• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Menelaus said:
I really hope I was the straw that breaks the back!

http://i.imgur.com/tbrP1.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
That's been driving me crazy since the alpha footage started showing up. I'm glad that it's getting fixed.

Proxy

All you need to do to unlock smoke is to use the grenade launcher and/or dart. Doesn't matter is you're using it under slung or just by itself.

Eric WK

Menelaus said:
I really hope I was the straw that breaks the back!

tbrP1.png

Doing God's work.

Jarrod4321 said:
seen this?
"HOW WILL SQUADS WORK IN THE RETAIL VERSION OF BATTLEFIELD 3 ON PC/XBOX 360/PLAYSTATION 3?

Since the Open BETA we’ve added more advanced functionality to manage your squad. You will be able to browse and join specific squads through the squad screen. You can see all players that are in a specific squad as well as who’s playing as lone wolf. As a squad leader you can set your squad to private as well as kick players from the squad.

On console you will also be able to choose if you want the active VoIP channel to be team or squad and invite friends to your squad. You will also be able to mute any player on your team through the scoreboard."

Best news since the beta started! :)

RoboPlato said:
Wait, it said that in BC2 as well? How did I never notice it until BF3?

Never noticed it in BC2 as well, but I did notice it in both the BF3 Alpha and the Beta. If true, it's kinda amusing their QA (and everyone else as well) managed to let this typing error slip by in two games of the series in a row. Especially, because both games have been in development for multiple years, both went through some form of open or easily accessible public testing and the misspelled text is frequently displayed right in the middle of the screen.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Izayoi said:
Really? That seems a little weird, but I wouldn't put it past DICE.

You don't have to use the underslung rail. You can carry the grenade launcher with any other weapon if you're playing assault. Using something with an underslung rail just lets you switch weapons quicker---which can be important, I've learned, after getting killed oh so many times holding an empty smoke grenade launcher. You do have to get kills with it to level the launcher. You also unlock an AT round which is of course mostly useless on Metro.

In other news the beta is infested with aimbotters this evening. If you see somebody with an m60 walking down the middle of the map one-hitting everybody you want to find some hard cover asap.

soultron said:
So glad the console squad stuff is being sorted. Also glad to hear that mute-from-scoreboard will be in.

Wow, glad to hear that. I've had some people that were incredibly loud and I couldn't mute them.

Schmitty

Where can I find the controls for this game? I'm hopping around in servers just pushing buttons because when I launch in Origin, it just goes to battlelog and then into a match.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
soultron said:
So glad the console squad stuff is being sorted. Also glad to hear that mute-from-scoreboard will be in.
Thank god about mute from scoreboard. I heard a whole phone conversation of a guy being a dick to his mom while blasting terrible country music that drowned out the sound of the game from my TV.

Schmitty said:
Where can I find the controls for this game? I'm hopping around in servers just pushing buttons because when I launch in Origin, it just goes to battlelog and then into a match.

You have to be in a match, spawned, standing around alive to be able to change options. Then hope somebody doesn't kill you while you are in the middle of trying to change your options. On a map like Metro you wont be able to stay in the options menu very long before you get found and killed.

Also, if you take too long you might get disconnected from the server.

DGRE

Banned
The disconnects on 360 are really disheartening. You might have a really good game, get dc'ed and lose all the exp you just earned. This was an issue with bfbc2 on 360 as well. The "lost connection to EA Server" error was so frustrating and so common for a few months on 360 that I just gave up on BC2, even though it's one of my favorite multiplayer experiences hands down.

I need some kind of reassurance this won't keep happening. It's really frustrating.

Schmitty

I H8 Memes said:
You have to be in a match, spawned, standing around alive to be able to change options. Then hope somebody doesn't kill you while you are in the middle of trying to change your options. On a map like Metro you wont be able to stay in the options menu very long before you get found and killed.

Also, if you take too long you might get disconnected from the server.
That isn't annoying or anything

Satchel

Banned
Moaradin said:
I made it 1 minute in.

Acog?

Havign said that, I'm having the same feelings he's having about certain aspects.

I hope the retail version is WORLDS beter than this Beta, which is disgusting. This went from Day 1 to wait and see for me thanks to the Beta.

Woo-Fu said:
You don't have to use the underslung rail. You can carry the grenade launcher with any other weapon if you're playing assault. Using something with an underslung rail just lets you switch weapons quicker---which can be important, I've learned, after getting killed oh so many times holding an empty smoke grenade launcher. You do have to get kills with it to level the launcher. You also unlock an AT round which is of course mostly useless on Metro.

In other news the beta is infested with aimbotters this evening. If you see somebody with an m60 walking down the middle of the map one-hitting everybody you want to find some hard cover asap.

Noticed this too. Found an old friend on a CA server (even though he's in New York) and he said he's seen several tonight as well.

Punkbuster really should've been enabled for the beta. Another lame mark against this whole experience... DICE has really fucked up.

Woo-Fu

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
Noticed this too. Found an old friend on a CA server (even though he's in New York) and he said he's seen several tonight as well.

Punkbuster really should've been enabled for the beta. Another lame mark against this whole experience... DICE has really fucked up.

that was me, dis. and I'm not in new york anymore. :)

Izayoi

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:

It's a beta, dude. Chill out.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Izayoi said:
It's a beta, dude. Chill out.
Labels are more important than reality? Maybe companies should just sell "alphas" and not be responsible for anything, certainly lower their costs.

The reason to chill out would be because it is DICE, not because it is a beta. Their games are always a mess at release but usually end up ok after some major patching. Nothing I've seen/experienced leads me to think BF3 will be an exception.

Xux

Woo-Fu said:

Don't know if it was an aimbotter (probably was 'cause he was able to kill me) but I saw someone with an eleven star M60 last night. :lol

vidal said:
The smoke grenades requirement is probably one of the most BS requirements in the unlock system. An unlock that replaces one of the most crucial items (the healthpack) in the game should probably be available from the start if not unlocked very early by simply playing Assault. It's not like pub teams utilized them like crazy in BC2 anyway.

This is made simply to make it a hard choice. Preferably i would have made it so that the launcher replaces your sidearm.

But true, unlocking it is kind of silly, why would getting kills with a grenade launcher be in any relation to popping smokes.

Daigoro

FUCK YES! @ the update on squad control.

seriously. yes yes yes. very pleased about this news.

buying the shit out of this game!

New PC rig is completely built. Just have to test it and the software and whatnot. But now I have to wait for a new monitor to ship which should arrive hopefully on Friday.

Just a full weekend to try out the beta....better than nothing I suppose

Ubersnug

LEGGZZZZ said:
How do you unlock smoke grenades for the assault class?

First, unlock the underslung grenade launcher.

Then get 20 kills with it to unlock the smoke (10 kills unlocks the shotgun rounds).

Ellis Kim

Banned
I don't know why, but the BF3 beta does not want to work on my computer anymore :(

2u1Pj.jpg

I don't even know why its trying to use my integrated GPU instead of the Radeon.

The game was working just fine, and now suddenly it has all sorts of fucking problems :(

Ubersnug

Hmm, for all you PC players out there:

EA and Valve are currently in "late-stage talks" to secure a Steam release for the PC version of Battlefield 3, according to an alleged insider.

BF3blog's source claimed the two parties are close to reaching an agreement which would see the game arrive on Valve's Steam store in time for the game's 28th October launch.

As detailed back in August, EA decided not to sell the game through Steam because of Valve's "restrictive terms of service" regarding patching and DLC.

We've asked the relevant parties for comment and will update if we get a response.

from Eurogamer

Since it's not exactly official yet, I didn't bother creating a new post for it.

MJLord

Question, did caspian run better (when it was on) than metro ? My computer can handle the game but i don't want other levels to run like crap.

Moaradin

MJLord said:
Question, did caspian run better (when it was on) than metro ? My computer can handle the game but i don't want other levels to run like crap.

Caspian ran better on my PC than operation. Was getting a constant 40+ fps on mostly ultra settings with my GTX 460. Pretty weird because Caspian is graphically superior to metro in every way.

MJLord

That's good to hear, I'm getting around 30fps on medium so I didn't want to buy it then find out it runs like crap on every other level :(

Well, I haven't been playing the beta alot. The more I play it, the less I enjoy it. Two major reasons:

1) Operation Metro. I do not really enjoy rush very much, but I can play it. But Metro is seriously killing my buzz. This is not a major issue as far as BF3 is concerned, as everything I hear and see of Caspian Border looks great.

2) How fast shit dies, myself especially. This is a major issue. Anyone can kill anyone, no skill required. It feels like playing hc in BC2, and I fucking hate hc with a passion. It just turns the game into a competition of who sees who first. The problem in BC2 (normal) was how easy the guns were to handle, and at any range. But atleast you could take some hits. In BF3, I like the gunplay more, but I'd take shitty gunplay over this instagib bullshit. If somebody comes at you from any direction but the front, you are fucked unless they are certified trash, but even then you are most likely fucked. With prone, bushes and large maps, it is even easier for horrible players to hide all over the place and with the low hp I know it is going to be a fucking nightmare. I don't know if this is something I can get over.

Add in the fact that I am an irrational Steam fanboy, I am seriously considering passing on the game alltogether.

questionmark said:
2) How fast shit dies, myself especially. This is a major issue.

I would love to see weapons do less damage too, it's always been the Battlefield way. When you get shot at, you should have still a little time to react.

I never played HC in BFBC2 because being a medic is retarded when you can't see the help symbols and can't spot.

cdyhybrid

Oh my fucking goodness, please tell me there is a way to mute everyone on my team. I can mute people through their gamer cards by going to Squad and Team in the menu, but I can still hear these fucking 8 year old British Call of Duty idiots, since they apparently aren't in my squad (muted my entire squad).

Deadly

Noisepurge said:
I would love to see weapons do less damage too, it's always been the Battlefield way. When you get shot at, you should have still a little time to react.
It's not just the damage that is higher now but also due to the client side hit detection.

Top Bottom