better.

Dedicated servers require dedicated testing
The biggest reason for running the Open Beta is to stress test our servers and back end. Already, we are seeing 6 times the number of simultaneous players in the Battlefield 3 Open Beta compared to the Beta for Battlefield: Bad Company 2! The fact that Battlefield 3 is clearly our biggest game launch ever by a magnitude of 6 makes it doubly important to test everything.

We are constantly updating the News section on Battlelog with information on what we are fixing from Open Beta to final. We appreciate your time and your feedback. The data and feedback from the Open Beta will not only directly affect the final game of Battlefield 3, but its future development and support.

We’re heading out on the road this week to let journalists experience all aspects of Battlefield 3. Stay tuned for their previews, and stay tuned for the final game on October 25th. The final game will look, play and sound better than the Open Beta. You have helped making sure of that.

Karl Magnus Troedsson
General Manager, DICE

Open Beta Update #2.

Edit: beaten

ultron87

Damn, that's the kind of update where I was hoping they'd end it by going "AND CASPIAN BORDER FOR ALL!"

I really don't see what they stand to lose by letting everyone play that map.

Spl1nter said:

Starting with some damage control. They must be panicking at EA and DICE headquarters. If I were them I would have stated this beta build is over 4 months old for good measures.

And the fact he mentions once again the 25th October as a release date means they won't delay their launch to give the game a couple more months of polishing. I can understand they want badly to launch before CoD but please don't ship a buggy game. Take your time to release something extrelemely polished you can be proud of.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ultron87 said:
Damn, that's the kind of update where I was hoping they'd end it by going "AND CASPIAN BORDER FOR ALL!"

I really don't see what they stand to lose by letting everyone play that map.
Looks like they're working out some server side issues. Caspian matches alternated between butter smooth and unplayably laggy.

So the Beta is from a month old build? Then the games condition is worse than I thought. You guys don't think the kinds of problems this game has can be fixed in a month do you? The Crysis 2 leak was from a version of the game that was 4 months old and it was obvious that the kinds of problems it had weren't fixable by launch, and indeed they were not fixed.

Right now at this time in development (I would guess the discs need to be in production by tomorrow to make it in stores by the 24th) they should be only fixing very small bugs and making minor cuts to the game to make it run better. That's really what the last 3 or 4 months are supposed to be for, polish. Not huge problems like falling through geometry and spawning out of teammates asses.

vidal said:

Given how easy it is to defend the subway MCOMs, it's almost a reward for the attackers if they blast through to the last section.

Ezduo

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Given how easy it is to defend the subway MCOMs, it's almost a reward for the attackers if they blast through to the last section.
Truth. Was on a team last night getting steamrolled and by the time we were getting spawn camped at the last m-comm station all I could say is, "We pretty much deserve this considering how incredibly easy it is to just go prone and camp in the subway." Never ceases to amaze me to see teams lose Metro.

rdrr gnr

Izayoi said:
There is no winning.
This has been every DICE game this generation. I know you play PC so it might not have been as bad, but BC2 on consoles the first few weeks was absolutely abysmal, as was 1943. When and if I put in the disc and the servers hold up, DICE will be vindicated and I'll stop complaining.

Just to clarify -- I'm not complaining about what can be objectively labeled as a "glitch" or "bug."

With all the BS hype EA and DICE have been building, they should've released this as a splash screen when the beta went live similar to what Bungie and 343 do with Reach ie. make the console ppl read this the first time they boot up the game before letting them play.

Your average, COD only, console player has no concept of what goes into developing a multiplatform game. Sadly most of my friends who fit this description thought this was indicative of final quality.
I guess I have idiots for friends :(

Yaska

Is it just me or have cheaters started to appear? Just played a round where a guy just sat in the spawn according his killcam and shot all of us. Now and then he would play fair but the instant someone killed him, he started his cheats again. Another cheater was proned before me, shot him multiple times (got the hit animation from crosshair) but yet he killed me and had 100% health left. I really wish punkbuster or some anti-cheat program would be enabled for this beta.

I H8 Memes said:
So the Beta is from a month old build? Then the games condition is worse than I thought. You guys don't think the kinds of problems this game has can be fixed in a month do you? The Crysis 2 leak was from a version of the game that was 4 months old and it was obvious that the kinds of problems it had weren't fixable by launch, and indeed they were not fixed.

Right now at this time in development (I would guess the discs need to be in production by tomorrow to make it in stores by the 24th) they should be only fixing very small bugs and making minor cuts to the game to make it run better. That's really what the last 3 or 4 months are supposed to be for, polish. Not huge problems like falling through geometry and spawning out of teammates asses.

Huge day one patch is pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point.

I H8 Memes said:

They've already said they have a fix in the final. So there goes that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I H8 Memes said:

The severity of a bug doesn't necessarily indicate how difficult it is to fix. In fact, the hardest bugs to fix are typically the ones that are difficult to replicate.

Arnie

Even with the bugs this is still the greatest war game I've ever played. I loved the Alpha on PC and I'm loving the Beta on 360. The guns feel so good. As do the audio and graphics.

MNC

Just had a great (for me) match with 29 kills 10 deaths. Suck on that, attackers. Match was horribly laggy though and enemies disappeared and reappeared continuously :(

I miss Caspian :(

zomaha

fanboi said:
So why does the game freeze from time to time? Lagg? Memory leak?

I had an error pop up once saying one of my video drivers failed. But I only recall it happening once and I've frozen many-a-time since.

fanboi said:
So why does the game freeze from time to time? Lagg? Memory leak?

I'm getting the same, it's not lag but I doubt it's a memory leak as well, it clears up pretty fast something memory leaks usually don't. Probably just a nasty bug somewhere.

Effect

I see nothing in those notes about being able to quit the game after a match instead of being forced to wait until you actually spawn in the next match. I've taken to playing the beta in window mode as a result of this. I don't like being locked into the game like that. Another deal breaker for me. :(

Top Bottom