• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
this game controls well now... I had a game where I was just wrecking people BC2 style... feels good man.
Same here.

Really surprised that it took over a year to fix it. Hardest bug ever?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My patch download keeps failing between 50 and 89% every time. I've checked my router, modem, and everything but I just keep having to restart. I want to play :(

Even worse is, since it's a patch, I can't play other games at the same time.

olimpia84

I'm liking the Aftermath levels a lot (Conquest obviously, haven't tried the other game modes). It's very similar to Back to Karkand, perhaps in a bit smaller scale. Controls now feel more like BC2 which is not a bad thing but I have to get used to them.

After a few hours of Aftermath Conquest, I think that the maps are very good. Very detailed (lots of indoor zones) and THANK GOD lots of flanking routes. For now a very good impression (I have to try Rush). Also played two rounds of Scavenger and.. its weird. I don't know, I liked the concept when I heard it but I have to play more. For now I like more Gun Master.
I didn't unlock the crossbow, but I got one in Scavenger and its a curious weapon, basically a 1shot-kill near and medium range, with long reload time. I want to try a Recon shotgun/crossbow :D. And about the controls, even before the 1st patch I didn't mind the input lag, but its true that the game feels now very tight.

Seanspeed

Banned
What does this mean:

XBOX 360 SPECIFIC INFO
Patch goes live: November 27
How to download patch once it is live: When starting the game, you will get a popup notifying you that Multiplayer Update 5 is available. It is not mandatory to accept this, but we advise you to do so. Otherwise, you can find Multiplayer Update 5 both on Xbox Live Marketplace and in our in-game store as a manual download.

???

I dont need to download the patch? Or are they saying I dont have to do it right then and there?

Also, my friend recently picked up the game and without any DLC, all he needed was to download Multiplayer Update 4, which was like 1.44GB and he was good to go. I realize previous updates included DLC content, but I haven't gotten Armored Kill yet had to download the 'patch' that included all its content still. Can I delete that and just download Update 5? Does everything get overwritten or something? Basically, is it possible to get rid of the Armored Kill content on my harddrive and still have the latest patch so I can continue to play?

Seriously, the way they've handled this is crap. I like playing on consoles to avoid annoying stuff like this.

Aftermath looks awesome, though. Definitely looks more my style, as a good balance between infantry and vehicular combat. If I can somehow get rid of the Armored Kill content on my harddrive(which I never bought), I'll be able to get Aftermath, otherwise I'm just plain out of room.

Kak.efes

The new maps look great, but play like shit (I might just be rusty, but I don't know). Conquest was alright, but there are too many flanking routes, and I found myself getting killed in areas I thought I already cleared. Haven't tried rush yet. Scavenger is the worst mode in the game.

No_Style

Played a couple of matches with the new patch. I don't know if it's the patch or whatever, but I was able to transition from BLOPS2 to BF3 with little to no adjustment period.

Is it just me or are there a lot of good new players now? Teamwork & competency with weapons are way up while some of the higher level players are still trapped in their own little sniping world.

xclaw

Scavenger is pretty bad. Sounds good on paper but it doesn't suit the game. Would be better if the weapons would be static spawns so you can run to where the good stuff is instead of a shotgun spawning in the same spot as the P90 you just picked up. I could just not be used to it or have played enough rounds but after an hour I was done with this mode.

Conquest is nice, alot of more flanking routes. Not so good for the lone wolf types as you'll clear an area and then turn around to find a full squad gunning at you.

The aftershock effect needs to go, all it does that I can tell is make everything shake and not in any impressive manner.

vixlar

So, aftershock doesn't affect the map? (destroy buildings or roads, open new paths, close others) if so, I feel a little disapointed.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Just started playing this on PS3. Kicked a lot of ass in just 2 hours. Reminds me of Bad Company 2 a lot.

Is there a list I when things at unlocked?

YoungHav

Banned
Liking the Aftermath maps a lot. I tend to find all the new DLC modes quirky though. Gun Master, Scavenger, and Tank Superiority do not captivate me to the extent that Conquest does. I hope End Game has Headquarters, as that is my favorite mode in COD, and I pretty much played only that 90% of the times w/the two COD games I own.

Just off of tonight I've played Aftermath more than Armored Kill. I was busy w/work when Armored Kill dropped and the times I dabbled in it, unfortunately I found the maps lonely and vacant even w/the full player count. I wish DICE had made the maps smaller or increased the player count for AK b/c I was pretty much running solo most of the time and rarely interacted w/people. To that extent, I am liking Aftermath more off of initial impressions though I concede I did not spend adequate time w/Armored Kill. I think I will eventually double dip and get this for PC when I get a new job and can buy a new laptop.

Any class can use it, you just have to have to change the first gadget in the load out screen.
Thanks! lol I was so lost and frustrated.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm not really feeling the maps. :/ Cross-bow is kinda weak, haven't unlocked the special ones yet.

The aim being fixed is nice, but fucked my aiming to where I'm eating deaths at times. :/ Gotta adjust again I guess but damn DICE... this should've been fixed one and done on launch.

Really excited about all this talk regarding the controls feeling like BC2 now, maybe I will finally get into this game like i did with BC2, CANT WAIT.

TheSeks

Most of the time it was a one-shot kill for me last night. of course the problem is when you miss, that long re-load time can screw you.

Are you playing Hardcore? Because on normal/softcore one bolt of the normal bolt to the body won't put them down. It has to be headshots to OHK otherwise a pistol bullet/other bullet + bolt to finish them.

I just gotta get assist kills or something for the HE bolts and then it's every day I'm trollin' tiem.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Really excited about all this talk regarding the controls feeling like BC2 now, maybe I will finally get into this game like i did with BC2, CANT WAIT.

I think I've been one of the most critical people regarding the "aiming" controls... even when everyone was happy with the beta controls... I thought they were a million miles away from what we'd had in BC2.

Now, after this latest patch, I think they are very similar. The two games are quite different in many ways, but as far as how the aiming feels now, there is real parity between the two.

It always felt like more of an acceleration issue than anything to do with lag... maybe a bit of both? Idk, whatever it was they got it sorted out in my (always vocally critical) opinion.

TheSeks

There. Cross-bow, primary weapon, and grenade kill in one life unlocked.
On Metro Conquest. lolz.
Protip: Have a squad/team/friend mate that has medic revive you if you die. It'll count if you're revived. I had the cross-bow and primary kill but didn't have the grenade. Died, revived, got it and it popped.

Just leaves picking up weapons in scavenger (not a bad mode but the spawns and rushing for a primary weapon since you'll be outgunned with the pistol is pretty shitty) and unlocking the cross-bow parts to destroy a tank with said cross-bow to have all the Aftermath achievements.

jayb

Are you playing Hardcore? Because on normal/softcore one bolt of the normal bolt to the body won't put them down. It has to be headshots to OHK otherwise a pistol bullet/other bullet + bolt to finish them.

I just gotta get assist kills or something for the HE bolts and then it's every day I'm trollin' tiem.

Normal. I was getting some headshots, but I suppose I was just getting lucky and hitting people who already had low health.

It did seem like though that the closer I was, the more OHKs I would get. And not all of those close range/firing from the hip OHKs were headshots.

JJD

Like all weapons, yes.

It takes slot-1 on all the classes but support, where it's slot-2.

WTF??? I supposed that it would take the gadget slot 1 on all classes.

Why the hell Dice is giving support players the possibility of running around with infinite motion sensor bolts and explosive bolts since they will still have the ammo pack?

C4 was the best slot 2 gadget by far, but it's limited and a lot of people run armor with proximity sensor. Now why should you run with it and try to kamikaze vehicles if you can just troll then to death from a safe distance...

I swear to God, for every good decision Dice does they make at least 3 or 4 bad ones...

Weapon balance wise they hit more than they miss, but almost every time they add a new feature to the game they screw up badly.

jayb

Why the hell Dice is giving support players the possibility of running around with infinite motion sensor bolts and explosive bolts since they will still have the ammo pack?

C4 was the best slot 2 gadget by far, but it's limited and a lot of people run armor with proximity sensor. Now why should you run with it and try to kamikaze vehicles if you can just troll then to death from a safe distance...

I swear to God, for every good decision Dice does they make at least 3 or 4 bad ones...

Weapon balance wise they hit more than they miss, but almost every time they add a new feature to the game they screw up badly.

are the explosive bolts even that powerful? how many does it take to destroy a tank?

TheSeks

jayb: It seems the normal is better in close-range (like shotgun/balls touching close) as opposed to mid-range (say flag E door to door in that one map of Armored kill with 5 flags up and down in Scavenger). Maybe that's why I don't really care for it since I prefer mid-range engagements over close-range.

Also you can change the bolt type once you unlock them *boner*

JJD: It really isn't that good Look at that first link for the various types and damage it does. Yes, Support gets the infinite ability but given that HE Arrow/C4 arrows are extremely weak besides one type of vehicle it isn't that broken. Add in that damage to infantry that isn't the normal arrow is also weak and the motion sensor ONLY scans once (as soon as it hits a surface) compared to a T-UGS and it's a situational weapon. Not at all broken. You really have to unlock/try it to see for yourself.

TheSeks

I haven't unlocked the HE arrows yet to confirm the damage by yourself, but I think the only way the HE arrows are going to break the game is if two people are anti-tank trolling with it. And even then they have to hit you, which seems hard to do if you are moving sideways since the arrow can't seem to travel quick enough (at least on infantry) to hit.

Also input lag fix video while I'm at it.

as opposed to having C4/Claymores and a crossbow?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I haven't unlocked the HE arrows yet to confirm the damage by yourself, but I think the only way the HE arrows are going to break the game is if two people are anti-tank trolling with it. And even then they have to hit you, which seems hard to do if you are moving sideways since the arrow can't seem to travel quick enough (at least on infantry) to hit.

This guy doesn't talk about whether or not he disabled AA... I still feel a pretty big difference to between on and off, and have sacrificed visual quality in favor of tighter control because you really can feel the difference.

GenericUser

This guy doesn't talk about whether or not he disabled AA... I still feel a pretty big difference to between on and off, and have sacrificed visual quality in favor of tighter control because you really can feel the difference.

true true, this is honestly the biggest letdown of the new patc. The lag feels EXACTLY the same as it did with the old patch (at least on my setups). And I cant even congratulate dice on this, it took them a whole year to address an issue that must not be in such a AAA(triple, quadruple) A title!

Although, I am happy that now almost all PS3 bros can experience bf3 the right way.

TheSeks

as opposed to having C4/Claymores and a crossbow?

They wouldn't be able to resupply themselves to counter that argument, but I know where you're going with it and I agree with you over JJD.

The cross-bow has some unique situational uses and I still say JJD doesn't need to worry about it being "broken" just yet with the C4 arrows since those 1) don't do too much damage to infantry (thank you based DICE) and 2) vehicles aren't damaged too well with them.

They're more a surprise or flank option to get the tank to focus elsewhere to let someone sneak in.

And frankly, EVERY Slot-1 (and Slot-2 on Support) option is wayyyy better than the cross-bow in practical uses, IMO. I still like the cross-bow and I want to become the Daryl Dixon of it but it's not the end-all be-all weapon that JJD worries it is.

JJD

Thanks for the replies Seks! Seems I was worrying too much. I didn't know the particulars of the motion sensor bolt or the explosive bolt. And you're right the med pack and a rocket launcher are way more useful than the bow to assault and engineers players. I guess they're better suited to recons? Running a shotgun and a bow might be a good combo if you want to be really aggressive but still snipe, but I'll probably stick to my trusty motion sensor!

Unfortunately I can barely play the game to experience the new stuff since my ISP is the shittiest internet provider south of the equator.

Faceless, as Seks said I was thinking that not being able to resupply yourself bolts, C4 or claymores was more balanced than having an infinite supply of bolts, but it seems that it's just not that big of an issue.

DarkFlow

Banned
Is this game n00b friendly? I've never played Battlefield before. It should arrive by day's end.
The game can be very frustrating at times more then a normal FPS mainly for the fact that you have to depend on your team more then anything. You can't really Rambo your way to a win. But it can be very fun if you learn to deal with the fact that your team is dumb and you can do what you want.

Rainy Dog

Do you really reckon the game looks nicer with AA enabled? I personally much prefer it without. I never felt the console AA implementation in BF3 did too much for jaggies, just blurs and softens the overall image. With no AA, jaggies might be slightly more prominent but the IQ is much sharper and textures are unmolestered.

I have to say that I think the Aftermath maps are the best maps in BF3 and better than the B2K ones, at least after playing them in Conquest (not sure about Rush).

Direct link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFBpmoLpgi0&hd=1

No_Style

Do you really reckon the game looks nicer with AA enabled? I personally much prefer it without. I never felt the console AA implementation in BF3 did too much for jaggies, just blurs and softens the overall image. With no AA, jaggies might be slightly more prominent but the IQ is much sharper and textures are unmolestered.

This.

I turned it off even when the input lag wasn't an issue for me for all the stated reasons.

TheSeks

Thanks for the replies Seks! Seems I was worrying too much. I didn't know the particulars of the motion sensor bolt or the explosive bolt. And you're right the med pack and a rocket launcher are way more useful than the bow to assault and engineers players. I guess they're better suited to recons? Running a shotgun and a bow might be a good combo if you want to be really aggressive but still snipe, but I'll probably stick to my trusty motion sensor!

The cross-bow is suited for anyone. Recon with C4 has the ability to defend themselves (even if that C4 is weak), they have the ability to shoot an area to "ping" it once as a sensor arrow. Sensor is good as a support to see areas of interest or just medic to see if you can get into an area or not to revive someone. Engineer can see if a tank is around the corner or is someone is in a building before stealing a tank.

Heavy Arrows allows for better sniping, but the cross-bow still has an insane drop to balance it. It seems DICE hasn't given an overpowered weapon for once and thought the pros/cons around.

Really, you have to play with it to see if it's your thing. But still: Slot-1/Slot-2 options are a better option over it and I can't really see games being won with just cross-bow users. Certainly not in Rush where healing would be more useful in crowd control situations.

Top Bottom