• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I H8 Memes said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32244012&postcount=496

Probably from the recent Der Spiegel article on The kinds of stuff that Origin does. Highly highly illegal in Germany where there are actual laws that protect consumers. There was a translation of the article posted on GAF a couple of days ago but I cant find it now.
Hmm, it seems to be checking every file in ProgramData and ProgramData (x86).

My guess would be that it is trying to find out what games you own.

ElyrionX

Smokey said:
Just keep practicing. I'm assuming you don't have the 12x scope unlocked yet? That made it much easier for me. Make sure you hold SHIFT in while under the scope to hold your breath. At distance aim higher than the target to account for bullet drop. Head shot is 1 kill, SV98 is 2 body shots, and the MK11 may be 2 or 3 I'm not sure.

When you say "struggling", what do you mean?

Thanks for the tips. I do use shift and I do account for bullet drop as well. A few things I'm struggling with actually.

My biggest problem is the kind of playstyle required with bolt action rifles compared to semi-autos and how to rack up points. If you're carrying the SV98 as a recon, do you head into the thick of the action or spawn somewhere far away so you can find a nice spot to snipe from? How often do you move from spots to spots? After a kill or two? Or only when you start getting fired upon?

Do you also go for objectives? I find trying to grab flags as recon especially difficult when you're carrying the SV98. With the semi-autos, at least you've got a decent fighting chance at close range but with the SV98, you're as good as dead meeting any other class head on. Without going for flags, what other ways are there to earn points besides killing? The proximity sensor and spawn beacons are extremely limited in their usages.

The other problem I have is that at medium range, I keep getting owned by other classes. Usually, it's because they spot me first which I attribute primarily to the scope glint.

Another issue is foliage. I tend to use foliage to my advantage to hide my silhouette but I just realized that there is a video option to lower the amount of terrain "visual decoration". I just set it to low and will test it in a bit but I wonder if this lowers the amount of foliage on the maps, meaning that players with lower video settings will see me in places where I previously believed I was concealed by the vegetation.

Spokker

Nirolak said:
My guess would be that it is trying to find out what games you own.
My guess is that EA's next title, then, will be a hentai adventure game.
LiquidMetal14 said:
It looks really good, I will say that. The lighting and such really sells a lot of the imagery.
Lighting and shadows. The smoke casts shadows and doesn't clip into the ground, light bounces off interiors and off of smoke. It's really incredible.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
1stStrike said:
Man, I've completely lost my interest in dog fighting. It's like - just leave me alone so I can shoot at shit on the ground and help my team out. Everyone wants to be a fucking rockstar fighter pilot, though, and spend 10 minutes dog fighting with you in the sky.

Get the latest off http://tweakforce.com - I've been using them for a while with no problems.
Dogfighting is a lot of fun. Not a good way to get points though, unless you're godlike with the cannon or the server is full of noobs with no flares. I wonder how they're gonna buff the jets, because some people are already scary good with the things.

1stStrike

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Dogfighting is a lot of fun. Not a good way to get points though, unless you're godlike with the cannon or the server is full of noobs with no flares. I wonder how they're gonna buff the jets, because some people are already scary good with the things.

I've started using AA just to fuck with them. It's amazing how fast they drop lol. This guy flew near me and within 2 seconds he was disabled. He popped his flares lol.

It's like, THAT AIN'T GONNA HELP YA, BITCH
KuGsj.gif

I think dog fighting is a waste of time. I'm a point whore, so when I go through an entire game and get 1/3 the points that I would on the ground because I had to waste time fighting people in the sky it annoys the shit out of me.

iam220 said:
Wait, what?!

Do you have a link to those posts?

I posted about that, too. The media and the users here in Germany are very upset. Some even demand a sales ban for the PC Version. Here are some links in German

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/netzpolitik/0,1518,794600,00.html

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/battl...e_zur_eula_von_ea_origin,45612,2561554,4.html

The EULA is pretty fucked up. EA can gain access to EVERYTHING in your PC. This is worse than any trojan software.

Enkidu said:
This one makes me sad. Someone asked if we could get some real Battlefield maps as DLC, with many flags and large distances between them. Zhinto answered with

and flagged it as "Implemented", basically saying that the maps are good enough as they are and they won't make any larger maps because a large part of the community is stupid. It really makes me fear for the Back to Karkand pack, surely they can't have ruined the classic BF2 maps with their new design philosophy?

FWIW, almost every post in the map feedback section of the official forum is asking for spaced out flags/BF2 style maps.

Spokker

silenthill1979 said:
The EULA is pretty fucked up. EA can gain access to EVERYTHING in your PC. This is worse than any trojan software.
Yeah, but Battlefield 3 is a lot better than having a purple monkey in the corner of your desktop.

ElyrionX

Y2Kev said:
Protip: you can carry two primary weapons

This is from a couple of pages back but what does this even mean? You can't carry two primary weapons as far as I know and there are no specializations that enable this.

Plissken

Finished the single player campaign, overall it wasn't bad. Some serious graphics setpieces in there (jet mission, HALO jump), I just wish there were more vehicle segments beyond the one (very fun) tank mission. Now to begin multiplayer!

The M.O.B

RS4-

ElyrionX said:
Thanks for the tips. I do use shift and I do account for bullet drop as well. A few things I'm struggling with actually.

My biggest problem is the kind of playstyle required with bolt action rifles compared to semi-autos and how to rack up points. If you're carrying the SV98 as a recon, do you head into the thick of the action or spawn somewhere far away so you can find a nice spot to snipe from? How often do you move from spots to spots? After a kill or two? Or only when you start getting fired upon?

Do you also go for objectives? I find trying to grab flags as recon especially difficult when you're carrying the SV98. With the semi-autos, at least you've got a decent fighting chance at close range but with the SV98, you're as good as dead meeting any other class head on. Without going for flags, what other ways are there to earn points besides killing? The proximity sensor and spawn beacons are extremely limited in their usages.

The other problem I have is that at medium range, I keep getting owned by other classes. Usually, it's because they spot me first which I attribute primarily to the scope glint.

Another issue is foliage. I tend to use foliage to my advantage to hide my silhouette but I just realized that there is a video option to lower the amount of terrain "visual decoration". I just set it to low and will test it in a bit but I wonder if this lowers the amount of foliage on the maps, meaning that players with lower video settings will see me in places where I previously believed I was concealed by the vegetation.

Whenever I played recon, I took unorthodox routes to objectives to avoid other players; it was far easier to flank to get off surprise kills and take objectives from less traveled paths.

You could get around the scope glint/reflection by putting a 4x scope or less. Sure you won't be sniping from that far range, but you'll still be relatively close to the action if need be.

zlatko

Banned
What type of Dr. Pepper sized bottle do I need to buy to get the camo skin? Is it guaranteed off a 24 oz, or does it need to be a 12 pack or what ?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
MrBig said:
Metro rush and Bazaar conquest are goodish for those maps and make them acceptable, but to me Tehran is absolutely the worst map in the game. Every rush zone is terrible, and conquest is engineers camping combined with shoddy vehicle combat
Yeah, it's the worst. Not to mention that you just can't see anyone on there, either.

the last 3 games on one server saw 13 players banned for hacking.. is it a perm ban? will they be able to play online again because it would suck if they can

ElyrionX

RS4- said:
Whenever I played recon, I took unorthodox routes to objectives to avoid other players; it was far easier to flank to get off surprise kills and take objectives from less traveled paths.

You could get around the scope glint/reflection by putting a 4x scope or less. Sure you won't be sniping from that far range, but you'll still be relatively close to the action if need be.

Traveling the alternate routes is something I need to be doing once I gain some map familiarity.

But what's the point of playing recon if you're going to be using 4x scopes with the sniper rifles? Might as well be playing assault and using the same scope and be more effective at close to medium range.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mikey Jr. said:
Just a PS3 question here. I bought the game new, so I get the Strike at Karkand DLC?
Only if you got a Limited Edition copy. It'll have an orange corner on the front and have Limited Edition under the logo if it is one.

Nori Chan

ElyrionX said:
This is from a couple of pages back but what does this even mean? You can't carry two primary weapons as far as I know and there are no specializations that enable this.
It's a tip on the loading menus for campaign.

Spokker said:
Lock on to a tank, then shoot.

You can also shoot into the air after you lock on. Some have said this is more effective.

Does it work on air vehicles as well? I was able to lock onto a heli a couple times but now not so much.

Spokker

sw33tclyde said:
Does it work on air vehicles as well? I was able to lock onto a heli a couple times but now not so much.
The stinger is for air vehicles.

As an engineer you have to choose whether you want to lock on to air or land vehicles. Letting them do both would overpower them more than they already are.

I've killed helicopters with the regular RPG though. Don't hover above a base in those things.

Kibbles

Is the camo just for your soldier (I couldn't give a crap if it's just that) or weapons too? I keep noticing I'm unlocking camo but I have no idea what it means lol I haven't played around with it yet, not on my xbox.

zlatko

Banned
Noriega said:
So I have to buy Dr. Pepper, AND mountain dew?

ffffffuuuu

I just read up online and yeah just buy and sized bottle of Dr. Pepper and go to redeem the code online to get your skins.

Anyone have a free Dr. Pepper bottle cap code laying around they'd let me have? :)

Spokker

Kibbles said:
Is the camo just for your soldier or weapons too? I keep noticing I'm unlocking camo but I have no idea what it means lol I haven't played around with it yet, not on my xbox.
On the customize screen you can change the appearance of your uniform and that's what camo is.

RS4-

sw33tclyde said:
Javelin works on air vehicles when they're targeted and locked on my soflam (recon item)

Proxy

Spokker said:

As an engineer you have to choose whether you want to lock on to air or land vehicles. Letting them do both would overpower them more than they already are.

I've killed helicopters with the regular RPG though. Don't hover above a base in those things.

If I'm not mistaken the SOFLAM can paint aircraft which will allow the javelin to lock onto them.

Spokker

Proxy said:
If I'm not mistaken the SOFLAM can paint aircraft which will allow the javelin to lock onto them.
Cool. I haven't run into any recon with the SOFLAM yet.

I remember hitting tanks with tracer darts in BC2.

Spokker said:

I think the SOFLAM allows you to lock onto them as well, cause I javelined 2 heli's already.

gray_fox224

Stupid question, but I must ask. How do you create loadout "classes" in multi? I hate having always to add a scope or attachment every time a new match starts.

Jak140

On PC is there anyway to play a squad death match game with your friends on the same team? For some reason it won't let me change squads in squad DM.

KorrZ

Loving the Jets ever since I got my heatseeker missiles. Took me hours to finally unlock them and now since getting them I've already unlocked all the way up to the Rocket Pods in about half the time. I hope the buffs they get are to make them more useful to the ground combat though, because it starts to get boring waiting for the same 2 enemy jets to respawn over and over, or the occasional heli.

Nabs

Jak140 said:
On PC is there anyway to play a squad death match game with your friends on the same team? For some reason it won't let me change squads in squad DM.
Create a party in battlelog and join a server with a lot of empty slots? We were able to create a squad in regular TDM that way.

1stStrike

Banned
KorrZ said:
Loving the Jets ever since I got my heatseeker missiles. Took me hours to finally unlock them and now since getting them I've already unlocked all the way up to the Rocket Pods in about half the time. I hope the buffs they get are to make them more useful to the ground combat though, because it starts to get boring waiting for the same 2 enemy jets to respawn over and over, or the occasional heli.

Use the rocket pods on ground targets... they're better than the air to surface missiles and do more damage. If your team helps you out and spots ground targets it'll be cake to fuck them up.

Edit: Haha, 10 aircraft shot down... 0 kills. Fucking bail.

Prologue

KorrZ said:

Wonder if they will add bomb drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom