• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

jaaz

Heavy said:
I'm not feeling the beta at all. Caspian Border is just enormous. You don't feel like you're doing anything... like you're just another fly on the wall. Also too much running around, too little action, but the main gripe I have is the enormity of it all.

This is surprising because I really enjoyed Bad Company 2 and thought for sure BF3 would be THE online shooter for me, but I'm just not having fun. I've had more fun with effing Space Marine multi-player. Going to skip this. Too many other great games coming out in the coming months.

Don't take this wrong, but I think you will be more happy with the new CoD. Battlefield has always been about big maps, lots of vehicles and 64 players. Bad Company 2 wasn't really a Battlefield game in that sense. You need to go back to BF 1942/1943 and BF2 for that classic Battlefield experience.

Makoto

I hope the other conquest maps are better than Caspian Border. There's nothing particularly imaginative about its overall design and flag placement. Even Zatar Wetlands had a twist in that there was an abandoned airfield that could be captured. Caspian is okay but it doesn't even come close to BF2's map design.

JonCha said:
Metro has actually grown on me a lot, especially the second area. Blasting around with shotgun is something I never felt I could do in Bad Company 2.

You could snipe with shotgun.
You gun go assault/C4/shotgun.

JonCha

UnluckyKate said:
You could snipe with shotgun.
You gun go assault/C4/shotgun.

Sure, but were there really many situations where I could walk down a corridor dropping three or four people in two seconds?

kitch9

Banned
KingOfKong said:
im with ya. whether they like it or not this beta was also a demo to all the gamers out there (especially those that have not experienced an actual beta), most of which will be using it to judge whether or not they purchase the game. at this point and in the state that the game is I can only keep my fingers crossed and hope they have some sort of miracle version that we will see on release.

Fixing this kind of stuff involves more than the dev logging on to a pc and typing "fix the issues. "

Just so you know, as you appear to think it doesn't.

Chittagong

Gold Member
AndyMoogle said:
You can only switch teams if the other team has less players than the team you're currently in. There is a "Switch team" option in the menu somewhere. I don't remember where exactly.

You spot people with the Back button. You can't spam the button though, or it will overheat and make a beeping noise.

Thanks! Couple of more if I may

- is there a way to always default to a certain secondary like bazooka, without always having to select it?
- can I back out from the lobby somehow? I can only find quit ingame

kitch9

Banned
Heavy said:
I'm not feeling the beta at all. Caspian Border is just enormous. You don't feel like you're doing anything... like you're just another fly on the wall. Also too much running around, too little action, but the main gripe I have is the enormity of it all.

This is surprising because I really enjoyed Bad Company 2 and thought for sure BF3 would be THE online shooter for me, but I'm just not having fun. I've had more fun with effing Space Marine multi-player. Going to skip this. Too many other great games coming out in the coming months.

Yeah MW3 is out soon with it's tiny maps and killstreaks.

Can't wait.

Kyaw

Chittagong said:
Thanks! Couple of more if I may

- is there a way to always default to a certain secondary like bazooka, without always having to select it?
- can I back out from the lobby somehow? I can only find quit ingame

1. No, why would you want to do that? Press 3 for rocket launcher...
2. Alt-F4

Nekrono

Heavy said:

youredoingitwrong.jpg

Apath

It's funny, with Caspian Border I get the feeling that I'm one man on a necessary mission as a part of a much larger conflict. As opposed to Metro, where I feel like one man in a giant swarm of infantry trying to push the cluster fuck seam back just far enough for us to capture/defend the points. Everything just seems to have so much more purpose and ways to go about doing things.

And if you're not sure where to go, either spawn on squad mates, follow people, or just run towards the big red boxes on the map.

Apath

Shadybiz said:
OOHHHH! Thanks for that, I had no idea. Always waiting for a new match to start before I quit.
I've been minimizing and hitting "Close Game" on BattleLog.

It's so infuriating how you cannot access menus when you're dead/at the score screen.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
KingOfKong said:
im with ya. whether they like it or not this beta was also a demo to all the gamers out there (especially those that have not experienced an actual beta), most of which will be using it to judge whether or not they purchase the game. at this point and in the state that the game is I can only keep my fingers crossed and hope they have some sort of miracle version that we will see on release.
The worst part is that it always happens when I'm in a good game and having fun, I guess they released a beta purely to test Battlelog as they've done nothing.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Kenak said:
I've been minimizing and hitting "Close Game" on BattleLog.

It's so infuriating how you cannot access menus when you're dead/at the score screen.

They said that's fixed for retail.

Also, how do people see fps, fraps or is there an in game counter?

faildice.jpg

such a big map wasted since map placement is so close to each other just like caspian.

Twinduct

Holy Shit CB is fun. So much controlled chaos. And so much laaaag.
Oh well, hope they can put a ping/ country IP restriction in Final. So many local servers that run fine and one guy joins from, outside the country and it's shuffling warfare.

JoNike

Neo Member
Pennybags said:
Every Punkbuster-enabled server kicks me within seconds.

Help.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Edit: Right now this means the only servers I can play with decent pings are 32-slots :(

Did you install the game through Origin or through the early torrent?

Apath

I played two matches on Caspian Border, and both of them didn't have much lag. I did however run into an issue, where upon respawn, I was stuck and frozen as if I were just a fixed camera. I couldn't bring up menus, move, or chat. So I exited the game and joined a new one.

gibon3z said:
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/839/faildice.jpg

such a big map wasted since map placement is so close to each other just like caspian.
Are you saying giant maps like Caspian Border should be even bigger and more spread out?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Kenak said:
For real? Awesome!

Yea. I wish they had a central post of bugs/fixed list. Even on the official forums there is not a central place. That way people can check a master list of stuff that's been addressed before reporting more bugs/requests.

Its one of the reasons they cleaned out the official forums, too many complaints about things that have been addressed.

AndyD

aka andydumi
gibon3z said:

Someone said it might be the console version where the maps are made smaller due to the smaller population limit. No clue if that's where the shot came from though.

Kenak said:
Are you saying giant maps like Caspian Border should be even bigger and more spread out?

Map placement yes.

I was hoping for some good ol Bf2 map placement. Having the flags so close to each other just leads to support aircraft like jets and helicopters being forced to battle each other. They no longer have the time to support infantry and helping them capture a base because they constantly have a jet on their tail.

dragon_valley_64_menuMap.jpg

How it should have been :)

Someone said it might be the console version where the maps are made smaller due to the smaller population limit. No clue if that's where the shot came from though.

Shot shown is from the pc 64 player conquest variant of that map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDIwNcAF7s4

The video.

Dakota47

I was kinda sceptical after playing only Operation Metro, but Caspian Border totally won me over. I think it is finally time to pre-order.

Some screens I made.

JQgaY.jpg

9b4Kj.jpg

0SPeE.jpg

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Finally got a chance to fly a jet, and man is it tough.

Anyone have any tips with mouse/keyboard?

RS4-

MrOogieBoogie said:
Finally got a chance to fly a jet, and man is it tough.

Anyone have any tips with mouse/keyboard?

Don't use the mouse. Use WASD and the arrow keys.

At least that's what my brother uses. For me? I haven't tried.

meep!

Neo Member
And after playing Caspian Borders for about a day and a half I can safely say this will probably be my all time favorite multiplayer FPS.

Just wow. The epicness of this map is just crazy. I love that it feels very open and alot of different things are happening all over the place. It's like a bunch of smaller scale fights everywhere, instead of the straight linearity of how Metro feel (which is fun too).

While playing this map I'm getting good BF2/1942 vibes, but with much tighter and better controls and atmosphere.
I never really liked BC2 that much, it was an okay game, but got tired of it fast, so I'm really glad this doesn't feel anything like BC2.

Now I am even more hyped to see what else is in store in the full game!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm playing the PC version with a pad, (yea whatever, I enjoy it more), anyway when I go to control the guns in vehicles the controls are super touchy. Is there anything I can do about this, or is this the reality I have to live with for being horrible with KB/M controls?

harrytang

RbBrdMan said:
I'm playing the PC version with a pad, (yea whatever, I enjoy it more), anyway when I go to control the guns in vehicles the controls are super touchy. Is there anything I can do about this, or is this the reality I have to live with for being horrible with KB/M controls?

Im having same issue. I just dl'ed the xbox 360 version and the pad controls feel airtight. Number one on my team after playing pc with pad for 5 hours.

Anyone know if they have plans to make game pad work as well on PC? If not I may have to switch pre order. I'm getting smoked by mouse keyboard snipers.

woober

Woo-Fu said:
Those outside areas are barren because they're just there to give jets room to turn around.

Although looking back at BF2, they somehow managed to make it so that it didn't feel like all the flags were centered in the map. Flying a jet in BF2 felt like you were in the air but always within range of a flag or above where ground combat was happening.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
harrytang said:
Im having same issue. I just dl'ed the xbox 360 version and the pad controls feel airtight. Number one on my team after playing pc with pad for 5 hours.

Anyone know if they have plans to make game pad work as well on PC? If not I may have to switch pre order. I'm getting smoked by mouse keyboard snipers.

I usually rank about 3 or 4 playing on PC with the 360 pad. It's just when I get into a vehicle it all goes horribly wrong. I'm gonna try to mess around with the in game settings if I can figure out how.

I don't get why the the whole server gets laggy because some people with bad connections join. Never happened in any other online FPS I have played as far as I can recall. Hopefully it's just the beta version and not garbage net code.

woober said:
Although looking back at BF2, they somehow managed to make it so that it didn't feel like all the flags were centered in the map. Flying a jet in BF2 felt like you were in the air but always within range of a flag or above where ground combat was happening.

Outside of the large areas of water that were often on the maps with jets in BF2. Here you have lot more open land masses which makes it feel a bit odd, the use of water in previous games made it feel a bit more natural

Dakota47

Lazy Jones said:
I don't get why the the whole server gets laggy because some people with bad connections join. Never happened in any other online FPS I have played as far as I can recall. Hopefully it's just the beta version and not garbage net code.

From my experience I'd say it is a server-end problem. Some servers have no lag while others seem to have progressively worse lag during a game.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Man, I'm glad the beta is ending soon. I'm enjoying it a lot more now, but this is the second time that my unlocks have been reset!

J-Rzez

Just for fun I put this on my outdated PC that just "clears" the minimum requirements, and yes, the game with every graphical value in game and through nvidia panel turned down is completely unplayable. I'm not sure why they put those up there are minimum requirements because the game is horrible and it just misleads people to think they can play it just to get in and get 15fps with various other issues.

Dakota47 said:
From my experience I'd say it is a server-end problem. Some servers have no lag while others seem to have progressively worse lag during a game.

Yeah, but shouldn't all servers be the same since they are (if I'm not mistaken) all hosted by EA?

Hyunkel6

Don't you just love it when you are on a killing spree, leveling like crazy and then the game crashes right at the end of the match? I'll be really pissed if this happens in the full game.

On another note, they did confirm that our level and unlocks will transfer to the full game, right?

raphier

Banned
Hyunkel6 said:
Don't you just love it when you are on a killing spree, leveling like crazy and then the game crashes right at the end of the match? I'll be really pissed if this happens in the full game.

On another note, they did confirm that our level and unlocks will transfer to the full game, right?
You start anew.

Nekrono

Hyunkel6 said:

Uhmm no, actually everything will we wiped, even your friend list.

Top Bottom