• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
The point is that people claim that they don't care about winning/losing or "taking the game too seriously", but then turn around having big fights about "skills".

All stats are useless if you're not winning the game on hand.

WINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

My haitus is extending to February of next year btw.
(will play a few games of armored kill)

WE WERE BOARD AS HELL!

tn2007

The point is that people claim that they don't care about winning/losing or "taking the game too seriously", but then turn around having big fights about "skills".

All stats are useless if you're not winning the game on hand.

WINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

My haitus is extending to February of next year btw.
(will play a few games of armored kill)

We are just comparing skills to mess around and troll each other. We all play to WIN, but what I really enjoy is winning a game you probably shouldn't. When it's GAF team stack vs randoms I expect us to win. When it's GAF stack vs good randoms with other clans in there than it gets exciting. I play for these types of moments, when the other team is clearly better but some how we pull out a win. I rage when we are clearly better but lose to much lesser teams. But I do enjoy every moment because it's a learning experience. The times I get bored is when we base camp a team in 5 minutes and win convincingly. And then stay on the same server/teams only to do it over and over again.

tn2007

Console BF3 is such serious business. >_>

It really is due to low player count. On a 64 man server you as a player you really can't control a game enough to truly care about your win/loss ratio.

Not saying PC is better competitively because they play mostly 4v4 to 12v12 for tournaments and leagues. But 64 man servers with 5-7 flags is more fun than 24 guys on big ass 3-4 flag maps.

BoatAck

We are just comparing skills to mess around and troll each other. We all play to WIN, but what I really enjoy is winning a game you probably shouldn't. When it's GAF team stack vs randoms I expect us to win. When it's GAF stack vs good randoms with other clans in there than it gets exciting. I play for these types of moments, when the other team is clearly better but some how we pull out a win. I rage when we are clearly better but lose to much lesser teams. But I do enjoy every moment because it's a learning experience. The times I get bored is when we base camp a team in 5 minutes and win convincingly. And then stay on the same server/teams only to do it over and over again.

One of the best moments was a Kharg game about 4 or 5 months ago that we played against a really good team who I think was beating us the match or two previous. That team was tough as hell and it came down to the last ticket. I wish we had the favorite option then. Do you remember that game? I think nick tha butcher was in it as well as someone I think you said you knew irl or something who was on the other team.

tn2007

One of the best moments was a Kharg game about 4 or 5 months ago that we played against a really good team who I think was beating us the match or two previous. That team was tough as hell and it came down to the last ticket. I wish we had the favorite option then. Do you remember that game? I think nick tha butcher was in it as well as someone I think you said you knew irl or something who was on the other team.

Was Olimpia or JJD in that game as well? I probably don't remember. Was it the one where the other team had a guy camping on D the whole game?

BoatAck

Was Olimpia or JJD in that game as well? I probably don't remember. Was it the one where the other team had a guy camping on D the whole game?

I really can't remember well either, but I don't think so, because if they were, we probably wouldn't have had such a tough time. I just remember trying to cap A toward the end of the round, you were near me and got killed by one of their guys in a tank, he jumped out to repair and then I knifed him and stole the tank and then the round ended shortly after that with us winning by like one ticket.

meppi

When it's GAF stack vs good randoms with other clans in there than it gets exciting.

And when it's one gaffer versus another with the first one is on a mediocre team that's 3 man short for the first 10-15 minutes of the game, because he got team switches after a round where nearly everyone on the other side quit.
Yet he's able to build an advantage of 30-40 tickets, then sees the second gaffer bail out as he's losing, that's when I laugh my ass off. :p

tn2007

And when it's one gaffer versus another with the first one is on a mediocre team that's 3 man short for the first 10-15 minutes of the game and yet able to build an advantage of 30-40 tickets, then sees the second gaffer bail as he's losing, that's when I laugh my ass off. :p

Lol, who was it that bailed?

tn2007

I really can't remember well either, but I don't think so, because if they were, we probably wouldn't have had such a tough time. I just remember trying to cap A toward the end of the round, you were near me and got killed by one of their guys in a tank, he jumped out to repair and then I knifed him and stole the tank and then the round ended shortly after that with us winning by like one ticket.

Damn that sounds awesome, but I don't remember that game. I even looked on bf3stats to see if that game was there but it wasn't.

.....I think I was there..... Hmmmm

You weren't there ;P.

meppi

Lol, who was it that bailed?

Nah, don't want to name and shame. ;)

I can understand he did though since I was very lucky. Hadn't played for nearly a month and for some reason I did better than when I played daily.
I think the first thing that messed him up was him trying to rapair tool my tank.
But I was on to that and let my tank run down from 60 to about 10%, quickly jumped out and anticipated that he'd yank it, so I blew him up with my repair tool, killing myself the process. :)
That was my first death and I was 16-1 for some reason.

I thought at first that it was a great game since the score stayed close for quite a while, but then I noticed we were undermanned and thought it was just a matter of time before they capped all the flags and we were gonna get baseraped.
Somehow it didn't come to that and after a while several others joined.

Lol since GAF team stacks (I do this too) win/loss does not matter that much. Win/loss only matters if you compete in clan battles. All the stats in the game can be boosted someway or another. Kill to death ratio, skill, and to some degree SPM can be boosted by vehicle whoring or teamstacking. SPM can be boost if you play CQ all the time. Win/loss can be boosted by playing weak randoms or teamstacking. Only true competition can really tell how good a player is. Because your peers are the ones that really know how good you are.

For example the best infantry player on GAF PS3 hands down is dawnoflife. But does his K/D say he is the best? No. Best all around player is probably Olimpia but does his SPM or K/D say he is? Nope. What I am trying to say is at the end of the day stats mean shit and they are only their for a prejudgment of how good a player might be. Only playing with and against good players will show how good you really are. And the ones to decide that aren't your stats but your peers.
pretty sure i was right and W/L is all that matters...

It really is due to low player count. On a 64 man server you as a player you really can't control a game enough to truly care about your win/loss ratio.

Not saying PC is better competitively because they play mostly 4v4 to 12v12 for tournaments and leagues. But 64 man servers with 5-7 flags is more fun than 24 guys on big ass 3-4 flag maps.

so what you're saying is the PC version sucks?

the best thing about BC2 was Seks and i basically winning Rush games for the entire team, even with randoms against a stacked clan.

tn2007

Nah, don't want to name and shame. ;)

Was it me because I don't remember? Lol. I don't quit often maybe 15 games I've quit with 6 of them being because not enough players or people I'm playing with want to leave. I have not finish 93 rounds out of 2786 and most of them because my game froze (fuck you gulf of Oman prepatch). You can say if it's me though because I don't care if I'm shame and it's pretty funny if it is.

meppi

Was it me because I don't remember? Lol. I don't quit often maybe 15 games I've quit with 6 of them being because not enough players or people I'm playing with want to leave. I have not finish 93 rounds out of 2786 and most of them because my game froze (fuck you gulf of Oman prepatch). You can say if it's me though because I don't care if I'm shame and it's pretty funny if it is.

Nah, don't worry. It wasn't you. ;)

tn2007

so what you're saying is the PC version sucks?

the best thing about BC2 was Seks and i basically winning Rush games for the entire team, even with randoms against a stacked clan.

Lol no, PC is awesome and I wouldn't be playing it if it sucked. Both console and PC are awesome in its own way.

PC
+64 man servers
+3-7 flags
+key binding
+precise controls and less input lag
+graphic
+better server browser
- more stupid people due to 64 man servers
- no in game VOIP

CONSOLES
+in game VOIP
+more GAF members
+less stupid people due to 24 man servers
+jet pilots suck
+yelling at COD and Dave
-everything else is inferior

Nah, don't worry. It wasn't you. ;)

Damn that would of been hilarious.

JHall

I know this is random, but are any of you guys having trouble connecting to servers lately? Every time I join within 20 seconds it says I've lost connection to EA. Could it be something with the server maintenance tomorrow?

tn2007

But it sounded familiar

Do you remember the game on metro with me, you, hunting beast, and Dave vs that clan? We were down 400-500 tickets and capped out? We came all the way back to lose by less than 50 tickets? That was intense and so much fun. Probably the most fun I have ever had losing. Next game on siene we destroyed them by the way.

Lol no, PC is awesome and I wouldn't be playing it if it sucked. Both console and PC are awesome in its own way.

PC
+64 man servers
+3-7 flags
+key binding
+precise controls and less input lag
+graphic
+better server browser
- more stupid people due to 64 man servers
- no in game VOIP

CONSOLES
+in game VOIP
+more GAF members
+less stupid people due to 24 man servers
+jet pilots suck
+yelling at COD and Dave
-everything else is inferior

Damn that would of been hilarious.

On a 64 man server you as a player you really can't control a game enough to truly care about your win/loss ratio.
should be in - column then IMO

I generally don't like to have "skill" talks because it sometimes do boost people's ego/play style in the wrong way. The games where we lose to equal or lesser teams are often because of we choose to do the more "skillful" thing instead of the more logical thing. That or sometimes a particular skill just aren't as effective against certain teams (ex: sometimes recon tactics fail, sometimes you need C4 instead of rockets, all vehicles can't cap flag as fast as all-infantry, sometimes someone gotta do something else.), and people are unwilling to change it up because they're more comfortable with one thing over another. I hate to bring up vehicles again, but I want someone to say "oh we got 2 choppers up and 2 tanks, maybe I should stay on foot and cap flags", "3 engineers haven't been able to take out the tank - time to try c4", etc.

W/L, as boost-friendly as it is, is just a more important stat to talk about to me. Cause quite frankly, there's only so much each of us can do to get our skills up. However, as a "team" I think there are still much more room we can work on.

*ends serious mode*

Was it me because I don't remember? Lol. I don't quit often maybe 15 games I've quit with 6 of them being because not enough players or people I'm playing with want to leave. I have not finish 93 rounds out of 2786 and most of them because my game froze (fuck you gulf of Oman pre-patch). You can say if it's me though because I don't care if I'm shame and it's pretty funny if it is.

Won't be any of us, since Meppi is now one of the 360-hood.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Seriously... they released the wrong expansion first. I'm kinda bored of the game... we needed real maps.

tn2007

New Dogtags?
V4roq.jpg

Plus some (unconfirmed)info on the upcoming bonus drop:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654489906408242/

Trollface dogtag will be mine!!!!

JJD

Trollface dogtag will be mine!!!!

Thanks for posting this!

The assignments seem too easy. Dice can't really find the sweetspot.

Assignment 1:

Destroy 10 Tank Destroyers
Destroy 1 mobile Artillery

Assignment 2:

Get 15 Kills with the Tank Destroyer

Assignment 3:

Repair 20 friendly vehicles

Assignment 4:

Get 10 kills with mobile Artillery

Assignment 5:

Get 15 Kills with the AC-130

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Trollin' was completely possible with those alt routes that you showed me or we learned via doing from the enemy. BF3 doesn't really allow those alt routes anymore. Sure there's a few "cut through out of bounds" antics on some maps (like Oman Rush attack) but otherwise the maps are completely linear and too close to the bounds to allow for slipping by and trolling at times. :(

olimpia84

I know this is random, but are any of you guys having trouble connecting to servers lately? Every time I join within 20 seconds it says I've lost connection to EA. Could it be something with the server maintenance tomorrow?

It's most likely a problem with your ISP/router/modem

-Stranger-

About to jump online and purchase Premium, i can't wait for Armored Kill.
Hopefully i enjoy the Close Quarters maps in the meantime. It seems hardly anyone likes them from what I've heard.

TheSeks

Hopefully i enjoy the Close Quarters maps in the meantime. It seems hardly anyone likes them from what I've heard.

For good reason. Neat art style, terrible playing and designed maps. Needs to get back to Call of Duty and get the fuck off Battlefield. :|

JJD

Damn the battlelog forum post got taken down. And what do those assignments unlock anyways?

There's more assignments than those, but there was no mention of the unlocks. It's been said that the assignments are going to unlock new vehicle perks but we don't know if it's true.

-Stranger-

For good reason. Neat art style, terrible playing and designed maps. Needs to get back to Call of Duty and get the fuck off Battlefield. :|

I kinda see what you mean, i played some tdm on Scrap Metal & Zion Tower.
It was fun for awhile, but it got boring after an hour or so.
I suppose i do play Conquest 95% of the time.
Bring on Armored Kill!

meppi

my main problem with Conquest Assault is the same problem i had with Vietnam... not enough maps, so it gets stale after a few rounds...

Oops meant Domination as he mentioned the close quarters maps...
But yeah, that's certainly true. Variation certainly is a good thing. I feel like I might have enjoyed the game a lot more if we got all these DLC packs sooner...

Oops meant Domination as he mentioned the close quarters maps...
But yeah, that's certainly true. Variation certainly is a good thing. I feel like I might have enjoyed the game a lot more if we got all these DLC packs sooner...

hahah i meant domination too

i have no problems with CQ/CQA maps since they all rotate in one big happy family

except 3-flag versions of oman and sharqi. screw those!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just pre-ordered BF3 Premium Edition for PS3. Got it for $55 using NewEgg's $15 off code. Hope to see you all on the battlefield in a few weeks!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I need to get more handgun ribbons... I still don't have the medal. Which is weird, because if you combine all my kills from the M1911 variants (suppressed, tactical, etc) it's easily my best weapon (last time I checked) and yet no medal!?

I might just have to start running with that as primary and switching to the SMG or whatever for backup. I bet that would surprise some people... "he just spent his handgun, now I got 'em... oh shit what wtf!?"

jayb

I need to get more handgun ribbons... I still don't have the medal. Which is weird, because if you combine all my kills from the M1911 variants (suppressed, tactical, etc) it's easily my best weapon (last time I checked) and yet no medal!?

I might just have to start running with that as primary and switching to the SMG or whatever for backup. I bet that would surprise some people... "he just spent his handgun, now I got 'em... oh s*** what wtf!?"

You'll get them easily in Gun Master mode.

TheSeks

You need 4 handgun kills in a round. If you don't have the medal you're either 1) not doing 4 kills with the handgun in a round, obviously or 2) not doing it often enough to get the medal, obviously. :p

The M1911 is fine for the medal, you just need to count the kills and either use it as a primary or have four back-up weapon situations.

Top Bottom