• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

redhot_

One thing that really brings down the B2K maps is conquest assault. What a retarded fucking mode. Hurp, lets take the worst aspect of conquest, and make it it's own mode! derp.

I'm with you on that one, its so rough on ps3, so many bad players that don't even want to try and attack.

Everytime I play this game online I wonder if my teammates are mentally challenged. The shit I see online.. wow.

same. Even my opponents I question. Both from today...

Seine CQ. Our tank disables their tank. Guy bails...I try to repair their tank. Our tank continues to fire not once but twice as I got some repair in. Tank blows up. I'm dumbfounded.

Noshahr CQ. Dude on opp team drives tank to somewhere between A and C. Gets out and runs away. I jump in tank and get off to a 14 kill start.

Kak.efes

If we're going to talk about stupid players, I had the worst experience with one a couple of nights ago. It was Noshahr Canals Conquest, the round started, and I was lucky enough to get the Z11-W. I took out both opposing Little Birds, and made my way to the aircraft carrier with all three passengers still alive. I parked my chopper right next to the Little Bird spawn area in hopes that one of my teammates would realize what I was doing, and get in it when it spawned. What happens instead? A support player gets out, laces our chopper with C4, gets back in, and blows it up, killing himself, and everybody inside.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Seine CQ. Our tank disables their tank. Guy bails...I try to repair their tank. Our tank continues to fire not once but twice as I got some repair in. Tank blows up. I'm dumbfounded.

This shit infuriates me!

For some reason in videogames I'm way more high strung than irl. :/

Everytime I play this game online I wonder if my teammates are mentally challenged. The shit I see online.. wow.
For some reason in videogames I'm way more high strung than irl. :/

I have found if you can't beat 'em join 'em to be the best solution here (not for wins, granted, but for fun at least).

Unless the guys on my team/squad have truly demonstrated that they're capable of creating a semblance of team cohesion, I just play the role of "dipshit random" and do whatever I happen to feel like doing (work my unlocks, tank-whore, camp, etc.). It's not like anyone's going to notice the difference anyway. You just blend right in.

edit: although you guys are probably done with your unlocks and stuff; I'm still only lvl15.

njean777

Recon already has a penchant for lone wolfing. By not having C4 it keeps them more bound to the squad and playing a team member.

BF3's balance gives it a MUCH better team dynamic then BC2.

Recon is under powered for anything other then sniping, that is the huge problem. I find myself in situations were I cant play my class (Recon) because it is not useful to the team in any way (other then spotting). I usually just roll support now, so I can take care of tanks and take points.

Also USAS is op as hell, kill me from across the map in operation metro without slug rounds: FUCK OFF DICE FIX THAT SHIT

CatPee

Recon is under powered for anything other then sniping, that is the huge problem. I find myself in situations were I cant play my class (Recon) because it is not useful to the team in any way (other then spotting). I usually just roll support now, so I can take care of tanks and take points.

Also USAS is op as hell, kill me from across the map in operation metro without slug rounds: FUCK OFF DICE FIX THAT SHIT

Recons in CQ generally aren't too great other than for some convenient beacon placement or SOFLAM along with the occasional motion-sensing, but a recon wielding a PDW/battle rifle + T-UGS/MAV + spawn beacon is a great asset in Rush, offense or defense.

njean777

Recons in CQ generally aren't too great other than for some convenient beacon placement or SOFLAM along with the occasional motion-sensing, but a recon wielding a PDW/battle rifle + T-UGS/MAV + spawn beacon is a great asset in Rush, offense or defense.

If I am recon I do not want to be "in the shit" all the time, so there would be no point to have an assault rifle and play a sniper they have much better classes for that like assault, engineer, and support.

If I had c4 though it would let me have that safety net to be able to get "into the shit" and not feel screwed if I see a tank.

Evolved1

If I am recon I do not want to be "in the shit" all the time, so there would be no point to have an assault rifle and play a sniper they have much better classes for that like assault, engineer, and support.

If I had c4 though it would let me have that safety net to be able to get "into the shit" and not feel screwed if I see a tank.

Assault recons have been a very powerful CQB class since BC2. They are diminished in their capacity to bust vehicles in BF3, but their permanent motion sensor and spawn beacon make them a very good addition to any Rush or Conquest squad, and almost indispensable on infantry maps like Metro.

The class is called recon. They are not meant to be pigeonholed into a solely "sniper" role. If anything, DICE has taken very aggressive steps to deemphasize that role. With a very obnoxious scope glint, killcams, heavy scope sway... and the inherent difficulty of adjusting shots for bullet drop and the necessity to lead moving targets.

If fact, with the exception of the very best players, tradition role of "sniper" is about the most useless fucking thing you can do for the team. Since, for spotting, the MAV is far more effective than spotting down the scope. And because snipers do not contribute very much to the core game (defending/attacking objectives) and generally rate lowest in SPM and contributed kills on the scoreboard. They are barely above worthless.

Fun to play as a sniper, for the sniper, but not very helpful to the team. The exceptions are quite rare. They aren't as bad as the retards who actively sabotage teams, through trolling or just general incompetence, but they certainly don't contribute much either.

And if a sniper gets in a vehicle, only to jump out at their favorite sniping spot, or wastes a spawn beacon so they can spawn back at their favorite (usually retarded) sniping spot, then they are the worst kind of battlefield loser scrub there is. They've become one of the sabotagers.

this post brought to you by a few years of bitterness and a bottle of red wine. edit: and extensive post-haste editing.

njean777

Assault recons have been a very powerful CQB class since BC2. They are diminished in their capacity to bust vehicles in BF3, but their permanent motion sensor and spawn beacon make them a very good addition to any Rush or Conquest squad, and almost indispensable on infantry maps like Metro.

The class is called recon. They are not meant to be pigeonholed into a solely "sniper" role. If anything, DICE has taken very aggressive steps to deemphasize that role. With a very obnoxious scope glint, killcams, heavy scope sway... and the inherent difficulty of adjusting shots for bullet drop and the necessity to lead moving targets.

If fact, with the exception of the very best players, tradition role of "sniper" is about the most useless fucking thing you can do for the team. Since, for spotting, the MAV is far more effective than spotting down the scope. And because snipers do not contribute very much to the core game (defending/attacking objectives) and generally rate lowest in SPM and contributed kills on the scoreboard. They are barely above worthless.

Fun to play as a sniper, for the sniper, but not very helpful to the team. The exceptions are quite rare. They aren't as bad as the retards who actively sabotage teams, through trolling or just general incompetence, but they certainly don't contribute much either.

And if a sniper gets in a vehicle, only to jump out at their favorite sniping spot, or wastes a spawn beacon so they can spawn back at their favorite (usually retarded) sniping spot, then they are the worst kind of battlefield loser scrub there is. They've become one of the sabotagers.

this post brought to you by a few years of bitterness and a bottle of red wine. edit: and extensive post-haste editing.

I find it funny they have glare on their riles when modern rifles have anti-glare scopes, kinda not modern now is it? What, do all the snipers use 1950's scopes? or civilian issue?

Also I wish they would have left the motion sensor balls, I use to run in close quarters much more in BC2 then in BF3 since I hade those, but the TUGS is not cutting it at all. It a huge waste of space imo because I can not just throw it and walk away like I did in BC2. Hell I would help our whole team in BC2 with just motion sensors. I play for the team even as Recon, but in BF3 they have really limited me beyond what was needed. I dont mind taking away the mortars from snipers as those were annoying, but taking away c4? Now our class is completely useless if a tank rolls up and all the randoms are to stupid to do anything about it. It just baffles me that they nerfed recon this much. I still have all weapons and unlocked almost everything for the class, but it is just not as useful to me as it was in BC2. They even took away our automatic spotting perk which was really nice to have for the team. But now we have to keep on pressing back in order to spot. The MAV is cool, but it takes away my ability to be able to help the team by defending the points, instead I am stuck in a MAV spotting instead of being able to spot and kill at the same time.

I don't buy this. I mean, sure, Johnny the FPS Badass can roll "aggressive" recon and fuck shit up all day, okay fine. Sure it's "useful" to have a competent recon in your squad. But in the context of balance, the context of the average player asking themselves if they should go recon for the next handful of lives, I don't know that some auto-spotting tools and a glorified spawn-on-squad mechanic make it the better choice over the other three classes, and that's the very definition of "underpowered": there's almost no reason at all to be a recon when you could be rolling engy, support, or assault instead.

Evolved1

I find it funny they have glare on their riles when modern rifles have anti-glare scopes, kinda not modern now is it? What, do all the snipers use 1950's scopes? or civilian issue?

Also I wish they would have left the motion sensor balls, I use to run in close quarters much more in BC2 then in BF3 since I hade those, but the TUGS is not cutting it at all. It a huge waste of space imo because I can not just throw it and walk away like I did in BC2. Hell I would help our whole team in BC2 with just motion sensors. I play for the team even as Recon, but in BF3 they have really limited me beyond what was needed. I dont mind taking away the mortars from snipers as those were annoying, but taking away c4? Now our class is completely useless if a tank rolls up and all the randoms are to stupid to do anything about it. It just baffles me that they nerfed recon this much. I still have all weapons and unlocked almost everything for the class, but it is just not as useful to me as it was in BC2. They even took away our automatic spotting perk which was really nice to have for the team. But now we have to keep on pressing back in order to spot. The MAV is cool, but it takes away my ability to be able to help the team by defending the points, instead I am stuck in a MAV spotting instead of being able to spot and kill at the same time.

Well, consider me in the camp that would like recon to have C4. Especially since you can't throw the shit anymore like you could in BC2. But we are the minority opinion on it. And I've been reconsidering my position on it, since hearing opposing feedback from players whose opinions I respect.

Motion balls, we do not agree on. I was a motion mine whore in BC2, but I've come to love the set it and forget it TUGS. It always works until you die. Awesome around an objective. Less micro managing, less dependence on ammo resupply.

And I'll never change my position on the usefulness of traditional snipers. They aren't ever very useful, but sometimes if your team is good enough they aren't terribly harmful either. But they can be. Truth is, if you role "sniper" all the time, I wouldn't want you in my squad... or team.... or platoon.... or friends list. lol

Unless you were some kind of exceptional player...

edit: and the glare is there on the rifle scopes because DICE hates snipers as much as everyone else who isn't a sniper.

I don't buy this. I mean, sure, Johnny the FPS Badass can roll "aggressive" recon and fuck shit up all day, okay fine. Sure it's "useful" to have a competent recon in your squad. But in the context of balance, the context of the average player asking themselves if they should go recon for the next handful of lives, I don't know that some auto-spotting tools and a glorified spawn-on-squad mechanic make it the better choice over the other three classes, and that's the very definition of "underpowered": there's almost no reason at all to be a recon when you could be rolling engy or support, let alone assault.

Well I could point to a number of instances where TUGS helped win us the game. Or Olimpia sneaking past B on metro and planting a spawn beacon was the key to turning around a loss and pulling out a win.

Assault recon isn't for everyone, but those who use it right help team get W's.

I just noticed you changed back to the old avatar, Evolved. Everything is right again.

Yeah... guess I'm on Vita defense force (just really looking forward to gravity daze actually). But vrace yourself... soon I might join real pic gaf for January. 0_o

njean777

Well, consider me in the camp that would like recon to have C4. Especially since you can't throw the shit anymore like you could in BC2. But we are the minority opinion on it. And I've been reconsidering my position on it, since hearing opposing feedback from players whose opinions I respect.

Motion balls, we do not agree on. I was a motion mine whore in BC2, but I've come to love the set it and forget it TUGS. It always works until you die. Awesome around an objective. Less micro managing, less dependence on ammo resupply.

And I'll never change my position on the usefulness of traditional snipers. They aren't ever very useful, but sometimes if your team is good enough they aren't terribly harmful either. But they can be. Truth is, if you role "sniper" all the time, I wouldn't want you in my squad... or team.... or platoon.... or friends list. lol

edit: and the glare is there on the rifle scopes because DICE hates snipers as much as everyone else who isn't a sniper.

Unless you were some kind of exceptional player...

Well I could point to a number of instances where TUGS helped win us the game. Or Olimpia sneaking past B on metro and planting a spawn beacon was the key to turning around a loss and pulling out a win.

Yeah... guess I'm on Vita defense force (just really looking forward to gravity daze actually). But vrace yourself... soon I might join real pic gaf for January. 0_o

I understand the glare from a balance perspective, but its just so stupid. Also what is the counter argument to snipers having c4? It is not really over powering snipers at all, if anything it only helps them in CQC. I mean sure assault really doesn't have a way to get rid of tanks, but they never have since BC (from what I remember). Also yes, if you only snipe as a sniper you are doing it wrong. Hell the SKS is the perfect assault sniper rifle.

I'm not arguing against its general utility, I thought that was clear. Of course it has applications that can win a round. But as your last sentence implies, that's more about the player than the class. What random smurf is switching to recon because "the team needs it?" would be a question, for instance. If the answer is "not a single one" then the class is underpowered, I reckon.

Evolved1

Also what is the counter argument to snipers having c4?

Summary: That it just isn't necessary and that all classes being able to bust vehicles is poor balance.

I said at one point "recons should have C4"

Faceless replied, "No".

Believe it or not, that carries a lot of weight with me. I'm almost glad he didn't explain himself, because usually when the two of us disagree, I'm the one who ends up looking dumb. It's happened enough times that I just kind of defer on contentious issues, or seriously rethink my own position.

I'm not arguing against its general utility, I thought that was clear. Of course it has applications that can win a round. But as your last sentence implies, that's more about the player than the class. What random smurf is switching to recon because "the team needs it?" would be a question, for instance. If the answer is "not a single one" then the class is underpowered, I reckon.

Oh ok... my bad. I think, the way you're looking at it, seems to be how DICE approaches balancing issues. If the recent post on proposed attachment changes is anything to go by. Underutilization is a sign of poor balance.

njean777

Summary: That it just isn't necessary and that all classes being able to bust vehicles is poor balance.

I said at one point "recons should have C4"

Faceless replied, "No".

Believe it or not, that carries a lot of weight with me. I'm almost glad he didn't explain himself, because usually when the two of us disagree, I'm the one who ends up looking dumb. It's happened enough times that I just kind of defer on contentious issues, or seriously rethink my own position.

Well I get the counter, but to give support both mortar and c4 is the wrong answer. If anybody should have c4, assault would be well with it. I mean if you think about it, they are gonna be on the front lines anyways, so assault with c4 makes more since then snipers, but I just want my c4 back! (cries to self)

cibLD.jpg

I think this is clip is a bit better. Used a different program and codec to capture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvtrshfjqAY

The one that has a space for an hard drive? Why get that over the USB HDDVR they offer?

i require one that can record without being hooked up to a PC

njean777

cibLD.jpg

i require one that can record without being hooked up to a PC

Oh my... must have demolished him, the only time I ever want to do that is when people are gltiching outside the map and sniping. That pisses me off to no end. But even then, I refrain from sending them messages and just report them for cheating.

Oh my... must have demolished him, the only time I ever want to do that is when people are gltiching outside the map and sniping. That pisses me off to no end. But even then, I refrain from sending them messages and just report them for cheating.

i don't even know why he sent that, i don't remember doing anything before that to get that kind of hate...

is such a thing even possible?

yeah, the one i mentioned earlier, the AVerMedia Game Capture HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMtY44v9d34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lrm9fPE2og

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd5jDcp1ffs

Finally unlocked frag rounds for the Saiga but I gotta say I'm kinda disappointed…for all the bitching and moaning around here about them being used with the U Suck At Shooting, it didn't seem to be helping me any, I've always seemed to have the best luck with regular ole buckshots.

Finally unlocked frag rounds for the Saiga but I gotta say I'm kinda disappointed…for all the bitching and moaning around here about them being used with the U Suck At Shooting, it didn't seem to be helping me any, I've always seemed to have the best luck with regular ole buckshots.

the Saiga doesn't have the same firing rate/mode.

Ah so those are frag rounds people use on shotguns? That USAS with fragrounds is a infantry LAV :/ Shit's rediculous.

Btw since they nerfed IRNV, I get a much better K/D per match. I used to use IRNV all the time. I went from 35-40 kills, 3-6 deaths to 60-70 kills, 4-8 deaths

Shadybiz

Sorry if this has been asked a million times already, but does anyone know if there has been any progress as far as EA/DICE, etc fixing the squad/party system (PS3 version)? A few friends and I play together once per week, and it is always a hassle. We party up in the menus, one of us selects a game, and then it plunks us in. Occasionally, we all make it on the same squad. Most times, we'll be spread over different squads, or even different teams. Some of us get dropped. It's very annoying, especially considering how easy it was in BFBC2.

So, am I missing something, or is it still just messed up?

Edit: Last night, I was on with only one friend. Both times that we tried to join a game together, we got put on separate teams. Extremely annoying.

Evolved1

Couple things I try to do when stuck being the squad leader:

1) Use the server browser, not matchmaking. Join a game that isn't full/empty. That is, join a game that has enough room for your squad + a couple spots. In case the sever screws you over, you have a chance to fix it yourself.

2) When the server inevitably screws you over, fix it yourself. You cannot count on the "switch teams" in the squad options menu to work. Most times it won't. Especially when the sever has autobalanced your squad on opposite sides. The way to subvert this bullshit is to go into the XMB, select one of your friend's profiles, and "join session" (leftmost option/icon). You do this through the XMB. Not through the in game crap options.

bonus advice: get your friends used to creating a squad when they first enter a game. Most gaffers will jump to Hotel. This is a good way (at least in the beginning of a match) to keep randoms from filling a spot, and if you happen to get dropped on the other team, it's easier for you to join up with your friends, because a spot will be open.

Others might have more/different advice, but I find this is enough to manage most days.

Shadybiz

Cool, thanks for the tips! We did know about the "create own squad" trick; we've used that with success, when we are actually all placed on the same team (half the battle).

I will definitely try the server browser instead of quick match. I think we tried the server browser when the game first came out, but that was back when the lists did not populate so well; we'll check it again, it's been awhile.

Did not know about joining through the xmb!

Game is great when we actually get together; we never get split up once together...it's just getting there that's the trouble.

Seanspeed

Banned
Acronym for "close quarters battle" and another common one you'll see on gaf is CQC which stands for "close quarters combat". I'm convinced usage of the latter is more pronounced on gaf because it was in a lot of the PR for the Metal Gear series. Either way, they both mean the same thing, and are common in most threads relating to realistic or semi-realistic military shooters.

9doKg.jpg
Thanks.

Ive come to the conclusion majority of B2K maps aren't great, Ive found myself wanting to go back to Caspian.

I like the maps a lot, but my main problem is that if I'm on a B2K server, I pretty much stay as an Engineer the entire time. Support is ok, but C4 is a bit trickier to use effectively than a rocket launcher.

Dreaver

I'm loving the new (old) maps. I think they are all pretty great, especially Back to Karkland (which I also loved in Battlefield 2).

Had a 6(!) multikill today, I destroyed a house with my tank which resulted in this insane multikill.

Is it just me, or doesn't Wake Island in B2K rush rotation on the 360? Only when you select it specifically at the server browser? I don't really like it for rush anyways, just wondering.

gl0w

I dont get it... I have asked DICE so many times on twitter about the private matches on consoles, and they still dont have a word to give about it.
I mean, really? BC2 had private matches (with some issues, i know)

it's not that hard... example: servers listed on server browser could have a option to set a password, that password expires in 5hours. This way anyone could 'get' a private server, play a private match, and in 5hours the server is free to play again.

U2NUMB

I dont get it... I have asked DICE so many times on twitter about the private matches on consoles, and they still dont have a word to give about it.
I mean, really? BC2 had private matches (with some issues, i know)

it's not that hard... example: servers listed on server browser could have a option to set a password, that password expires in 5hours. This way anyone could 'get' a private server, play a private match, and in 5hours the server is free to play again.

Perhaps it is a capacity issue? BC2 was did not draw the numbers BF3 has on consoles. Just a total guess on my part.

Calion

Compare that to Rush where Faceless sits down and Me, CoDMaul, and Cal attempt to take A first set Norshal against a team. I finally get the crate after dying about 5 times attempting to smoke it and we're down to 3-5 tickets. Not boring/intense. Big difference.

God, I love these types of rounds. All 4 of us rolling in, working together, intense teamwork, etc. They're great.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
My account is in NO WAY connected to any game or fish.
Cod is only connected to my firstname

I don't like being CoD =(

-Silver-

I'm starting to feel that dice needs to update the maps to take better advantage of them. Noshahr Canals needs to make use of the left hand side of the map (Russian side on Conquest), Kargh Island needs to make use of the right hand side, again Russian side on Conquest and Caspian Border needs one more flag and more tickets.

I'm also starting to miss some of the maps from BC2, that game had a bit of variety.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
My account is in NO WAY connected to any game or fish.
Cod is only connected to my firstname

I don't like being CoD =(

Then change your name. Because I read it as "Call of Duty Maul." HiI'mDaisyMinato:|.jpg

gl0w

Perhaps it is a capacity issue? BC2 was did not draw the numbers BF3 has on consoles. Just a total guess on my part.

Can be.. if true, then they should find a solution around it. I think private matches nowadays is a necessary feature in a big FPS like BF3.

Kak.efes

There's nothing wrong with the new Wake Island. People are just being nostalgic. In fact, all B2K maps are fantastic, my only gripe is conquest assault.

Omiee

does GAF play BF3 matches together on PS3?

id really love to join some of those matches.

My psn id is OmieeZF-LIVE, really need some people to play BF3 with since my real life friends mostly play MW3

Top Bottom