• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Paches-EJ- said:
Hard to tell because of the limit of this single map. Only the first stage seems to be conducive to sniping, so I don't think there is really a firm grasp on what it is going to be like. In that one area though, snipers can put a definite lock down on area, it just takes patience to sneak around them/use shrubs.

Well... DICE has basically nerfed my anti-sniper strategy by taking ammo away from assaults. Now 40mm smoke is practically worthless since you can't restock it (especially since more than half the rounds are duds). Smoke used to be the best way to get to a well defended COM but not it's been nerfed to death. :/

DTKT said:
Honestly, it's not like BC2 at all. Bullet travel is instant, there is no bullet drop. Metro is a small map but it's really different from BC2. I don't like at all.

Uhhh.... I don't think they removed bullet drop dude. That would have caused an epic gaf+internet backlash and meltdown not soon forgotten.

soultron

Banned
DTKT said:
Honestly, it's not like BC2 at all. Bullet travel is instant, there is no bullet drop. Metro is a small map but it's really different from BC2. I don't like at all.
That's unfortunate. I really liked bullet drop since it made you feel like such a badass once you started performing really consistently. It made extended breaks (say, 2 weeks) away from the game difficult since you had to readjust to it when you got back. I felt that sway in BC2 would've made the sniping a heap more fun than it already was.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
soultron said:
That's unfortunate. I really liked bullet drop since it made you feel like such a badass once you started performing really consistently. It made extended breaks (say, 2 weeks) away from the game difficult since you had to readjust to it when you got back. I felt that sway in BC2 would've made the sniping a heap more fun than it already was.

I wouldn't be too quick to believe bullet drop is gone.

I'm kind of liking Caspian Border.

I don't know if the jets are actually any slower than in BF2, but they seem to be moving in slow motion. It looks bizarre...

What the hell...

I formatted my computer now I'm getting this...

PizA2.jpg

Fucking awesome...

I bet it has to do with some shitty DRM origin is using.

luiztfc

Why can't I play Caspian Border (PC)? All the servers are password protected...

----

Found it: you need a access to a password..

Man, I need to find some kind of tutorial or something. Been quite some time since I've played any competitive multiplayer shooters, but have been wanting to get back into one and figured I could get in on the ground floor with BF3

I totally blow - swear I'm shooting people and they don't die. And at least 50-75% of the time I die, I don't even know where I got shot from. Kill cams seem pretty useless - just a super close up for the guy that killed you, but you can't tell where they are.

tl;dr Anyone got any youtube recommendations where a total newbie like to me could look to get a little guidance?

rabhw

Metalmurphy said:
Hah, looks like someone already removed the pastebin

*edit* Oops, nm, i copied/pasted wrong.

Thanks.

Really? The pastebin still works for me, I PMed you the contents of it.

Edit: Or not! :)

Helmholtz

unagisensei said:
Man, I need to find some kind of tutorial or something. Been quite some time since I've played any competitive multiplayer shooters, but have been wanting to get back into one and figured I could get in on the ground floor with BF3

I totally blow - swear I'm shooting people and they don't die. And at least 50-75% of the time I die, I don't even know where I got shot from. Kill cams seem pretty useless - just a super close up for the guy that killed you, but you can't tell where they are.

tl;dr Anyone got any youtube recommendations where a total newbie like to me could look to get a little guidance?
Yeah, the kill cams are awful. I'd much rather a TF2 or MW2 esque kill cam that is actually useful.
As for killing people...I'm new to this game too, and I find you just have to have precise aim and only tap out a few bullets at a time, similar to counter-strike.

Helmholtz said:
Yeah, the kill cams are awful. I'd much rather a TF2 or MW2 esque kill cam that is actually useful.
As for killing people...I'm new to this game too, and I find you just have to have precise aim and only tap out a few bullets at a time, similar to counter-strike.

Yeah I'm realizing that. Other thing is I have trouble quickly recognizing who is on my time vs the other team. Everyone appears to be wearing similarly colored cammo, and if you wait to see if a blue name pops up over their head, you're usually already dead. I miss the days of quake CTF where skins hi-lighted with either bright red or blue!

Vire

Pookaki said:
BETA! Not Demo. Unfinished software. These things are expected.
You hardly believe this right? Having a month to adjust things is next to laughable. Mind you a game that comes out one week before BF3 - Batman Arkham City has already gone gold. I hate to break it to you but games aren't finished a day before the release date, there's time needed for manufacturing and shipping. This "beta" is nothing more than an elaborate marketing ploy. Anyone who believes the final product will be dramatically different is sincerely fooling themselves. Ask anyone who knows their ass from their elbow in the industry.

REV 09

The game is certainly prettier than the alpha, though it seems to have the same amount of bugs, just different ones. My main problem is that the game isn't that fun.

Evolved1 said:
Well... DICE has basically nerfed my anti-sniper strategy by taking ammo away from assaults. Now 40mm smoke is practically worthless since you can't restock it (especially since more than half the rounds are duds). Smoke used to be the best way to get to a well defended COM but not it's been nerfed to death. :/

Support + mortar + 60mm smoke rounds = future.

Just imagine you see a wide open field and you want to rush across.

Set up mortar from behind cover, pop 2 mortar rounds with smoke now sprint across as they land near you obscuring you :p

ACE 1991

Vire said:
You hardly believe this right? Having a month to adjust things is next to laughable. Mind you a game that comes out one week before BF3 - Batman Arkham City has already gone gold. I hate to break it to you but games aren't finished a day before the release date, there's time needed for manufacturing and shipping. This "beta" is nothing more than an elaborate marketing ploy. Anyone who believes the final product will be dramatically different is sincerely fooling themselves. Ask anyone who knows their ass from their elbow in the industry.

Day 1 patch, bro. Chill your shit.

jaaz

Okay, I'm sure DICE didn't intended that sniper reflection crap to completely mask a recon at short range so he can one-shot you. It's ridiculous, recons are running around with the sniper rifle shooting like if it was a shotgun. I like the game, but man does it need work...

Nekrono

jaaz said:
Okay, I'm sure DICE didn't intended that sniper reflection crap to completely mask a recon at short range so he can one-shot you. It's ridiculous, recons are running around with the sniper rifle shooting like if it was a shotgun. I like the game, but man does it need work...
That's not the sniper reflection, it's the tactical flashlight attachment, it's the same effect but way bigger.

I thought the same thing until I saw a light moving on the ground then I looked up and some dude from the other team was running to me and pointed me and then I couldn't see shit lol, pretty awesome!

jaaz said:
It was probably someone with a flashlight equipped, powerful tool for jumping around corners.

jaaz

Ah okay, it was the flashlight. Still pretty stupid that the flashlight can completely blind you in full daylight (it was outside, at the last area).

Vire said:
This beta is not representative of the product as it stands now. You really think they said, "Hey its Beta day, lets just shove out a build of our code right now!"

Nope.

This beta build is WAAAAY older than 3 days I'd wager that this beta is a few weeks newer than the Alpha. I'd put my left testicle on that.

JBuccCP

Holy shit the flashlights are annoying. So many people have them even my own fucking teammates are blinding me half the time.

Top Bottom