• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

LQX

ColonialRaptor said:
Caspian is a real stand out to show what the game is all about, it's incredible!!!
Odd they would lock it out. I don't get demos that dont throw the best map or level at you. MW1 did this and I think it's one of the reasons it became so popular.

Dan Yo

Banned
The 360 demo somehow got messed up, right? Or it's a much older version of the game?

Is the 360 beta a good indication of how the final game is going to look and play like?

demolitio

The Caspian server is a lagfest now once the password REALLY got out. It crashed a couple of times and now it's hit or miss lagging.

I guess I might as well show some pics since the word is out anyway. Should I resize them?

I had to do a system restore, and now, despite having the installer on my computer origin has to download the beta again to install it again because it doesn't know the game installer is already there..

Talk about a shitty program... how lame.

They're doing an update... looks like they know it's leaked and I BET YOU that Caspian is getting taken down now, looks like it's been ruined. Great.

Kibbles

Dan Yo said:
The 360 demo somehow got messed up, right? Or it's a much older version of the game?

Is the 360 beta a good indication of how the final game is going to look and play like?
What? Nothing's wrong with it (well, beta issues asside, it looks good and has stable framerate, no tearing, great IQ) It is an old build, not final, but probably not too far off how retail will look. MP looks worse than SP, so nobody should be comparing these to the fault line videos or anything. Also I noticed if you burn it to a CD the textures take much longer to load and it takes a while for your weapon to come when you spawn, so if anyone did this make sure to download the open beta to your HDD when it releases on the marketplace on Thursday.

dLMN8R

I grabbed some crappy-quality shots with no AA. I was messing around with AA settings when I found out about this, so once I got in I didn't want to restart the game to change :-(

Oh well, still looks cool!

bf32011-09-2723-49-50-xugl.jpg

bf32011-09-2723-50-48-fuqg.jpg

bf32011-09-2723-51-43-xu4e.jpg

bf32011-09-2723-52-00-xuxq.jpg

bf32011-09-2723-52-22-qub5.jpg

JWong

Banned
Had a lot of crashes today. Missed out on a lot of Rush Ribbon finishes.

Kinda sucks when you get disconnect at the win.

demolitio

ColonialRaptor said:
They're doing an update... looks like they know it's leaked and I BET YOU that Caspian is getting taken down now, looks like it's been ruined. Great.
It definitely has. The server's been going crazy now too.

The pass got leaked on YT, Reddit, /v/ (or whatever it is), etc.

It was too good to be true once we went from 16 players to 64 in an instant.

Pennybags

demolitio said:
It definitely has. The server's been going crazy now too.

The pass got leaked on YT, Reddit, /v/ (or whatever it is), etc.

It was too good to be true once we went from 16 players to 64 in an instant.

I left to try to get a controller working for vehicles and find the battlelog update in progress. :(

dLMN8R said:
I grabbed some crappy-quality shots with no AA. I was messing around with AA settings when I found out about this, so once I got in I didn't want to restart the game to change :-(

Oh well, still looks cool!

http://www.abload.de/img/bf32011-09-2723-52-00-xuxq.jpg[img]

[/QUOTE]

Wow, somebody is already at rank 20 in the beta

aeiko

Banned
aeiko said:
ok last two pics...

terrain is HUGEEE
PMtdq.jpg

you guys seriously don't know how satisfying it feels to be flying around such a realistic looking environment. i jumped out right after this shot, but 'P' didn't deploy my parachute as i'd hoped...lol

mr_nothin

Banned
BATTLELOG UPDATE IN PROGRESS
Could be to release caspian but could be to hide those servers
Fun while it lasted. I have some amazing footage to show off though

_woLf

So much footage of it is out now they really may as well just let everyone play it....at least sometime during the beta.

woober

a8uQ8.jpg

w5VJG.jpg

wjcL0.jpg

mzvGx.jpg

4XhsP.jpg

mLhP9.jpg

i7 2600k, 6950 @ Ultra settings 35+ fps. Stunning. All the chaos felt like BF3. It was an amazing sight to behold. I left the server and noticed that battlelog was updating so I can't go back on. I CANT WAIT.

Vehicle controls felt amazing too. I tried that jeep/humvee and it rocked so much on the rough terrain. Felt so real.

Might as well share the few shots I managed to snare in the 10 minutes or so I got in there...

Maxed out 2560 shots gentleman.

1rui2.png

2sufz.png

3guof.png

4nutc.png

50uio.png

I especially like the explosion in the sky from the plane being shot down. The map is pure amazing, it's just so damn good, I can't wait to get some proper time with it.

aeiko

Banned
didn't a dev say that there's a surprise for players today coming? im guessing its the caspian unlock.. makes sense with this update and it is the 28th now..soo.....

alba

Little is the new Big
I mean if they didn't want us to play Capsian, they wouldn't have included it in the Beta and made the file smaller on PC just like the console ones. Obviously we will have it unlocked at some point :p

I certainly believe that PC is the lead sku after playing the 360 beta.

Caspian on the PC beta plus the plethora of technical glitches on the 360 beta (which is essentially the PC alpha.... with no vehicles, lol) makes me concerned about the console port's state at release.

Op. Metro just sucks outright, as well. Overall I can't see the console betas really having a positive impact for DICE.

Izayoi

Banned
holy fuuuuuck

uploadan some screens now

why did they even put metro in at all

wow

demolitio, rehost those somewhere nice, like abload

It's going to suck having gotten a tiny taste of the map and then getting it yanked away like that :(

I got my joystick working with the Jets as well, and damn it's so damn fun just flying around... the flight is as good as any flying game out there like HAWX or Ace Combat, fuck those games they aren't needed, because having the ground and sky combat together is just superb... it's just the best, being able to bail out and then go down to the ground and continue fighting... oh man.

And the roar of the jets as they fly over and the sound of their machine guns as they fire... SO GOOD.

sp3000

The view from the cockpit at 1000 meters in the air is just amazing.

The most breathtaking view I've ever seen in a multiplayer game.

FGMPR

Banned
Well, that 20mins of Caspian pretty much destroyed any fears I had of BF3 not living up to my expectations.

I NEED MORE

woober

CYA RUSH. It was nice knowing you, but thank god for this. It really does feel like they went back to BF2's roots with this. Haven't played too much of it to get a better sense, but just seeing it made me believe. I can't believe how well it runs on my PC too.

The area to fly around in is SO huge as well, like it's massive... you can basically fly around forever no restrictions almost... it's so cool. It's also cool how you seem to stall when you hit the ceiling, and also cool how there seems to be other jets flying over and dropping bombs somewhere else off in the distance to ad to the ambiance.

Damn Battlefield just rocks... I want back in!

nitric0

ColonialRaptor said:
The area to fly around in is SO huge as well, like it's massive... you can basically fly around forever no restrictions almost... it's so cool. It's also cool how you seem to stall when you hit the ceiling, and also cool how there seems to be other jets flying over and dropping bombs somewhere else off in the distance to ad to the ambiance.

Damn Battlefield just rocks... I want back in!
Did you try parachuting from a jet? The dude quivering because its so cold at that altitude, love the detail

nitric0 said:
Did you try parachuting from a jet? The dude quivering because its so cold at that altitude, love the detail

Yeah, and you spread your arms and legs out to free fall, and then when you pull your chute you can look up and see the chute, absolutely awesome.

Proxy said:
Apparently this is the time for daily maintenance so maybe there's still hope they won't yank those servers down.

http://twitter.com/#!/Battlefield/status/118947711226613762

Although they probably will.

Wish they said how long it lasted for...

demolitio

Izayoi said:
holy fuuuuuck

uploadan some screens now

why did they even put metro in at all

wow

demolitio, rehost those somewhere nice, like abload
Alright, I'll try to rehost somewhere. I used that place because someone told me they were good, lol.

I'm normally not the type of guy to ever post game pics online, but that shit was truly magnificent. The lighting alone makes it feel so real. I wish I could have contorted my arm and got some pics of the dogfight in action. I ended up taking 4 jets and 2 helos down in my last life on the server, lol.

woober

The chaos I saw with the air vehicles as seen in my shots were LOL. Made me remember the days of BF2 when no one knew how to fly ... crashing planes into runways, jets flying 10 ft above ground... it makes me giddy.

Top Bottom