• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

does GAF play BF3 matches together on PS3?

id really love to join some of those matches.

My psn id is OmieeZF-LIVE, really need some people to play BF3 with since my real life friends mostly play MW3

I regularly play online on PS3. My PSN-name is in my profile if you want to add ne.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
U Suck Ass Skank with Frag rounds is the most bullshit tactic to hold chokepoints, ever.

Metro is awful with it. Can't advance because LAV rounds are hitting you in tunnels.

U Suck Ass Skank with Frag rounds is the most bullshit tactic to hold chokepoints, ever.

Metro is awful with it. Can't advance because LAV rounds are hitting you in tunnels.

I was having a good time launching m320's in metro the other night. We had B held and the left stairwell and front escalators were just jammed packed with the other team. Just about every m320 shell launched was a kill. I had about 10 in a row before I finally went down. Those chokepoints are absolute death when there are multiple explosions going off everywhere, grenades, 320's, rockets, and of course the USAS with frags. I don't have the frags unlocked yet, but I need to get them for Metro.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It's retarded... but I've been saying that for some time now.

You go assault, have USASfrag and then the stand alone launcher w/ extra frag squad perk and suddenly DICE's lack of foresight becomes awfully apparent.

Unless clusterfucks like that were their intention. Which might even be a more worrying thought.

TheSeks

They need to take the gloves off at times and not play like gentlemen. Or Demize needs to stop being fake sweede and yell at the rest of the team for some of this shit.

Evolved1

One thing I took from that last DICE post about the proposed changes to attachments... is a little insight into how they balance the game. I don't get the impression they approach it like one of us might, through simple playtesting and sometimes just common sense. I'm sure they play the game and have people who do that, but it seems like the guy was more evaluating "balance" based on how much stuff is actually used.

So... don't nerf the scar because it feels too powerful. Nerf it because too many people are using it. That over/underuse is indicative of balance problems. Maybe more so than feedback. At least I wonder.

TheSeks

One thing I took from that last DICE post about the proposed changes to attachments... is a little insight into how they balance the game. I don't get the impression they approach it like one of us might, through simple playtesting and sometimes just common sense. I'm sure they play the game and have people who do that, but it seems like the guy was more evaluating "balance" based on how much stuff is actually used.

So... don't nerf the scar because it feels too powerful. Nerf it because too many people are using it. That over/underuse is indicative of balance problems. Maybe more so than feedback. At least I wonder.

Er-that's always how Demize has done it. Where were you for BC2? He nerfed the M60 not because it was good but because it was overused. Same with the AN-94.

The damning thing is:

4InchesOfury 21 points 1 month ago said:
But when it was put in place originally, did nobody think that it might be just a little too bright? (About Flashlights. -Seks)

Demize99(S) 51 points 1 month ago said:
If you think that's bad...

The simple reality is that when we playtest, we tend to be Gentlemen. We work together, we have to get along, if someone whores it up with some over powered thing in the playtest it gets a bit... personal. So a lot of the abuse-able items don't get heavy use. We specifically plan on making balance changes when the game goes "Live." No game launches perfect.

L4NGOS 161 points 1 month ago said:
Hire the worst trolls you can find to game play test BF4, pitch them against each other and reap the excellent results.

Demize99(S) 74 points 1 month ago said:
It's definitely an interesting concept.

t1mmen 61 points 1 month ago said:
I'm very surprised you guys don't do this already.

Playing on a friends-only server (which is basically what you're describing) is awesome, but the majority of players will experience the game almost exclusively on pubs, where the trolls live.

Idomis 4 points 1 month ago[/quote said:
If you're not simulating live environments (where people aren't going to be gentlemanly), then all the balance testing in the world isn't going to mean anything. Sure, you catch bugs, but it's pretty frustrating to the end-user that everything else is left by the wayside.

I mean, if we put it in terms of dollars, who is going to buy DLC for a game they feel is fundamentally broken? And goodness forbid they find out that it's broken because nobody wanted to test those broken mechanics, lest they upset their coworkers at the development house.

Evolved1

Huh... interesting read. Thanks for posting that. Answers a lot of my questions.

I mean, I've been seriously dumbfounded about the flashlightz since launch. Just could not wrap my head around it. How does DICE, who does soooo many things right, actually let something so obviously stupid and broken slip out the door?

Well, now I know.

TheSeks

Huh... interesting read. Thanks for posting that. Answers a lot of my questions.

I mean, I've been seriously dumbfounded about the flashlightz since launch. Just could not wrap my head around it. How does DICE, who does soooo many things right, actually let something so obviously stupid and broken slip out the door?

Well, now I know.

There's some other things in that IAMA. And he occasionally comments in the BF3 subreddit, IIRC.

Evolved1

Wow, it's just fucking ridiclous how you can get spawn trapped on Sharqi Peninsula with Rush on attack.

That's an across-water insertion, correct?

If so... yeah... those were a really bad idea.

Er-that's always how Demize has done it. Where were you for BC2? He nerfed the M60 not because it was good but because it was overused. Same with the AN-94.

The damning thing is:

If you're not simulating live environments (where people aren't going to be gentlemanly), then all the balance testing in the world isn't going to mean anything. Sure, you catch bugs, but it's pretty frustrating to the end-user that everything else is left by the wayside.

I mean, if we put it in terms of dollars, who is going to buy DLC for a game they feel is fundamentally broken? And goodness forbid they find out that it's broken because nobody wanted to test those broken mechanics, lest they upset their coworkers at the development house.
if i worked at DICE, everything would be nerfed before the game hit alpha :D

no, none of the B2K maps have a water insertion for Rush. i can't imagine how a team could get legitimately spawn trapped at the start of that map in rush either...

It's retarded... but I've been saying that for some time now.

You go assault, have USASfrag and then the stand alone launcher w/ extra frag squad perk and suddenly DICE's lack of foresight becomes awfully apparent.

Unless clusterfucks like that were their intention. Which might even be a more worrying thought.

Jackhammer + M26 FRAG = TROLLOLLOLL

"is he reloading?" "he's reloading!"

REJECTED!!!

Evolved1

Jackhammer + M26 FRAG = TROLLOLLOLL

"is he reloading?" "he's reloading!"

REJECTED!!!

Yeah... that's rough too.

The 40mm allows you to hit a group that's bunched up right below the steps... scare them into a group with the frag rounds and then "triple kill" with the 40mm they can't see coming or even get away from.

Either way... it's pretty dastardly.
and probably bad for the long term success of the game/franchise.

Dreaver

I don't think we're talking about the same part, I'm talking about the beginning:
VpB6n.jpg

There are only like 2 houses where you spawn, once they're gone there is no cover and if there are snipers you'll be sniped in like 2 seconds plus if there is a tank shooting at you you can't do anything.

I don't think we're talking about the same part, I'm talking about the beginning:
VpB6n.jpg

There are only like 2 houses where you spawn, once they're gone there is no cover and if there are snipers you'll be sniped in like 2 seconds plus if there is a tank shooting at you you can't do anything.
i may just have a really bad memory here, but i swore the defenders didn't get a tank there, only the attackers did...

Jas

Good games this afternoon Rockscar, Olimpia, and Scorch!
I know the teams were very unbalanced but I haven't played in a few days so they were good rounds to get a little rust off.
Highlight of the day was C4ing a LAV and a T-90 and destroying them both at the same time.

olimpia84

Good games this afternoon Rockscar, Olimpia, and Scorch!
I know the teams were very unbalanced but I haven't played in a few days so they were good rounds to get a little rust off.
Highlight of the day was C4ing a LAV and a T-90 and destroying them both at the same time.

That's funny, the enemy team did the same exact thing to our team in that Gulf of Oman round. btw I still can't get a kill with the F35 =/

njean777

I love ruining peoples days when they are in the tank, I walked away from the game for a brief period and returned (didnt get kicked) started to b-line for B flag in Tehran Highway and right in front of me a LAV pulls up and didnt see me. I run over and blow him sky high with c4 and end up getting a triple kill, jump into a tank and kill 5 more people before the engineers on their team ended up getting angry and all came after my tank. This game is so fun!!!!

MrBig

Ugh, I hate that there are two different kinds of B2K servers on 360, and they aren't labeled differently. One version has "small" versions of maps with less CPs and vehicles, the other has normal Conquest on Oman and "large" versions of the rest of the maps. Is there a way to filter the server list to only show the large rotation?

Evolved1

Ugh, I hate that there are two different kinds of B2K servers on 360, and they aren't labeled differently. One version has "small" versions of maps with less CPs and vehicles, the other has normal Conquest on Oman and "large" versions of the rest of the maps. Is there a way to filter the server list to only show the large rotation?

The filters for consolites are only there to serve people who don't actually like Battlefield proper.

Seanspeed

Banned

You sure? I thought it was just a random playlist sort of thing.

WoodWERD

Back on the topic of Recons, I was really disappointed that they nerfed the squad beacons the way they did. I used to love sneaking past the enemy and putting a beacon around their first flag and wreaking havoc. Some may have found this cheap, but when the same tactic was used against our team, we were always able to tell they were spawning behind us and could sniff out the beacon fairly quickly. I use the class a lot less frequently as a result.

I'm also a much bigger fan of being able to throw your motion sensors in BC2, they allowed you to be a lot more flexible and remain close to the action that way. These days I'm mostly support or medic, and I'll bust out engineer when our team isn't taking out a pesky chopper. And sorry if it's been mentioned, but have they said when to expect the next patch for 360? USAS/frag needs to go...I just enlightened my friend to this setup and he's been using it ever since lol.

senador

Banned

Wow so bright and so pretty. BF3 is so dark compared to that. :/ Also, that water is beautiful.

There are definitely two kinds, with two different rotation sets.

The difference is Conquest and Conquest Assault. Assault is the scaled down version. I didn't know they were locked to servers though, in fact I don't think they are. I've gotten both types while playing Conquest on the same server. I though if you are playing Conquest, you could get either, and no you can't choose one or the other.

I don't really like the Assault variant, but it can be fun on some maps since some are just too damn big for only 24 players.

Evolved1

Are you trying to say something?

You asked:

Is there a way to filter the server list to only show the large rotation?

I responded, sarcastically,"no."

The only server options for console versions are to remove things like vehicles or make the games smaller. Nothing useful for people who want to filter the server for bigger games, or anything of that sort.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Fuck these random suicides. If it's not yourself or your dipshit teammates you just die.
There's still so much broken shit going on. The hit detection hasn't improved one bit from BC2, too. And those are the things I noticed TODAY and made me angry...
This game could be so much fun, but Dice still can't deliver it. After 3 months or so...

olimpia84

Just got done rage quitting an Op. Metro game, sorry Cod and Boa. At least five people in my team had less than 2 kills nearing the end of the match and they were playing from the beginning of the game. One of them was a level 35 guy called baballi or something, he was 0 and 17. How the fuck can you be a level 35 and be that bad? The previous round in Wake Island he finished 0 and 8 but at least we won.

At the end I was so pissed that I decided to do a little experiment and join his squad to see what the heck he was doing. He was spawning every time in our base, then go into prone and crawl towards C...since the enemy had C he kept doing the same thing over and over...
Seriously what the fuck was wrong with him?

U2NUMB

Ok .. need some help here. Played for well over 100 hours on the 360.. loved it as per usual for me and BF games but just like BC2 I wanted to play a bit on the Ps3 also. So found a new copy for 39.99 with the DLC and I picked it up.

What on earth is up with the controls? I started out with the PS controller but could not deal with it. I have the XCM so I started using my wired 360 controller (so nice to switch trigger and bumper buttons) and it is still unplayable.

I know there has been talk about this but I had no idea it was this bad.. going between consoles it is night and day.

Has DICE said anything about this issue? I would love to build up my Ps3 soldier but I just do not know if I can stand the really rough controls.

TheSeks

Sorry Bo, but as soon as a teammate took the jet (and didn't even bother to help us take the jet I took two times out because he was hassling the ground on their defense round...) I was done. Fuck sitting around while a jet circles around and they hold our team off first set of Firestorm.

Jets are stupid. As is the anti-air option with the lock-on in the tank. Get a lock on but OH WAIT THEY PASS OVER YOU AND YOU HAVE A VERT. LOCK. TROLLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Oh, and fire FIVE ROUNDS AT THE MOTHERFUCKER, SEE THEM TRAIL. But they don't even bother to hit because the dude moves? What? WTF point is there to the guided shells if it isn't a troll-me-with-lock-on-shell then!?

Seriously, Bo and me in a tank for nearly the whole round while they take A but can't take B Bo and I arm it TWICE and Bo gets a spawn point above it but apparently I can't hit shit on prone near the damn crate with the KH2000. So rage inducing.

Fuck this input lag and fuck this prone-not-hit shit.

TheSeks

Flying defaults from BC1->2->BF3 have really fucked with my flying skills when I get in the chopper. "Oh, right stick turn--WHAM!"

Spent this round flying under bridges and close to the ground to practice in the little bird. Still can't fly decently, but I can fly.

Also :lol @ Battlelog counting that as a win despite Faceless, et. al. quitting and I sticking around for the ticket bleed. Double :lol for me getting MVP/Ace/Conquest ribbons WITHOUT a loading screen.

there are two different kinds of B2K servers, B2K only and B2K + BF3, both of which have the small and medium sizes in rotation

Flying defaults from BC1->2->BF3 have really fucked with my flying skills when I get in the chopper. "Oh, right stick turn--WHAM!"

Spent this round flying under bridges and close to the ground to practice in the little bird. Still can't fly decently, but I can fly.

Also :lol @ Battlelog counting that as a win despite Faceless, et. al. quitting and I sticking around for the ticket bleed. Double :lol for me getting MVP/Ace/Conquest ribbons WITHOUT a loading screen.

i already stayed in 1 empty server for the win today, didn't feel like doing it again.

TheSeks

I might try the guided missile after watching your vid. I usually just go AA.

Guided missile is hax... when it hits. *mumble grumble*Tank 5 shots no jet kill to stop a person ass-fucking my teams tanks. *mumble grumble*

@Olimpia: Better your W/L than your KDR being like -4/-5 at times today. :| At least I made the deficit back in TDM. But still. :/

Guided missile is hax... when it hits. *mumble grumble*Tank 5 shots no jet kill to stop a person ass-fucking my teams tanks. *mumble grumble*

@Olimpia: Better your W/L than your KDR being like -4/-5 at times today. :| At least I made the deficit back in TDM. But still. :/

guided missile seems to work fine for me in choppers, but in jets, wtf? i've never gotten a hit!

Top Bottom