• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Shadybiz

Orgun said:
Played my first game on Caspian...splurge. THIS is fucking Battlefield, the choice of metro truly boggles my mind.

Love it, wub wub wub wub

Yes, I just played my first Caspian game. THIS is why I am getting it. I need to hookup my 360 controller, because I can't pilot for crap on a mouse + KB, but this is SO good.

Oh, I was curious about my CPU performance while playing, so I contol alt deleted to check it out. Don't know if this is an issue for anyone else, but when I went back into the game, it crashed. So...be careful with it I guess.

Stantron

Stantron said:
Ok, I've got a few questions/comments...
- How come I can't set a key binding for "crouch/prone[hold]"? I assume this is for press once for crouch, hold for prone, right?
- The key bindings for mouse will surely be available in the full game, right?
- Why does the game ask my to hold space bar to confirm being revived? All that does is make me stand up from prone to expose myself to more enemy fire. Also, it doesn't seem to ask me every time.
- On the score board, your orange bar, squad mates are green, what's the white bar, squad leader?
- The final score board should just show all players on the screen instead of putting a scroll bar there as if there's not enough room to fit them all.
- Final score board should show a class icon next to each name for which class that person used (if multiple, then the one used for the most time).
- When respawning, tt's annoying that it shows "deploy" yet it's not selectable for a couple seconds. Keep it hidden until it's immediately ready.
- I don't understand unlocks. Battlelog shows that I have the M16A4 for assault class yet in game it's not there. Pretty sure I searched for both team sides. Same for a recent unlock, the M320. (edit: i realize now that the M320 takes a gadget slot).
- I don't have a headset. Only 2.1 setup. But I can't hear footsteps at all, enemy or friendly. Not sure what's going on there.
Anybody?

Unammaned vehicles should not take damage. Idiots destroying jets before anyone gets to them, and that includes people from the same team.

Manager

Stantron said:

Obv they gotta fix mouse bindings. The space part of revival is so that you won't get revived, then shot again, revived, then shot again. It was abused in BC2, I think. Not sure why the picked space though, since as you say you have to stand up.

White bar have been the scoring leader at all times for me, but maybe that's just a coincidence?

The enemy footstep missing is a known bug on PS3, not sure about PC. You should be able to hear your own footsteps though. Tried checking the sounds settings so that you haven't enabled 5.1?

SHarris78

There should be some sort of 'training' area for us noobs. I had my first go of a jet and someby else jumped in. I obviously crashed because i dont know how they control.

I was called a 'hogging cunt' .

Nice.

Menelaus

Banned
The white bar on the scoreboard is the user you have currently "selected". You can click on other players' names, to no effect. Not sure why this is even in the game.

Manager

Metalmurphy said:
Unammaned vehicles should not take damage. Idiots destroying jets before anyone gets to them, and that includes people from the same team.

It's probably there so that you can blow up a tank, for example, while an enemy is running towards it. Obv you'd rather kill the enemy, but then he may have had 2 other guys running towards it as well.

Some people C4 vehicles etc when taking over a flag in conquest, just so that the spawning enemy can't man them and kill you.

Haven't been able to watch the vids and can't play till Sunday.

Curious if the vids/Caspian changed anyone's mind in regards to preorders.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Mendelevium said:
I love landing the jet back at the base and see everyone run up to you, like a fricken hero!!

hint: they're not carrying champagne, nor are they likely to service your jet.

Inside

New Single player screenshots

Battlefield_3_Octob_713519o.jpg

Battlefield_3_Octob_713516o.jpg

Battlefield_3_Octob_713515o.jpg

Battlefield_3_Octob_713512o.jpg

Battlefield_3_Octob_713517o.jpg

Manager said:
It's probably there so that you can blow up a tank, for example, while an enemy is running towards it. Obv you'd rather kill the enemy, but then he may have had 2 other guys running towards it as well.

Some people C4 vehicles etc when taking over a flag in conquest, just so that the spawning enemy can't man them and kill you.

At least make it so only the oposite team can damage. Some idiot spent the entire round destroying it's own team jets.

Sethos said:
Shit like that makes me cringe, when apparently the world's worst player is showing off games, always happens. Get someone with at least a modicum of skills, makes for a more enjoyable watch and maybe actually get people more pumped.

I couldn't watch that for more than 2 minutes, I just couldn't.

/rant

FYI

It's the games producer Patrick Bach and he's giving an interview explaining the various game mechanics while he's playing during a recent press event.

MNC

Caspian is great... I need to level up my engineer though. Basic rockets are sucky. Also I hate walking lol.

ii Stryker said:
FYI

It's the games producer Patrick Bach and he's giving an interview explaining the various game mechanics while he's playing during a recent press event.
He also seems much more like a PC player, hahaha. He seems to do fine during the Operation Firestorm video.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Sethos said:
Shit like that makes me cringe, when apparently the world's worst player is showing off games, always happens. Get someone with at least a modicum of skills, makes for a more enjoyable watch and maybe actually get people more pumped.

I couldn't watch that for more than 2 minutes, I just couldn't.

/rant

He has skills, he just isn't used to being handicapped by his input device.

DTKT

Man choppers are so useless now. What a shame.

Same with jets, they cant even really engage ground targets. You call that Battlefield?

OK I've seen the videos for Operation Firestorm and Grand Bazaar. Are there any other videos that were shown last night that I am missing?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DTKT said:
Man choppers are so useless now. What a shame.

Same with jets, they cant even really engage ground targets. You call that Battlefield?
Dumb bombs are out, but I think you can unlock guided ATG missiles for the air units in the retail version.

knee

Fellow GAFers.

I have about $150 set aside for a video card. I can go up to $200, but I'd rather not. Is there anything available in that range that will let me run this game like a boss (60 fps, high settings / 1920 x 1080)?

Sethos

Banned
ii Stryker said:
FYI

And my point still stands.

Paracelsus

knee said:
Fellow GAFers.

I have about $150 set aside for a video card. I can go up to $200, but I'd rather not. Is there anything available in that range that will let me run this game like a boss?

I'm on a 6870 and my two cents would be to settle for nothing less than a 6950, don't know about nvidia.

Spookie

SapientWolf said:
Dumb bombs are out, but I think you can unlock guided ATG missiles for the air units in the retail version.

Those the TV missiles? I can't remember the name of em. I use to love griefing tanks with them. :D

knee said:
Fellow GAFers.

I have about $150 set aside for a video card. I can go up to $200, but I'd rather not. Is there anything available in that range that will let me run this game like a boss?

I think with rebates, you could find the GTX 560i for around $200.

Orgun and I just had an amazing few matches.

The highlight? We both looked up and saw an enemy jet fly straight into a helicopter on our team and all of the debris just fell down around us. AMAZING.

Keasar

Soooo, DICE, why didnt you wanna test this map instead? Cause to me, Caspian Border needs ALOT more testing, and it would earlier give impressions how servers handle the 64 player booms, it feels overall that using Caspian would have given you so much more feedback.

Also, it is silly not to give jets early heat-seeking missiles early on, cause up until they manage to unlock that, they are worthless and people who dont unlock them are defenceless against people who have.

Secondly, give choppers flares. :/

Overall, air just sucks, they seem to be in their own world up in the skies.

Keasar said:
Soooo, DICE, why didnt you wanna test this map instead? Cause to me, Caspian Border needs ALOT more testing, and it would earlier give impressions how servers handle the 64 player booms, it feels overall that using Caspian would have given you so much more feedback.

Also, it is silly not to give jets early heat-seeking missiles early on, cause up until they manage to unlock that, they are worthless and people who dont unlock them are defenceless against people who have.

Flairs have to be unlocked afaik

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Keasar said:

They could be forcing noobs to co-pilot. Do the air vehicles have two seats?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
vidal said:
Nope! (Besides choppers)
Wow, good luck to the people that don't fly at launch. How are you supposed to get kills with the guns when the other jets have heat seekers and the ground units have stingers?

DSN2K

Game is incredible...you really have to wonder why DICE used Metro to show this game off...Caspian has it all and some more.

Top Bottom