• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stStrike

Banned
I decided to give jets another whirl as I was over half way to heat seeking missiles. Got another kill and...

I'm 4 points away from heat seeking missiles, but with the amount of effort it takes to get a kill with guns it might as well be 1,000 :(

Rapstah said:
Is there a single GPU out there that has 2 GB or more VRAM per core in it?

They're common on the AMD side, 6970's and 6950's come in 1gig or 2gig flavors. It's only like 20 more bucks for 2GB so smart people have been getting those to future proof for a while.

Nvidia is using a non-256 multiple bus, so it's a little odder. There you might see 1280 mb, 1.5gb, and 3gb high end cards cards.

mcrae

Demon Ice said:
So has anyone had the glitch where the controls in your jet just stop responding? It'll be flying find and then all of a sudden the entire cockpit will shake and a loud metal crunching sound will play (but there hasn't been an enemy missile hit or damage whatsoever).

After that the jet will barely respond to any inputs. Rolls at 10% speed, no mouse control, etc. It's flying like it's disabled, but it hasn't been damaged at all. Sometimes this happens immediately after takeoff.

can definitely confirm this, just had it happen right after takeoff

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
catotheyounger said:
Is this the first game to recognize Osama bin Laden's death? Came across that in the campaign and was struck by that.
I think so. I'm sure the next MoH will have something about it though, maybe even a playable mission.

Maddness

Man. BF3 is by far my favorite shooter in a long time. Right up there with TF2. It's just a damn shame that Origin is the worst piece of shit to be installed on my PC since I played Wheel of Time.

I fucking hate it and hope the program itself dies in a fire. I have to sign up with a 3rd party just to change my avatar? Go fuck yourself. Why are you even a program?

mcrae

TCRS said:
Jets are totally useless on the 360. They don't fight each other and they are of no use to the guys on the ground. I can't see the enemies and even if I see one the Jet makes hardly any damage. But with nothing to kill you can't unlock stuff to make the Jets more useful..

Useless, as I said.

you just suck with them

anybody know a way to play lan coop.
i have two computers with battlefield and i can't seem to connect with the other computer on battlelog.
stupid ea servers.

Xevren

Jets definitely aren't useless, I do immensely better if I'm on a team that can spot for me. If any vehicles get spotted they're as good as dead.

eek5

whyyy.jpg

WHY? :(

TCRS

Banned
mcrae said:
you just suck with them

Maybe. Or maybe the Jets suck, especially compared to the planes in BF1943. In BF1943 you could do a lot of damage to the infantery and take out tanks with the bombs.

MrBig

TCRS said:
Maybe. Or maybe the Jets suck, especially compared to the planes in BF1943. In BF1943 you could do a lot of damage to the infantery and take out tanks with the bombs.
Jets are fine. You can throttle down and fire the chaingun at infantry, kill a few jets with it, unlock AtA missiles, and then unlock guided/unguided AtG missiles for taking out armor.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So has anyone had the glitch where the controls in your jet just stop responding? It'll be flying find and then all of a sudden the entire cockpit will shake and a loud metal crunching sound will play (but there hasn't been an enemy missile hit or damage whatsoever).

After that the jet will barely respond to any inputs. Rolls at 10% speed, no mouse control, etc. It's flying like it's disabled, but it hasn't been damaged at all. Sometimes this happens immediately after takeoff.

This has happened to me about four times. No idea what the deal is. Are you playing on PC?

This happens to me when I'm using my 360 controller hooked up to my PC.

LogicStep

Maddness said:
Man. BF3 is by far my favorite shooter in a long time. Right up there with TF2. It's just a damn shame that Origin is the worst piece of shit to be installed on my PC since I played Wheel of Time.

I fucking hate it and hope the program itself dies in a fire. I have to sign up with a 3rd party just to change my avatar? Go fuck yourself. Why are you even a program?
I feel the same. I'm seriously considering getting the 360 version so I don't have to deal with non of this bs lag/party stuff.

Prophane33

Really raging about the activation issues, waited an extra 2 days from release, I finally have time to play the darn game, and NOPE...No BF3 for YOU!! So just twiddling my thumbs here waiting for EA/Origin to fix these Activation issues.

En-ou

FlyinJ said:
This has happened to me about four times. No idea what the deal is. Are you playing on PC?

