• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Mahonay

Banned
Will I be missing any major multiplayer functionality by buying the regular version as opposed to the premium right now?

And how active is the Gaf 360 community?
Premium edition is definitely worth it. That's a ton of DLC that you would otherwise have to pay for. You would be missing a fairly large chunk of multiplayer maps.

To be honest, the only "essential" map pack currently is Back to Karkand. Although I also really love the Close Quarters maps as well.

From what I've seen in this thread, GAF 360 still seems plenty active.

Will I be missing any major multiplayer functionality by buying the regular version as opposed to the premium right now?

And how active is the Gaf 360 community?

you'll be missing half the map rotation... premium edition is supposed to be $30-40 on black friday at various retailers

360 GAF & Friends still plays... i'm just coming back from a month off with DOA5

Premium edition is definitely worth it. That's a ton of DLC that you would otherwise have to pay for. You would be missing a fairly large chunk of multiplayer maps.

To be honest, the only "essential" map pack currently is Back to Karkand. Although I also really love the Close Quarters maps as well.

From what I've seen in this thread, GAF 360 still seems plenty active.

Ah, so there's maps that I'd be missing. It's not like BFBC 2 where all the maps are available but just timed releases?

you'll be missing half the map rotation... premium edition is supposed to be $30-40 on black friday at various retailers

I don't think I could wait that long and not in the mood to bust doors at midnight, either.

Guess I'll just plunk down $60 :/

JJD

I don't think I could wait that long and not in the mood to bust doors at midnight, either.

Guess I'll just plunk down $60 :/

If you can just wait until black friday to grab the ultimate edition of the game. You already avoided the game for a little more than a full year...can't you handle 2 weeks?

It's all a matter of taste, but of the 3 Map packs they released only one (Back to Karkand) is really a must buy.

You will have no problem whatsoever finding games on the vanilla maps. They're still the most played by far, followed by Karkand.

There's another Map pack releasing early december on the 360, and the final one on March.

If you can wait you'll grab all the content way cheaper buying the ultimate edition of the game.

I love the game and bought premium on release day, but if I knew how the new maps were going to play I would just have bought Karkand separately and avoided the 2 others.

Out of more or less 400 hours of game time I doubt I have at least 20 hours on Close Quarters and specially Armored Kill altogether (the other 2 map packs).

yeah, these are actual new maps, modes, etc...

yeah, two weeks can be a long time.

If you can just wait until black friday to grab the ultimate edition of the game. You already avoided the game for a little more than a full year...can't you handle 2 weeks?

It's all a matter of taste, but of the 3 Map packs they released only one (Back to Karkand) is really a must buy.

You will have no problem whatsoever finding games on the vanilla maps. They're still the most played by far, followed by Karkand.

There's another Map pack releasing early december on the 360, and the final one on March.

If you can wait you'll grab all the content way cheaper buying the ultimate edition of the game.

I love the game and bought premium on release day, but if I knew how the new maps were going to play I would just have bought Karkand separately and avoided the 2 others.

Out of more or less 400 hours of game time I doubt I have at least 20 hours on Close Quarters and specially Armored Kill altogether.
Just got back from the store, I couldn't resist, lol.

Out of more or less 400 hours of game time I doubt I have at least 20 hours on Close Quarters and specially Armored Kill altogether (the other 2 map packs).

JJD you say that now, but you know that PS3 peeps play those maps all the time, and on 360 it's even moreso since we actually play on friends servers sometimes!

Just got back from the store, I couldn't resist, lol.

that was fast!

Maddocks

why does this game seriously match me up with japanese players who plug in their ace combat controllers and only fly around in jets and then camp our jets to steal them. so annoying.

I go into a server on the eastside of the US and the top 2 players are japanese. its like seriously, lagging the whole room.

why does this game seriously match me up with japanese players who plug in their ace combat controllers and only fly around in jets and then camp our jets to steal them. so annoying.

I go into a server on the eastside of the US and the top 2 players are japanese. its like seriously, lagging the whole room.

The solution is pretty simple: consoles need to display ping for players. I started a topic for it over at EA's Get Satisfaction web site, vote for it and comment if you think it's a good idea:

http://getsatisfaction.com/battlefi...tm_medium=email&utm_source=reply_notification

DICE have already moved it to the "Under Consideration" category because 132 people have voted for it, but the more votes and comments it gets the more likely it is to happen. They already display ping on PC servers so it's not a massive imposition on them to add it for consoles.

olimpia84

Sorry guys but I lost connection during that Kharg Island game and I couldn't reconnect right away...in fact I just got my internet back.

BoatAck

WTF?? I'm sort of glad my connection crapped out then. How in the world do you manage to go 1-20 being Colonel lvl 28??

Yeah, and that Kharg game you lost connection was just as bad. The game started out like 5 vs 12 and stayed that way the whole fucking round. The auto-balance pisses me off both ways, when we're trouncing people and when we are outnumbered with half our team pulling their puds.

That Caspian border game pissed me off too. That had to be one of the worst rounds I've been in. The other team was pretty average, but I don't think half of our team was playing the same game we were.

olimpia84

Yeah, and that Kharg game you lost connection was just as bad. The game started out like 5 vs 12 and stayed that way the whole fucking round. The auto-balance pisses me off both ways, when we're trouncing people and when we are outnumbered with half our team pulling their puds.

That Caspian border game pissed me off too. That had to be one of the worst rounds I've been in. The other team was pretty average, but I don't think half of our team was playing the same game we were.

I think two dudes that started in our team switched over when the round started...idiots. The funny thing is that the 5th guy in our team was a level 0 that just bought the game...talk about a great reinforcement!

Well, we got hosed.

You get lured by tanks too easily -_-

edit: you get lured by anything too easily, read the map and wait for enemies to come toward you or ignore them.
It's also a problem when people just leave the premise even though the map clearly shows people around -_-

Why can't anyone stay near the objective?
I should not see my squadmate so far up the attacker's base that I can't even spawn on him.

Tanks don't arm shit, people do.
(even further inexcusable on sets where the tanks have a hard time even getting near)

Also just drop a c4 on the m-com if you're support. You won't die from just dropping one off.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
JJD you say that now, but you know that PS3 peeps play those maps all the time, and on 360 it's even moreso since we actually play on friends servers sometimes!

Armored Kill isn't that bad, just needs to be tweaked. I don't really give a shit about "OMG NOT BUILT FOR CONSOLES" because it allows a bit more leeway than the other maps.

Close Shitters-Who the fuck is playing this?

Back to Karkand and Vanilla are all you need unless you want the achievements and weapons, really.

Armored Kill isn't that bad, just needs to be tweaked. I don't really give a shit about "OMG NOT BUILT FOR CONSOLES" because it allows a bit more leeway than the other maps.
I've been playing BFBC2 Rush the last week with a bunch of friends and the BFBC2 experience is so much better thanks to the map design. Consoles got severely FITA with BF3.

Close Shitters-Who the fuck is playing this?

Back to Karkand and Vanilla are all you need unless you want the achievements and weapons, really.

i played AK Rush recently and it was playable! CQ was always fine for me.

CQDM DOUBLE XP POINTS FACTORY NEXT WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B2K maps are solid all around.

also, after AK, i really think 4 flag Tehran and 5 flag Damavand would work out, and i'd really love to have 5 flag Noshahr!

I've been playing BFBC2 Rush the last week with a bunch of friends and the BFBC2 experience is so much better thanks to the map design. Consoles got severely FITA with BF3.

i miss all the BC1/BC2 map hijinks. BF3 is really lacking in that area...

i miss all the BC1/BC2 map hijinks. BF3 is really lacking in that area...
That's definitely a part of it.

Speaking of which, DICE took down all of the Aussie BFBC2 servers so I'm back to playing on US ones. I'll send you a friend request in case you're on PS3 BFBC2 again and playing into the early hours of the morning :)

JJD

also, after AK, i really think 4 flag Tehran and 5 flag Damavand would work out, and i'd really love to have 5 flag Noshahr!

I said before that 4 flag Noshahr could work on consoles. Take one tank from the russians and make it spawn on that little base under the highway on the left side of the map (from the russians base perspective, there's a flag there on PC).

That flag would be kinda far from the other ones and still far away from the US base for infantry but accessible from choppers, and if you want to take the long way around the Amtrack/LAV can flank it form the far left side of the map.

That would be the most important flag in the map since it would give the americans the opportunity to prevent one russian tank to spawn if it was conquered.

It would make the russians have to defend it the whole game thus making the other flags more vulnerable. As it is right now all the flags have the same value for the russians, they don't have to prioritize one, they can just camp in the harbor shooting the carrier.

As it is right now with two perfectly even teams I don't think the US has a reasonable chance of winning. They would lose in the worst case at least 6, probably 7 out of 10 games. Locking the americans on the carrier is too easy.

How many times GAF has played a Noshahr game were our squad get the ace pin by far but our team still loses because the rest of the randoms can't keep up if we spawn on the US side?

And when we're finally having good, competitive games as soon as Noshahr appears on the loading screen everyone is like:

"Damn I hope we're on the russians side!" Lol!

I wish Dice gave us some variations of the current maps...how hard can it be to tweak then a little? They changed some of the maps a bit on BC2 based on players input but they have done nothing of the sort on BF3...

Dave1988

Has this been posted yet?

It's taken from /vg/ so take it with a grain of salt but...

Apparently less than 10 people at DICE are still working on the remaining expansions for BF3. The rest of DICE has been reassigned to work on BF4.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh, how I wish I could quote that image.

"They said they wouldn't use metacritic anymore and then proceeded to use it for all the games they called out in that investment call" is hilarious and totally EA.

"2m out of 18m actually bought DLC for BF3."

This is what happens when you charge for weapons and the maps completely suck (sup, Close Shitters), EA. Let this be a lesson and you provide FREE content updates... like you know... you're supposed to do if 2012 was a repeat of 2002. *rocking chair*

"Facebook was losing money."

Well, that's because they keep making Sims Social and the like a total grind to where you have to PAY just to continue to play. Why the fuck would anyone play those?

"That number is grossly inflated. Anyone that bought an EA game with an online pass has been upgraded to an Origin account."

Well, duh, /v/.

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if 10 people were working on BF3's last two "content" updates. They only need an artist for the textures, coder for the engine, level designer to imagine the maps, and then maybe devise some assignment/unlock requirements for the weapons they may/may not include in the expansion and ship it. The engine and assests (most of the assets they can use anyway) are already there.

Biggest thing that pisses me off is that they won't further balance tweak BF3 when it has some glaring balance issues.

Apparently less than 10 people at DICE are still working on the remaining expansions for BF3. The rest of DICE has been reassigned to work on BF4.

Transcript of the earnings call doesn't mention anything regarding the teams. They state they can't comment much about it, but they're focused on the next Battlefield.

JJD

I believe that. BF4 is releasing next year. I bet the heavy work on aftermath is almost complete too.

Saw the funniest custom server rule today...

"No camping or you're getting kicked.

Except if you're a sniper."

LOL!

Anyone knows how to report someone on PSN? I played with a guy with the most disgusting PSN name.

The last two expansions are probably almost done (Aftermath is surely finished). The 10 people left are putting the finishing touches on End Game, makes sense.

It was Nigr_Slayer. English isn't my first language so maybe I'm misunderstanding his PSN name.

Good games todays guys, thankfully THN and KahrMatri joined since our team couldn't do shit. Even then we won 13 out of 15 games! Not bad!

I even got some hate mail from this game! Lol!

The guy that sent it is the one with 1 kill and 8 deaths, LOL!
oh wow. yeah, you understood him. it's so easy to report stuff on XBL, you can do it right from viewing their profile. dunno how that works on PS3 though...

edit: found it! http://np.us.playstation.com/

those are the best wins... gotta be SO MUCH SALT on the other team.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I miss playing with you dudes, but I don't miss BF3 at all...

We should set up a BFBC2 night soon.

olimpia84

Fuck, those were some tough games today but mainly because our teammates sucked. I'm trying to decide who is worse, ACES or cWa

Top Bottom