• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
AndyD said:
That thing is way overpowered. There's no way a robot that barely comes up to your knee should kill instantly like that. Run over and flame too.
But on the plus side, it makes engineers slightly better than useless in Metro.

OG Kush

Anyone explain to me its only 24 players on consoles even though the game runs on dedicated servers? That other game on ps3 had like 128 players or some shit? Are EA/Dice just being cheap as they're paying for the dedicated servers unlike on PC where the community makes their own servers?

rabhw

Does anyone else find it really annoying that the "accept revive" key is the same as the jump key?

So when you get revived, you're essentially prone, but to accept the revive you press space which makes you stand up and expose yourself if you were originally killed from cover...

They should really bind that to a different key so you can accept the revive and stay prone without having to instantly prone again after standing up, it's silly.

AndyD

aka andydumi
OG Kush said:
Anyone explain to me its only 24 players on consoles even though the game runs on dedicated servers? That other game on ps3 had like 128 players or some shit? Are EA/Dice just being cheap as they're paying for the dedicated servers unlike on PC where the community makes their own servers?

Its in the engine as well. The destruction and terrain deformation takes a significant toll. Other games with smaller maps and simpler graphics might have more players, but they are all different.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
AndyD said:
Its in the engine as well. The destruction and terrain deformation takes a significant toll. Other games with smaller maps and simpler graphics might have more players, but they are all different.
Vehicles too. Someone at DICE did a writeup on the reason for the player count.

desu

rabhw said:
Does anyone else find it really annoying that the "accept revive" key is the same as the jump key?

So when you get revived, you're essentially prone, but to accept the revive you press space which makes you stand up and expose yourself if you were originally killed from cover...

They should really bind that to a different key so you can accept the revive and stay prone without having to instantly prone again after standing up, it's silly.

This has annoyed me so much, not sure if its intenional or just the usual dice fuck up without thinking when implementing this.

Mit- said:
Success?

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2826551518966795507/3/

Now I just need my static minimap, and some way of seeing the entire map layout, preferably on the deployment screen.

6 player squads on PC would be nice too :( I understand limiting it to four on consoles, but why on PC? There's so many more players in our 64 player rounds.

Gooood to hear, but man, they needed days to communicate this ... DICE what the heck are you doing ...

Keasar

Eh, I am starting to tire of this beta. All I do now is drive my RC-deathmachine around and run over people. I am tired of playing on a cerealbox sized map. I just want my 64 player epic conquest battles and a T90 tank to drive around in. :(

FStop7

Banned
So Battlelog says the MAV is not available in the beta, yet why am I seeing it flying around? And more importantly, why am I seeing it flying around and dropping what appears to be a limitless amount of C4 on people?

Keasar said:
Eh, I am starting to tire of this beta. All I do now is drive my RC-deathmachine around and run over people. I am tired of playing on a cerealbox sized map. I just want my 64 player epic conquest battles and a T90 tank to drive around in. :(

3 weeks.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Support Class + UMP45 + Holo + Tactical Light + Suppressor = One Man Fucking army

Goddamn refilling your own supply + getting team/squad supplied (BONUS points)

Never Ending killing spree

mcrae

Sean2 said:
Sorry I should have specified resolution for one monitor...

The newer PC thread isn't getting a lot of attention, and I figured if people on here are playing BF3 with great spec computers they would have some specific advice...

uh, pretty sure its had 100 posts in the last day

gl0w

why the battle reports showing on battlelog does not show the correct name of the players on that match? i hope it will work properly on release :\

Rezbit

Haha great videos. Remind me again why we're not playing that map on the beta?? Reactivating it would get them some good press.

Max said:
Specs and monitor? I'm saving up for whatever you have.

I need to play the game like this.

I play on an Apple iMac 27" as my Monitor because I believe the Apple monitors are the best you can get and they look the most clear and vibrant in my personal opinion. It also means I have a Mac at the same time.

These are my specs:

i7-860 @ 4.0Ghz w/ Corsair H50 Cooler (HT Disabled)
TRIFIRE 1x 6990 + 1x 6950 Unlocked @ 880/1375
16 GB Corsair Dominator 8-8-8-24 PC1600 DDR3 RAM
G.Skill Falcon 2 120GB SSD

Not a cheap setup by any standard, but I set it up especially for BF3, as soon as the new Intel processors come out I'll be buying an i7-3980K and an X79 Motherboard with a Corsair H100 Cooler to go with it.

aperman

Neo Member
ColonialRaptor said:
I play on an Apple iMac 27" as my Monitor because I believe the Apple monitors are the best you can get and they look the most clear and vibrant in my personal opinion. It also means I have a Mac at the same time.

These are my specs:

i7-860 @ 4.0Ghz w/ Corsair H50 Cooler (HT Disabled)
TRIFIRE 1x 6990 + 1x 6950 Unlocked @ 880/1375
16 GB Corsair Dominator 8-8-8-24 PC1600 DDR3 RAM
G.Skill Falcon 2 120GB SSD

Not a cheap setup by any standard, but I set it up especially for BF3, as soon as the new Intel processors come out I'll be buying an i7-3980K and an X79 Motherboard with a Corsair H100 Cooler to go with it.

Just for clarification, you playing on the 27" Cinema Display or you literally rigged an iMac to be your display?

I play on the 27" Cinema (though at 1080p) and get around 60fps with everything Ultra, no AA and VSYNC. I'm on a Mac Pro, though...

Ryuuga

Banned
Does the beta have autobalance? Because I was just playing a game with a few gaffers where it started out even (attackers were rolling defenders) then for whatever reason more people kept joining the defenders side as attackers started leaving and there was no auto-delegation. Lead to a rather cheap victory for defenders considering the lack of teamwork from those that were left.

aperman said:
Just for clarification, you playing on the 27" Cinema Display or you literally rigged an iMac to be your display?

I play on the 27" Cinema (though at 1080p) and get around 60fps with everything Ultra, no AA and VSYNC. I'm on a Mac Pro, though...

I literally rigged an iMac to be my display lol... it's crazy yes I know, but I wanted to have a Mac as well as a PC so I can switch on the fly between the two by hitting a couple of buttons on the Mac Keyboard and boom it's a Mac, hit the keys again and BOOM it's a PC, it's ace.

It means that I can be in a game and not have to ALT+TAB out if I want to post on forums and things, it's just a matter of switching the display input, very good - and I prefer to use the Mac for browsing (among other things, like viewing PDF documents and some images etc) but overall, I tend to use the PC primarily.

I run at full 2560 and get pretty much no less than 60fps with everything Ultra, 4xAA, HBAO, no VSYNC (it actually CAUSES tearing for me), so essentially I've got EVERYTHING EVERYTHING maxed.

I simple CANNOT wait for the new CPU's to come out, six core twelve thread minimum 5Ghz overclock MADNESS, it's going to be SUHWHEET! I'm hoping the CPU will give a big performance benefit to my two graphics cards, also the 2x PCIe 16 lanes will be of benefit as well, at the time I might even consider putting in a second 6990 if I can afford it...

Veal

Man this game is so shit when you can't communicate! I'm not a good fps player at all. How accepting are the GAF platoons to scrubby players with a heart of gold?

rdrr gnr

Veal said:
Man this game is so shit when you can't communicate! I'm not a good fps player at all. How accepting are the GAF platoons to scrubby players with a heart of gold?
3 k/d minimum. Sorry.

Woo-Fu

Banned
OG Kush said:
Anyone explain to me its only 24 players on consoles even though the game runs on dedicated servers?

It comes down to one thing: RAM. Consoles don't have enough.

In other news I started using smoke grenades this evening and let me tell you, they make a huge difference if you're attacking. I used the smoke grenades 2 rounds, got the MCOM destruction ribbon 2 rounds. I did die a lot, though. You're pretty much dead meat if you get caught reloading the smoke launcher by anybody with a gun.

The hard part is getting the rest of your team to pull their collective thumb out and use the smoke to assault to the next set of cover.

demolitio

ColonialRaptor said:
Do people know if you can setup this game to fly and drive vehicles with an xbox 360 controller on PC? Could you do that on BC2?
Yes, I mentioned it a few times when Caspian was up. Since joysticks weren't working, I emulated my DS3 as a 360 controller and BF3 picked it up fine with most of the controls already laid out and only a few needed tweaking. Depending on your controller, you might still want to remove the foot and ground vehicle controls for them if you're only using the controller for flying, but mine is fine and doesn't interfere with using the keyboard for anything else.

BC2 was hard to set up and joysticks were mostly broken there too. I ended up using an external program to make my controller work like a 360 controller again since the ingame options didn't like any of it.

demolitio said:
Yes, I mentioned it a few times when Caspian was up. Since joysticks weren't working, I emulated my DS3 as a 360 controller and BF3 picked it up fine with most of the controls already laid out and only a few needed tweaking. Depending on your controller, you might still want to remove the foot and ground vehicle controls for them if you're only using the controller for flying, but mine is fine and doesn't interfere with using the keyboard for anything else.

BC2 was hard to set up and joysticks were mostly broken there too. I ended up using an external program to make my controller work like a 360 controller again since the ingame options didn't like any of it.
Pity caspian isn't still up to check it out.

I've got a Hotas X and it's perfect for jets, but Choppers are another matter, probably can't have both though...

The hotas is a bulky bastard and I bought it primarily for BF3 but all the buttons wouldnt map properly, I hope that gets fixed by the full game or I'm going to have to be pissed off and suffice with the 360 controller... But I was so looking forward to dog fighting properly.

demolitio

ColonialRaptor said:
Pity caspian isn't still up to check it out.

I've got a Hotas X and it's perfect for jets, but Choppers are another matter, probably can't have both though...

The hotas is a bulky bastard and I bought it primarily for BF3 but all the buttons wouldnt map properly, I hope that gets fixed by the full game or I'm going to have to be pissed off and suffice with the 360 controller... But I was so looking forward to dog fighting properly.
I'm trying to get an answer on twitter so hopefully we find out ahead of time.

Ezduo

Banned
How the hell do you even use the flamethrower on the EOD bot? Spent all this time grinding to unlock it and it can't attack?

Ezduo

Banned
Moaradin said:
It doesn't do anything on mine.

Also, odds every game I join tonight is a defender team getting steamrolled? It's five in a row so far. When I first played this I didn't think it would be possible to see attackers winning and so far I've yet to play a match tonight where the attackers aren't gangraping the defenders. People are so bad at this game.

Edit: Oh yay, first game I'm not attacker we can't even get out of the first area. For the love of God...

G_Berry

Banned
Ezduo said:

Also, odds every game I join tonight is a defender team getting steamrolled? It's five in a row so far. When I first played this I didn't think it would be possible to see attackers winning and so far I've yet to play a match tonight where the attackers aren't gangraping the defenders. People are so bad at this game.

Edit: Oh yay, first game I'm not attacker we can't even get out of the first area. For the love of God...

1 of the 99 problems baby!

JoeMartin

Ezduo said:

It won't go off idly. You have to be in range of someone and just hold down left click and it will burn them. I have done some hilarious plant -> EOD defends before. When you get a kill with it, it doesn't display a weapon type, which is a shame, since I want to shame people with Joe [EOD BOT] Nab.

FStop7

Banned
Man, I just had the best match. We were on offense and started off so well. Took down the park and first subway objectives very smoothly. Then something went wrong. We couldn't even get close to the upstairs objectives. The other team got on a huge roll and was just cutting through us like crazy no matter how we came at them. The whole team got wiped and we ended up spawning back downstairs. We had 10 tickets left and neither objective was taken. Suddenly, without any kind of conversation, we just came together and pulled it off. We were down to 1 ticket when both MCOMs blew, almost simultaneously. The final area was a cakewalk, we got back all of our lost momentum. Everyone else went out the front doors of the subway while I went out the side and did an end-around to objective B. There was only one guy on it and I caught him off guard. While the rest of the defenders turned to see who was covering B, the rest of my team plowed through them and took A. Game over.

Ubersnug

I mentioned this on the other Battlefield 3 thread, but I thought I would post it here too:

Was listening to Epic Battle Cry this morning and during the panels 'battle cry of the week' segment one of the panellists (cant remember his name) said that 'apparently' the console versions of the Beta are deliberately running on lower quality textures to make the downloads as small as possible, with the full retail release sporting higher quality textures.

Don't know how true this is, but it certainly gives some food for thought - especially with this HD Hard drive install pack that comes with the 360 version of Battlefield 3....

EDIT: The rumour is mentioned @ 31:13

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/skirmish-134-epicbattlecry/721718

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ubersnug said:
'apparently' the console versions of the Beta are deliberately running on lower quality textures to make the downloads as small as possible, with the full retail release sporting higher quality textures.

That's by far the most ridiculous thing I've heard with regards to BF3. PC version lacking options is one thing ( it helps reign in the user base in some regard ) but the console versions are made and optimized for one build, one set of hardware basically.

Top Bottom