• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Ezduo

Banned
mcrae said:
how do i defuse something? i walked up to it and was pressing e but nothing happened, then boom
You have to hold E while looking at it in a specific way. If you're looking at the base it probably won't defuse but if you're holding E somewhere around the height of the monitor it should defuse.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nostalgia~4ever said:
this is multiplayer though, usually single player looks much better in fps games.
A lot of FPS have been a lot closer in visual quality lately. I'm really hoping that there isn't much of a disparity between the single and multiplayer graphics in this, particularly in the console versions. I thought the Operation Guillotine 360 version looked great but the beta isn't looking so hot on PS3. Hopefully the retail gets a significant visual bump.

iam220

Nirolak said:
My guess for why they chose Metro would be that they're convinced the vast majority of Battlefield fans and vehicle fans are going to buy their game anyway, so they primarily have to sell CoD and infantry fans on the game.

Well they'd be correct in their reasoning, bf fans who cancelled their pre-order based on this beta are just going to come crawling back come release time
that's right, you know you are
but I can't help but think that the COD fans would be more impressed with the open maps and vehicles than the infantry only combat we got. I mean, if they wanted what COD already offers than I'd think they'd stick with COD, because of familiarity, 60 fps (on consoles), cod is a damn good infantry shooter, etc etc

belvedere

Junior Butler
On top of the antenna.

I miss you Caspian :(

ioxqoH7qbpJUy.bmp

VariantX

Hellcrow said:
Will there be a demo?

There ought to be a demo with near final code that i assume dosen't have all these bugs and glitches in it. To many people, this beta IS the demo, and have left lots of people with a bad impression of the game. Also, no rush, just conquest. Conquest IS battlefield, rush is just the sideshow. I don't hate rush, but conquest in BF just has so much more in it to get people hooked.

VariantX said:
There ought to be a demo with near final code that i assume dosen't have all these bugs and glitches in it. To many people, this beta IS the demo, and have left lots of people with a bad impression of the game. Also, no rush, just conquest. Conquest IS battlefield, rush is just the sideshow. I don't hate rush, but conquest in BF just has so much more in it to get people hooked.

Yes but I suspect DICE has let metro continue onto the BETA to appeal the COD crowds.

I agree, Rush and such maps are NOT what Battlefield is about. But at the time BF2 released there was no such thing as modern warfare and MP FPS were not as mainstream as it is now.

So, while I was disapointed by the map chosen, I however understand why.

EDIT :

PS : I hope they do something for the chat box, I don't like it beeing up there. Also a possibility to let it blend more with the screen would be ace.

Wazzim

Banned
Used the shotgun because of the video someone posted here and IT IS TRUE.
The thing is absolutely amazing in this mode, everybody rushing (lol) through the map while you shoot them 1 for 1 with your shotgun, I'm using the pistol for far distances and even that works great.
Got like an 50% increase in kills.

soultron

Banned
It's funny seeing PC shots of the CQC knife animations. They look great.

On console you can't even tell what's happening. It's like you're forcing the other guy into a hug so awkward that he dies of embarrassment.

Shadybiz

I was actually pretty impressed with my system's performance just now. I have decided to get BF3 for the PS3, but figured I'd give the beta a try on the PC anyway. I installed a new driver because the game crashed in the subway portion, but after that it ran pretty smooth.
GTX 460
i5 750 @ 2.67
6 GB DDR3
Win 7

Got around 45 fps at 1080, with most settings on High. Computer sounded like it was about to lift off, but stayed at a reasonable temperature.

It's nice to know this, so maybe in a year or something if there's a big discount, I can double dip.

jaaz

Damn those screens are nice. Metro on Ultra looks pretty good, but Caspian is in another league of it's own. Why so much disparity in PQ between the two maps, is that what Dice meant by it's "this is an old build" blog post?

bitoriginal

Played this on xbox tonight, couple of things I'd like to clarify:

1) Me and my friend tried to play together, but got put in different squads. I dunno if it's because I was high, but I couldn't see a way to actually join a squad with a friend? Trying to get them to 'join game' through the xmb was greyed out.

2) When I quit a game, it just ended up loading for ages so I had to quit to dashboard. Is this the case for everyone?

Deadly

bitoriginal said:
Played this on xbox tonight, couple of things I'd like to clarify:

1) Me and my friend tried to play together, but got put in different squads. I dunno if it's because I was high, but I couldn't see a way to actually join a squad with a friend? Trying to get them to 'join game' through the xmb was greyed out.
Unfortunately, it wasn't the drugs :lol

jaaz said:
Damn those screens are nice. Metro on Ultra looks pretty good, but Caspian is in another league of it's own. Why so much disparity in PQ between the two maps, is that what Dice meant by it's "this is an old build" blog post?
Ultra isn't enabled in beta. It says it's there, but it's not it.

Nizz

RoboPlato said:
A lot of FPS have been a lot closer in visual quality lately. I'm really hoping that there isn't much of a disparity between the single and multiplayer graphics in this, particularly in the console versions. I thought the Operation Guillotine 360 version looked great but the beta isn't looking so hot on PS3. Hopefully the retail gets a significant visual bump.
Same here. I know there can be a slight difference between SP and MP in FPS games, the SP looks better. But seeing that 360 SP footage I thought damn, the console versions will look great.

But when I booted up the beta, admittedly I wasn't impressed. I didn't see this jump in graphics from Bad Company 2. I'm on PS3 so I don't know how the 360 version looks.

I really hope the final game looks better than the beta. That battlelog blog post about the beta being over a month old gave me some confidence that the final product will be better. I can only get one MP game this season (for now) and I decided to go with BF3 this season. That Newegg deal was too good to pass up.

Izayoi

Banned
Deadly said:
Apparently squad management will be through Battlelog.
Did they confirm that it would be for consoles as well?

I was under the impression that consoles used their own system.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
macfoshizzle said:
so far i like the beta overall. though if i was dice, using the operation metro was a bad choice for a open beta. for one, i know it's going to turn away a lot of potential players not buying the full retail. the whole draw of bf3 was the vehicles and destructive gameplay which metro doesn't really shine at. so beta's being almost as a marketing tool, a map like caspian border wouldve i think increase bf buyers versus metro turning off a lot of players.

i for one pretty sick of the beta already. it's one of those maps on the full retail where everyone is going to veto.

Yeah I bought the game but stopped playing the beta after the first day... just don't like the map at all. A lot of people will just not buy it because of this... real bad move DICE!

Izayoi

Banned
jacobs34 said:
It would be reprehensible if they didn't.
I agree. As it is, the console system is pretty broken. It kind of works, and with the recent update getting your squad split up between multiple teams is more rare than it was before, but it still happens. Getting into the same team AND the same squad, however, is like a miracle.

Gaogaogao

Mr. Snrub said:
They've already said they have a fix in the final. So there goes that.
so, if they really do, why not push that to the open beta? do they really think this build is fit for an open beta? I just fell under the map like 20 times in a row.

DTKT

Gaogaogao said:
so, if they really do, why not push that to the open beta? do they really think this build is fit for an open beta? I just fell under the map like 20 times in a row.

This is the end crunch. 7 days of week, 18 hours day till they have a master candidate!

No point in updating the beta.

vaelic

Banned
DTKT said:
This is the end crunch. 7 days of week, 18 hours day till they have a master candidate!

No point in updating the beta.
yep. so long as they keep listening to feedback and prepping patches, no need to update beta

DTKT

Gaogaogao said:
I would be more convinced if they should show us, not tell us that they are listening...

Oh, I know. We just have words for now. But heh, we have no real control over that. So best not fret over that kind of stuff.

Makoto

I suppose that mindset makes sense. The people who have already been alienated by the beta no longer want to purchase the game. All that's left are the people who are going to buy it or are on the fence. So no point in updating the beta.

Here are some of my beautiful shots of the Caspian Landscape... I picked out all of the ones that I felt looked the absolute best.

They have been Re-Sized to 1280x720 from 2560x1440, click on each image to see the original size.

G_Berry

Banned
I'm still in shock that DICE showed off Metro AGAIN as opposed to Caspian Border.

How out of touch are these guys?

My guess is that they didn't want all the PC gamers playing that awesome map with 64 players and showing the huge disparity between the lowly 24 player version on consoles (gotta nab those COD crowd dollars)

Suits would've discussed that in a meeting for sure.

Top Bottom