• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Nabs

Effect said:
I see nothing in those notes about being able to quit the game after a match instead of being forced to wait until you actually spawn in the next match. I've taken to playing the beta in window mode as a result of this. I don't like being locked into the game like that. Another deal breaker for me. :(

Alt+F4

CozMick

Banned
I don't believe this game has the best visuals around but my god the gameplay is second to NONE!

No other first person shooter that I've played this gen comes close to the weapon handling.

jaaz

Moaradin said:
I like how each section is set up. Feels like you are actually progressing. The park section just sucks though. I liked it better in alpha with the tank and squad leader spawning only.

I know it's crazy, but Metro is actually growing on me after playing it a gazillion times. But I still cheer whenever I join a game in progress and the game is at the subway stage. If they modified the park section to give the attackers a fair chance, I think many of the problems would go away, because right now a good team can shut down those M-Coms like it's nobody's business. For example, I love how they put a giant 30 foot wall next to the "A" M-Com that a defender can just crouch behind and pick off attackers as they try and arm the M-Com. So long as you watch out for flanking (and its near impossible for you to get flanked in that area since its so close to the spawn point) you can camp... eh defend! all day long...

rdrr gnr

When the update says "tweaks" to ranking, what exactly does that mean? The rate at which you level is absolutely perfect as it stands.

Izayoi said:
Likely changes to ribbon/medals. As it stands, it's way too easy to farm certain medals due to low ribbon requirements.
Right. I was implying that the overall XP to level up (regardless of how it is required) feels good.

Izayoi

Banned
MuseManMike said:
When the update says "tweaks" to ranking, what exactly does that mean? The rate at which you level is absolutely perfect as it stands.
Likely changes to ribbon/medals. As it stands, it's way too easy to farm certain medals due to low ribbon requirements.

J-Rzez

In theory, the UMP is firing .45 ammo, thus it should be pretty strong in close range. But, the problem with it is that the damage doesn't really fall off at range really, which is especially important to game balance. They need to get that damage to fall off considerably at ranges beyond close.

Sethos

Banned
J-Rzez said:
In theory, the UMP is firing .45 ammo, thus it should be pretty strong in close range. But, the problem with it is that the damage doesn't really fall off at range really, which is especially important to game balance. They need to get that damage to fall off considerably at ranges beyond close.

Strong, yes but it shouldn't out damage 5.56 rounds by a huge margin, it shouldn't fire fast and arrow straight.

MuseManMike said:

Right. I was implying that the overall XP to level up (regardless of how it is required) feels good.

I think its way to short, already seen people in the prestige mode with "service stars".

Manager

nephilimdj said:
I think its way to short, already seen people in the prestige mode with "service stars".

End-round ribbons is a lot of XP, some of it is ridiculous. You get so many bonus points for everything. I guess it's there to level up the noobs, but it's too much.

Gvaz

Banned
RoboPlato said:
There's 4 bases. 1 in the park, 2 in the subway, and 1 in the city.
I played this for about a dozen matches the other day and I only ever got as far as the subway.

Izayoi

Banned
bf32011-09-2800-44-50-fj8v.png

bf32011-09-2800-45-29-7jkt.png

bf32011-09-2800-47-57-x8mv.png

bf32011-09-2800-48-42-h8lo.png

bf32011-09-2800-51-08-1k00.png

Soma

Manager said:
He keeps talking of long distance but it doesn't seem that effective long-range. Plus, when in close combat, it seems to take longer to put the aim up than when you have a different traditional scope.

I don't see how it's more effective than a traditional gun.
As an attacker I've gotten a few defenders at their spawn from the second floor of one of the buildings at the last set of MCOMs with the 870 with a Holographic.

Sometimes takes a few shots but a headshot usually does the trick. It's pretty hilarious.

I'm assuming this will be changed in retail though. :V

darkwing

moonspeak said:
As an attacker I've gotten a few defenders at their spawn from the second floor of one of the buildings at the last set of MCOMs with the 870 with a Holographic.

Sometimes takes a few shots but a headshot usually does the trick. It's pretty hilarious.

yup, the bullet spread is like a shotgun even at great distances lol its like a small cannon

Metalmurphy said:
I remember a twitter saying we could destroy that big tower in caspian border...

Well, you can't... -.-

water is static too right now and I doubt that will be something in retail. i would think hope it is just because its a beta.

Anilusion

Metalmurphy said:
I remember a twitter saying we could destroy that big tower in caspian border...

Well, you can't... -.-

Didn't they turn off destruction to prevent the glitch with people running around below the ground?

Anilusion said:
Didn't they turn off destruction to prevent the glitch with people running around below the ground?

No they turned off ground deformation. The tower might be a result of toned down destruction, though.

Sitting on the platform on the tower with a stinger is pimping.

so far i like the beta overall. though if i was dice, using the operation metro was a bad choice for a open beta. for one, i know it's going to turn away a lot of potential players not buying the full retail. the whole draw of bf3 was the vehicles and destructive gameplay which metro doesn't really shine at. so beta's being almost as a marketing tool, a map like caspian border wouldve i think increase bf buyers versus metro turning off a lot of players.

i for one pretty sick of the beta already. it's one of those maps on the full retail where everyone is going to veto.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
macfoshizzle said:
so far i like the beta overall. though if i was dice, using the operation metro was a bad choice for a open beta. for one, i know it's going to turn away a lot of potential players not buying the full retail. the whole draw of bf3 was the vehicles and destructive gameplay which metro doesn't really shine at. so beta's being almost as a marketing tool, a map like caspian border wouldve i think increase bf buyers versus metro turning off a lot of players.

i for one pretty sick of the beta already. it's one of those maps on the full retail where everyone is going to veto.
My guess for why they chose Metro would be that they're convinced the vast majority of Battlefield fans and vehicle fans are going to buy their game anyway, so they primarily have to sell CoD and infantry fans on the game.

Glassboy

I don't even think that screen shots do this game justice. It looks so goddamn good in motion. Probably the best looking game I've played yet. Although, I am currently working my way through the witcher, so once I beat that, the witcher 2 may take the graphics crown just based on what I've heard and seen.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I really don't understand why a "battlefield type map" isn't in the console demo. It makes zero sense.

Glassboy said:
I don't even think that screen shots do this game justice. It looks so goddamn good in motion. Probably the best looking game I've played yet. Although, I am currently working my way through the witcher, so once I beat that, the witcher 2 may take the graphics crown just based on what I've heard and seen.

this is multiplayer though, usually single player looks much better in fps games.

Top Bottom