• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG Kush

Anyone know how to find out what my EA origin email is? I put in Bf3 and it never had the EA sign in page so I don't know what Email is linked to my gamertag. This means I can't log into battlelog. Whats even more fucked up is that you can't link gamertags through the EA website. So fucking annoyingn.
But whats more annoying is all the frickin unlocks. I have to play 2 hours just to get a Red dot sight on just ONE weapon?!

derFeef said:
Great:
Firestorm, Caspian, Kharg,

Good
Canals, Tehran

Bad:
Damavand, Seine

Pure Crap:
Grand Bazaar, Metro

Why do people think Bazaar is great? Don't get me wrong, I would love a more infantry based map, but cramping 64 people in a small areas with tight spaces like the corridors is just... ugh.

pro-tip: you don't always have to play on a 64 player server. in fact the lower pop servers are a lot better in every way.

randomwab said:
Naw son, naw. Conquest is fantastic on Damavand Peak, mainly due to the corridors on each side of the tunnel. Balances it way more than Conquest on Metro, which really is awful and broken.

Seriously? they are so narrow and without any escapes that the first support/enginner that arrives on both of them will easily rack up kills and will make the map for the other team a nightmare.

It's terribad, worst BF map I played.

Ikuu said:
Stingers could do with being a little stronger, or planes/helis need a limited number of flares and need to land re-supply.

Just make the cooldown times higher.

ElyrionX

The engineer is a ridiculous class. It gets an RPG AND an assault rifle? WTF? They should make engineers SMG + RPG to make it more balanced, just like how it was in previous Battlefields. Plus the rate of repair of engineers is downright ridiculous. It only takes one or two engineer to make a tank/APC almost completely invulnerable.

dmg04 said:
Stingers are utterly useless. I don't understand why jets get so many fucking flares. My bud and i were trying to shoot someone down for 8 minutes last night. Flares zapped all of our missiles.

Don't shoot as soon as you lock. Many many pilots are stupid enough to launch flares after just being locked on for a bit.

ElyrionX

Metalmurphy said:
Don't shoot as soon as you lock. Many many pilots are stupid enough to launch flares after just being locked on for a bit.

Sure but eventually they're going to get smarter. I have the homing missiles unlocked for the mobile AA and it was completely useless against good pilots. The problem is that even after you fire a second missile after he shoots his flares to deflect your first missile, the second missile will still get countered by the flares that are still in the sky. Wait too long and the jet will likely fly out of your range.

Rad-

Tehran is a shit shit map. At least on consoles. Every single match in that map is a lagfest. How the fuck did this get by Dice playtesting?

ElyrionX said:
The engineer is a ridiculous class. It gets an RPG AND an assault rifle? WTF? They should make engineers SMG + RPG to make it more balanced, just like how it was in previous Battlefields. Plus the rate of repair of engineers is downright ridiculous. It only takes one or two engineer to make a tank/APC almost completely invulnerable.

All the automatic engineer guns are horribly inaccurate long range. I agree though that the repair rate is crazy fast. One engineer behind a tank can repair a tank faster than a missile can damage it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Rad- said:
All the automatic engineer guns are horribly inaccurate long range. I agree though that the repair rate is crazy fast. One engineer behind a tank can repair a tank faster than a missile can damage it.
The problem is the vast majority of combat is at a range where the accuracy isn't an issue, you can also pick people off from a decent range with it. They should be using the PWD/Shotguns, but they gave them to everyone so they can't do that.

ElyrionX said:
Sure but eventually they're going to get smarter. I have the homing missiles unlocked for the mobile AA and it was completely useless against good pilots. The problem is that even after you fire a second missile after he shoots his flares to deflect your first missile, the second missile will still get countered by the flares that are still in the sky. Wait too long and the jet will likely fly out of your range.

But the AA guns are freaking deadly. Couple of hits is all it takes to disable a plane. Also the second missile does not get lost in the flares if there's a second lock. When flares are launched the lock is lost, re-lock and fire. It'll hit.

