• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Kyaw

spidye said:
isn't this game supposed to come out in 4 weeks? It must have gone gold by now

It hasn't gone gold yet.

Megasoum said:
Where do you guys see a game update? I can't find an option for that anywhere in Origin...

Right click on BF3 Beta icon/poster thingy > Check for updates

Kyaw

soultron said:
It's crazy how they even put the sound of the pilot breathing heavily to avoid G-LOC.

That shit is INTENSE. I really want to get a flightstick now. I suck at doing micro adjustments with keyboard.

I have blown up so many helicopters with my terrible flying...

LQX

There is going to be a lot of Caspian only servers. I will be the first to donate if GAF decides on buy a server. I wonder if those dudes are playing with a 360 controller.

Megasoum

Banned
Kyaw said:
Right click on BF3 Beta icon/poster thingy > Check for updates

That's the thing... I only get Play Now, Show game details, Add to favorites and Uninstall. And nothing in the game detail page. I tried to check/uncheck the "Keep my games automatically up to date" in the settings but it doesn't change anything.

Ezduo

Banned
Kyaw said:
Well, for all the bitching about nerfing jets they still look powerful as all hell. Tore up the ground vehicles and helicopters in one flyby. I'm curious what exactly a disabled jet is though since it appeared that they could still control the thing after the message popped up. Maybe that was just flying on momentum though? Also didn't see any missiles. I suppose you unlock them or something.

Kyaw

Ezduo said:
Well, for all the bitching about nerfing jets they still look powerful as all hell. Tore up the ground vehicles and helicopters in one flyby. I'm curious what exactly a disabled jet is though since it appeared that they could still control the thing after the message popped up. Maybe that was just flying on momentum though? Also didn't see any missiles. I suppose you unlock them or something.

A disabled Jet is a dead jet. I've got my jet disabled and it was uncontrollable. You also bleed health after the disable point.

Megasoum said:
That's the thing... I only get Play Now, Show game details, Add to favorites and Uninstall. And nothing in the game detail page. I tried to check/uncheck the "Keep my games automatically up to date" in the settings but it doesn't change anything.

Hmm, then i have no idea... my client updated that way.

pelican

Big Baybee said:
This is kinda close to release for this to be a true beta. Hope for a patch.

Remember that this won't be the current build in DICE. This build will be fairly old now in development standards where bug testing and fixing is done on a daily basis.

The problem is that people today consider Betas to be glorified demos. An opportunity to play the game early. This isn't the case as the purpose of any beta is to resolve issues and improve the overall game at launch.

I have played many betas being a MMO fan and you are guaranteed that no matter the game, no matter the stage of development that some twat will be moaning on general chat about how shit and broken the game is.

p.s. Big Baybee - my comments aren't directed at you mate, just a general observation of recent posts both on and off GAF.

On a side note. I think BF3 on the PS3 is fucking awesome, and I can't wait to play it on my PC tomorrow.

Is anyone else unable to bind keys? Key bindings simply don't work for me. I've forced to hit "escape" to get off the binding screen since no inputs register.

Kyaw said:
A disabled Jet is a dead jet. I've got my jet disabled and it was uncontrollable. You also bleed health after the disable point.

There is a specialization called "Extinguisher" that will bring your disabled jet back up to controllable levels, if you can maintain control long enough. I've had pilots stay in the sky for a while after being disabled, though they eventually explode.

Xux

Weird that BF3 isn't gold when MW3 just went gold and it comes out two weeks later. Guess this might be EA's trying to get the game out before MW3 or maybe it's just the companies having different development timelines.

demolitio

Kyaw said:
That shit is INTENSE. I really want to get a flightstick now. I suck at doing micro adjustments with keyboard.

I have blown up so many helicopters with my terrible flying...
Hold off on getting one until we see if it's fixed at launch since everyone's been having problems configuring their sticks. Mine ruined my on foot controls so I spent an hour overwriting all of them just to find out the jet controls didn't work properly anyway and I wrecked the jet, lol.

I actually used my DS3 instead which pissed me off originally, but ended up working quite well. I hope they fix it and don't leave the joysticks like they are in BC2 and don't work. Someone that was a legit tester on Caspian was talking about how that setting is really for MS controllers instead which proved to be true since emulating my DS3 as a 360 controller made it work right out of the box with no need to mess with controls.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Megasoum said:

same. EU if it matters.

xIvSlowDeath420

Neo Member
Xux said:
Weird that BF3 isn't gold when MW3 just went gold and it comes out two weeks later. Guess this might be EA's trying to get the game out before MW3 or maybe it's just the companies having different development timelines.

I suspect that has more to do with MW3 really just needing to be reskinned(i exagerate obviously) but there is truth there too:)

dogmanstaruk said:
Remember that this won't be the current build in DICE. This build will be fairly old now in development standards where bug testing and fixing is done on a daily basis.

I don't know. Either way I don't think it shakes out to be good.

Either the the console beta build is 2< months old which begs the question, why even put that out for public consumption by the millions of console gamers sure to download it, this close to release?

Or, this ISN'T an old build which in case, whoa holy shit, they have a lot of work to do in only a couple of weeks.

jet1911

This is really getting annoying, I can't even "finish" a game. Every time the round finish I get booted off the game with this error. "Your connection to the server has timed out". Sucks because I have to unlock the same fucking equipement every game I play bacause the stats don't register. I know it's a beta but fix that shit DICE.

eznark

Banned
jet1911 said:
This is really getting annoying, I can't even "finish" a game. Every time the round finish I get booted off the game with this error. "Your connection to the server has timed out". Sucks because I have to unlock the same fucking equipement every game I play bacause the stats don't register. I know it's a beta but fix that shit DICE.

Same thing is happening to me.

MNC

NO NO NO NO NO

AS SOON AS I TRY TO JOIN A SERVER BF3 STARTS THEN CLOSES

THIS IS *NOT* HOW I WANT TO SPEND MY WEDNESDAY NIGHT

Help me GAF! I tried rebooting Origin and my laptop.

Anyone have a list of the default key bindings for the pc version ?

I want to configure my g13 and it sucks having to join a game first and then quitting to input a binding onto the Logitech software.

Xux

xIvSlowDeath420 said:
I suspect that has more to do with MW3 really just needing to be reskinned(i exagerate obviously) but there is truth there too:)

Speaking of reskins, good to see some of the copy-pasta buildings from BC2 returning with a new coat of paint in the Caspian footage. :lol

A question for someone that plays/played BF2, are the jets relevant for infantry at all, or it their only role to take down other flying machines. From the videos it seems like they are just playing their own little game in total disregard of what is happening in the floor, how are they helping to capture/defending points, etc?

Jburton

Banned
Kinyou said:
I could see it happen on the pc; On the consoles, I highly doubt it.

Its already on the store (PSN) ..... and they do not update on any other day than wed / thurs (depending on your territory).

It must switch over automatically to allow all accounts (psn).

Kinyou

Jburton said:
Its already on the store (PSN) ..... and they do not update on any other day than wed / thurs (depending on your territory).

It must switch over automatically to allow all accounts (psn).
Wait what? So I can download it right now on my PS3 without any codes etc.?

Edit: oh I should have read the second part of the post. lol.

Top Bottom