• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foliorum Viridum said:
So how do people rank the maps?

Great:
Grand Bazaar, Caspian and Firestorm.

Good:
Kharg, Seine and Canals.

Bad:
Tehran, Damavand and Metro.

Overall I feel 9 maps is too little. 3 maps I don't like isn't too bad, but when it's 1/3 of the rotation it feels like I'm playing them a bit too much. If they had 12 or 15 maps at launch it would've been much better. December seems quite far away for the DLC at the moment.

should of focused on more maps on the excellent MP instead of the campaign, oh well. Lesson learned DICE.

engineers. why did they include any other class in the game if they gave everything worthwhile to them? they should get pistols only with all the stuff they are able to do. They also need an overheat on their repair tool, I have literally been able to heal my tank faster then somebody shooting their RPGs at me over and over. You can litterally wait them out until they are out of ammo, jump back in, and kill em.

Makoto

Nostalgia~4ever said:
should of focused on more maps on the excellent MP instead of the campaign, oh well. Lesson learned DICE.
This is worst part, I bet they've learned nothing from this and will do the same in the next iteration.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
I don't see why you can't have more maps and focus on SP. CoD does, afterall, albeit smaller ones.

I think the issue is making maps that can host Rush and CQ. That's probably the hard part and as some maps show it doesn't really work in the end.

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
Good god I finally got my hands on the mobile AA on nosehair canals and proceeded to get the first 3 unlocks in one round. That thing tears through infantry pretty well, and for once the other team was not entirely made up of engineers so nobody tried to take me down. Pretty awesome.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Foliorum Viridum said:

Great:

Good:
Kharg, Seine and Canals.

Bad:

Overall I feel 9 maps is too little. 3 maps I don't like isn't too bad, but when it's 1/3 of the rotation it feels like I'm playing them a bit too much. If they had 12 or 15 maps at launch it would've been much better. December seems quite far away for the DLC at the moment.

I'm pretty flexible with map quality, in terms of capture points, and really only have one condition; open areas that allow multiple approaches and tactics. Based on that requirement I'm always happy to play the shit out of Caspian, Firestorm, Bazaar and Karg.

Metro and Damavand can fuck off though. I only want to play large scale conquest, and those two maps stink for that. Tehran, Canals and Seine I've probably played once each, so they're a grey spot in my memory. I'll have to give them another try.

Caspian and Firestorm are definitely my favourites though.

mujun

Loving this game. Feels like a return to the MP in Bad Company 1 which I loved. Didn't like BC2 much at all.

Maps are huge, looks great and plays nice.

Also really enjoying the SP campaign. Not the best FPS campaign I've ever played but is much better than I expected after reading a lot of reviews and is much better imo than a COD campaign.

Just finished the plane mission and I can't lie, the opening section when you first come under attack was phenomenal and I felt like I was in Top Gun. I found it bizarre that they made a big deal of checking the flaps yet they don't move at all during the actual flight which sucked.

I don't know what the fuck's up with Metro, but when starting Conquest from the Platform end, my team always loses, and we always win starting from the Cafe. It just seems so much easier to get to the middle point from the Cafe end before the other team. Infuriating.

derFeef

Foliorum Viridum said:

Great:

Good:
Kharg, Seine and Canals.

Bad:

Great:
Firestorm, Caspian, Kharg,

Good
Canals, Tehran

Bad:
Damavand, Seine

Pure Crap:
Grand Bazaar, Metro

Why do people think Bazaar is great? Don't get me wrong, I would love a more infantry based map, but cramping 64 people in a small areas with tight spaces like the corridors is just... ugh.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Can a single card in the ATI 6400 series run this game? I know its in the "minimum requirement" but it seems to mention you will need a 2nd video card? Or am i reading this wrong?

MrBig

Foliorum Viridum said:

Great:

Good:
Kharg, Seine and Canals.