Zeppelin said:
Great:
Grand Bazaar, Caspian

Good:
Kharg, Firestorm

Decent:
Tehran, Seine

Lulz:
Damavand, Metro

Disgusting:
Canals

I hate Canals. I haven't found one spot on that map that I like.

Great:
Firestorm, Caspian

Good:
Damavand, Kharg

Decent:
Tehran, Grand Bazaar,Canals

Disgusting:
Metro

Meh:
Seine

That is how I rate the maps.

Arucardo

Whoever said the co-op missions are lame is crazy. I just played through 4 of them and they were AWESOME! Finished the campaign too and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Basically wasted all day on this game, I think I've played like 7 hours of online too :| .

Oh shit, I just realized I've almost played this for 12 hours today (I'll probably play some more...).

GodofWine

DryvBy2 said:
Any reason Hardcore modes on PS3 are empty?

Probably something going on in server land...like the other night, it said there were only 20 servers total in the US (500 people playing +/-)...hopefully they are crawling around trying to make the squad system actually be a squad system.

wwm0nkey

Arucardo said:
Whoever said the co-op missions are lame is crazy. I just played through 4 of them and they were AWESOME! Finished the campaign too and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Basically wasted all day on this game, I think I've played like 7 hours of online too :| .

Oh shit, I just realized I've almost played this for 12 hours today (I'll probably play some more...).
The last 4 are the best and just those four missions beat the entire single player. Hell Hit and Run by itself beats the entire single player.

Good:
Seine, Canals, Kharg, Firestorm

Decent:
Tehran, Grand Bazaar

Meh:
Damavand

Just fucking delete it and pretend it never happened:
Metro

Yes I like canals. :(

Man, I'm mean. If you get in the AA gun and shoot friendly helicopters as they're taking off, they'll pretty much flip upside down and crash.

I did this for an entire match on Caspian Border. I regret nothing, but I probably won't do it again haha.

1-D_FTW

Arucardo said:

What exactly are the unlocks? I'd like to get some new guns. Anything worthwhile?

-Yeti said:
Man, I'm mean. If you get in the AA gun and shoot friendly helicopters as they're taking off, they'll pretty much flip upside down and crash.

I did this for an entire match on Caspian Border. I regret nothing, but I probably won't do it again haha.

Just don't do it on the GAF server and you'll be peachy keen.
grin.gif

hlhbk

Is there anyway to play BF3 with the Steam overlay on it? I have added BF3 to my steam list as a non steam game, but when the game launches I don't see the overlay.

see5harp

Holy shit the scripting in the campaign is beyond terrible. It's hard to believe any QA employee actually played this game before gold. 3 hard locks now.

Zeppelin said:
Great:
Grand Bazaar, Caspian

Good:
Seine, Firestorm

Decent:
Tehran, Kharg

Lulz:
Damavand, Metro

Disgusting:
Canals

I hate Canals. I haven't found one spot on that map that I like.

This is very close to my ranking of the maps too. Canals really is pretty lame.

1-D_FTW

snack said:
I know this is a stupid question... but I always suicide when I try parachuting. Any help? I spam space bar too.

Haha. I spam the spacebar and the screen continues to flash SPACEBAR to open parachute. It's a real joy to do.

snack said:
I know this is a stupid question... but I always suicide when I try parachuting. Any help? I spam space bar too.

I want help on this too. Trying to open the parachute 3-5 secs from the ground is a pain in the ass

Arucardo

1-D_FTW said:
What exactly are the unlocks? I'd like to get some new guns. Anything worthwhile?
First unlock is the REX revolver, last is G3A3, not sure which order the SG553 (carbine for engineer) and KH2002 (assault rifle) are in. Also, there's another sniper rifle for the recon class.

mcrae

hlhbk said:
Is there anyway to play BF3 with the Steam overlay on it? I have added BF3 to my steam list as a non steam game, but when the game launches I don't see the overlay.

i dont use steam, but i think i read somewhere in this thread that you can add origin as a non-steam game, then launch from there, and then you get the overlay. dunno how it all works

DrBo42

The ATG missile on the jets is so disappointing. All I can do is maybe disable a tank? I want a kill god damn it. I become completely vulnerable in that weapon mode, a possible 100 points is the trade-off?

Dina

kitch9 said:
As a pilot I can say the homing missiles on the LAV or its minigun can drop you in seconds.

If you're getting dropped by the minigun, you're too close or flying at him in a straight line. If you're getting dropped by a stinger, fly up.

You can reset the fight anytime you want.

redhot_ said:
The heat seekers on the choppers let you shoot 2, So if you got a good lock on a jet you can fire one to get them to use the flares, and the other to damage or destroy him. Works like a charm.

A chopper is usually below a plane. Targeting an air-target requires you to be level or above the plane. You're also a sitting duck. Planes are good versus choppers, the other way around not so much.

snack said:
I think it just doesn't come out until you've been falling for a certain amount of time. It makes sense but it's really annoying because I'm used to BF:BC2 where you could use it on any drop that would give you fall damage. It was kind of dumb but it made the game more fun.

Dina

Arucardo said:
First unlock is the REX revolver, last is G3A3, not sure which order the SG553 (carbine for engineer) and KH2002 (assault rifle) are in. Also, there's another sniper rifle for the recon class.

REX -> KH2002 -> something -> something -> SG552 -> G3A3

Nelo Ice

Banned
hlhbk said:

Turn off origin in game and then launch the origin.exe through steam.

DrBo42 said:
The ATG missile on the jets is so disappointing. All I can do is maybe disable a tank? I want a kill god damn it. I become completely vulnerable in that weapon mode, a possible 100 points is the trade-off?

1 hit for jeeps, 2/3 hits for AAs, 3/4 hits for tanks.

I've gotten used to it now, I can get quite a few kills if theres no one else bothering me. Which is rare.

Also don't forget this is gonna get more powerful once people start laser targeting vehicles. You can lock on from greater distances that way.

hlhbk

mcrae said:
i dont use steam, but i think i read somewhere in this thread that you can add origin as a non-steam game, then launch from there, and then you get the overlay. dunno how it all works

Generally that is how it works, but when you launch BF3 as a non steam game it opens battlelog, so the overlay never loads.

My map rankings. I only play 64 player conquest.

Actual Battlefield maps, and thus awesome maps:
Operation Firestorm, Caspian Border

Good Bad Company style maps:
Tehran Highway, Canals, Kharg Island

Maps that my experience varies on:
Damavand Peak, Grand Bazaar

Why do these exist?:
Operation Metro, Seine Crossing

I'm super disappointed at the lack of a true Battlefield feel in this game, and I have a feeling I'm going to be even more disappointed when Back to Karkand releases. Guaranteed Strike at Karkand will have only five capture points with the right side CP being out of bounds.

DICE, you've had a perfect formula since your very first Battlefield game. I have no idea why you're condensing maps so much. Half the fun in a Battlefield game is moving out with a few dudes and capping points outside of major firefights. I miss the wide open spaces so much, and for fuck's sake, THERE CAN BE MORE THAN FIVE CAPTURE POINTS.

Even with that massive gripe, I'm still enjoying the game.

hlhbk said:
Generally that is how it works, but when you launch BF3 as a non steam game it opens battlelog, so the overlay never loads.

If you add origin.exe, and launch origin from steam (make sure origin is closed), then it works. It'll all be in the same process tree. Steam > Origin > Browser > Game.

But I've gotten some freezes one some steam popups.

1-D_FTW

Oh, shit, mission 2 in co-op is helicopters.

Anyone want to play a little with me? I joined a public game, but quit because I felt bad about quickly crashing 4 times with the poor bastard who joined me.

F#A#Oo

Banned
If anyone wants to do some co-op missions hit me up on PSN: MrAffluenza.

Public games have people disconnecting on me. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom