• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Sethos

Banned
Nostalgia~4ever said:
i dont think it is the lag, I had 22 in ping, it is just that the servers are not good enough to handle the action.

It's not that. Metro servers suffered the exact same shit. It's basically all the stats reporting and everything that is between the player and the server that causes this. Something at DICE's end.

Hellcrow

Winning a long and close game, racking up points and unlocking a lot of shit. Battlelog doesn't update when game is over.

Fucking hate that, but game was fun! Lagged like hell though, so I could manage snipers easily with UMP spray.

Also going into BF2 mindset of defending as a good way to get the upper egde in small skirmishes.

Forsete

Nostalgia~4ever said:
i dont think it is the lag, I had 22 in ping, it is just that the servers are not good enough to handle the action.

Where do you see the ping? I TAB:ed but couldn't find it. :p

Your probably right though, its an server hardware issue. I remember the same being true with BF1942 right after release.

Metalmurphy said:
You need to join a server from a different provider.

I tried three different, one was absolutely awful, three steps forward two steps back. I even had an out of body experience, I would sidestep and the weapon would disappear from the screen and I could see myself sitting beside me without a head. I think that server was French. The German servers were slightly better, but also lagged enough to be noticed.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Caspian Laggers. This sucks. On non-laggy servers, I can only play a little bit before the server randomly boots me.

Are you playing on PB enabled servers? If so try filtering PB off, servers have no lag and don't kick (as frequently).

On another note, I really don't like the class setup. It's too condensed, and the ability distribution doesn't entirely make sense.

Like why does the recon have the spawning beacons? They're a long-range class, more often than not mobile spawns are dropped at someone's preferred sniping position rather than somewhere useful. Assault class is the one on the front lines, he should get the mobile spawns instead of medic equipment (they should have kept a separate medic class).

And why does Support have C4? Again, they're hanging back with machine guns providing suppressive fire, ammo, plus they get mortars. They're the last class that should be running up to tanks.

They should have kept BF2's Spec-Ops class for running in and C4ing, and give him the ability to arm/disarm MCOMS and capture control points faster than the other classes.

Forsete said:
Where do you see the ping? I TAB:ed but couldn't find it. :p

Your probably right though, its an server hardware issue. I remember the same being true with BF1942 right after release.

I tried three different, one was absolutely awful, three steps forward two steps back. I even had an out of body experience, I would sidestep and the weapon would disappear from the screen and I could see myself sitting beside me without a head. I think that server was French. The German servers were slightly better, but also lagged enough to be noticed.

If you're in Europe go for the Multiplay.co.uk servers, you can just put "Multiplay" in the server filter.

DTKT

Man, I'm starting to get worried now. I think DICE totally lost track of what they wanted to do. Planes are useless, there is an army of engineers with 1 shot kill HS missiles. Choppers are deathtrap, they get shredded by 20mm cannon, tank shells, .50cal fire and HS. You need to unlock flares and air to air missiles. But how are you supposed to unlock them if you cant even engage other aircraft properly?

And that's not to mention AA vehicles.

There is absolutely no balance between air and ground. It's a god damn clusterfuck and I doubt that DICE will change one thing.

Wazzim

Banned
Played Caspain for the first time. This really is the follow up of BF2.
I almost crapped my pants, it's so beautiful.

some more pics. I climbed the radio tower and it is breathtaking

pmUad.jpg

uYEE9.jpg

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DTKT said:
Man, I'm starting to get worried now. I think DICE totally lost track of what they wanted to do. Planes are useless, there is an army of engineers with 1 shot kill HS missiles. Choppers are deathtrap, they get shredded by 20mm cannon, tank shells, .50cal fire and HS. You need to unlock flares and air to air missiles. But how are you supposed to unlock them if you cant even engage other aircraft properly?

And that's not to mention AA vehicles.

There is absolutely no balance between air and ground. It's a god damn clusterfuck and I doubt that DICE will change one thing.
Jets can earn flares, ATG missiles, and lots of other goodies. It's trial by fire, I guess.

Makoto

The question I have for DICE though is why we have to unlock things for vehicles that we've had from the start in BF2? Like the secondary machine gun on the tank or flares on the jet.

"Truly mind-boggling."

DSN2K

Enosh said:
played caspian
well, at least I remember now why I hate big maps in BF since BF2
running around 5 min trying to find someone and getting sniped by a guy prone in the bushes isn't my idea of fun
and don't say squad spawn when everyone in your squad is also doing the "lets wait for someone to run by" by the first flag or waiting at base for the jet -.-
back to metro it is

you need to be more aware of your surroundings, what is to be fair to you currently difficult due to the shite mini map.

FStop7

Banned
Enosh said:
played caspian
well, at least I remember now why I hate big maps in BF since BF2
running around 5 min trying to find someone and getting sniped by a guy prone in the bushes isn't my idea of fun
and don't say squad spawn when everyone in your squad is also doing the "lets wait for someone to run by" by the first flag or waiting at base for the jet -.-
back to metro it is

yea broski how will you ever prestige if you can't get your k/d up

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ok so Caspian is fucking beautiful as long as I don't move.

Seriously though its good to actually see a proper Battlefield map. I hope I can get a game without rubber banding lag though.

Kyaw

FUCK YEAH! Unlocked flares on Jets!

Now i am death with wings. :)
Downed lots of jets and the server crashed at the end of the match. :<

Kyaw said:
FUCK YEAH! Unlocked flares on Jets!

Now i am death with wings. :)
Downed lots of jets and the server crashed at the end of the match. :<

I was on the ground jealously looking at you taking down bitches. :p

bf32011-10-0723-49-56-ue7o.jpg

bf32011-10-0723-49-46-bemv.jpg

Atomski

Menelaus said:
It's actually growing on me.

Yep, hated it at first but now its growing on me. Seems to work fine, they just need to expand it a bit to allow you to change graphic settings and stuff before loading up a game.

Kyaw

haha! I'm quite happy you took screenshots of my domination. :p

I did crash into other jets and killed myself quite a few times though. ><

keyrat

I'm finding it hilarious that most every preview is saying the SP gameplay is just alright, and that the beef of BF is in multi, when the only reason the damn SP exists was to appease reviewers who in the past docked points for it not having SP; that it was incomplete without it.

FStop7

Banned
I played 3 quick matches on Caspian before work. Love it. Recon feels like recon. I acted as impromptu overwatch for a squad of teammates who were fighting in some distant buildings. I would spot incoming enemies and they would take them down. I'd occasionally snipe a few of them, too. I got something like 10 spot bonuses in that one match.

Then I played engineer and shot down a couple of jets. That was way too easy. Something definitely needs to be done to make shooting down aircraft more difficult.

Kyaw

FStop7 said:
Then I played engineer and shot down a couple of jets. That was way too easy. Something definitely needs to be done to make shooting down aircraft more difficult.

Stingers need to unlocked MUCH MUCH later than Jets unlock flares. Seriously.

There are five flags. You only need to capture three... hold them down. Win. Frustrating when your team decides to play musical chairs and ultimately loses the match -- Unless the opposing team is hilariously bad and/or your team is ridiculously good. Three is all you need babeh.

Nesotenso

How the fuck do you fly Hornets ? Someone help please. Also do missiles have to locked for the second unlocked shoulder mounted rpg ? I forgot what it's called.

Nesotenso said:
How the fuck do you fly Hornets ? Someone help please. Also do missiles have to locked for the second unlocked shoulder mounted rpg ? I forgot what it's called.

WASD + arrow keys.

And yes they need to lock, just keep your aim on it for a few seconds and the square stops blinking.

I'm fucking done with playing with pubs. Everyone in this game is utterly useless. I'll be defending MCOMS while my squad is busy doing god-knows-what...certainly not helping the team in any way, shape, or form. On Metro, the attacking team managed to arm and destroy the MCOMS with ONE ticket left, then got the second pair with only seven tickets. So fucking frustrating.

And I don't know if squads are borked or if I was just on Idiot Squad, but I was NEVER given the option of spawning on squad mates during the last match I played. The only available option was the Defender Spawn. So either all three of my squad members were dead EVERY TIME I needed to spawn, or something was messed up.

I'm sick of randoms. If anyone wants to team up on 360 just shoot me a PM. I only have a few days left with the beta and I want to end it on a semi-high note.

Nesotenso

Metalmurphy said:
WASD + arrow keys.

And yes they need to lock, just keep your aim on it for a few seconds and the square stops blinking.

Thanks man. Hopefully I'll stop crashing jets now. And yes, Caspian is awesome. Is the player count limited to 32 on consoles ? and are there only five flags in conquest for Caspian on consoles ?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
GAF when does the Beta end? I thought I remembered something about the 10th but just wanted to confirm.

Menelaus

Banned
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Don't even know why I'm doing this since I know you have me blocked, but... why such a douchey prick? ...I'm going to make it point to avoid playing with you. I can't stand players like you.
I don't have you blocked.

Top Bottom