• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

It's pretty neat so far, though there are two issues I've been having.
1) Trouble getting into servers - It just stays on "Joining Server" Usually, I need to close bf3.exe via task manager, then try to join again before it lets me in.
2) Booted out with no message - This seems to happen when I press the "Enter" key too many times when I respawn. It boots me out at the moment I appear with no error message or anything telling me what happened. I'm guessing it's a bug.

How do I even get into a server now? All the ones I'm trying with a decent ping are full, and it just says I can't join, whereas yesterday when I looked at for a minute (didn't get to actually play) it put me into a queue...

BTW, I'm using the PC based browser based server listing

DanielJr82

Just a few quirks I thought were annoying, but otherwise great looking game.

1. Switching from gadget to weapon is awkward. I'm used to BC2 where you can "equip" your gadget, then just press Y (Xbox version) and switch back to your weapon. In BF3 the game automatically switches you to your weapon after a single use of your gadget (Assault anyways), so pressing Y takes you to the hand gun instead of the main weapon. A real annoyance when you're in a tight situation and need those quick reflexes up to par, I can't have the game do the switching for me. Let me be in control of that.

2. The menus feel messy and cluttered. It feels like a step backward from BC2 where everything was neatly organized and visually appealing. Here it feels like I'm in a DOS operation system with light boxes everywhere. I highly doubt they'll change this, though.

3. Ever prone on the ground near the objectives? There's visual clipping on the ground, you can actually see underneath the textured floor and see empty space. I hope they fix this one for sure.

I'm sure I'll find more the more I play. For now those stand out. Something is seriously bothering me about this game, I don't know, it feels rushed. I think DICE should take another couple of months to really polish this up. Maybe even a year, there's a lot of work and optimization to be done on consoles.

Nizz

DanielJr82 said:

1. Switching from gadget to weapon is awkward. I'm used to BC2 where you can "equip" your gadget, then just press Y (Xbox version) and switch back to your weapon. In BF3 the game automatically switches you to your weapon after a single use of your gadget (Assault anyways), so pressing Y takes you to the hand gun instead of the main weapon. A real annoyance when you're in a tight situation and need those quick reflexes up to par, I can't have the game do the switching for me. Let me be in control of that.

2. The menus feel messy and cluttered. It feels like a step backward from BC2 where everything was neatly organized and visually appealing. Here it feels like I'm in a DOS operation system with light boxes everywhere. I highly doubt they'll change this, though.

3. Ever prone on the ground near the objectives? There's visual clipping on the ground, you can actually see underneath the textured floor and see empty space. I hope they fix this one for sure.

I'm sure I'll find more the more I play. For now those stand out. Something is seriously bothering me about this game, I don't know, it feels rushed. I think DICE should take another couple of months to really polish this up. Maybe even a year, there's a lot of work and optimization to be done on consoles.
This is what worries me also. In a way, I kind of wish this was releasing in March just like Bad Company 2 did. I feel like they're rushing the product to beat MW3 to market. The stuff in the beta could be fixed already or in the process of being taken care of.

A part of me is glad the game is coming out soon, but another part of me wishes they would let it have a couple more months to really polish it. Or it could be really polished when it releases later next month, who knows?

Alright, I'm back for some more Caspian (hopefully). I've only got until tomorrow to play then I'm out for a week. :( So yeah, hardcore BF3 for me tonight. Can someone forward me the pass?

Menelaus

Banned
Haven't had a chance to see Caspian yet. If anyone knows the password, feel free to hook a brother up.

it's not appletini or sexyelevator anymore, fyi

Strife91

purple cobra said:
This is what worries me also. In a way, I kind of wish this was releasing in March just like Bad Company 2 did. I feel like they're rushing the product to beat MW3 to market. The stuff in the beta could be fixed already or in the process of being taken care of.

A part of me is glad the game is coming out soon, but another part of me wishes they would let it have a couple more months to really polish it. Or it could be really polished when it releases later next month, who knows?

We will probably get hundreds of patches instead.

MNC

I can't imagine the poor devs crunching away at every little mistake for the launch... EA must be whipping them hard :(

It doesn't look like we're collecting bugs/glitches/oddities in the OP, but this plagued me earlier so I thought I'd share the solution.

If you are getting stuck on Matchmaking during Quick Match or generally any other time, you need to ensure the server browser isn't being filtered into getting 0 results. It seems it retains that information for the match making services, which is good to know.

Yo Gotti

Banned
purple cobra said:

Yea, console ports are clearly rushed. If this beta representative at all of the final product there's no way I can buy it.

Calibur

DanielJr82 said:

Make sure DICE & Battlefield 3 dev team hears your problems on there forum!!!

woober

Calibur said:
Make sure DICE & Battlefield 3 dev team hears your problems on there forum!!!

Definitely. Voicing complaints here is fine, but also do it in the forums where the developers might actually read it.

JoNike

Neo Member
betty swollocks said:
This beta is very much more than likely 4 or 5 builds old so I wouldn't be concerned with it being representative of final...

Dude, sometime you get 4-5 builds a day. Of course it is 4-5 builds old.

Top Bottom