• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyaw

Kak.efes said:
You're gonna be disappointed.

- I haven't had much success with rockets. I still prefer the cannon for the strafing pass.

You NEED to use rocket pods. I have destroyed tanks in ONE run.
Mostly on maps with high flight ceiling like Caspian, Kharg and Firestorm.

14 rockets will disable the tank and another 14 will kill the tank.
You get 14 rockets in one salvo and you can usually unload 2 salvos from a nose dive from 800m.

I know what you mean about the air radar. It makes everything easier although it makes dogfights against other pilots with air radar boring... you just circle and circle around each other and the other guy who gets a little edge will win...

ElyrionX

Rahk said:
I typically move from objective to objective with my squad (friends), but stop behind cover every now and then if I spot anyone. A lot of my kills come from guarding or attacking an objective. I scope out the area first to see if anyone is guarding, then when it's clear I run in and cap the flag.

For areas that are close quarters I pull out my pistol. If you get the drop on them with the pistol, they're dead. Even if you go head to head against an assault rifle you still have a decent chance, just aim for the head. At close range if I have the SV98 in my hands I'll shoot once then switch to the pistol, and have managed to outgun several assault rifles doing that.

If they keep spotting you first you probably have to work more on your positioning.

Thanks for the tips. When attacking or defending objectives, what scope do you use on the SV98? I guess it helps to have a squad of friends to team with. In public games, it's always tough finding good squads who will work together.

Libo

Neo Member
Gez said:
How are some of you rank 30 and up? Didn't the game just come out? I've being playing for hours and am only rank 4 and i have using Med kits and reviving!

Focus on capturing objectives whilst supporting your team with med kits and revives. Even if you're not very good at killing people, you will still rack up a lot of points. I also suggest sticking to one class and one weapon if you want to rank up quickly, the class and weapon medals yield good points. Oh and don't even think of flying, it will slow you down significantly.

demolitio

georgc said:
Better yet I have a f16 that would LOVE to love on to your laser.
I wish an F-16 was in the game. :(

We had a good run in that tank but I can't help feeling like we let it down as it sits there in a pile of rubble reminiscing about the good times we had together capturing like 50 flags and touring the countryside. I feel so bad that it had to blow up eventually. RIP

But seriously, that was a good run we had for just one single tank.

Dina

Question. When playing on Conquest Large maps, do a different amount of vehicles spawn when there's 32 or 64 players?

EatChildren said:
I wish people would spot more. Its one button! I guess the priority when you see a guy is to go for the kill, but spotting really helps give an idea of who you're up against and exposes bad dudes for all your bros.

Think of the bros!

I wish you could rebind the spot key. It's even listed in the options so I've it set to spacebar, but it still only works on Q.

1stStrike

Banned
Kyaw said:
You NEED to use rocket pods. I have destroyed tanks in ONE run.
Mostly on maps with high flight ceiling like Caspian, Kharg and Firestorm.

14 rockets will disable the tank and another 14 will kill the tank.
You get 14 rockets in one salvo and you can usually unload 2 salvos from a nose dive from 800m.

I know what you mean about the air radar. It makes everything easier although it makes dogfights against other pilots with air radar boring... you just circle and circle around each other and the other guy who gets a little edge will win...

The only problem is that you rarely have a chance to bombard shit on the ground without other jets going after you.

I need help with the jet controls.

I can't get the hang of pulling up/rolling to the side and pulling up to turn.

Am I supposed to keep pulling the mouse down? I've been pulling the mouse down, then picking it up moving it to the top of the pad quickly and pulling down again.

I'm never sure if I'm doing it right or if I should be pulling up faster than I am.

Maybe I just need to dig the joystick outta the closet instead.

1stStrike

Banned
nismogrendel said:
I need help with the jet controls.

I can't get the hang of pulling up/rolling to the side and pulling up to turn.

Am I supposed to keep pulling the mouse down? I've been pulling the mouse down, then picking it up moving it to the top of the pad quickly and pulling down again.

I'm never sure if I'm doing it right or if I should be pulling up faster than I am.

Maybe I just need to dig the joystick outta the closet instead.

Map everything to your keyboard like I did. I use WASD and the arrow keys to control my jet. Works much better than trying to fight with the shitty mouse. The only problems with this control scheme are:

1. You can't use the mouse look to look around your cockpit when in first person mode, so that will make life on hardcore suck.

2. It can be a bit hard to maneuver and hit boost at the same time.

And, on that note, I get a kill in a jet and of course the game crashes.

Battlefield 3 has stopped working.

You have gotten a kill in a jet, which has caused the program to stop working. Fuck your jet score.

demolitio

subversus said:
How the fuck do you fly in a jet and hit something on the ground? It's too fast.
Get as high as possible and do a dive bomb similar to how a lot of people bombed in BF2, except I use rocket pods on tanks and the cannon to finish them off. I just get as high as possible, dive down and throttle down to go as slow as possible while diving.

1stStrike

Banned
demolitio said:
Get as high as possible and do a dive bomb similar to how a lot of people bombed in BF2, except I use rocket pods on tanks and the cannon to finish them off. I just get as high as possible, dive down and throttle down to go as slow as possible while diving.

That's the key. On PC, hold S to slow down. When you're chasing after someone you'll normally want to throttle down as well so you don't end up passing them. In a jet you constantly need to manage your speed.

Olivero

Got the last unlock for the Jet. So after a bit of time in the jet, some impressions:

Afterburners do not work for me, at all. Admittedly, I've only flown the jets available on Rush, so maybe they do not have afterburners?

Engineers should not be able to kill a jet in one hit. Even with flares and stealth equipped, when two or three engineers are constantly locking onto you, they will eventually hit you. A one hit kill is silly.

Heat seekers are a must. Everything else can be taken care of with the gun. Tanks are really easy to disable/kill, so long as you can see them, anyways.

Try to approach from steep angles. Makes you harder to see, and gives you more time to line your shots up.

Operation Firestorm is ridiculous, aside from hunting the enemy jet and killing the occasional tank, jets are useless on this map. The area is too cluttered to get good shots off.

I prefer extinguisher to flares. Haven't tried the ECM yet, could be interesting.

Dina

Another question. What does the IR flares 'perk' do on the Attack Chopper Gunner position? The flares button which should be working doesn't pop flares, only the pilot one works.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
demolitio said:

Ok, I'll try this.

1stStrike

Banned
Olivero said:
Got the last unlock for the Jet. So after a bit of time in the jet, some impressions:

Afterburners do not work for me, at all. Admittedly, I've only flown the jets available on Rush, so maybe they do not have afterburners?

Engineers should not be able to kill a jet in one hit. Even with flares and stealth equipped, when two or three engineers are constantly locking onto you, they will eventually hit you. A one hit kill is silly.

Heat seekers are a must. Everything else can be taken care of with the gun. Tanks are really easy to disable/kill, so long as you can see them, anyways.

Try to approach from steep angles. Makes you harder to see, and gives you more time to line your shots up.

Operation Firestorm is ridiculous, aside from hunting the enemy jet and killing the occasional tank, jets are useless on this map. The area is too cluttered to get good shots off.

I prefer extinguisher to flares. Haven't tried the ECM yet, could be interesting.

I agree on Operation Firestorm. Great map, but jets are mostly useless. The problem is that it's so small, they end up just harassing helicopters, which makes helicopters mostly useless too.

ACESmkII

I find it both hilarious and awesome that two guys parked in a buggy can take a direct hit from a javelin without even being at least disabled. There are not even doors on the thing.

zlatko

Banned
tq7bp.png

These are really cool to make. So many things you can tweak. :)

1stStrike said:
I agree on Operation Firestorm. Great map, but jets are mostly useless. The problem is that it's so small, they end up just harassing helicopters, which makes helicopters mostly useless too.

I like that map. Prone on top of the construction building flinging stingers at all the things.

Rad-

ACESmkII said:
I find it both hilarious and awesome that two guys parked in a buggy can take a direct hit from a javelin without even being at least disabled. There are not even doors on the thing.

Yep that's stupid. All small vehicles should be one missile to destroy. One of the most satisfying things in previous BFs was to RPG a full speed buggy and just watch it fly away in explosion.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Gez said:
How are some of you rank 30 and up? Didn't the game just come out? I've being playing for hours and am only rank 4 and i have using Med kits and reviving!

3h 51m of playtime, rank 6 here. Medic/engineer, CQ/64 mostly.

Dakota47

Dina said:
Another question. What does the IR flares 'perk' do on the Attack Chopper Gunner position? The flares button which should be working doesn't pop flares, only the pilot one works.

Weird, my flares work. The reload time is pretty long, but I saved my and my pilot buddy's ass a couple of times with those flares.

Kyaw

1stStrike said:
The only problem is that you rarely have a chance to bombard shit on the ground without other jets going after you.

When you stay at the top of the map, the enemy jets won't notice you much.
And you will see them first.

CryptiK

Portal 2 to anyone that has the Amazon Preorder bonus dog tag code!! REALLY WANT!! Also giving away some games for the Dr Pepper codes!

PM ME!!

KaYotiX

Banned
Gez said:
I'm almost 26, played almost 16 hrs lol loving engineer, destroying tanks and planes = lots of points :)

Disguises

Won said:
Just played conquest Metro. Hahahahahahahahahaha. Dumbest thing I have seen in a long time.
I actually quite liked the stand-off at B. However, I have only played it once - I can see it getting pretty boring after a while.

FStop7

Banned
Finally took down a chopper with the tank gun. That felt so good. The debris took out a dude on the ground, too.

Won said:
Just played conquest Metro. Hahahahahahahahahaha. Dumbest thing I have seen in a long time.

It's dumb but it's a great way to rack up medic and ammo points. I racked up a quick 2000 points with only 1 or 2 kills thanks to revives and squad heals.

Hey guys, managed to plug in my ps3 controller to my pc via the motion in joy drivers. Now, could someone who owns the ps3 version of the game could share the default controller layout for the jets and helicopter? That would be great, thanks you!

Kyaw

The_Squirrel_Menace said:
Hey guys, managed to plug in my ps3 controller to my pc via the motion in joy drivers. Now, could someone who owns the ps3 version of the game could share the default controller layout for the jets and helicopter? That would be great, thanks you!

Emulate it as 360 pad and you won't have to worry about remapping.

no angel

Managed to get into a few games last night, loads of fun but battlefield 3 has really driven home how shit my connection is!

That being said, is anyone having problems getting into games (360 version)? Message of the day said quick find wasn't working and to use the server browser but every time I tried to join a game that way all i was getting was connection errors. Ironically quick find was the only way I could join a game at all.

(also I can't work out how to filter game searches based on location, is this even possible?)

jns

Can anyone confirm if you are invulnerable when backstabbing? I'm sure I should have died on a hc server except I went into the bs animation and killed another guy...

Noaloha

I just played my first game with the T-UGS gadget and I'm a little stumped by what benefit it's intended to provide. Can anyone give me a quick rundown on what its features are, its pros and cons? I wasn't sure if it would have the enemy show up on HUD, or only on minimap. Nor could I figure out whether the T-UGS scans constantly, scans in a rotation or in a pulse. Nor whether its scanning can pass through walls. Nor what its radius is like. And etc! Basically, it seems nothing like motion sensor grenades and I want to understand how to make use of it.

Also! Is anyone aware of how I unlock smoke grenades for the underslung launcher? I've unlocked.. I think it's buckshot shotgun rounds? Do I just keep getting kills with vanilla underslung grenades, because it feels like I've racked up dozens of kills with it at this point.

Also! Are there any comprehensive sites out there yet which have this sort detailed information available?

Also! Are there any good streamers putting out decent quality match footage that can be recommended? Nothing with asshole commentary. I'd quite like to watch some gam,es being played in ways other than I play them to get an idea of the range of viable approaches to stuff within each map. I'm aware that I'm beginning to get into certain sequences of actions on various maps that prove successful for me, but that's a two-edged blade in that it also prevents me from experimenting.

Noaloha

no angel said:
Managed to get into a few games last night, loads of fun but battlefield 3 has really driven home how shit my connection is!

That being said, is anyone having problems getting into games (360 version)? Message of the day said quick find wasn't working and to use the server browser but every time I tried to join a game that way all i was getting was connection errors. Ironically quick find was the only way I could join a game at all.

(also I can't work out how to filter game searches based on location, is this even possible?)
Both Quick Match and the Server Browser on 360 arew a damn crapshoot each time for me also. My connection is fine though (I'm pretty sure), Open NAT, decent speeds up and down, non-flaky modem. It just feels like I'm not grabbing empty spots fast enough. I thi9nk your Server Browser will auto-default to your region. On the Browser, click RS and it brings a sort toggle up. This is also the only way to search out hardcore and infantry modes too (good luck getting a server though).

Enco

Moaradin said:
battlelog is great when it works.
But why couldn't they fix something like that into the game?

Yes, it has nice features but I don't want to quit to desktop every time I switch server and I don't want to need a net connection to play sp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom