• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I've been playing BFBC2 Rush the last week with a bunch of friends and the BFBC2 experience is so much better thanks to the map design. Consoles got severely FITA with BF3.

I wouldn't exactly say that. I think the issue with BF3's maps in general (and I'm talking Rush here, can't care about babby's first objective mode since it's 3-4 flags on consoles which already shoots itself in the kneecaps out of the gate) is the lack of flanking routes or routes that the attackers have the ability to get to but the defense can't. Or routes that you think be able to be out of bounded but can't (Seine attack left side-flanking can't do that unless you time your sprint through out of bounds and break a few windows to do it).

Whereas BC2 Rush had a bit more open and a bit more liberal use in being able to out of bound antic and flank.

Then there's questionable design decisions on some of the maps: There's no reason the attackers shouldn't be able to go up to street-level in Metro and have the ability to come near the objectives while having the high-ground while the defense would have the high-ground from the Metro bottom in third set.

Armored Kill gets around this issue by being extremely HUGE but the issue with being extremely HUGE on consoles is pop-in and too few players (the one time 64 players on a map would populate it a bit) with very little cover to let players be able to stealth and flank. It opens up sniper possibilities which is nice as Sniper-Recon was gimped in most of BF3's maps but there's very little protection from snipers in most of Armored Kills maps outside of counter-sniping which breaks Rush.

tn2007

Good games tonight. Thank god JJD, Dan, and skeleton came to our rescue because Olimpia and I always get the loser team on our side.

Vietnam was awesome. How active is bfbc2 still?
It's rare to see full 24 player games, usually it's around 16 - 20 players. Then again all Aussie servers were switched off so I'm playing on North American servers well outside of their prime time.

Vietnam is empty though; the only proper games I've been able to have on that are the ones that were filled up entirely by the social gaming clan I'm in (luckily it's a big one).

Whereas BC2 Rush had a bit more open and a bit more liberal use in being able to out of bound antic and flank.
There were indeed numerous flanking routes on nearly all of them, which was the good map design I was talking about. They were designed with the consoles in mind and it really shows in the final product.

TheSeks

There were indeed numerous flanking routes on nearly all of them, which was the good map design I was talking about. They were designed with the consoles in mind and it really shows in the final product.

It has nothing to do with whichever platform (Console vs PC) in mind, it has more to do with the mode in mind. BC1/2 were designed around Rush. BF3 was designed around multi-flag Conquest. The issue with conquest on consoles is too few flags for "movement" because they fear too many players not being near flags/action (but counter point is: 1943 had 5 flags and did just FINE with the same player amount).

The issue with Rush is that it was never designed in terms of maps. It's like (as much as I would enjoy seeing DICE make it) making Panama Canal a Rush map. Simply not possible with the current constraints on PC OR Consoles.

It has nothing to do with whichever platform (Console vs PC) in mind, it has more to do with the mode in mind. BC1/2 were designed around Rush. BF3 was designed around multi-flag Conquest. The issue with conquest on consoles is too few flags for "movement" because they fear too many players not being near flags/action (but counter point is: 1943 had 5 flags and did just FINE with the same player amount).

The issue with Rush is that it was never designed in terms of maps. It's like (as much as I would enjoy seeing DICE make it) making Panama Canal a Rush map. Simply not possible with the current constraints on PC OR Consoles.

i could make Panama Canal an AWESOME Rush map.

TheSeks

I guess that's my point, I see Rush as synonymous with the consoles since it was brought in specifically for them and to make Battlefield work for 24 players. In BFBC2 I play 95% Rush.

The former, not really. It was more "we don't think console players will understand/like Conquest mode" (which is WTF since they did BF2:Modern Combat that was nothing BUT Conquest) so they built Rush so players would understand "you go here to attack/defend the objective and only here" on consoles/easier learning curve.

The later: I can't say. When they added five flag no-uncaps to BC1, Conquest worked pretty damn well with the 24 player count, so it really can't be that. But who knows.

The point is: DICE rushed the maps and didn't think of doing/loading a Rush variant in the game and it shows. I think Seine and Bazaar could work okay as Rush maps with certain buildings and routes being changed as an addition/removed and maybe elongating the map to where it isn't a U turn completely on the map.

Faceless said:

Well, yes and no. If you used the current Conquest map and only the current Conquest map, no it wouldn't work too well. You could stick the crates in there and it'd work but gameplay/balance it wouldn't work too hot. But DICE had these huge maps with a bunch of untextured space they could simply move out of bounds around and have them work with some out of bounds including the Conquest variant as well for the crates.

It's like... White Pass Conquest being set 2-3 in Rush while Team Deathmatch was last set. Pretty lazy, but easy to move the out of bounds.

In Panama Canal's case, moving last set to RU/US attack would be lazy and in the case of RU(?) the defense would have a high-ground advantage with that small hill if DICE gave them vehicles. But on the converse if DICE gave the attackers vehicles they could push up pretty easy. It's why moving or expanding the map would need to be done in that case to add some vehicle play while not having it like Operation Hastings in BC2: Vietnam Rush where it was BAM BAM BAM BAM over the hill placements that could end rounds in minutes.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

That map would be amazing for rush. What I'd do is create my layout and then watch players like you find a way to break it. Then I would revise. After a dozen or so iterations like that it would be awesome.

Lakitu

st5fu
no shotguns, no stingers/igla, no stealing enemy/abandoned vehicles, no flying over enemy base.

DICE!@!#_@#@_*$#*(^#$#

I see no shotgun and no stinger / igla rules every other game now. Been kicked / banned too many times because I'm using spas-12 with slugs. Love popping headshots from medium distances :) Although it's nearly every day now where some butt hurt admin is kicking or banning me. Yesterday on Firestorm conquest, I beat the admins in a helicopter battle with my viper, then killed a bunch of their clan, shot down their Kasatka and they were all stranded in the far side of the map so I had some fun only to be kicked by an admin in the middle of all of it. Shame most admins can dish it out but can't take it when they get it back. Most of the servers I used to frequent are no longer active, guess I'll stick to mostly DICE servers now.

I've been using a lot of the KH2002 recently, the gun's a beast. It's also probably the best weapon in the game that utilizes the suppressor. I'd say I probably prefer it over the AN-94.

I see no shotgun and no stinger / igla rules every other game now. Been kicked / banned too many times because I'm using spas-12 with slugs. Love popping headshots from medium distances :) Although it's nearly every day now where some butt hurt admin is kicking or banning me. Yesterday on Firestorm conquest, I beat the admins in a helicopter battle with my viper, then killed a bunch of their clan, shot down their Kasatka and they were all stranded in the far side of the map so I had some fun only to be kicked by an admin in the middle of all of it. Shame most admins can dish it out but can't take it when they get it back. Most of the servers I used to frequent are no longer active, guess I'll stick to mostly DICE servers now.

I've been using a lot of the KH2002 recently, the gun's a beast. It's also probably the best weapon in the game that utilizes the suppressor. I'd say I probably prefer it over the AN-94.

yesterday i was joining kharg rush games in the hopes of being on the defense and getting in the jet to get some helicopter kills for the assicnment. in THREE DIFFERENT SERVERS, after killing the enemy jet and helicopter 1-2 times, the admins switched me to their side.

DICE!!

i also got kicked once.

Evolved1

BF3 Premium Edition is going for $30 over Black Friday. Very tempted to jump in. Is the game still active on PS3?

Thousands and thousands of players still on at any given time... they haven't realized yet that lock-on guided everything to kill everything and anything has made the game unfun.

The most enjoyable BF3 maps are those without many vehicles and it hurts me deep in my soul to admit this.

Close Quarters was better than Armored Kill. It was physically painful to type that.

The best maps in BF3 are B2K maps, but the larger B2K maps like Wake, etc... still have the issue with noob-machines that repair themselves and auto targeted homing deathshots of cheese so thick it drowns all the fun out.

But I hear there's a crossbow now! PREMIUM!

this will be my last bitchy post about bf3, had to get the last of it out of my system.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Thousands and thousands of players still on at any given time... they haven't realized yet that lock-on guided everything to kill everything and anything has made the game unfun.

The most enjoyable BF3 maps are those without many vehicles and it hurts me deep in my soul to admit this.

Close Quarters was better than Armored Kill. It was physically painful to type that.

The best maps in BF3 are B2K maps, but the larger B2K maps like Wake, etc... still have the issue with noob-machines that repair themselves and auto targeted homing deathshots of cheese so thick it drowns all the fun out.

this will be my last bitchy post about bf3, had to get the last of it out of my system.

CQ better than AK? It used to be until they semi-fixed RUSH

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Haha oh man, not sure what to think anymore. I'm deciding between BF3 Premium Edition and BLOPS 2, but I have a week or so to make my decision. On the other hand I did just download BF 1942 for free from Origin, so maybe I'll just play that instead?

Evolved1

Haha oh man, not sure what to think anymore. I'm deciding between BF3 Premium Edition and BLOPS 2, but I have a week or so to make my decision. On the other hand I did just download BF 1942 for free from Origin, so maybe I'll just play that instead?

Even on its worst day I prefer BF3 to any CoD (even WWII). Yeah I have a bit of an axe to grind with BF3, but I played it for a few hundred hours and had a mostly good time. It is not a bad game, just one that doesn't really do it for me after the stellar BFBC2.

I don't like CoD at all really. Some things about the game are pretty cool I guess, but I don't enjoy the twitch-style of gameplay and their system that is basically designed to unbalance matches, severely punish new players while simultaneously buffing the vets with all sorts of rewards and freekill helicopters/turrets/whatever. That stuff is in CoD's DNA, and millions of people like it, but I personally do not. Even with BF3's new emphasis on lock-on laser guided targeting, it's still nowhere near the CoD killstreak gameplay.

As for BF1942 I honestly don't know how it holds up these days... was pretty awesome at the time though.

I don't know that my opinion will do much for you... we probably have different tastes. I'd recommend watching some BF3 youtube matches (there are some great videos) those things almost make me want to redownload BF3 haha.

Millions of people bought and love BF3 and it's a pretty incredible game in a lot of ways, but some of the fundamental mechanics just do not resonate with me. The emphasis on these new weapons systems, addition of jets, flashlights and other annoying shit, for example, I think hurt the experience, but millions of people love all of that, so it is what it is.

even before they fixed rush that was still crazy talk.

Lol... Armored Kill made me quit battlefield, so maybe it's crazy talk and I'm crazy, or maybe it was just the straw that broke the camel's back... either way it left a really sour
grapes
taste in my mouth. And I personally rank it lower than CC.

TheSeks

As for BF1942 I honestly don't know how it holds up these days... was pretty awesome at the time though.

So go download it with Origin. It's free, there's no excuse outside of "BAWWW ORIGIN!" crying from PC fanboys.

Lol... Armored Kill made me quit battlefield, so maybe it's crazy talk and I'm crazy, or maybe it was just the straw that broke the camel's back... either way it left a really sour
grapes

I'll tell you: You're crazy. Armored Kill even with the broke-ass Rush mode with the gunship was still a lot more fun and less hectic/Call of Duty than Close Shitters.

The maps are better art-styled (esp. on consoles DAT POP-IN) in CS, but AK's gameplay has it beat. Vehicle gameplay, ability to flank (most of the time, you can't swim in the ocean of that Mountain Map... probably due to the cold like Port Valadez?), and no PEW PEW PEW DIE PEW PEW DIE PEW DIE PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW DIE going on.

JJD

grapes

I prefer CC over AK too.

Unfortunately most gaffers don't so I usually play CC alone. Had a couple of fun games some time ago with Olimpia, Dream and THN!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I don't enjoy the twitch-style of gameplay and their system that is basically designed to unbalance matches, severely punish new players while simultaneously buffing the vets with all sorts of rewards and freekill helicopters/turrets/whatever. That stuff is in CoD's DNA, and millions of people like it, but I personally do not. Even with BF3's new emphasis on lock-on laser guided targeting, it's still nowhere near the CoD killstreak gameplay.

Yeah that's the stuff that really pisses me off about COD, which is why I wanna try BF3. I mean it's only $30 so I may very well take the jump, but I'll watch a few videos like you suggest and see how I feel about it. What are some good YouTubers to watch for BF3?

JJD

Yeah that's the stuff that really pisses me off about COD, which is why I wanna try BF3. I mean it's only $30 so I may very well take the jump, but I'll watch a few videos like you suggest and see how I feel about it. What are some good YouTubers to watch for BF3?

LvlCap, rivalXfactor, MongolFPS, Matimio, Intheworksmedia, Jackfrags, FrankieonPC and iPwnstar4hire are some of the most popular BF3 players, they post some really good videos but they all play the PC version. Still you can get a good idea of the game, just remember that there's less players playing on console BF3.

The only youtuber that plays on consoles that I watch sometimes is shustybang, but they seem to be playing other stuff now. Just search their channel and you'll see a lot of PS3 BF3 videos.

Fonz72

grapes

CQ made me quit and Armored Kill has been unable to draw me back. I've given it several tries and the magic is just gone...................I've got a little hope left for Aftermath and Endgame...........we'll see how it goes.
I was diehard Battlefield too, and I actually feel like I burned people by talking them into getting premium. They need to adjust the game back to the stats and feeling of the first big patch (remember when a tank could kill infantry?)and then just leave it be.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
LvlCap, rivalXfactor, MongolFPS, Matimio, Intheworksmedia, Jackfrags, FrankieonPC and iPwnstar4hire are some of the most popular BF3 players, they post some really good videos but they all play the PC version. Still you can get a good idea of the game, just remember that there's less players playing on console BF3.

The only youtuber that plays on consoles that I watch sometimes is shustybang, but they seem to be playing other stuff now. Just search their channel and you'll see a lot of PS3 BF3 videos.

Thanks I'll check them out. I know rivalXfactor, I've seen a few of his videos and they seemed like fun. I rented Black Ops 2 this weekend and I'm really not enjoying the MP in this one.

this assignment has me flying choppers again, and i gotta say that now it's super rewarding to me mainly because it feels so good when you manage to last almost a whole game even though the deck is stacked against you.

olimpia84

Last week I ran into two different servers with a "no colonel level 80 or above otherwise straight ban" rule. It's becoming rather common it seems.

TheSeks

Last week I ran into two different servers with a "no colonel level 80 or above otherwise straight ban" rule. It's becoming rather common it seems.

I really can't blame them, either most colonels are boosters or really good/long-time players at this point. Not everyone wants your steamrolling. :p

Anyway: Does anyone have Portal 2 PS3 and can help me with hugs? Apparently the two hugs I already had didn't count so I have to redo them. :/

@Faceless: The no shotguns, C4 on vehicles, and kamikaze is pants-on-head stupid (of course, I can understand the last one since there's no penalty in general for doing that to the rammer), everything else is pretty reasonable.

I really can't blame them, either most colonels are boosters or really good/long-time players at this point. Not everyone wants your steamrolling. :p

Anyway: Does anyone have Portal 2 PS3 and can help me with hugs? Apparently the two hugs I already had didn't count so I have to redo them. :/

@Faceless: The no shotguns, C4 on vehicles, and kamikaze is pants-on-head stupid (of course, I can understand the last one since there's no penalty in general for doing that to the rammer), everything else is pretty reasonable.
they're all all stupid rules. any why you no like m320?

Kak.efes

Gonna have some free time headin' into the holidays, so I'll figure to be on more. How are things holding up on the PS3 side of things? I'm looking forward to Aftermath.

Nearly two weeks in and I have to find out that you can steady an aimed sniper rifle from a loading screen tip that's only now decided to reveal itself? Why have onscreen hints/button commands if you're not going to use them on what I think would be a pretty gosh darn important piece of advice?

At first I thought it was just the crappy default rifle. Maybe it was semi-auto rifles or the scopes, or I need to be prone with a bipod equipped. Then I figured this is just how it is and dealt with it.

This game. Jeez Louise this game.

jayb

Nearly two weeks in and I have to find out that you can steady an aimed sniper rifle from a loading screen tip that's only now decided to reveal itself? Why have onscreen hints/button commands if you're not going to use them on what I think would be a pretty d*** important piece of advice?

At first I thought it was just the crappy default rifle. Maybe it was semi-auto rifles or the scopes, or I need to be prone with a bipod equipped. Then I figured this is just how it is and dealt with it.

This game. Jesus this game.

or you could have read the manual first. ;)

JJD

Assignments are up on BL but still locked:

Dogtags:

Battlescars

Get 25 knife kills 0 / 25
Get 50 kills with the SCAR-H 0 / 50
Get 50 kills with the SCAR-L 0 / 50

Fire in the Hole!

Destroy 20 pieces of enemy equipment with the M67 grenade 0 / 20
Get 50 kills with the AT launchers 0 / 50

Combat Medic

Revive 100 team mates 0 / 100
Revive 100 squad mates 0 / 100
Get 200 team heals 0 / 200
Get 200 squad heals 0 / 200

Rambo

Get 20 kills in one round 0 / 1
Get 10 kills without dying 0 / 1
Get 5 multi-kills 0 / 5

Silent Hunter

Get 50 kills with silenced MP443 0 / 50
Get 100 kills with the AS-VAL 0 / 100

No sign of the troll dogtag yet! Lol!

Aftermath specific assignments are all related to the Xbow and bolts unlocks and even more dog tags.

Archery 101

Get 5 Xbow kills 0 / 5
REWARDS
OLD SCHOOL (dog tag)

William Tell

Total of 150 meters headshots with the xbow 0 / 150
Get 50 kills with xbow 0 / 50
REWARDS
WILLIAM TELL (dogtag)

Sticks and Stones

Win 3 rounds in Scavenger 0 / 3
REWARDS
XBOW (weapon)

It is ok to thank me

Get 20 spot assists 0 / 20
Designate 10 vehicles 0 / 10
Get 1 designated assist 0 / 1
REWARDS
SCAN BOLT

This is my boom stick

Get 50 carbine kills 0 / 50
Get 50 assault rifle kills 0 / 50
REWARDS
SQUEEZING THE TRIGGER (dogtag)

Stay away from my tent

Get 50 kills with sniper rifles 0 / 50
Get 10 headshot kills with sidearm 0 / 10
REWARDS
BALANCED BOLT

Go play Close Quarters

Total of 150 meters headshots with sniper rifles 0 / 150
Total of 150 meters headshots with assault rifles 0 / 150
Total of 150 meters headshots with carbines 0 / 150
REWARDS
XBOW SCOPED

(This will probably be troublesome...150 headshots with carbines at 150 meters??? WTF Dice...that's fucking looooooong range for assault rifles and even worse for carbines!
It's the only way to get a xbow with high magnification).

A good demo man

Get 5 kills with hand grenades 0 / 5
Get 5 kills with underslung grenades 0 / 5
Get 5 kills with C4 0 / 5
REWARDS
HE BOLT

Riding shotgun

Get 5 kills in the modified Humvee 0 / 5
Get 5 kills in the modified Vodnik 0 / 5
Get 5 kills in the Van 0 / 5
REWARDS
GREASE MONKEY (dogtag)

On top of the richter scale

Play 1 hour of Epicenter 0m 0s / 1h 0m
Play 1 hour of Markaz Monolith 0m 0s / 1h 0m
Play 1 hour of Talah Market 0m 0s / 1h 0m
Play 1 hour of Azadi Palace 0m 0s / 1h 0m
Pick up 200 weapons in Scavenger 0 / 200
REWARDS
QUAKE SURVIVOR (dogtag)

The only unlocks for the bow are the bolts, and I guess it's pretty safe to say it will be available on all maps.

There are no weapon cammos on this DLC.

or you could have read the manual first. ;)

lol

I'm afraid I never made it past the Medal of Honor: War Fighter promo material in that comprehensive manual. To be honest, I had to use the in-game manual to learn how to go prone which I couldn't for the life of me figure out. I even played a little campaign mode before I ever went multiplayer to get a feel for things. I did everything the right way and this is the thanks I get.

I noticed you censored my colorful language but omitted the part where I took the name of our lord and savior in vain. I think it's time you read the manual, the instruction manual of life ;)

Keeping the thread family friendly for an M-rated game doesn't seem to make sense to me but fudge it, I'll play along.

jayb

lol

I'm afraid I never made it past the Medal of Honor: War Fighter promo material in that comprehensive manual. To be honest, I had to use the in-game manual to learn how to go prone which I couldn't for the life of me figure out. I even played a little campaign mode before I ever went multiplayer to get a feel for things. I did everything the right way and this is the thanks I get.

I noticed you censored my colorful language but omitted the part where I took the name of our lord and savior in vain. I think it's time you read the manual, the instruction manual of life ;)

Keeping the thread family friendly for an M-rated game doesn't seem to make sense to me but fudge it, I'll play along.

ha, that was from a Chrome profanity auto-filter extension I use when browsing from work.

-Silver-

Battlelog is saying that some of you guys have access to aftermath, is that right? What's it like?

Also, fuck that five multikills requirement.

Top Bottom