• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

jorma

is now taking requests
Ubersnug said:
said that 'apparently' the console versions of the Beta are deliberately running on lower quality textures to make the downloads as small as possible, with the full retail release sporting higher quality textures.

This sounds silly. How plausible is it that DICE would do this without mentioning it to anyone?

KaYotiX

Banned
jorma said:
This sounds silly. How plausible is it that DICE would do this without mentioning it to anyone?
Well it's only a 1.3 gig download. I'd assume the retail game is about 7 gigs. Who knows, all I know is that I have faith in Dice about BF3 :)

jorma

is now taking requests
KaYotiX said:
Well it's only a 1.3 gig download. I'd assume the retail game is about 7 gigs. Who knows, all I know is that I have faith in Dice about BF3 :)

yeah i have no doubts i will like this game for sure.

but i just don't see ea/dice deliberately downgrading the graphics in the beta without mentioning it to anyone.

seen this?
"HOW WILL SQUADS WORK IN THE RETAIL VERSION OF BATTLEFIELD 3 ON PC/XBOX 360/PLAYSTATION 3?

Since the Open BETA we’ve added more advanced functionality to manage your squad. You will be able to browse and join specific squads through the squad screen. You can see all players that are in a specific squad as well as who’s playing as lone wolf. As a squad leader you can set your squad to private as well as kick players from the squad.

On console you will also be able to choose if you want the active VoIP channel to be team or squad and invite friends to your squad. You will also be able to mute any player on your team through the scoreboard."

Anyone playing the beta on the PC using a game controller? If so, which one are you using? Is it any good?

I'm really leaning towards purchasing a PC-compatible gaming controller as opposed to using KB/M (controller might come in handy if I ever fly a jet)

Woo-Fu said:
It comes down to one thing: RAM. Consoles don't have enough.

In other news I started using smoke grenades this evening and let me tell you, they make a huge difference if you're attacking. I used the smoke grenades 2 rounds, got the MCOM destruction ribbon 2 rounds. I did die a lot, though. You're pretty much dead meat if you get caught reloading the smoke launcher by anybody with a gun.

The hard part is getting the rest of your team to pull their collective thumb out and use the smoke to assault to the next set of cover.

I love smokes too :D Top Tip here is to use the underslung rail so you can quickly switch between the smoke launcher and your assault rifle.

Attacking becomes a lot quicker and cooler when you can smoke those long corridors to prevent accurate sniper defenders and smoking the MCOM stations creates a nice amount of chaos and confusion ;D

Nelo Ice

Banned
lazybones18 said:
Anyone playing the beta on the PC using a game controller? If so, which one are you using? Is it any good?

I'm really leaning towards purchasing a PC-compatible gaming controller as opposed to using KB/M (controller might come in handy if I ever fly a jet)

get a wired 360 controller. its useful to have for a ton of pc games. planning on using mine to fly jets while i do everything else with m+kb.

Jarrod4321 said:
seen this?
"HOW WILL SQUADS WORK IN THE RETAIL VERSION OF BATTLEFIELD 3 ON PC/XBOX 360/PLAYSTATION 3?

Since the Open BETA we’ve added more advanced functionality to manage your squad. You will be able to browse and join specific squads through the squad screen. You can see all players that are in a specific squad as well as who’s playing as lone wolf. As a squad leader you can set your squad to private as well as kick players from the squad.

On console you will also be able to choose if you want the active VoIP channel to be team or squad and invite friends to your squad. You will also be able to mute any player on your team through the scoreboard."
Thank god!

wwm0nkey

Jarrod4321 said:
seen this?

Very happy to hear this!

Atruvius

Jarrod4321 said:
seen this?

Those voice chat options would be great if the voice chat actually worked. I don't how they could botch it. Voice Chat worked in BFBC2's beta fine and now it doesn't in MF3 beta. That's one thing that makes or breaks MP games for me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Woo-Fu said:
They wiped the beta forums due to "improvements". I'm kind of shocked nobody is up in arms about that.

Its understandable. Most people complain about stuff that they have clearly said has been fixed. So actual new bug reporting or whatnot gets buried in crap.

Deadly

How does the T-UGS work exactly? Or is it just bugged? I planted one and it didn't seem to do anything on minimap.. Also we can't seem to throw it which makes it abit less useful than the motion sensor in BFBC2 unless they made the radius bigger.

Menelaus

Banned
Anyone else annoyed that if you have a tactical light on your gun, it is on by default when you spawn? Combine this with the lack of reflectivity on many surfaces and the lack of any status indicator on the HUD, I find it's a frustrating tool to use.

Arnie

Menelaus said:
Anyone else annoyed that if you have a tactical light on your gun, it is on by default when you spawn? Combine this with the lack of reflectivity on many surfaces and the lack of any status indicator on the HUD, I find it's a frustrating tool to use.
I agree, same with laser sight on suppressed Glock. It's just plain irritating. Sometimes I can't tell if I'm running around with a massive "shoot me" sign stuck to my weapon.

Deadly said:
How does the T-UGS work exactly? Or is it just bugged? I planted one and it didn't seem to do anything on minimap.. Also we can't seem to throw it which makes it abit less useful than the motion sensor in BFBC2 unless they made the radius bigger.

Supposed to display enemies on minimap, but it's bugged.

Dabanton

Atruvius said:
Those voice chat options would be great if the voice chat actually worked. I don't how they could botch it. Voice Chat worked in BFBC2's beta fine and now it doesn't in MF3 beta. That's one thing that makes or breaks MP games for me.

Voice has always been shit on the console versions BC1,BC2,1943,Vietnam and now BF3 it either sounds way too low or doesn't work at all.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Arnie said:
I agree, same with laser sight on suppressed Glock. It's just plain irritating. Sometimes I can't tell if I'm running around with a massive "shoot me" sign stuck to my weapon.

I also agree to both of those. Sometimes I simply shoot at the lights knowing there's someone there or about to pop around the corner. I imagine the flashlight is more effective to toggle on/off like a strobelight. That would get annoying very fast on the receiving end, but probably also be far more effective on the handling it end.

jorma said:

The beta isself a janky bug riddled mess on consoles and they didn't mention that to anyone. Its entirely plausible the retail build could have higher rez textures.

Corky said:
That's by far the most ridiculous thing I've heard with regards to BF3. PC version lacking options is one thing ( it helps reign in the user base in some regard ) but the console versions are made and optimized for one build, one set of hardware basically.

Its known the that the 360 retail will come on 2 discs with disc one containing MP with HD installation content.
"Battlefield 3 for Xbox 360 ships on two discs with endless hours of spectacular high-definition gameplay," EA told us this afternoon.

"Disc one features the stunning multiplayer, co-op levels and HD installation content.

"Disc two features the superb single-player campaign."

The PS3 version of Battlefield 3 will come on one, larger capacity, Blu-ray disc.

Source

Stantron

lazybones18 said:

I don't usually play games on PC, so adjusting to using the keyboard is really hard to get used to for me. I can use the mouse for aiming and buttons fine, but using WASD for moving around is just a bitch. I'm no where near as agile as I am with a controller. I don't know if I should stick with it to learn and get better or just throw in a wired 360 controller and call it a day. I've been thinking about using a combination of the two; mouse in right hand, controller in left for analog stick, but I'm not sure this will cover all the buttons I will need, probably not.

Stantron said:
I don't usually play games on PC, so adjusting to using the keyboard is really hard to get used to for me. I can use the mouse for aiming and buttons fine, but using WASD for moving around is just a bitch. I'm no where near as agile as I am with a controller. I don't know if I should stick with it to learn and get better or just throw in a wired 360 controller and call it a day. I've been thinking about using a combination of the two; mouse in right hand, controller in left for analog stick, but I'm not sure this will cover all the buttons I will need, probably not.

Stick with your keyboard, you will get your ass handed to you badly with a controller as there is no controller assist.

Nabs

Stantron said:

Sticking with KB will be worth it in the long run. You should probably play with us while you get used to the setup.

Menelaus

Banned
Listen to your friend Nabs, he's a cool dude.

I honestly hadn't played a M/KB shooter since college (4+ years ago), and after 3 days of playing the beta, console shooters now feel like the inferior trash they are.

Is there any chance we will be able to get rid of all the in game points and ribbon displays in the final game? I dont need to see "10 points for squad spawning on you!" 30 times a game. I just want a minimalist hud that stays out of the way of the game.

Stantron said:

Some people may never play decent with a controller, but everybody eventually gets good with kbam.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Stantron said:

As above, stick to the keyboard. Play with GAF or play single player. Or use the beta and stay back and take it easy until you get more comfortable. You can also do exercises. Stay back and run around, jump over stuff, crouch/prone/up and so forth.

Also, re-map prone from Z to left Alt button. That way you can use your thumb for Space and left Alt.

Some people remap and put jump on the mouse and use the space bar to zoom in their gun. Its a lot of personal preference.

Just played the beta for the first time for a hour and everything is kinda dodgy... except the gameplay which was super fun. Just the chance of pace I need from R3/MW2/etc.

Will def. play some more

Menelaus

Banned
I really hope I was the straw that breaks the back!

tbrP1.png

FStop7

Banned
1. Spawn as recon defender in the first subway section
2. Plant mobile spawn point in the corner of the bathroom where MCOM is located
3. Team makes heroic last stand to protect this MCOM after losing the other
4. Attackers overwhelm defenders and set the MCOM to blow
5. I realize that the mobile spawn point is still intact
6. Spawn inside the room, kill the attackers, disarm the MCOM at the last moment, attackers out of respawns. Freedom Victory!

Stantron

Alright, thanks for the tips, guys. I'll stick with M/KB. Hope I can refine my skills through the end of the beta. The thing that gets me into a jam the most is trying to move while going crouch/prone at the same time. I'll try playing around with different configurations. I like the idea of left-alt as prone.

I've noticed that the beta doesn't allow you to map keys to the mouse wheel... probably because they don't want people using it for an easy way to spam single shot guns I assume.

On another note, I was disappointed to find out that I can move through a bush as if it's literally not even there, yet if I decide to throw out a grenade from inside the bush, it get's immediately stuck.

J-Rzez

Stantron said:
Alright, thanks for the tips, guys. I'll stick with M/KB. Hope I can refine my skills through the end of the beta. The thing that gets me into a jam the most is trying to move while going crouch/prone at the same time. I'll try playing around with different configurations. I like the idea of left-alt as prone.

I've noticed that the beta doesn't allow you to map keys to the mouse wheel... probably because they don't want people using it for an easy way to spam single shot guns I assume.

On another note, I was disappointed to find out that I can move through a bush as if it's literally not even there, yet if I decide to throw out a grenade from inside the bush, it get's immediately stuck.

Yeah, those bushes really suck. Transitioning from the controller to the mouse part is super simple as it's way-way easier to aim with a mouse (for me at least), but I can see how the movement part sucks, and this is where I'll say controllers are superior in that regard.

Keep practicing, who cares if you suck in beta, and actually who cares if you suck live as well, it's a game. If you're not happy with the keyboard, you can always try going with a 360 controller, or better yet, a Razer Onza 360 controller if they turned out great.

Makoto

The smoke grenades requirement is probably one of the most BS requirements in the unlock system. An unlock that replaces one of the most crucial items (the healthpack) in the game should probably be available from the start if not unlocked very early by simply playing Assault. It's not like pub teams utilized them like crazy in BC2 anyway.

Top Bottom