• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Souljiro

belvedere said:
There's no way they intend on leaving the current automatic squad management system.

At least I hope not. Surely not.

No way.

Right?

From the looks of it yes and also using battlelog for squads. :/

AndyD

aka andydumi
Need some advice from the PC aficionados...

I have been playing bf3 on a resolution lower than 1920 by 1080, on my 2010 i3 iMac...

If I wanted to build a pc capable of playing it on the highest resolution, with no graphics issues, what hardware should I buy, + costs, etc.

I would google this, but the information seems a little dated...

What do you mean on the highest resolution? Because that goes well beyond 1080p. Particularly if you involve multiple monitors.

I would look for the new PC thread and they have systems for all budgets in there.

I would say for 1080p, from scratch, probably 1000 or less to get a system that runs maxed out. Go beyond 1080p and the price goes up.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Souljiro said:

I wouldn't be entirely opposed to squad management in Battlelog I guess, as long as I can join specific squads and invite squadmates as I choose, though it would make a lot more sense integrated into the game client.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
AndyD said:
What do you mean on the highest resolution? Because that goes well beyond 1080p. Particularly if you involve multiple monitors.

I would look for the new PC thread and they have systems for all budgets in there.

I would say for 1080p, from scratch, probably 1000 or less to get a system that runs maxed out. Go beyond 1080p and the price goes up.

Sorry I should have specified resolution for one monitor...

The newer PC thread isn't getting a lot of attention, and I figured if people on here are playing BF3 with great spec computers they would have some specific advice...

iam220

Why are the retail patch notes identical to the server side patch the beta got? Is that a mistake or am I missing something here?

J-Rzez

Noisepurge said:
Does anyone have any opinions on why you should use the Muzzle break instead of a Silencer? They both weaken the damage :/

Muzzle break lowers accuracy iirc, while Suppressor lowers damage at range. So it's take your pick of what you'd think is the better trade off. Personally, I just use suppressors because I like to flank and/or give overwatch.

AndyD

aka andydumi

RBK

Banned
Am I able to play the beta without a Nvidia or ATI graphics card? I keep getting error messages saying that my Intel Intergrated Graphics isn't supported. I don't plan on getting it on PC anyways, but I want to see if my computer is capable of running a game like BF3...it runs Portal 1 just fine. :)

AndyD

aka andydumi
iam220 said:
Why are the retail patch notes identical to the server side patch the beta got? Is that a mistake or am I missing something here?

Its possible that the game for consoles has been submitted for certification a while back. If it takes a few weeks to certify and ship to retail, then the final disc version should have been submitted already.

So a day one patch will incorporate changes that are just now being made and pushed.

belvedere

Junior Butler
ChiefEdiri said:
Am I able to play the beta without a Nvidia or ATI graphics card? I keep getting error messages saying that my Intel Intergrated Graphics isn't supported. I don't plan on getting it on PC anyways, but I want to see if my computer is capable of running a game like BF3...it runs Portal 1 just fine. :)

292r4id.gif

AndyD

aka andydumi
ChiefEdiri said:

Dont think so. The minimum requirements are for a DX10 card I think, so if your integrated graphics dont support that, then no way to play BF3.

Souljiro

belvedere said:
I wouldn't be entirely opposed to squad management in Battlelog I guess, as long as I can join specific squads and invite squadmates as I choose, though it would make a lot more sense integrated into the game client.

Same here I have no problem using battlelog we just need to have the option to be able to have it ingame. If someone in my squad disconnects and rejoin there's no way for them to find the squad again and you can't stop someone else from joining. Hopefully all the squad issues will be resolved when the game launches.

jvalioli

ChiefEdiri said:
I don't think that is going to run BF3. Portal is a 4 year old game on an even older than that engine.

RBK

Banned
AndyD said:
Dont think so. The minimum requirements are for a DX10 card I think, so if your integrated graphics dont support that, then no way to play BF3.

It's on DX11 and Dxdiag is telling me I have 1GB worth of graphic memory through the Intel Graphics card. I also have 6GB of memory as well. I'm not sure if I need or if they even have drivers for the beta, but it's simply not working.

iam220

ChiefEdiri said:

Yes. Keep trying, error message will eventually go away. ;)

ChiefEdiri said:

dSroK.gif

ChiefEdiri said:
It's on DX11 and Dxdiag is telling me I have 1GB worth of graphic memory through the Intel Graphics card. I also have 6GB of memory as well. I'm not sure if I need or if they even have drivers for the beta, but it's simply not working.

dx11 will always show up in dxdiag on windows7, because it is installed software side.

RBK

Banned
AndyD said:
What laptop do you have?
Some HP desktop my dad bought my family last year.

And everything pass for at the least minimum settings according to CanYouRunIt?.com

I have a i3 processor, 5.7 GB of RAM, 1.7 GB of video memory and I have more than enough hard drive space. I just don't have Pixel and Vertex shaders 5.0.

iam220

ChiefEdiri said:
I just don't have Pixel and Vertex shaders 5.0.

You'll have to give up, there's no way you can get this game running. Even if you were able to get some sort of hack It would run and look horrible.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Souljiro said:

Did you miss the part about the "private" flag on squads? There'd be no point in having that button unless they intended to allow you to form your own squad, whether in battlelog or in the game client itself.

* Non working options in squad menu fixed: "Private" flag and "Switch Teams".

Squad control will come, it is only a matter of time.

if it doesn't I'll be shitting up some future DICE threads I imagine.

Sean2 said:
Need some advice from the PC aficionados...

I have been playing bf3 on a resolution lower than 1920 by 1080, on my 2010 i3 iMac...

If I wanted to build a pc capable of playing it on the highest resolution, with no graphics issues, what hardware should I buy, + costs, etc.

I would google this, but the information seems a little dated...

There is some good advice in the computer hardware thread:) constantly updated.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Max said:
Specs and monitor? I'm saving up for whatever you have.

I need to play the game like this.

I second this...

please let us know

Vigilant Walrus said:
There is some good advice in the computer hardware thread:) constantly updated.

Thanks, I have been looking it over for a while... very overwhelming information wise!

AndyD

aka andydumi
ChiefEdiri said:
Some HP desktop my dad bought my family last year.

And everything pass for at the least minimum settings according to CanYouRunIt?.com

I have a i3 processor, 5.7 GB of RAM, 1.7 GB of video memory and I have more than enough hard drive space. I just don't have Pixel and Vertex shaders 5.0.

So is is a laptop or a desktop? Give us the model number and we can look up specs and tell you.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Just played a few rounds on pc.

Screen sometimes stays blue when I spawn, then pops color back once I die
Can't change key bindings easily, and can't seem to change zoom to space and jump to mouse2 at all

research time

ultron87 said:
The last section of Metro as attackers is a delightful shooting gallery.
"I've got a great idea! Let's give the ATTACKERS a bunch of buildings to hunker into as they defend armed MCOMs, and make the ATTACKERS run across open terrain to disarm them!"

Babalu.

itwasTuesday said:
Just played a few rounds on pc.

Screen sometimes stays blue when I spawn, then pops color back once I die
Can't change key bindings easily, and can't seem to change zoom to space and jump to mouse2 at all

research time

when ingame and everything is blue glitch happens, press escape to go into menu's and escape again to exit. fixes it right up.

iam220

Mr. Snrub said:
"I've got a great idea! Let's give the ATTACKERS a bunch of buildings to hunker into as they defend armed MCOMs, and make the ATTACKERS run across open terrain to disarm them!"

My team and I had great success defending the last objectives last night. What you have to do as a defender is cover and setup spawns at the points of exit for the attackers. Have a squad in the B objective covering the main exit and a squad on each side covering the side exits. Don't go inside the attackers building instead bait them to go outside once they do they're at a great disadvantage.

We were able to hold off the attackers that way without breaking a sweat, the only time that I saw the last objective successfully defended.

iam220 said:
My team and I had great success defending the last objectives last night. What you have to do as a defender is cover and setup spawns at the points of exit for the attackers. Have a squad in the B objective covering the main exit and a squad on each side covering the side exits. Don't go inside the attackers building instead bait them to go outside once they do they're at a great disadvantage.

We were able to hold off the attackers that way without breaking a sweat, the only time that I saw the last objective successfully defended.

Sounds like your team was stacked. If only all games played out so beautifully such as yours did, then everyone would win as attackers. If only...

iam220

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Sounds like your team was stacked. If only all games played out so beautifully such as yours did, then everyone would win as attackers. If only...

I don't think it was stacked steams, as they were able to get to the last objective with relative ease. What I described would be the idea positions but I doubt you can coordinate that on a public server. Instead I just ran over the the right exit of the attackers base and tried to take on the attackers there and before I knew it my entire squad was with me and we were easily able to hold them off. In no smart part due to the advantage we had by being outside the exit.

Once you let the attackers leave their building and occupy the 2 buildings facing the A mcom than it's game over.

Mit-

Success?

In short answer form, yes you can browse and join squads through the squad screen and make private squads. The full form will be available later.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2826551518966795507/3/

Now I just need my static minimap, and some way of seeing the entire map layout, preferably on the deployment screen.

6 player squads on PC would be nice too :( I understand limiting it to four on consoles, but why on PC? There's so many more players in our 64 player rounds.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think the last stage of Metro is the way it is specifically to incentivize the defenders to stop the attackers before it gets to that point.

I've only been on teams that managed to hold stage 4 twice. Each time it involved dedicated squads covering each exit from the metro. They couldn't arm because we never let them get past that first street alive. There are perfect overlooks for Supports to mount their LMGs for each of the three exits. Just mow them down as they come out. Mount your bipods on the 3rd floor, put c4 on the 2nd floor. If any of them get out of the doorway killzones they'll be coming for you so you just blow the c4 when the time is right.

Simply put, the key is holding the 3rd floor of each building so you can always safely respawn *and* put a mass of fire on each metro exit and point B. Not so easy to organize in a pub match.

georgc

Is it me or are snipers too good in this game? I get one hit killed without a head shot. they are very good at all distances. I thinks it the mrk II or something with a acog is better then a m4 at medium range.

belvedere

Junior Butler
SapientWolf said:
Let's be honest here.

Yeah, I really don't get all the disdain. The same can be said about every zone really.

Lately whenever I get stuck in the last zone, the trusty old EOD bot get's B every time lol.

kendrid

Banned
JaggedSac said:
360 squad management(before finding a match) and party stuff is completely bonked in the beta. Anyone else having issues with this?

It does not work at all. A friend & I have joined multiple games as a squad and we are never together. We are often on opposite teams and when we are on the same team we are not in a squad together.

They have tweeted that they have/are fixing it.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Is there any information of a vehicle map coming out for the beta? So far it just seems like another war shooter... but vehicles might make it awesome.

Mit- said:

YES!!! Good to hear they've come to their senses and will add a perfectly functionnal feature that they had in their previous games. First time I'm glad about posting in a petition thread, 12k replies in a few days for an ingame squad management system.

It's good to know they made up their mind today after an intense meeting. Better late than never right?

Top Bottom