• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ryuuga said:
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I didn't care for the jet mission either, but it seems to be one of the most-talked about scenarios. I'm largely underwhelmed by the campaign as is, so my playthrough was on and off.

The only thing I liked about the jet mission was the presentation. As a graphical show piece it takes the cake. As a game, not so much. It strips more control and interactivity away from the player than any other mission, to the point where it is, in essence, a rail shooter almost impossible to lose. Its the kind of thing I think of when someone says 'tech demo', as outside of demonstrating the power of rendering technology it did absolutely nothing for me.

Ryuuga

Banned
The training course/flight school idea is spectacular. I was about to create a thread about it over at the Battlelog, but the moment you attempt to make a new thread it shows you similar topics that have been made about it. (It'd be amazing if we had something like that here on GAF)

EDIT:

"As a graphical show piece it takes the cake. As a game, not so much. It strips more control and interactivity away from the player than any other mission, to the point where it is, in essence, a rail shooter almost impossible to lose." -EC

That was my take on the mission as well. It was a stunning showpiece without question, I just didn't care for the whole on-rails aspect where your actions are heavily dictated by the designer. That mission would've been an amazing opportunity for individuals to be able to practice flying one of few aircraft the game has to offer.

vpance

The only use of the campaign was to marvel at the graphics. I kept waiting for the level where I'd fly a jet or chopper. Graphics and sound though, top notch. The shootout in the forest with the massive gunfire echo was pretty epic feeling.

Choc

Banned
The jet mission is what they should have shown at E3 if they wanted to show not the FPS portion

seriously, would have blown us away

Haven't finished the campaign yet but yeah the jet mission was boring as. In singleplayer you get to sit in a jet for 5 minutes and do barely anything while in multiplayer you get to fly the damn thing. What's the point

The_Monk

DarkFlow83 said:
Your in for some problems. More then likely It's going to split you up between the teams for "balance". This happens to us all the time when us gaffers play together, hell it even does it between rounds.

That's one thing that I hope to get fixed.

I had the same problems with Medal of Honor, I just want to have fun with my friends so I would love to be really easy to get a party with them and then join a game.

Is there hope for they fix this or is it meant to be played like this to balance teams..? =/

The_Monk

Shadybiz said:
Agree 100% with what Darkflow83 said. I have a hell of a time getting on the same squad with friends. However, once you are on the same squad, it appears that you stay that way for the rest of your session (in my experience, anyway).

I have heard that this will be fixed in the next patch, but I have no link or anything; that was just word of mouth.

Thanks, I'm really hoping to get it fixed. The best experience for me is when I'm playing with 3-4 friends but if every time we try to play we get split up and need to quit, start over and try again in order for us to be on the same team it's going to be pretty bad for the experience itself.

vpance

EatChildren said:
The only thing I liked about the jet mission was the presentation. As a graphical show piece it takes the cake.

I replayed that jet mission for the preflight and takeoff a couple times. When the main theme song starts up it just feels right.

Graphically though on PC, FXAA really blurs too much if you set it to high. Turning it off or to low I felt I could spot things much better.

Choc

Banned
roosters93 said:
Haven't finished the campaign yet but yeah the jet mission was boring as. In singleplayer you get to sit in a jet for 5 minutes and do barely anything while in multiplayer you get to fly the damn thing. What's the point

you get to see how good the graphics can be :p

but yeah true.....

what about the tank mission though, pretty much the same

DICE needed to have the balls to bloody let us control the plane. Decisions like that make good games, awesome if done right

also i might be crazy, but the mission where you HELO, the music sure sounds like the pillar of autumn soundtrack from Halo

MrBig

BLU-82 said:
Has anyone unlocked smoke rounds for the mortar yet? Is it kills based and if so anyone know how many??
I thought they were unlocked automatically? I don't know if they actually are, but I'm able to use them and I never saw the unlock screen for them come up.
What is the attack order bonus you get while using the mortar, though?

Noaloha

100% in agreement with the cries for an offline tutuorial map for multiplayer. Didn't BF1943 have such a thing or am I dreaming that? I seem to remember one of islands was presented to you with a bunch of basic tasks to follow, delivered in brash sergeant voice-over, and a selection of vehicles in hangars to muck about with (tanks, fighter planes, etc).

Is it just me or does Origin lie about download speeds?

I've been dling the BF3 update at 250KB/s for the past 20 mins.

That's like twice my maximum download speed (1mbps). I computed my WAN utilization and it only shows approx 1mbps as well. Unless Windows is strangely doing false network utilization reports, this speed is a lie. : /

F#A#Oo

Banned
I just finished the campaign on Hard...

Wooo what a rush...the SP was not CoD in terms of action to action stuff but it had a some great moments and the evirnoments are all pretty great...

I don't think this can be stated enough but the audio and sounds in this game are AMAZING...really they are unmatched in my opinion...DICE has definately gone above and beyond the call in the audio dept...

Great job DICE...

Wolf Akela said:

That's like twice my maximum download speed (1mbps). I computed my WAN utilization and it only shows approx 1mbps as well. Unless Windows is strangely doing false network utilization reports, this speed is a lie. : /

Yes the same thing happened to me. But the download speed will return to normal after 30% or so.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
vpance said:
I replayed that jet mission for the preflight and takeoff a couple times. When the main theme song starts up it just feels right.

I thought it was pretty embarrassing to be honest. They were trying to make something epic that simply wasn't. What a horrible level. I can't express the fury and hatred I feel when I think that people actually enjoyed it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Darklord said:
Wtf is with all these infantry only servers? Do these people realize what game this is? It's not fucking CoD.
They don't want to deal with the vehicle unlock bullshit which is some of the greatest bullshit ever though up on a gameplay level.

Can't say I blame them. When playing a bit in the afternoon sans friends now I mainly stick to TDM because there is zero chance of rubberbanding (yay the netcode can handle 16p!), I don't have to deal with vehicle unlock bullshit or lack of teamplay, and while the spawns are shit the raw gunplay is fun.

Bumhead

Banned
Got to say I'm really, really enjoying this..

Excellent stuff so far and can't say I've had too many server issues. Just had an awesome game on Firestorm which has quickly become my favourite map so far (of the 3 I've played, at least), but it's VERY early days yet.

Loving this game, but..

To be completely honest..it doesnt feel like what I expected as BF3. It be a cool entry into the BFBC series but as a true BF game it just doesnt feel the same :(

So far I just feel BF2>BF3

Chaplain

Two things.

1. Regarding the lag control issue on PS3 - Setting the PS3's output setting to 1080i or 1080p only didn't do anything because the game will only run in 480p or 720p.

What did fix the lag issue is setting my Sony HDTV to GameMode (under advance settings in the display section). Once I did this, the game went from Killzone 2 control to Bad Company 2 control.

2. Is anyone playing the PS3 version on a HDTV that doesn't accept a 720p signal and will not upscale that signal?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I really want there to be a way for me to change my loadout within battlelog and not have to waste time in game trying to put together the best kit.

By the time I load into a new game I'm already the last one to spawn and all the vehicles are gone so I'm stuck running a marathon to an objective. Now add in tweaking my loadout and now I'm a good 2 or 3 minutes behind my team.

Rad-

Pkm said:
Loving this game, but..

To be completely honest..it doesnt feel like what I expected as BF3. It be a cool entry into the BFBC series but as a true BF game it just doesnt feel the same :(

So far I just feel BF2>BF3

This is more of a sequel to BC2 than BF2, I agree.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Make game is now running great, i forgot for pc games you have to go on servers with the lowest ping!

Goddam i'm getting slaughter man, holy shit

Lifes as a shorty shouldn't be so rough

1-D_FTW

Wolf Akela said:

You're probably right.

All those people giving Origin accolades for their speeds. LOL

When I downloaded BF3, I was getting 2.3MB/sec the entire time. I can temporarily turbo boost over 2MB, but my cap is 1.5MB (although it may have been recently changed to 1.7MB/sec. Haven't been paying attention, but I think it may have).

So, yeah, it was giving me a completely fictional number when I downloaded it.

EDIT: And others were marveling at how the more e-mails Origin sent (6 for most), the more it seemed to boost their internet speed. So it seems like a lot of people were "downloading" at beyond their maximum capacity.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
RbBrdMan said:
By the time I load into a new game I'm already the last one to spawn and all the vehicles are gone so I'm stuck running a marathon to an objective.

I've asked this before, but has DICE commented at all about the extremely long load times some people are experiencing? They were fine for me in the beta, but now I'm in the same exact situation you just described.

Rad- said:
This is more of a sequel to BC2 than BF2, I agree.

Did anyone really expect anything else though? We're not going to get another "real" Battlefield as long as the game is developed for multiple platforms and EA is never going to give up console money.

Not that I'm trashing the game, I think the MP is great and can't stop playing it.

1-D_FTW said:
You're probably right.

All those people giving Origin accolades for their speeds. LOL

When I downloaded BF3, I was getting 2.3MB/sec the entire time. I can temporarily turbo boost over 2MB, but my cap is 1.5MB (although it may have been recently changed to 1.7MB/sec. Haven't been paying attention, but I think it may have).

So, yeah, it was giving me a completely fictional number when I downloaded it.

EDIT: And others were marveling at how the more e-mails Origin sent (6 for most), the more it seemed to boost their internet speed. So it seems like a lot of people were "downloading" at beyond their maximum capacity.

Fake number doesn't change how fast it gets downloaded. Unless it doesn't actually download 11GB.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ysiadmihi said:
I've asked this before, but has DICE commented at all about the extremely long load times some people are experiencing? They were fine for me in the beta, but now I'm in the same exact situation you just described.

I know I loaded pretty quickly in the Beta also. For the beta I would spawn and see the countdown timer to when the match would start. Now I never see that. I wonder what has changed? Nothing on my side has.

CozMick

Banned
AuthenticM said:
That's what's holding me back. So fucking horrible. How can people tolerate that? There are thousands of people playing online on this console. I do not understand. I am not touching this game until after they've patched this shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P6MiSnTFgg

Holy shit, I'm playing on PS3 and that does not happen when I play.

I've been playing for 10 hours @ 1080p according to the game stats with a 2.02k/dr and the controls are beautiful :\

Chaplain

CozMick said:
Holy shit, I'm playing on PS3 and that does not happen when I play.

I've been playing for 10 hours @ 1080p according to the game stats with a 2.02k/dr and the controls are beautiful :\

I had the same problem until I set my tv to GameMode last night. Control lag disappeared and now the game plays just like BC2.

1-D_FTW

Metalmurphy said:
Fake number doesn't change how fast it gets downloaded. Unless it doesn't actually download 11GB.

No. But if you don't do the arithmatic, you'll be impressed by the shiny numbers and give them credit.

It took over 2 hours for me to download it. Just did the arithmetic. Had I been downloading at the purported 2.3MB/sec, it would have been about 1.5 hours.

So in the end it's meaningless. Max speed is max speed. But, still, some people constantly brag in the Steam thread about how much faster the Origin speeds are. If they're a complete fabrication, it's misleading and meaningless.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Zeppelin said:
God I hate Battlelog. It just launched me into campaign mode when I tried to join a server. And half of the time it doesn't launch anything, just a black screen.
Ya at this point as a game launcher server browser its a steaming pile of shit.
I tried to give it fair shake but it sucks.

I love the stats tracking ect thats all really cool and the webpage presentation is awesome,but it should just be accessible thru the origin overlay not a quit the game requirement as well like the steam overlay it should just use built in browser so you don't have to worry about browser compatibilities plugins ect.
cool idea but its implementation is just so poorly thought out.

meppi

Game Analyst said:
What did fix the lag issue is setting my Sony HDTV to GameMode (under advance settings in the display section). Once I did this, the game went from Killzone 2 control to Bad Company 2 control.
I sincerely doubt that.

Quite frankly if you haven't noticed that the tv was set in the wrong mode until now, I'm not sure your definition of input lag compares to mine. :-/

I'm playing on a plasma with any post-processing effects turned off and have always played like this.
It goes something like Killzone 2................Killzone 3.....BF3..........................Bad Company 2 as of right now when it comes to input lag.
Wether it's actual input lag in BF3 or they coded it like this to give a more "authentic" feel is an whole other matter.

But what still remains is the fact that BF3 right now controls no where near BC2 accuracy and instant smoothness, no matter what TV you're using.

I've had a lot of fun with the Amtrac. It seems a lot of people haven't got to grips with its grenade launcher yet, and don't know what to do with it, both fighting in and against it. I've had people clearly certain they couldn't be hit by it running (or even walking) about in the open firing small arms at me only to be rudely obliterated. Also had entire teams pretty much ignore me sitting in it stationary (no one EVER wants to drive the Amtrac) pulverising them for ages, or thinking they can just walk up the back of it with RPGs etc and be perfectly safe.

The best level I've found for Amtrac fun is that rush mission with the MCOMs on the hill. I had squads of snipers respawn on there again and again thinking they were safe behind the ridge, but of course the grenades arc over the top, which allowed me to rack up insane kills before anyone cared to stop me. Even better is that something there seems to cause physics oddness so half the people I kill that way fly a hundred feet up in the air when shot.

peetfeet

Game locked in the singleplayer and now i get a black screen when trying to carry on (load) my campaign, is my save fecked? :( (PS3)

ElyrionX

Uhh, I just unlocked the SV98 bolt action rifle. The fact that you have to go out of scope view after every shot means that in most situations you got to go for the head with your first shot. That makes it almost worthless compared to the semi-auto sniper rifles. The bolt action should one one-hit kill when you hit someone in the chest/head and two-hits to the limbs.

Why are sniper rifles so useless in this game?

JambiBum

mcrae said:
any impressions on the proximity scan for the jets?
It's not really worth it as you are moving too fast for it to be of use.

I just had a great game flying a jet on the island map. I made this guy go 0–18. Every time he would get into his jet to take off from the ship I would destroy him before he got away. The only time he got to fly was at the beginning of the match and when I left him alone to kill the helicopter.

Strummerjones said:
I've had a lot of fun with the Amtrac. It seems a lot of people haven't got to grips with its grenade launcher yet, and don't know what to do with it, both fighting in and against it. I've had people clearly certain they couldn't be hit by it running (or even walking) about in the open firing small arms at me only to be rudely obliterated. Also had entire teams pretty much ignore me sitting in it stationary (no one EVER wants to drive the Amtrac) pulverising them for ages, or thinking they can just walk up the back of it with RPGs etc and be perfectly safe.

The best level I've found for Amtrac fun is that rush mission with the MCOMs on the hill. I had squads of snipers respawn on there again and again thinking they were safe behind the ridge, but of course the grenades arc over the top, which allowed me to rack up insane kills before anyone cared to stop me. Even better is that something there seems to cause physics oddness so half the people I kill that way fly a hundred feet up in the air when shot.
What does it even look like? I always try to find it, but I never can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom