• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Makoto

sykoex said:
Sometimes when trying to spot someone I hear a "ding" sound or something, what is that?
It means you've pressed the key too much and the game will continue to interpret it as invalid spam as long as that noise is present.

butts

Caspian is awesome but I am getting crashes, unlike with Metro. All of my temps are fine. Its like the game just disappears and I am back to Battlelog with the BF3 process running but no way to get back to it.

mr_nothin

Banned
butts said:
Caspian is awesome but I am getting crashes, unlike with Metro. All of my temps are fine. Its like the game just disappears and I am back to Battlelog with the BF3 process running but no way to get back to it.
That's just the server crashing. Its happening to everybody

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I got to unlock the C4 with the support class and I can only use it on the support class. That makes me a little sad.

I wanted to essentially be the same recon has in BC2. Assault shotgun c4 recon, Looks like that ain't happening.

Xux

evlcookie said:
I got to unlock the C4 with the support class and I can only use it on the support class. That makes me a little sad.

I wanted to essentially be the same recon has in BC2. Assault shotgun c4 recon, Looks like that ain't happening.

Why not? Support has ammo and C4 and can use shotguns.

Confidence Man said:
Are you playing on PB enabled servers? If so try filtering PB off, servers have no lag and don't kick (as frequently).

On another note, I really don't like the class setup. It's too condensed, and the ability distribution doesn't entirely make sense.

Like why does the recon have the spawning beacons? They're a long-range class, more often than not mobile spawns are dropped at someone's preferred sniping position rather than somewhere useful. Assault class is the one on the front lines, he should get the mobile spawns instead of medic equipment (they should have kept a separate medic class).

And why does Support have C4? Again, they're hanging back with machine guns providing suppressive fire, ammo, plus they get mortars. They're the last class that should be running up to tanks.

They should have kept BF2's Spec-Ops class for running in and C4ing, and give him the ability to arm/disarm MCOMS and capture control points faster than the other classes.
just grab a PP-2000 with your Engineer and pretend you're a Spec-Ops dudebro.

Killer

Banned
Can I play the game only using an xbox 360 controller? I tried few times but it doesn't seem to recongnize it.it's a wired one.

sp3000

Kyaw said:
A-10 with two seats? wtfisthisshit.jpg

I was hoping for F/A-18Fs with two seats and A-10 with one seat...

Well, at least we get a two seater jet for some awesome teamplay/squadplay!

It's the same as it was in BF2. Fighter jets are 1 seat and Attack Jets are 2.

En-ou

Killer said:
Can I play the game only using an xbox 360 controller? I tried few times but it doesn't seem to recongnize it.it's a wired one.
mine recognizes it right away, check that your windows can see the controller first.

Kibbles

Killer said:
You have to plug it in before launching the game. And it works, but the sensitivity randomly gets ridiculously fast when trying to aim some vehicle weapons.

Sober

Kyaw said:
If you call <30fps playable.
It's quite doable, except maybe dueling someone 1v1 it might come down more to luck than reaction time a bit. I do maybe 15-45 on Caspian right now. Definitely should upgrade for this.

Also, my sound keeps cutting out or at least almost everything but maybe a few sources go near-mute, sometimes I can hear ambiance a bit but even the gun in my hands will be dead silent, though I'm not sure if it's FPS-related, because I was doing okay at the time (~25fps). But mostly it cuts out randomly.

Killer

Banned
En-ou said:
mine recognizes it right away, check that your windows can see the controller first.
Kibbles said:
You have to plug it in before launching the game. And it works, but the sensitivity randomly gets ridiculously fast when trying to aim some vehicle weapons.
Thanks for the responses. I'll try it when I get home. I hope it's working in controlling soldiers not only vechicles.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Xux said:
Why not? Support has ammo and C4 and can use shotguns.

Its just not the same though, haha.

I think i much prefer having the spawn beacon, it's so much fun dropping it behind lines and shotgunning people in the back.

The ammo doesn't seem all that useful in BF3 so far. There's never a clump of players who need it compared to BC2. It just feels like you're throwing it around for no reason.

Plus i always enjoyed jumping into an actual sniper mode to take out idiots in planes. I haven't tried that at all in BF3 and it does seem like it might not work as well compared to BC2.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Caspian map runs better for me, holy shit this is what i have been missing!

i'm so fucking hyped for release i may go on anti depressants to pass a few weeks

Ysiadmihi

Banned
So I'm playing with a 360 pad from my couch to test out the surround sound and trying to snipe so I don't have to get close to anyone...and it really feels like there is auto aim in the beta. I shot about 3 feet behind a guy and still hit him somehow :|

Sober

Kyaw said:
FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Stingers man... jets are fucking useless against 32 engineers with stingers.
When people start over again it should be fine. It's just that people have probably already leveled their engineer to get a stinger long ago but most people haven't had the opportunity to grind out CMs or whatever for air vehicles.

MrKnives

Kyaw said:
FUCK FUCK FUCK.

They should just remove those. If you get a Jet you should rain supreme before someone figures there are AA on the map

Mit-

Caspian officially kicks the shit out of my rig. This Dual Core 3GHz Wolfdale with the GTX 260 have go to go. Officially updating my rig.

What do I need to run this at a steady 60fps on High GAF? :(

Was thinking an i7-950 Bloomfield with a GTX 560 Ti or 570 if I can find a good deal on one.

Kyaw

Sober said:
When people start over again it should be fine. It's just that people have probably already leveled their engineer to get a stinger long ago but most people haven't had the opportunity to grind out CMs or whatever for air vehicles.

Yeah hopefully... it's so fucking unfair having like 2-3 lock ons every damn second.

MrKnives said:
They should just remove those. If you get a Jet you should rain supreme before someone figures there are AA on the map

There should only be stationary AA and/or Mobile AA. Not fucking portable launchers.

MrKnives

Mit- said:
Caspian officially kicks the shit out of my rig. This Dual Core 3GHz Wolfdale with the GTX 260 have go to go. Officially updating my rig.

Was thinking an i7-950 Bloomfield with a GTX 560 Ti or 570 if I can find a good deal on one.

On High that should be good enough. Why not i5 2500k? but yea 2500k + 560 or 570 should get you 60fps on high. Just forget Ultra.

Kyaw said:
FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Not everyone carries a stinger.

1. Flare renders stinger useless;
2. You can't shoot down a tank with stinger;
3. If you fly jet NOT close to the ground, stringer wont lock on them.

Choppers, on the other hand... yeah, they are useless against stingers.

EDIT: 9,999 problems but a Sting ain't one. Hit me!

Mit-

MrKnives said:
On High that should be good enough. Why not i5 2500k? but yea 2500k + 560 or 570 should get you 60fps on high. Just forget Ultra.
Yeah, Ultra would be nice, but I don't want to spend $500 a piece on a processor and videocard :(

Also, I admit that I am unsure of the intricacies of the i5's and i7's. I assumed i7's would be better and just went straight to those. Is a high end i5 better than a lower end i7 for a similar price?

Rezbit

Mit- said:

I've got some bad news :lol

Although truthfully with my stock i5 2500k and 560ti golden sample, it runs with a couple of settings (texture detail, geometry, geometry details or something) on ultra, the rest high, with motion blur at 25, v-sync, 2xAA, medium post-process thing and SSAO at about 50fps average. Running around by myself on Caspian Border it's smooth 60fps a lot of the time, but when I'm sitting in a building that's just been shredded to bits by a tank with aircraft having a dogfight above and me trying to shoot a rocket...goes down to about 40. Playable for me, but others mileage may vary. I assume turning all down to high, reducing AA and motion blur would send it closer to 60 constant.

CB is just fucking great though. So action packed, and a lot of the time very funny.

Kyaw

shagg_187 said:
Not everyone carries a stinger.

1. Flare renders stinger useless;
2. You can't shoot down a tank with stinger;
3. If you fly jet NOT close to the ground, stringer wont lock on them.

Choppers, on the other hand... yeah, they are useless against stingers.

Yeah.. i know... i was just exaggerating because i was so frustrated.

The stingers do have quite a long range so you would have to fly quite high or far away from the shooter which is quite difficult when you are in a dogfight.

MrKnives

Mit- said:
Yeah, Ultra would be nice, but I don't want to spend $500 a piece on a processor and videocard :(

Also, I admit that I am unsure of the intricacies of the i5's and i7's. I assumed i7's would be better and just went straight to those. Is a high end i5 better than a lower end i7 for a similar price?

i5 2500k is pretty much i7 2600k in game performance. Slower video encoding etc but go for i5 2500k you won't be disappointed. i5 2500k crushes your suggested bloomfield cpu

Rezbit said:

Although truthfully with my stock i5 2500k and 560ti golden sample, it runs with a couple of settings (texture detail, geometry, geometry details or something) on ultra, the rest high, with motion blur at 25, v-sync, 2xAA, medium post-process thing and SSAO at about 50fps average. Running around by myself on Caspian Border it's smooth 60fps a lot of the time, but when I'm sitting in a building that's just been shredded to bits by a tank with aircraft having a dogfight above and me trying to shoot a rocket...goes down to about 40. Playable for me, but others mileage may vary. I assume turning all down to high, reducing AA and motion blur would send it closer to 60 constant.

CB is just fucking great though. So action packed, and a lot of the time very funny.

He said on High. Not Ultra/High

Mit-

Rezbit said:

Yeah that's definitely not too bad.

I get like, 30-40 right now when absolutely nothing is going on in Caspian. And then if someone goes prone it drops to 20. And if someone makes a loud noise it goes to like 10. I also can't even run it at 1920x1080. And this game gets really fucking mad when you run it at a lower resolution in those menus. The menus in general are fairly awful though... Map certain keys and the mouse just disappears so you have to back out. Mouse keys are unable to be mapped. No options for that damned GUI (running the game in 1600x900, the chat box takes up half the entire screen).

I think I'm going to definitely look into the i5 2500k and probably a 570 off eBay or something. Thanks for the info GAF :) I've been out of the PC game since Battlefield 2 and Left 4 Dead.

Also where'd you find the NCIX price for the i5? Are there any good sites for camping deals on computer parts? Or did you just manually check the site? That's a pretty good price and I'm tempting to grab it before even looking into a new motherboard and all of that...

Oh and one more thing, is 600W still enough power for running a single, large video card?

Mit-

Kyaw said:
How large of a video card?

I run GTX480 on 600w OCZ PSU.
GTX 570? D: It recommends atleast a 550W PSU... I've also got a capture card and an older, small video card for a third monitor. What are the potential dangers of overloading a PSU?

.nimrod

Ugh, the guy at dice who thought it would be a good idea that you have to unlock flares for the jets deserves a punch to the balls.
If you don't have flares and there's only one enemy that has the heat seeking missiles for jets, you might as well just suicide for the rest of the match instead of flying around.

Jets are easy to fly....IF THEY ACTUALLY ALLOW ME TO INVERT THE Y AXIS!

Looking forward to when people start carrying laser targets. It should make those tanks even more vulnerable.

mr_nothin

Banned
Oh man, they've actually improved the servers for metro. I'm getting away from a lot of bullets even after being hit 2 or 3 times. I can duck, dodge, and/or prone away from danger pretty easily now. 1 hit kills still happen though.

Feels alot better!

Top Bottom