Bad:

In order of preference
Conquest: Caspian, Bazaar, Firestorm, Canals, Seine, Damavand, Kharg, Tehran, Metro
Rush: Damavand, Caspian, Kharg, Bazaar, Metro, Canals, Firestorm, Tehran, Seine

EatChildren said:
I'm pretty flexible with map quality, in terms of capture points, and really only have one condition; open areas that allow multiple approaches and tactics. Based on that requirement I'm always happy to play the shit out of Caspian, Firestorm, Bazaar and Karg.

Metro and Damavand can fuck off though. I only want to play large scale conquest, and those two maps stink for that. Tehran, Canals and Seine I've probably played once each, so they're a grey spot in my memory. I'll have to give them another try.

yeah caspian and firestorm are awesome. I am loving Kharg island also.

Wthermans

Banned
KingOfKong said:
engineers. why did they include any other class in the game if they gave everything worthwhile to them? they should get pistols only with all the stuff they are able to do. They also need an overheat on their repair tool, I have literally been able to heal my tank faster then somebody shooting their RPGs at me over and over. You can litterally wait them out until they are out of ammo, jump back in, and kill em.

Repair tool does have a cooldown. Both on the EOD Bot and the standard Torch. Torch does about 50% repair before overheating (similar to BC2), EOD Bot seems to top out around 75%. Haven't done any closed testing, but this is after playing as a straight Maintenance Engi for almost 20 hours.

derFeef said:
Why do people think Bazaar is great? Don't get me wrong, I would love a more infantry based map, but cramping 64 people in a small areas with tight spaces like the corridors is just... ugh.
I love the mix of infantry and road vehicles. You can run through the market, engage in a huge firefight in the alley or go through some of the back streets to get to the points. On the other hand, you can jump in a vehicle, roll through the streets and have some great vehicle/vehicle or vehicle/infantry battles. Not to many there are lots of places to hide with an RPG or place mines which means you have to be really careful.

I've never had a bad game on it yet and I really doubt I will. It's by far my favourite map.

EatChildren said:

You clearly don't know how awesome is dozen of engineers spamming misiles on the center flag of the map in Metro. It's so raw and crude, no strategy just pure madness, somehow I liked it.

Bazaar surprisingly works even if it's infantry based.

Need to play more before I judge some maps, because the difference between Rush versions and CQ versions are quite big. (Need to play more Demavand but rush version looks fun).

derFeef

Foliorum Viridum said:
I love the mix of infantry and road vehicles. You can run through the market, engage in a huge firefight in the alley or go through some of the back streets to get to the points. On the other hand, you can jump in a vehicle, roll through the streets and have some great vehicle/vehicle or vehicle/infantry battles. Not to many there are lots of places to hide with an RPG or place mines which means you have to be really careful.

I've never had a bad game on it yet and I really doubt I will. It's by far my favourite map.

I gues it does not fit my playstyle. It's all straight lines, even the veicle stuff. Drive forward or back, that's it. You can get large amounts of points though, throwing medkits and ammo packs into the pileups :p

Enkidu

mujun said:
Maps are huge, looks great and plays nice.
My main problem with the game is that the maps are too small. They might technically be big, I really don't know how they compare to BF2, but many of them feel really small. They are clearly designed around 24 players which is just such a damn shame. How about you make a great game first, and then try and figure out how to make it work on consoles, Dice?

derFeef said:
I gues it does not fit my playstyle. It's all straight lines, even the veicle stuff. Drive forward or back, that's it. You can get large amounts of points though, throwing medkits and ammo packs into the pileups :p
I think it does support my play style greatly, coming from CoD and being a sneaky fucker with mines. :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nostalgia~4ever said:
yeah caspian and firestorm are awesome. I am loving Kharg island also.

I only recently started getting into Kharg and yeah, it's great, even if some rounds end make me rage due to all the bloody snipers :lol.

Relaxed Muscle said:
You clearly don't know how awesome is dozen of engineers spamming misiles on the center flag of the map in Metro. It's so raw and crude, no strategy just pure madness, somehow I liked it.

Bazaar surprisingly works even if it's infantry based.

I will admit there is a strange, chaotic thrill to the carnage of 64 player Metro/Damavand. Rocket spam, sniper camping, grenades flying every which way. I guess they're great maps to rack up points, as there's always someone to heal, revive, kill, explode, or feed ammo.

And yeah, I actually really like Bazaar on 64 player conquest. Its a smallish map, but unlike Metro/Damavand all the big areas are nicely sectioned off with multiple paths leading between one another. I find that even with the dense player count it rarely devolves into bottlenecks.

ElyrionX

cametall said:
I have almost zero experience with sniper rifles in BF3, but in previous BF games if you held the aim button (key) down you would stay in scope. Once released the rifle would reload (bolt action).

Did DICE do away with this?

Actually, if you're in scope and you fire, you will continue to remain in scope until you hit fire again and then you will be taken out of scope view to cock the rifle. Once that finishes, you need to right click again to go back into scope view. It's a giant pain in the ass.

The lack of one hit kill weapons plus the ridiculous scope glint gimps the whole damn class. If they had something like C4 that would make them a slightly more versatile, then at least the recon class would have some incentive to get close to the action (to help disable enemy armour and earn points). But as it is, going for objectives as a recon class offers very very poor risk-reward.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Didn't see any response, so I'll ask again. Are the Centurion C-RAM and Russian equivalent supposed to be useless at anything beyond close range? I know the VADS and ZU-23-2 were relatively accurate even halfway across the map if you had a clear line of sight in BC2, but sometimes it seems that I can't even hit a plane that's flying directly at me and within 500 meters.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
DarkoMaledictus said:
Only on good teams... otherwise its a capsize and you can always use smoke. + planes laugh at everything...
Stingers are utterly useless. I don't understand why jets get so many fucking flares. My bud and i were trying to shoot someone down for 8 minutes last night. Flares zapped all of our missiles.

Love the game, but the graphics are annoyingly mediocre. That probably says more about the state of consoles than anything else, but it's still disappointing.

So, I'm a support kind of guy. And maybe this has been brought up already, I haven't the time to go through the thread and read back, but anyway, here I am with my baby PkP with the extended mag with a sweet 200 rounds right? So, I'm shooting away with(with out my bipod) and I notice something, I'm not having to fight against recoil after a certain amount of shots. So I do a little bit of testing, It seems that after about 15/20 shots the gun stops recoiling period. No recoil what so ever. Keep in mind that you do have to be holding down the trigger constantly, no burst. But I'm the kind of guy who lets 200 rounds rip down a hallway with out care anyway, so this works out perfectly for me! Just thought I share my little discovery, If it hasn't been discovered already

MrBig

kingofthedead45 said:
So, I'm a support kind of guy. And maybe this has been brought up already, I haven't the time to go through the thread and read back, but anyway, here I am with my baby PkP with the extended mag with a sweet 200 rounds right? So, I'm shooting away with(with out my bipod) and I notice something, I'm not having to fight against recoil after a certain amount of shots. So I do a little bit of testing, It seems that after about 15/20 shots the gun stops recoiling period. No recoil what so ever. Keep in mind that you do have to be holding down the trigger constantly, no burst. But I'm the kind of guy who lets 200 rounds rip down a hallway with out care anyway, so this works out perfectly for me! Just thought I share my little discovery, If it hasn't been discovered already
That has been in since BC2 iirc

eek5

kingofthedead45 said:
So, I'm a support kind of guy. And maybe this has been brought up already, I haven't the time to go through the thread and read back, but anyway, here I am with my baby PkP with the extended mag with a sweet 200 rounds right? So, I'm shooting away with out my bipod and I notice something, I'm not having to fight against recoil after a certain amount of shots. So I do a little bit of testing, It seems that after about 15/20 shots the gun stops recoiling period. No recoil what so ever. Keep in mind that you do have to be holding down the trigger constantly, no burst. But I'm the kind of guy who lets 200 rounds rip down a hallway with out care anyway, so this works out perfectly for me! Just thought I share my little discovery, If it hasn't been discovered already
I mainly play support as well. I've been spraying a LOT..

rTeJ8.png

:lol

Although there is no visual recoil on full auto (I am still making adjustments on the M249, I think) I don't think the bullets are travelling where the sights are. I think the spread increases a lot at that point and the only way I kill people full auto is by sweeping over them rather than just aiming and letting loose. Either way, I can't wait until I unlock my suppression perk or whatever.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
dmg04 said:
Stingers are utterly useless. I don't understand why jets get so many fucking flares. My bud and i were trying to shoot someone down for 8 minutes last night. Flares zapped all of our missiles.

Yeah planes are broken... only way to kill a plane is another plane or a bad pilot ;p.

Zeppelin

Foliorum Viridum said:

Great:
Grand Bazaar, Caspian

Good:
Seine, Firestorm

Decent:
Tehran, Kharg

Lulz:
Damavand, Metro

Disgusting:
Canals

I hate Canals. I haven't found one spot on that map that I like.

kitch9

Banned
DarkoMaledictus said:
Yeah planes are broken... only way to kill a plane is another plane or a bad pilot ;p.

As a pilot I can say the homing missiles on the LAV or its minigun can drop you in seconds.

MrBig

dmg04 said:
Try using mobile AA, or any HMG on a vehicle if you need to kill them from the ground.

EatChildren

dmg04 said:

I only use them to take down choppers. Works a treat, but that's it. Against jets they are utter garbage. I think I've hit one once maybe.

Since they're only really useful against choppers there's not much point using them at all unless its a heli heavy map. I do okay with them on Firestorm, but meh. Tanks are bigger fish to fry, so you might as well use the vanilla rockets.

Darklord

Banned
Zeppelin said:
Great:
Grand Bazaar, Caspian

Good:
Seine, Firestorm

Decent:
Tehran, Kharg

Lulz:
Damavand, Metro

Disgusting:
Canals

I hate Canals. I haven't found one spot on that map that I like.

Best:
Caspian, Firestorm

Good:
Tehran, Kharg

Alright:
Seine, Damavand, Metro., Grand Bazaar

Boring:
First stage of Metro, Canals

This game needs more BF arse BF maps. More caspian, more firestorm.

RaPt[+]R

Neo Member
Spokker said:
I wish the map size would stay the same between spawns. What I mean is when you press N to change the map size, it should stay that way.

Yes, I totally agree. The map size thing is ridiculous. Also, If I enlarge my map, it should STAY enlarged and not minimize the next time I respawn. Really annoying to have to maximize my map and change zoom levels every time I respawn (if I wish to do so).

Please fix this, DICE! Most everything else is great.

MrBig said:
Try using mobile AA, or any HMG on a vehicle if you need to kill them from the ground.

He might have more luck spitting from the ground like he was a fucking yama, because I'm sure it would do more damage than using the HMG.

redhot_

DarkoMaledictus said:

The heat seekers on the choppers let you shoot 2, So if you got a good lock on a jet you can fire one to get them to use the flares, and the other to damage or destroy him. Works like a charm.

randomwab

Sigma Storm said:
Who ever thought conquest in a tunnel (Damavand Peak) was a good idea should be fired.

Naw son, naw. Conquest is fantastic on Damavand Peak, mainly due to the corridors on each side of the tunnel. Balances it way more than Conquest on Metro, which really is awful and broken.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Stingers could do with being a little stronger, or planes/helis need a limited number of flares and need to land re-supply.
randomwab said:
Naw son, naw. Conquest is fantastic on Damavand Peak, mainly due to the corridors on each side of the tunnel. Balances it way more than Conquest on Metro, which really is awful and broken.
No it's terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom