• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Makoto

SapientWolf said:
Wow, good luck to the people that don't fly at launch. How are you supposed to get kills with the guns when the other jets have heat seekers and the ground units have stingers?
Exactly. It's very easy to take down air vehicles with the stinger, so unless the singleplayer jet missions unveil some way to dodge Stinger missiles, this system is totally screwed.

Violater said:
I like how bullets kill u with one hit and raise u 20 feet off the ground
another buggy broken game by dice

Yes, this beta was intended to represent final quality of the full retail release. So DICE made the deliberate decision to exhibit a wonderfully broken buggy game so that they would dissuade you from purchasing it.

MNC

SapientWolf said:
Wow, good luck to the people that don't fly at launch. How are you supposed to get kills with the guns when the other jets have heat seekers and the ground units have stingers?
Have you played Caspian Border?

Got a mail from EA asking me to play specifically on the night between saturday and sunday.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Hadn't realized the beta was open now, but it keeps telling me Your Account Is Not Allowed To Login whenever I try to enter the Battlelog site. Anyone know why that's happening?

DTKT

vidal said:
Exactly. It's very easy to take down air vehicles with the stinger, so unless the singleplayer jet missions unveil some way to dodge Stinger missiles, this system is totally screwed.

Yeah, jets that engage ground targets with the 20mm dont last very long are not effective. Choppers that engage ground targets are killed by 50cal fire, tank shells or Stingers.

I can't believe DICE didn't balance anything. It's like they wanted to make air vehicles irrelevant.

Why is Caspian so laggy? Is it because 32 player Metro servers are trying to handle 64 player Caspian?

The "I'm a Viking!" guys video was silky smooth, but he also made reference to the open beta starting the day after he made the video. So we know the game does run well online it just isnt doing it right now.

Kyaw

I'm inclined to believe that the jets are useless against the ground targets at the moment.

The machine gun is also useless, i will spend like 1 minute trying to shoot the other jet down and some stinger mutherfucker will down me in 2 shots.

Nekrono

Posted a while ago on battlelog:
Top 10 Battlefield 3 Open Beta issues and how we are addressing them
By: crash7801 Posted: 1 hour ago 151 Comments

We’re more than half way through the open beta and thrilled to see so many people still enjoying the game while continuing to give us great feedback. As part of our dedication to showing you how your feedback is directly affecting and improving Battlefield 3, here are the latest Top-Ten Community Issues that we’re addressing.

1. Squad issues: Cannot play with friends within same squad, squads get split up onto opposite teams, etc.

There will be improved squad functionality in the retail game (including but not limited to): the ability to create squads prior to launching into a game, sticking with your squad when joining a game and continuing together through future games (If team balance on the server allows it), inviting friends to a squad and changing squads once in game.

2. Regarding additional Open Beta content and fixes/patches for consoles, including PlayStation 3 issues with chat and party systems.

While we would like to patch the Open Beta, DICE is currently focusing its available resources on polishing the retail game.

3. Will DICE have enough time to iron out everything by release?

Please see General Manager Karl Magnus Troedsson's blog post regarding this question.

4. Can we have ability to change settings/options before deployment into match on PC?

The ability to modify your settings via the deploy screen has been added into the retail game.

5. Issues with terrain stability and “falling into the map” on Operation Métro

This has been fixed for the beta via a server side update.

6. Kill cam sometimes zooms out too far or outside the map

This has been fixed for the launch of the retail game.

7. A bug that sometimes keeps some players from being able to sprint

8. Screen flickering/stuttering. Blue screen remains after respawn. Game locks up after deploying C4 (360)

9. Downed bodies appear to be dead, but are not

The DICE team has been looking into this issue – which is caused by a combination of incidents in a confined area - and are working hard to address the issue for the launch of the retail game.

10. Why is the hit detection seemingly different from Battlefield: Bad Company 2?

The netcode is one of the many things that we are testing as part of the Open Beta and is not necessarily reflective of the final retail game. The DICE team appreciates and has heard the feedback you’ve provided and is further optimizing online play.

Don’t forget to keep submitting your ideas and issues to the Battlelog forums. Thanks to your help and participation we’re on track to make Battlefield 3 our greatest game to date!

Personally really happy/excited about points 1, 4 and 8.

Shadybiz

MrCompletely said:
I think with rebates, you could find the GTX 560i for around $200.

Yeah, if you can get a 560i for that price, definitely. If not, I will say that my gtx 460 is handling it pretty well, and you can most certainly get one of those for sub $200.

5 really worries me, he said they have fixed it but this is not the case, they just disabled terrain deformation and called it a day, i really hope this is not the "fix" implemented in the retail version ;(

Sethos

Banned
I don't get #10 up there, "Why is the hit detection seemingly different from Battlefield: Bad Company 2? " it IS exactly the same as BC2, it's horrid.

MNC

SapientWolf said:
Yep, back during the password fiasco. Jets didn't really play a big part in the ground game, to be honest.
Ground teams have more than enough to do on ground. Just played a match and more than enough tanks and foot troops going around.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
MNC said:
Ground teams have more than enough to do on ground. Just played a match and more than enough tanks and foot troops going around.
What I mean is that the jets are unable to provide significant air support to ground troops because they lack the proper armaments. Jets in BF2 were a hard counter to ground vehicles like tanks and a soft counter to choppers. The only counter to a jet was the sea whiz or another jet.

sp3000

Sethos said:
I don't get #10 up there, "Why is the hit detection seemingly different from Battlefield: Bad Company 2? " it IS exactly the same as BC2, it's horrid.

No it's not. It's client side. Look at the video a few pages back and see what the issue is. BC2 hit detection is much better. What this causes is you to be behind cover and suddenly get killed because of a shot that was fired 5 seconds ago.

It's hilarious how broken the jet unlocks are. The fact that you have to unlock flares and missiles is beyond stupid. Pretty much means that the guys who sit in the jets all day are going to be the only who will be able to stand a chance in the air.

AndyD

aka andydumi
zephervack said:
5 really worries me, he said they have fixed it but this is not the case, they just disabled terrain deformation and called it a day, i really hope this is not the "fix" implemented in the retail version ;(

They said that it was fixed for retail but to make it easier on them they simply disabled deformation in beta, since it was too complex to deploy the patch to beta.

Its the same that they have done with 1-2 other things, said its fixed, but too complex to implement to beta.

GodofWine

Nekrono said:
Posted a while ago on battlelog:

Personally really happy/excited about points 1, 4 and 8.

Yea, but this comment "(If team balance on the server allows it)," regarding staying in squads for the next game sucks. BC2, COD etc, never break a party up, ever...You are selling million of this game, your have enough people to populate unbalanced games on the fly, NEVER break a squad.

Killzone 2 had this flaw, and it was infuriating.

I hope its like a 1 in a 100 issue.

DarthWoo said:
Hadn't realized the beta was open now, but it keeps telling me Your Account Is Not Allowed To Login whenever I try to enter the Battlelog site. Anyone know why that's happening?

That happened to me for days, you have to click in origin on the beta and copy the "cd key" or whatever and than add that to your account, really odd process for an open beta.

Enkidu

I H8 Memes said:
Why is Caspian so laggy? Is it because 32 player Metro servers are trying to handle 64 player Caspian?

The "I'm a Viking!" guys video was silky smooth, but he also made reference to the open beta starting the day after he made the video. So we know the game does run well online it just isnt doing it right now.
It was the same when they were locked, some servers just couldn't handle it. Keep trying different servers and you'll find a lag free one eventually.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Seriously it's time for DICE to go back to not having single player in their battlefield games...

The MP would be soooooooooooooo much better if they just stopped forcing single-player onto the buyers of BF series.

95% of people are purchasing BF for MP...and not to sound arrogant but if we are stumping up $$$ for the product they are making to us they need to listen up and cut the crap...we are not interested in single-player...don't try and sell us on it...don't go to the media giving them single-player content to feed to us.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Calibur said:
Wait are DICE gonna pull a BC2 with BF3, can you play any mode on any map?

Yes...they said in the earlier video's all the maps will be used for various modes and they will be scaled to size to fit the player count.

F#A#Oo said:
Seriously it's time for DICE to go back to not having single player in their battlefield games...

The MP would be soooooooooooooo much better if they just stopped forcing single-player onto the buyers of BF series.

95% of people are purchasing BF for MP...and not to sound arrogant but if we are stumping up $$$ for the product they are making to us they need to listen up and cut the crap...we are not interested in single-player...don't try and sell us on it...don't go to the media giving them single-player content to feed to us.
Agreed, no co-op and no single player would have made this game 100x better

vaelic

Banned
F#A#Oo said:

two entirely different teams working on SP and MP. they have plenty of MP resources

Ezduo

Banned
Ah weak, Caspian is another rush map? Oh well. Now just need to find a server that isn't lagging to hell and back.

F#A#Oo said:

This, at least for me. I have similar feelings towards COD, but that single player actually has a following.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
F#A#Oo said:

Like EA is gonna let CoD have a huge bullet point against them.

Gaogaogao said:
they are not talking about the hit boxes, they are talking about hit detection, which is now done on the client side instead of server side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGaP5wTYLtQ
That's terrible. Why would they have client side hit detection when the game uses dedicated servers? Can't say I noticed that the hit detection was THAT bad in BC2. A bit off at times, but this is definitely not a better option.

SapientWolf said:
What I mean is that the jets are unable to provide significant air support to ground troops because they lack the proper armaments. Jets in BF2 were a hard counter to ground vehicles like tanks and a soft counter to choppers. The only counter to a jet was the sea whiz or another jet.

it will probably be patched if people are unhappy.

Top Bottom