• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Kyaw said:
No other way atm. DICE needs to sort this out ASAP.

I'm starting to think it's some stupid design choice. One of the aircraft specializations involves displaying all friendly and enemy aircraft on the minimap, as well as increase the size/scope of the minimap.

Heysoos

I really wish I could get better on PC. On the 360 my reflexes are super quick, and I easily go at least 2.0kdr and above, but on PC I have to really try hard to stay above 1. :( Gotta keep practicing. My reflexes with the mouse aren't quite there yet.

Also, why won't it let me map the grenade throwing button and stuff onto my mouse?

Ysiadmihi said:
I should have given some context I suppose, but my problems are all on EA.

Didn't receive an early access key, then couldn't log in to Battlelog once I had. I should have known this would be a clusterfuck when they gave me a Dead Space 2 key that was already in use.

I feel you. I am finally talking to a rep right now but i am on hold due to some sort of "updating" going on. If I manage to get a key it will be pointless due to the fact I am going to work soon and after work the early beta will be pretty much over.

disappointing to say the least.

Makoto

Rumor is another map is going to be tested for PC following it's trailer reveal in a week. Supposedly it's called Plaza Manhattan and is a Conquest map pulled from the New York SP mission.

It's probably bullshit.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
vidal said:
Rumor is another map is going to be tested for PC following it's trailer reveal in a week. Supposedly it's called Plaza Manhattan and is a Conquest map pulled from the New York SP mission.

It's probably bullshit.

Source?

Pat

Origin is asking me to download an update for the beta which is 3.9GB... The same exact amount of space the beta takes. Am I re-downloading the whole thing again?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
eurgh, password changed. fuck going back to rush, i'd be quite happy to never have to play that wretched mode for the rest of my life.

probably the best thing about the disparity in player sizes in different modes is that once you join a 64 player conquest server, no way is it going to boot half of its player-count just to mix it up with bottom feeding game modes.

Nabs

Pat said:
Origin is asking me to download an update for the beta which is 3.9GB... The same exact amount of space the beta takes. Am I re-downloading the whole thing again?
Most likely. I just logged in to check, and there is no update.

Looks like tessellation is enabled...possibly higher textures in this map as well.

2uskgzq.jpg

vpj2gm.jpg

MNC

I got an update as well, 3.9GB. It's probably the entire beta redownloaded instead of a proper patch. Meh. Oh well, download with 4MB/s anyway.

What's the difference in performance with AA post and AA normal?

MNC said:
I got an update as well, 3.9GB. It's probably the entire beta redownloaded instead of a proper patch. Meh. Oh well, download with 4MBs anyway.

What's the difference in performance with AA post and AA normal?

So happy I have Fios and no bandwith limit.

Cobra84 said:
Should be the newest. Using anything else as your demo is just a good way to kill sales. I'm definitely not falling for the old build bullshit from every buggy beta/demo again. If things have been fixed, then let me play that build.

First its not a demo its a beta, there's a difference.

Second, this being the most recent build isn't likely. With the way the console certification works (it takes upwards of 3 or more weeks to go through the certification process) this beta build could be well over a month old. DICE is crushing bugs daily and what they're playing in the office today isn't going to be the same as what we are currently playing.

ghst said:
eurgh, password changed. fuck going back to rush, i'd be quite happy to never have to play that wretched mode for the rest of my life.

probably the best thing about the disparity in player sizes in different modes is that once you join a 64 player conquest server, no way is it going to boot half of its player-count just to mix it up with bottom feeding game modes.

Try Appletini ;)

Put a bit more time into it today and really enjoying it more. Ran across an underground glitch and when my teammate spawn on me we were both under. Managed to get out pretty easily though. I'm still getting the hang of the controls also. Maybe I have to mess with the sensitivity a bit more.

Can't wait until Thursday since i seem to be the only on of my FL with the beta.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Glowingmonx said:
Try Appletini ;)

I don't care for a drink just give me the sodding passwooooooooooord

edit : on another note, I still haven't gotten any update prompt yet I've been playing both maps without a problem this whole time, even recently that is.

Soma

I gotta say I'm liking the level of customization in this game.

Want to slap on an ACOG scope on your shotgun? Sure why the fuck not!

Kyaw

vidal said:

It's probably bullshit.

SOUURRCCEEE????

I am liking Operation Metro so far. Very CoD like. I wonder if that was part of their marketing scheme, to release a CQC level with infantry only to maybe draw in some CoD fans?

The amount of clipping on the first outside section is terrible though. Also, meh @ FB 2.0 so far. For all the hype they put behind it, I don't see the big deal. On the last section of the map earlier today someone blew a lot of rubble out of one of the buildings. Cool? Would have been more impressed if you could bring it down like BC2.

Really enjoying the gunplay of the game though. And has anyone else had a lot of issues with the defib paddles? It rarely revives someone.

vidal said:

It's probably bullshit.

There definitely is a NY MP map. Don't know if it'll be playable in the beta.

Bumblebeetuna said:
I am liking Operation Metro so far. Very CoD like. I wonder if that was part of their marketing scheme, to release a CQC level with infantry only to maybe draw in some CoD fans?

The amount of clipping on the first outside section is terrible though. Also, meh @ FB 2.0 so far. For all the hype they put behind it, I don't see the big deal. On the last section of the map earlier today someone blew a lot of rubble out of one of the buildings. Cool? Would have been more impressed if you could bring it down like BC2.

Really enjoying the gunplay of the game though. And has anyone else had a lot of issues with the defib paddles? It rarely revives someone.

Yeah, I think that is EXACTLY what they're strategy was. Glad to see you think it might work--you on 360 or...?

Yeah, FB 2.0 really isn't that hot, at the moment. Well, I mean, it's good, but it's not as jaw-dropping as I thought. From what I can tell, though, the destruction in Metro is about the same as it was during the Alpha, and they said that was toned down. They also said the tower in Caspian Border CAN be destroyed, but it can't currently be, so I'm thinking it's not fully "enabled". Which is weird.

For defib, make sure they have the "revive" icon above them. If it's just a body, they're dead for good.

Mr. Snrub said:
Yeah, I think that is EXACTLY what they're strategy was. Glad to see you think it might work--you on 360 or...?

Yeah, FB 2.0 really isn't that hot, at the moment. Well, I mean, it's good, but it's not as jaw-dropping as I thought. From what I can tell, though, the destruction in Metro is about the same as it was during the Alpha, and they said that was toned down. They also said the tower in Caspian Border CAN be destroyed, but it can't currently be, so I'm thinking it's not fully "enabled". Which is weird.

For defib, make sure they have the "revive" icon above them. If it's just a body, they're dead for good.

PS3.

I only try on the guys with the heart beat icon above their dead corpses but it rarely works. Don't know if its a beta issue or not. Thought maybe it was a cool down issue, but even if I haven't used it at all in my current life, it won't work. Maybe it has something to do with the "accept revive" option they give you? Idk.

Mikey Jr.

Played this on PS3.

Fuck, this game is janky.

The first part of metro, I am constantly going through the ground.

Then near the A objective on the first part, there was this deep crater that if you fell in, you couldn't get back out.

It's fun, but it feels like its being held together by duct tape. Bad Company 2 is way more polished, which is baffling.

MNC

moonspeak said:
also for the dudes on Caspian Border, any of you witness that huge tower fall down yet?
It MUST be able to break down. YOu can't not have the frostbite engine and not have a wonky tower fall down.

squidyj

Deus Ex Machina said:
Looks like tessellation is enabled...possibly higher textures in this map as well.

I don't really see the tessellation but those distant hills look like they should be smooth anyways so I guess it could be on? Lot of nice instanced rocks on the ground though, management for that is great in DX11 if I understand correctly

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
squidyj said:
I don't really see the tessellation but those distant hills look like they should be smooth anyways so I guess it could be on? Lot of nice instanced rocks on the ground though, management for that is great in DX11 if I understand correctly

on the topic of tessellation the engine/rendering architect at DICE confirmed that tessellation is indeed in the beta when you pick terrain detail high or ultra.

Mikey Jr. said:
Played this on PS3.

Fuck, this game is janky.

The first part of metro, I am constantly going through the ground.

Then near the A objective on the first part, there was this deep crater that if you fell in, you couldn't get back out.

It's fun, but it feels like its being held together by duct tape. Bad Company 2 is way more polished, which is baffling.

Well this is still a beta so you can't really compare a finished product to this. Unless you're referring to the BC2 beta.. The glitches are pretty annoying but I doubt these things will be in the final game.

Menelaus

Banned
Speaking of platoons, they obviously cap at 100 players.

I think in practice, you'd want smaller platoons, maybe 12-16 players.

Mikey Jr.

eternaLightness said:
Well this is still a beta so you can't really compare a finished product to this. Unless you're referring to the BC2 beta.. The glitches are pretty annoying but I doubt these things will be in the final game.

I always thought EA's "beta"s were considered demos.

But I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

eternaLightness said:
This is kinda close to release for this to be a true beta. Hope for a patch.

Eric WK

Kyaw said:
This beta is actually a bit too janky to be a demo.

That doesn't really mean anything.

I'm sure there will be some useful information gleaned from this and probably some actions that result, but this close to launch it will be hard for them to make those changes before the game goes gold if they haven't already in a newer post-beta build.

Top Bottom