This happens to me when I'm using my 360 controller hooked up to my PC.
pretty sure this is intended. it's when you "overclock" your engine (forgot the correct name for it) and it overheats, you will stall. wait it out and then you will be ok.

i think this is it:

War emergency power
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

War Emergency Power (WEP) is an American term for the throttle setting on some World War II military aircraft engines. For use in emergency situations, it produced more than 100% of the engine's normal rated power for a limited amount of time, often about five minutes.[1][2] Similar systems used by non-US forces are now often referred to as WEP as well, although they may not have been at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_emergency_power

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
En-ou said:
pretty sure this is intended. it's when you "overclock" your engine (forgot the correct name for it) and it overheats, you will stall. wait it out and then you will be ok.

How do you "overclock" the engine? Can you do it just by holding in the right trigger and accelerating?

1stStrike

Banned
MrBig said:
Jets are fine. You can throttle down and fire the chaingun at infantry, kill a few jets with it, unlock AtA missiles, and then unlock guided/unguided AtG missiles for taking out armor.

You make it sound easy, but it's really not. At all. I've invested 4 or 5 hours into playing with jets today and I'm not even rank 2 yet. It's mostly futile unless you get lucky - and by now almost everyone has flares and heat seekers, so you're already at a huge disadvantage.

Trying to fly a helicopter without flares is also futile. I'm in one for all of 20 seconds and someone is already locking onto me - I don't even have a chance to try and level it up.

ShogunX

Obviously the point has already been made but just like to say I'm sick to fucking death of EA and their awful track record of games fucking up on launch day. Lots of people rushing out for a midnight launch only to be greeted with some server bullshit and no connection to EA.

It's unforgivable at this stage that games are still launching in this state especially one with a beta.

En-ou

FlyinJ said:
How do you "overclock" the engine? Can you do it just by holding in the right trigger and accelerating?
you just hold your accelerator all the way down, on my logitech stick, it's when i put the throttle lever to max

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Desaan said:
It's a good job they had the alpha/beta for stress and load testing isn't it? You can see where I'm going with this...
On the bright side, this is still the smoothest launch any Battlefield has had.

JB1981

Finally got into a decent game before. Wish I was playing with a more coordinated squad though :(

Lost connection to server and then could not reconnect. Will try again later .. I had fun while it lasted.

MrBig

1stStrike said:
You make it sound easy, but it's really not. At all. I've invested 4 or 5 hours into playing with jets today and I'm not even rank 2 yet. It's mostly futile unless you get lucky - and by now almost everyone has flares and heat seekers, so you're already at a huge disadvantage.
I guess you're right. I was able to unlock AtGs yesterday morning without much issue.

Makoto

1stStrike said:
Trying to fly a helicopter without flares is also futile. I'm in one for all of 20 seconds and someone is already locking onto me - I don't even have a chance to try and level it up.
I think choppers have it the worst. You fly high, you're exposed to jets. You fly low, you're exposed to tanks and heavy machine gun fire. At both altitudes, you're exposed to heatseeking missiles.

Smokey

Rapstah said:
Is there a single GPU out there that has 2 GB or more VRAM per core in it?

Yes.

msi 3gb lightning 580

dem sniper skills are picking up. i know i got some of you round here in the head. on firestorm i got 2 kills from clear across the map with the bullet drop. one was a headshot.

feelsgoodman

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The_Monk said:
Be advised, hope is increasing, massive awesomeness coming in my direction.

Target hit estimate below:

http://i.imgur.com/xW06Jl.jpg[IMG]

Over.

:D[/QUOTE]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kvBNv.jpg

Ovid

God does not want me to play this game. Tried to play Day 1, got home from work, installed game (took half an hour), servers down, went to sleep. Day 2, work then out with friends, got home and didn't have time to play. Tonight, Day 3, servers down again. FUCK!!!

Tom Penny

Single player is so shitty. There are sections were your better off rushing 10 guys than tactically taking them out or " don't go near that car " and a rocket hit you. Fucking lame. Also what is up with the dumb water looking effect on the screen all the time?

Must be lucky, haven't had a single issue with the game and it's been smooth as heck. The hit detection is great too, big step up from BC2.

Tom Penny said:
Single player is so shitty. There are sections were your better off rushing 10 guys than tactically taking them out or " don't go near that car " and a rocket hit you. Fucking lame. Also what is up with the dumb water looking effect on the screen all the time?

"tactically" hehe.

woober

Smokey said:
Yes.

msi 3gb lightning 580

dem sniper skills are picking up. i know i got some of you round here in the head. on firestorm i got 2 kills from clear across the map with the bullet drop. one was a headshot.

feelsgoodman

I got sniped by someone on Operation Firestorm on one of those poles. Only later, I came back in a tank and shot a shell straight at him Saving Private Ryan style. Awww yeahhhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom