• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
AuthenticM said:
That's what's holding me back. So fucking horrible. How can people tolerate that? There are thousands of people playing online on this console. I do not understand. I am not touching this game until after they've patched this shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P6MiSnTFgg
Holy shit, how did that happen? That guy must have a ton of input lag on his set because it's nothing like that for me.

vpance

Ysiadmihi said:
I thought it was pretty embarrassing to be honest. They were trying to make something epic that simply wasn't. What a horrible level. I can't express the fury and hatred I feel when I think that people actually enjoyed it.

lol maybe so, but nonetheless it is what it is. Eye candy and eargasms. Though I wouldn't have said the same on anything less than max settings on a PC.

Aeonin

I'm getting so many random bugs on the PS3 version its so damn weird. One game I died and then my HUD disappeared for the rest of the game, not to mention respawn time was a lot longer for no reason. I hope they are looking into fixes and quick. Its damn fun when it works, but for me, it only works sometimes.

Are there any good deals around for the Limited Edition PC version? Amazon only has the standard edition now and Origin doesnt say which version it is that they are selling. I did just get the Halloween discount code email from EA but it says it is not valid for games that came out in the last 30 days.

Also, is EA using Digital River for this game? Are there download limits?

Rahk

ElyrionX said:
Uhh, I just unlocked the SV98 bolt action rifle. The fact that you have to go out of scope view after every shot means that in most situations you got to go for the head with your first shot. That makes it almost worthless compared to the semi-auto sniper rifles. The bolt action should one one-hit kill when you hit someone in the chest/head and two-hits to the limbs.

Why are sniper rifles so useless in this game?
Once you unlock the straight pull bolt you can stay in scope.

-Yeti said:
What does it even look like? I always try to find it, but I never can.

Erm, it's a kind of Big APC type thing. I just tried looking up pictures of it on google images, but the best thing I can find is this page on some Battlefield wiki which not very usefully only shows real life pictures of one. If you're the US you start with one on Kharg island rush in the bottom of the aircraft carrier with all the boats (I think you get one on all amphibous landing levels actually). It's slow as hell (shift makes it faster!) and the driver has no weapon (second seat is the gunner position), which means no one ever uses it once they get to land. It rips up infantry if you know how to use it and is passable against other armour. It has also loooads of hitpoints.

Dina

Now that most jets know that it only takes a flight upward to make stingers useless, it's become nigh impossible to take one down.

blanky

Strummerjones said:
I've had a lot of fun with the Amtrac. It seems a lot of people haven't got to grips with its grenade launcher yet, and don't know what to do with it, both fighting in and against it. I've had people clearly certain they couldn't be hit by it running (or even walking) about in the open firing small arms at me only to be rudely obliterated. Also had entire teams pretty much ignore me sitting in it stationary (no one EVER wants to drive the Amtrac) pulverising them for ages, or thinking they can just walk up the back of it with RPGs etc and be perfectly safe.

The best level I've found for Amtrac fun is that rush mission with the MCOMs on the hill. I had squads of snipers respawn on there again and again thinking they were safe behind the ridge, but of course the grenades arc over the top, which allowed me to rack up insane kills before anyone cared to stop me. Even better is that something there seems to cause physics oddness so half the people I kill that way fly a hundred feet up in the air when shot.

That thing is a beast. I racked up 19 kills in the first and only time I sat in it. It does take some adjusting to the aim of it, plus I think the server I played on had extra health but still that thing can do some serious damage if the opposing team does not attack.

Spl1nter

ElyrionX said:
Uhh, I just unlocked the SV98 bolt action rifle. The fact that you have to go out of scope view after every shot means that in most situations you got to go for the head with your first shot. That makes it almost worthless compared to the semi-auto sniper rifles. The bolt action should one one-hit kill when you hit someone in the chest/head and two-hits to the limbs.

There is an unlock which makes it so you dont have to unzoom (straight pull bolt). Need 60 kills with the sv98 to unlock it.

Darklord said:
Wtf is with all these infantry only servers? Do these people realize what game this is? It's not fucking CoD.

People want to play other classes and are sick of being forced to be the engineer because every level is so tank heavy.

Chaplain

meppi said:
But what still remains is the fact that BF3 right now controls no where near BC2 accuracy and instant smoothness, no matter what TV you're using.

BF3 is just as accurate once the lag is turned off. At least for me it is. This is coming from someone who has played BC2 non-stop since launch.

Mikey Jr.

My God I wish there was a jet only map so these noob fuckers would leave me alone.

I play rush only and I try to take it seriously and win. So I get on my mic and try to get randoms to listen. If I yell at them, it usually works. I don't yell at them for being bad, but for being stupid such as defending the A M-COM when it has already exploded. My God that pisses me off. Or my team trying to push on the enemy spawn and leaving ABSOLUTELY NO ONE to defend the M-COM's, so when a single enemy gets through, he has free range on the M-COM's.

But the worst is when someone gets in my squad, camps the jet, and goes 0-8 with the jet, effectively being completely worthless as a player. At that point I tell them to please get off the jets and let someone else do it.

This 12 year old gets on the mic and tells me "I'm trying to level up the jet". In a way I don't blame him, because the starter jet is so fucking crippled. But I really wish there was a jet only map, so these kinds of players could get on there, get some jet points, and then go back to playing normally.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What a buggy mess of shit this game is. Disabling origin in game allows me to actually load levels but all sorts of weird shit happens when I change settings or hit caps lock.

Contrast is jacked just like the older games. Anyway to mod this to make it realistic?

So how do people rank the maps?

Great:
Grand Bazaar, Caspian and Firestorm.

Good:
Kharg, Seine and Canals.

Bad:
Tehran, Damavand and Metro.

Overall I feel 9 maps is too little. 3 maps I don't like isn't too bad, but when it's 1/3 of the rotation it feels like I'm playing them a bit too much. If they had 12 or 15 maps at launch it would've been much better. December seems quite far away for the DLC at the moment.

Spl1nter

Foliorum Viridum said:
So how do people rank the maps?

Great:
Grand Bazaar, Caspian and Firestorm.

Good:
Kharg, Seine and Canals.

Bad:
Tehran, Damavand and Metro.

Overall I feel 9 maps is too little. 3 maps I don't like isn't too bad, but when it's 1/3 of the rotation it feels like I'm playing them a bit too much. If they had 12 or 15 maps at launch it would've been much better. December seems quite far away for the DLC at the moment.

Great:
Firestorm, Caspian, Kharg

Good:
Canals, Grand Bazaar

Bad:
Metro, Seine

I cannot really place Tehran since I cannot play it. Damavand I feel is in its own place. It could be a really good map if they changed the vehicles at main. 2 Transport Jeeps, 3 Scout Heli for each team. The outside areas of the tunnels are actually really nice.

Victrix

*beard*
Tehran is fun, other than the current stuttering bug

Damavand is bizarre, I don't know why they think a linear battle map like that is fun. It's not totally awful as long as you can heli over and airdrop to backsteal a point though. Make that your priority and you spend little time fighting in the tunnels.

Metro is pure distilled shit.

ElyrionX said:

because if they were good, everybody would play sniper like bfbc.

Divius

&Divius said:
So my bro just bought a digital copy of BF3 but his internet isn't very fast and the ETA is 7 hours.. Any way I can give him my files via a USB and he'll be able to play them?
This worked!

So we just played through the co-op without too much trouble and it was fun. On the last mission I failed because of the sudden
QTE
which I didn't see coming :\ We'll try that again after diner.

The co-op is pretty sweet, it offers some variation although I hoped there would be a plane mission as well. That, or in the SP.

meppi said:
I sincerely doubt that.

Quite frankly if you haven't noticed that the tv was set in the wrong mode until now, I'm not sure your definition of input lag compares to mine. :-/

I'm playing on a plasma with any post-processing effects turned off and have always played like this.
It goes something like Killzone 2................Killzone 3.....BF3..........................Bad Company 2 as of right now when it comes to input lag.
Wether it's actual input lag in BF3 or they coded it like this to give a more "authentic" feel is an whole other matter.

But what still remains is the fact that BF3 right now controls no where near BC2 accuracy and instant smoothness, no matter what TV you're using.

Placebo effect.

Victrix said:
Damavand is bizarre, I don't know why they think a linear battle map like that is fun. It's not totally awful as long as you can heli over and airdrop to backsteal a point though. Make that your priority and you spend little time fighting in the tunnels.
This is what I do. Nick the chopper, fly over, jump out and land on a control point so we can spawn both sides.

It could be a really good map if the focus was more on the outside areas than the tunnel.

cametall

ElyrionX said:

I have almost zero experience with sniper rifles in BF3, but in previous BF games if you held the aim button (key) down you would stay in scope. Once released the rifle would reload (bolt action).

Did DICE do away with this?

Divius

cametall said:
I have almost zero experience with sniper rifles in BF3, but in previous BF games if you held the aim button (key) down you would stay in scope. Once released the rifle would reload (bolt action).

Did DICE do away with this?
Nope, it's still there. Pretty nice, especially for long range sniping so you can see where the bullet hits and adjust after that.

Don't see what's wrong with Tehran, tons of space and multiple fronts due to the elevation. Only issue is the lag. Also Seine is fantastic with balanced teams.

Spokker

I wish the map size would stay the same between spawns. What I mean is when you press N to change the map size, it should stay that way.

Red Blaster said:
Don't see what's wrong with Tehran, tons of space and multiple fronts due to the elevation. Only issue is the lag. Also Seine is fantastic with balanced teams.
There's nothing "wrong" with it as such, I just don't like it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
MNC said:
I'm scared that vehicles might just be entirely useless :( Javelin and stinger missiles *shakes fist*
Considering a tank dodge one of the Jav just by moving, and Stingers are easily dodged I wouldn't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom