• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Herla

Hulud said:
If you're on PC you can just alt-tab out then close the window instead of using the ingame menus to leave.

Didn't think of that, would've saved me a bit of time :p it was pretty terrifying...

Hulud

belvedere said:
So in the Firestorm video it was said you could turn on/off the laser, I had no idea you could do that. Is that possible in the beta?

And it looks like there are quite a few permanent structures which is a bit disappointing, but I guess that’s for balance reasons?
Laser/flashlight toggle is the T button on pc. UP on d-pad on console I think

Seems like HUD elements has changed, now there's a skull simbol for death people on the minimap, also seems like minimap covers a bigger area....

Edit: Graphics on PS3 looks really good, even with the tearing, definetly a step up from BC2.

Been playing metro on low at 1280x720 and having a blast. running 70 fps or so. Hope Caspian runs really well too. If it doesn't than I'll know I need to build a dedicated gaming pc. Can anyone speak to performance of caspian vs metro?

Caspian is obviously a lot larger so I have to assume that it doesn't run as well

Calavera520 said:
Been playing metro on low at 1280x720 and having a blast. running 70 fps or so. Hope Caspian runs really well too. If it doesn't than I'll know I need to build a dedicated gaming pc. Can anyone speak to performance of caspian vs metro?

Caspian is obviously a lot larger so I have to assume that it doesn't run as well

Actually it runs more or less as good as Metro for me

belvedere

Junior Butler
OdysseusVA said:
You can turn that off as well.

I could've sworn I saw numerous people complaining about the inability to toggle both on/off.

I have yet to use that gimmicky ass flashlight in beta, maybe I'll give it a whirl now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
belvedere said:
I could've sworn I saw numerous people complaining about the inability to toggle both on/off.

I have yet to use that gimmicky ass flashlight in beta, maybe I'll give it a whirl now.
You've always been able to turn it off, it's just that randoms don't and you are stuck with it in your eyes.

Bruiserk

Can't wait to get home today to try out caspian. Holy damn. Probably have to play it @720 on low settings with my GTX 260 though.

Either the server just lags out or I get "kicked by an administrator". I wonder if it's a PB issue? I see PB is enabled now, but bf3.exe isn't able to be added to the punkbuster list.

Stallion Free said:
You've always been able to turn it off, it's just that randoms don't and you are stuck with it in your eyes.

It's especially annoying when teammates shine it directly in your face in close quarters in cover. Dice should have a tooltip come up indicating that you can easily turn the light off. Shine in enemy's face when you pop out of cover and open fire: GOOD
Shine in all teammates faces as you pop back in to cover to reload, as they try to aim: BAD

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Calavera520 said:
It's especially annoying when teammates shine it directly in your face in close quarters in cover. Dice should have a tooltip come up indicating that you can easily turn the light off. Shine in enemy's face when you pop out of cover and open fire: GOOD
Shine in all teammates faces as you pop back in to cover to reload, as they try to aim: BAD
Or they could just change it so that it doesn't blind friendlies. That might be a bit too much in the way of intelligent design though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Looks like Punkbuster is doing its job right as usual. Some guy was flying an APC into the air and force-spawning our entire team off of him. Some poor guys didn't know how to use parachutes.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lyphen said:
Looks like Punkbuster is doing its job right as usual. Some guy was flying an APC into the air and force-spawning our entire team off of him. Some poor guys didn't know how to use parachutes.
Are you sure that was a hack? It could have just been regular gameplay.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Stallion Free said:
Are you sure that was a hack? It could have just been regular gameplay.
If flying cars and instantly respawning the entire team is gameplay, this game is even more imaginative than I thought it'd be. Now all we need is Titans.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lyphen said:
If flying cars and instantly respawning the entire team is gameplay, this game is even more imaginative than I thought it'd be.
If you told me that I would would be able to enter the ground prior to the beta I would have laughed. Anything is possible in the beta realm.

Woo-Fu

Banned
belvedere said:
Pretty sure Punkbuster isn't even enabled in the beta.

According to the server browser you'd be wrong, at least on the server side. I see servers with and without punkbuster. Could be a bug, I suppose.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Woo-Fu said:
According to the server browser you'd be wrong, at least on the server side. I see servers with and without punkbuster. Could be a bug, I suppose.

Demize or another Dice team member mentioned that since PB wasn't in full effect, there wouldn't be much control over cheaters in beta. It doesn't look like it installs the client anyway. I'm sure the final version will.

ss_lemonade

Izayoi said:
360 pad worked great for me in beta. Make sure it's plugged in before joining a match. You can seamlessly go from KB/M for on-foot to pad for vehicles.
Wish I could do this but my 360 controller's wiggly left analog stick seems to have a mind of its own, slightly moving my view even when no one is touching the controller. Is this a common thing with 360 pads? Is there a way to adjust deadzone to compensate?

After looking at the ps3 footage on ign you can see that's definitely a console version because there are still some low res textures but I can say it looks better than metro.

AndyD

aka andydumi
belvedere said:
Demize or another Dice team member mentioned that since PB wasn't in full effect, there wouldn't be much control over cheaters in beta. It doesn't look like it installs the client anyway. I'm sure the final version will.

They did say they are watching for cheaters though to learn what they need to fix and watch for in the retail version. Makes sense too.

Sethos

Banned
belvedere said:

Yeah, because Punkbuster has almost reached this unfathomable star-status in how it just catches cheaters left and right ...

It won't catch shit.

Sethos

Banned
Stallion Free said:
It will catch people who don't manually update because auto-update fails! Those people are the real problem here.

Indeed. Punkbuster is like most anti-piracy measures; it hurts the legit users more.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Sethos said:
Yeah, because Punkbuster has almost reached this unfathomable star-status in how it just catches cheaters left and right ...

It won't catch shit.

It's been a pain in my ass since 1942.

Top Bottom