• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

U2NUMB

Is this game n00b friendly? I've never played Battlefield before. It should arrive by day's end.

No it is not.. there are about 100x things to take in over say a COD or even Halo. BUT.. once you learn just how much you can do and how you can play the game the way you want to it should click.

But expect a massive learning curve.

jayb

Is this game n00b friendly? I've never played Battlefield before. It should arrive by day's end.

it shouldn't be too bad to pick up if you've played FPS games before IMO. just stick near your teammates and communicate. maybe hold off on learning how to fly jets and choppers until later. read up on how to play the objectives.

sure there's a learning curve, but I don't think it's a 'massive' one.

Watch this. It's from the previous game but it has the same basic stuff. There are a few differences but you will quickly notice them. I tell everyone to run the campaign or coop to get the feel for the game but you don't have to.

JJD

There are a lot of things to learn, but frankly it's all quite easy. If you're dedicated you will learn the basics with 2 days tops. By the way the basics doesn't include piloting air vehicles unfortunately! :-D

Of course since people have been playing for more than a year a lot of players know the maps like the back of their hands and the better strategies when approaching the objectives. This is something that will take more time to learn. Just add some people to your friendlist and pay attention to whatever the good players are doing. Learn the maps, flank the enemies basically.

If you're familiar with FPS games I doubt you will have any trouble.

Don't worry about unlocking guns. The best ones are early unlocks on probably all the classes like the M4A1 for engineers and the M16A3 for assaults. Just find a gun you like and stick with it until you unlock a good optic sight. You usually do that at around 50 kills with any gun.

Just play the objective (except on deathmatch game modes), pay attention to the mini map and spot enemies with the select button on the PS3 or the back button with the 360. This will bring an orange triangle over the enemy visible to anyone on your team and on the mini map. This is EXTREMELY useful.

Finally learn what the gadgets of every class do and when you should use then (med pack, ammo pack, spawn beacon, motion sensor, MAV, defibs, C4, claymores etc.).

Trust me, it's not that difficult. Most people playing the game wrong do it because they never bothered to play it right, not because they can't do it 'cause it's too hard.

Nizz

Wow, just tried the controls after this patch and what a world of difference (I grabbed BF3 Premium Edition for $25, Black Friday). Before in modes like Gun Game or TDM if someone suddenly appeared and I spun around to kill them because of the bad acceleration/input lag I would either swing too far to the right or left.

Now if I turn on someone the stick goes where I want it to. No more swinging too much in either direction. I really wish DICE would have gotten the controls to this point sooner but nevertheless they feel a lot better.

jayb

yeah, close quarters is more fun to play now with the improved controller response. Input lag feels soooo much better now.

good job dice.

Lakitu

st5fu
I was never into competitive online FPS gaming before. Then I played the BF 3 beta and one year later I've put in hundreds of hours into it. I'm glad I did because it's my most enjoyable game and is what I play 90% of the time. It's rewarding after you really learn the maps, tactics and which weapons you feel comfortable with. I'm still learning aswell, I'm so shitty at jets (probably the only thing I won't get better at) and only now I realised you could laser designate in the cockpit of a scout helicopter. Derp.

U2NUMB

If you live in the US you can get the DLC in the PSN store.. follow these directions I found.. I am downloading right now.

"I live in the US and I found Aftermath in the store. You have to go to games then scroll down to ps3 add on then go to new add on then sort by release date: oldest first. It was the first thing that popped up for me. Hope this helps. Let me know."

Comes up as Free.. assuming because I am premium.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If you live in the US you can get the DLC in the PSN store.. follow these directions I found.. I am downloading right now.

"I live in the US and I found Aftermath in the store. You have to go to games then scroll down to ps3 add on then go to new add on then sort by release date: oldest first. It was the first thing that popped up for me. Hope this helps. Let me know."

Thank you, found it. :)

Lakitu

st5fu
Crap stream :/

Yeah it is, he's not using the Xbow and showcasing some of the newer stuff but I don't mind it just to see the new maps. Talah Market looks a hell of a lot more fun as an infantry map than say Grand Bazaar and Seine Crossing. Lots of vertical combat and dense environments. Looks great.

JJD

WTF...played a single game with the new patch and I didn't like it. The game feels heavier, more sluggish than before. I still had a good game, but it will take awhile for me to adapt to the new controls.

Maybe the problem is my old plasma TV? I've been playing with it since my top of the line fucking Samsung broke on me with less than a year of use (I'll never buy anything from then again). People are saying that SD Tvs are fucked, maybe old HD Tvs are too. My old panny is one of the weird ones with 768P resolution. One thing is for sure, the control feels nothing like BC2 to me, and is actually quite a bit worse than before IMO. :-(

Vertical recoil kicks like a fucking mule on the M416...I don't think I'll keep using it. Back to the M16A3 I guess?

Thanks for the heads up man! Downloading now.

The new PSN store is a fucking joke. Everything is so slow now. If you try to search for the DLC it still won't show up even when it's already available on the Add on page. What a stupid store front.

sweeeet, downloading!

JJD

AEK and never look back.

I use it for some maps and for Close Quarters. It's the best gun for short range, but it's only average mid range and weak for long range engagements. Except if you have godly aim! Mine it's just normal. I still prefer the M16A3 since it's overall more well rounded.

Did they change anything in the AEK in this patch?

Evolved1

this game controls well now... I had a game where I was just wrecking people BC2 style... feels good man.

I use it for some maps and for Close Quarters. It's the best gun for short range, but it's only average mid range and weak for long range engagements. Except if you have godly aim! Mine it's just normal. I still prefer the M16A3 since it's overall more well rounded.

It's been working great for me with mid range encounters, long can get annoying at times.

Did they change anything in the AEK in this patch?

None according to the patch notes.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

It's free for everyone it's just premium can play it immediately while the other I guess have to buy an unlock code

jayb

has the Gun Master Winner ribbon requirement always been to just get in the top 5? or did today's the patch change that?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Downloading the new levels now. I think PSN and Nintendo Network are competing to see who has the slowest service.

Nintendo, easily.

lol @ taking 5 gigs of space on a 25 gig hard-drive. Who thought that was a good idea?

So, they improved the controls? I really should download the gig update tonight and (hopefully) have a good connection tomorrow morning to see.

How is Aftermath? More specifically is it EVERYDAY I'M TROLLIN' with the crossbow.

Evolved1

Nintendo, easily.

lol @ taking 5 gigs of space on a 25 gig hard-drive. Who thought that was a good idea?

So, they improved the controls? I really should download the gig update tonight and (hopefully) have a good connection tomorrow morning to see.

How is Aftermath? More specifically is it EVERYDAY I'M TROLLIN' with the crossbow.

imo: AM maps are pretty fantastic. Crossbow is overpowered and dumb.

Scavenger mode is quite fun. Unlike gunmaster it seems well thought out and balanced (except a really wonky random spawn system when you use it, especially the very first spawn of the game is often quite retarded.)

Top Bottom