• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Caspian actually seems less buggy, weirdly enough. I haven't had the game update on me yet.

One thing : Does everyone have that annoying dithering on the fences, it's really distracting.

Enkidu

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Damn the servers are lagging a lot, other than that, fucking awesome. Really fucking awesome. Has DICE comfirmed how many conquest maps there will be? Caspian alone I could play for weeks, will probably not touch RUSH again until next year, lol.
I think every map will be available for all modes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
<3 Caspian so much.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Caspian actually seems less buggy, weirdly enough. I haven't had the game update on me yet.

One thing : Does everyone have that annoying dithering on the fences, it's really distracting.
I think that's overlapping aliasing instead of dithering.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
evlcookie said:
Oh shit caspian is back? Nice. Hopefully there's some local AU servers i can check out

Yup Australian servers are up, however they only hold 48 players.....what the hell australia, even the african servers are doing 64.

Manager said:
With the two letters they have to describe server origin, how do they separate Austria from Australia? Only seen European servers, guess Austria is AU.

Errmm, Australia is the only AU abbreviation
Austria's abbreviation is AT

Izayoi

Banned
battlefield-3-20111006100333473-000.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ysiadmihi said:
Damn this map is so much fun. I'm hoping the other 64 player maps are just as good.
These two sound promising:

IGN said:
As a match faded in on a level called Operation Firestorm, I breathed a sigh of relief. The map is enormous. Built for 64 players on PC, this Conquest map screams Battlefield through and through. Tanks, jeeps, and buggies rumble across the desert while jets and helicopters tear through the skies. Burning oil fields decorate the horizon with black smoke, and the sheer scale of the experience feels like a return to the series' roots. Running (as well as driving or flying) from point to point to raise my team's flag felt great and I couldn't help but forget my growing concerns from what I'd experienced of Battlefield 3 in the past.

This feeling continued on a smaller map called Grand Bazaar that featured tanks rumbling through the town square, and tight nooks and crannies dotting the shuttered store fronts of the level's marketplace. Fighting through the objectives in this map showed off destruction, allowing you to blow holes in walls to make your own doors and get through buildings quickly. The balance of tight corridors and a wide open center area made for a great balance, and again a better representation of the series' aim than the narrow length of Operation Metro.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Manager said:
With the two letters they have to describe server origin, how do they separate Austria from Australia? Only seen European servers, guess Austria is AU.

From the land down under.

So i've been able to get into 2 servers, it's all good until i look up into the sky and the game crashes.

Woo caspian!

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Oh god its like fucking chaos EVERYWHERE!!! love it even with everyone typing out "LAG @!*@U(!@" every 2 seconds lol. it was prob like 400 ping for me :(

Binabik15

Only 50 points for vehicle destroyed? Lame. Even with the 100 disabled points.

Plus, it sucks when the server is lagging so hard that 3/4 missile locks disappear because the jet jumps tens of metres in and out of your ironsight. Got a double kill with vehicle destroyed, yay, first SAM kills.

Kyaw

Anyone playing properly on Caspian right now? (not camping for jets etc etc)

Can't get my PS3 pad working with jets.

mr_nothin

Banned
Kyaw said:

Me and Cuban just had an awesome match. Working as a unit and taking out objectives left and right. Providing cover, spotting, watching each other's back, reviving, calling out positions. I've missed playing games like this. BF is back! (even with a few things that bug me like killcam/full squad spawn...but they arent that bad in conquest)

Edit:
From those videos, I can tell that they've changed quite a lot from the beta.
Things like hit detection seemed improved considerably.

1-D_FTW

Ysiadmihi said:
Does the 360 pad not work at all in the beta? It didn't seem to work for vehicles.

Pretty sure I had this exact issue with BC2. I always assumed the game forced you to choose keyboard or controller. And if you started the game with the keyboard, you couldn't swap and use the 360 for any vehicles. If this is wrong and it's possible, I'd like to know the answer too. Although I will be attempting to hook up my flight stick, so maybe that's the answer I'm looking for. Maybe flight stick and m/k don't have these issues.

demolitio

Kyaw said:

Are you using motioninjoy to emulate it as a 360 controller? I did that and then redid all the keys in the menu and it works flawlessly for flying since joysticks don't work currently.

We just had a few good games with a lot of teamwork and fun. I'm still an AA best since I end up with like 5+ disabled aircraft, lol. This is the map and mode we've been waiting for and it makes me dread my time on Metro. It's just SOOOO much better and there's less camping since campers can only watch one spot so you can avoid them and capture other flags and still win and if they do camp, they're bound to only find a few people to kill so they're forced to move around to other bases if they want some kills at least. It basically forces more action through the mode itself which is why Rush sucks in comparison. There's no certain bottleneck that people have to run through so it's not easy kills for a camper.

My jet dogfighting skills are still owning the other jets in the air so it'll be interesting to see what happens when more people are experienced with them. I unlocked stealth for my jet but the server crashed and I lost it. :(

Caspian?

Guess I'm jumping back in! Loved playing it before.

1-D_FTW said:
Pretty sure I had this exact issue with BC2. I always assumed the game forced you to choose keyboard or controller. And if you started the game with the keyboard, you couldn't swap and use the 360 for any vehicles. If this is wrong and it's possible, I'd like to know the answer too. Although I will be attempting to hook up my flight stick, so maybe that's the answer I'm looking for. Maybe flight stick and m/k don't have these issues.

Last time I played Caspian (when it was passworded) I played with keyboard for infantry and then switched to my 360 pad which was always plugged in for vehicles. Worked fine.

I'll be trying it again now.

Heysoos

Ysiadmihi said:
Does the 360 pad not work at all in the beta? It didn't seem to work for vehicles.

It did for me when I played Caspian Border a bit back. Was great for flying. Unfortunately it doesn't let me invert the control only for tanks without also inverting EVERYTHING. Pain in the ass, really hope that changes for the full release.

Izayoi

Banned
360 pad worked great for me in beta. Make sure it's plugged in before joining a match. You can seamlessly go from KB/M for on-foot to pad for vehicles.

Kyaw said:
I was trying to emulate it as ps3 pad. Will try it now with 360 pad emulation.
the 360 controls default jet setup is ok but iether the pitch or the yaw needs to be switched from one joystick to the other, its a bit weird the way it is stock.

demolitio

Cuban Legend said:
the 360 controls default jet setup is ok but iether the pitch or the yaw needs to be switched from one joystick to the other, its a bit weird the way it is stock.
Yup. I did the exact same thing.

Rezbit

Played 3 games on CB, shame that it was so laggy but understandable as people from everywhere are hopping on any servers. Should tone down soon. This map is a LOT better than the other one. It's so damn fun and chaotic, and you can actually have a few minutes of life in which to run around and accomplish things. I enjoyed finally using the Stinger and taking down a jet who was on my teammates tail.

Seems to run decent on my 560ti with textures and environment on ultra, about the same as Metro outdoors (probably hovers around 40ish). Couldn't really tell with all the lag and teleporting all over the joint. Definitely renewed interest after not really being into it after Metro.

Binabik15

Izayoi said:
Then something is wrong. I'm getting better framerates than you with a single GTX 580 w/ everything at ultra and that should not be happening.

It´s not like it´s that way all the time. But those dips suck, especially with the super laggy servers, m70. That was a lot better than the first round, where the average was around 40. So far Caspian had a higher max but a much lower average than Metro.

The lag, oh god, everyone was warping at times, the whole chat was full with lag complaints.

I don´t quite get the SAM missiles. Is one hit not enough to disable a chopper? I got hits several times withiut response, but that might´ve been the lag. Does the lock-on stop working after a certain time or after rhe vehicle travelled a certain distance?

Izayoi said:

What is this? I have always been hoping and praying for proper catapult launches from Aircraft Carriers in a game, now I imagine that it will be in the single player at least, but imagine if each time you spawn in the planes on the aircraft carrier in the multiplayer they fire you off the catapult on wake island... that would be SOOOO sweet :D

Raining levels... night levels... damn, I just need this game so yesterday, the full game.

Facism said:
"hey pc gamers enjoy caspian!"

*severe lag and hitching, hardly playable crap.

Yeah, because all the servers are full everyone is just trying to log in so it's like a DDoS attack on the servers and it just screws everything up... almost totally unplayable, I tried for two hours, and I've given up for now, hopefully things will quieten down, or they will open more servers :)

KaiserBecks

Ysiadmihi said:

It worked fine last time the Caspian Border servers were open. I used the 360 controller to fly a helicopter.

Just make sure the controller is plugged in before you start the game. I think once the game is running, it won't check again if there's a controller plugged in.

Top Bottom