• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

jns

I think battle log is a great concept and I hope dice don't just leave it as us but continue to upgrade it over time. Right now it's a combination between a steam overlay and inflame stats

Rahk

ElyrionX said:
Thanks for the tips. When attacking or defending objectives, what scope do you use on the SV98? I guess it helps to have a squad of friends to team with. In public games, it's always tough finding good squads who will work together.
Recently I've been using the 4x scope, but the 7x scope worked just as well. It's just your preference. I typically just find some cover from a distance where I can scan the objective for enemies from a distance and if I see any I'll take them out before moving on. Once they are gone or if I don't find anyone there, I'll run to it and find a safe place to go prone or hide while capping it. I usually take out my pistol since I'll typically be inside a building or somewhere without a large viewable distance, and if I'm in a decent spot I can take them out with the pistol since I see them first.

With a 7x scope usually run from cover to cover mostly with a pistol and just use the rifle for people who have yet to see me or if I am at a safe distance. I try not to stay in one spot for too long. Pistols are great, so don't be worried about using them. You have a better chance of surviving if you run into anyone at close range while holding one. About 1/4 of my kills are with a pistol.

But what works for me might not work for others. Also, it might not work as well if you're not in a squad that sticks together since I also have backup.

Salacious Crumb

Enco said:
But why couldn't they fix something like that into the game?

Yes, it has nice features but I don't want to quit to desktop every time I switch server and I don't want to need a net connection to play sp.

Not being able to play SP offline is pretty crap, but overall I think battlelog is great. The option should be there for people to use it in game, but even if it was I think I would still use the web based version. I hate that battlelog launches the game through origin rather than just launching it directly though.

Disguises

The_Monk said:
How hard is the SP campaign in Hard?

Comparing to other FPS's like MW2, Medal of Honor, Black Ops, etc?
Bloody annoying in some points. I've been standing places before where a scripted rocket/explosion happens and have died, which always feels like a cheap death because there is sometimes no warning where and when that will happen. AI also feels like they cheat by killing you really fast sometimes. Constantly respawning enemies occur until you pass certain invisible gates sometimes. Other than that, it's not too bad so far. Basically - I feel like I'm getting punished by restarting to the last checkpoint when it's not even my fault a lot of the time.

Bumhead

Banned
I really, really like Battlelog personally. I've had it open whilever I've been on the net since I bought the game. Makes it so easy to just dive into a game or tinker with your stats etc.

To be honest while I tend to enjoy online shooters I don't tend to get all that involved with the perks, unlocks and clan side of them. With Battlelog however it just seems to be so convenient to keep your eye on all that stuff on the fly. I like having that as part of my browser experience. It feels like an extension of the game.

I'm impressed with it so far. The only problem I have with Battlelog so far is that I'm pretty lonely on there at the moment and it just highlights how annoyed I am that I can't just access all my Steam friends through Origin/Battlelog.

The_Monk

Disguises said:
Bloody annoying in some points. I've been standing places before where a scripted rocket/explosion happens and have died, which always feels like a cheap death because there is sometimes no warning where and when that will happen. AI also feels like they cheat by killing you really fast sometimes. Constantly respawning enemies occur until you pass certain invisible gates sometimes. Other than that, it's not too bad so far. Basically - I feel like I'm getting punished by restarting to the last checkpoint when it's not even my fault a lot of the time.

Never liked that...thanks for answering. I think Normal it is then, I want to have fun, Dark Souls can take care of difficulty.

And one more day to go for me...!

CryptiK

Portal 2 to anyone that has the Amazon Preorder bonus dog tag code!! REALLY WANT!! Also giving away some games for the Dr Pepper codes!

PM ME!!

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I'm playing as a medic ftw, raking in the points as my comdrads fall

any stat update apps for facebook? So when i level up ect it posts to my facebook wall..

Ryuuga

Banned
Mat C said:
I really, really like Battlelog personally. I've had it open whilever I've been on the net since I bought the game. Makes it so easy to just dive into a game or tinker with your stats etc.

To be honest while I tend to enjoy online shooters I don't tend to get all that involved with the perks, unlocks and clan side of them. With Battlelog however it just seems to be so convenient to keep your eye on all that stuff on the fly. I like having that as part of my browser experience. It feels like an extension of the game.

I'm impressed with it so far. The only problem I have with Battlelog so far is that I'm pretty lonely on there at the moment and it just highlights how annoyed I am that I can't just access all my Steam friends through Origin/Battlelog.

Yeah, it's really grown on me. It had a rough start, but once you get the basic functionality and features down it's very intuitive. I also like the fact that DICE/EA is asking for feedback on how to further improve it.

Dakota47

Ryuuga said:
Yeah, it's really grown on me. It had a rough start, but once you get the basic functionality and features down it's very intuitive. I also like the fact that DICE/EA is asking for feedback on how to further improve it.

If they add soldier, weapon and vehicle customization it is perfect.

jns

Kentpaul said:
I'm playing as a medic ftw, raking in the points as my comdrads fall

any stat update apps for facebook? So when i level up ect it posts to my facebook wall..
I find being a medic works well of you have a good squad or better yet, defending the subway stairs lil :)

Dakota47

jns said:
I find being a medic works well of you have a good squad or better yet, defending the subway stairs lil :)

Operation Metro CQ64 is basically a boosting map for assault. Expect at least 4K points without ribbon and other bonuses.

jns

Dakota47 said:
Operation Metro CQ64 is basically a boosting map for assault. Expect at least 4K points without ribbon and other bonuses.
Haha I posted a pic earlier where I went 1-2 and still topped the score with over 4000 points

zlatko

Banned
The_Monk said:
Really? And is Hard the hardest difficulty?

Hard is the hardest, and on PC I had no issues with it compared to any of the Call of Duty games.

Idk why someone listed respawning enemies... I think there is 1 sequence at the start that does that, but the rest of the game is finite amount of enemies and you basically just do clear the area and proceed onward.

Once you realize oh I can't move around much or at all, and just have to do a pop and shoot then duck to win for all sequences, it becomes super easy super quick.

It makes any CoD campaign on Veteran look like you are doing it on normal.

Edit: I should clarify I'm pretty much a noob at PC shooters, and have done all of my CoD's on console. So if someone ill equipped at m/kb combo thinks it's easy on hard, then you shouldn't feel to afraid of tackling it on hard.

The_Monk

zlatko said:
Hard is the hardest, and on PC I had no issues with it compared to any of the Call of Duty games.

Idk why someone listed respawning enemies... I think there is 1 sequence at the start that does that, but the rest of the game is finite amount of enemies and you basically just do clear the area and proceed onward.

Once you realize oh I can't move around much or at all, and just have to do a pop and shoot then duck to win for all sequences, it becomes super easy super quick.

It makes any CoD campaign on Veteran look like you are doing it on normal.

Thanks for the better explanation. I don't like when I'm trying to be super cautious but they keep coming and coming. If all I need is to take it slow, it's okay but if there is unlimited enemies no matter how many I kill. it sucks a bit.

Anton Sugar said:
Really? I find it easy to hit on the second Stinger missile after the flare. You can reload/lock on faster than flares re-gen.

Yeah if the guy flying the helicopter or jet doesn't hurry the fuck away it's easy to kill with the second stringer missiles. Often people will also prematurely use the flare just when you are locked into them and you can just wait a few seconds and shoot them down.

zlatko

Banned
The_Monk said:
Thanks for the better explanation. I don't like when I'm trying to be super cautious but they keep coming and coming. If all I need is to take it slow, it's okay but if there is unlimited enemies no matter how many I kill. it sucks a bit.

Yeah CoD World at War is a nightmare. Forever enemies + grenade tracking to kill you 24/7 made me want to punch my face in.

This is not like that. If anything you can turn it back down to normal if it gets too hard for you, but I found anytime I was dying it was just because I wasn't staying in cover enough, before taking my pop shots. The game is also pretty lenient on check points, although there was 2 sequences I can remember where the checkpoitns were a bit far out.

no angel

Toodles said:
Both Quick Match and the Server Browser on 360 arew a damn crapshoot each time for me also. My connection is fine though (I'm pretty sure), Open NAT, decent speeds up and down, non-flaky modem. It just feels like I'm not grabbing empty spots fast enough. I thi9nk your Server Browser will auto-default to your region. On the Browser, click RS and it brings a sort toggle up. This is also the only way to search out hardcore and infantry modes too (good luck getting a server though).
Thanks mate, I'll have another crack at the server browser this evening. For what it's worth my NAT is definitely open, and I remember BC2 having server issues at launches as well, I've just never experienced the amount of lag I was getting last night before.

Facism

finished the SP today. wondering why they wasted their time. worst crap i've touched since MW2, and at least MW2 felt polished. Thankfully the MP is top, even if it feels like the whole game has been balanced around consoles and control-pads.

KAL2006

Banned
Anyone who is buying the game used and needs an online pass, I am selling mine for £5, I can email it instantly. Please PM me if you are interested.

The_Monk

zlatko said:
Yeah CoD World at War is a nightmare. Forever enemies + grenade tracking to kill you 24/7 made me want to punch my face in.

This is not like that. If anything you can turn it back down to normal if it gets too hard for you, but I found anytime I was dying it was just because I wasn't staying in cover enough, before taking my pop shots. The game is also pretty lenient on check points, although there was 2 sequences I can remember where the checkpoitns were a bit far out.

Thanks. If they kill me because I did not cover properly, or did not wait to regain my health it's ok, and I don't mind, because it's my mistake, but if I die because the enemies will never ever stop coming then...there's no point.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Dakota47 said:
Yup, I got like 7k from revives/heals one time :lol

CrankyJay

Banned
CryptiK said:
Portal 2 to anyone that has the Amazon Preorder bonus dog tag code!! REALLY WANT!! Also giving away some games for the Dr Pepper codes!

PM ME!!

Damn, I'm sorry I missed this. What's so important about the Amazon code? I redeemed it but I don't feel any different. =)

So, now that we've played the full game, what's everyone's favourite and/or most played class?

Personally I love support due to awesome M249 and the prospect of the mortars.

As far as time played goes though, I'm playing Support, Engineer and Assault almost equally as rockets, mines, heath, and defibs are extremely useful in-game.

Recon doesn't get much love from me, and it seems that it gets very little love from the majority of players (on CQ anyway, don't know how it is in Rush).

zlatko

Banned
RibbedHero said:
So, now that we've played the full game, what's everyone's favourite and/or most played class?

As far as time played goes though, I'm playing Support, Engineer and Assault almost equally as rockets, mines, heath, and defibs are extremely useful in-game.

Recon doesn't get much love from me, and it seems that it gets very little love from the majority of players (on CQ anyway, don't know how it is in Rush).

I've got about 60% engineer and 40% recon.

Trying to put in more time to Recon to get the good sniper rifles in my possession so I can hopefully be getting more kills than just assists and spots. ; ;

The_Monk said:

Just finished it on hard and the biggest problems are that enemies sometimes hit you through walls (even had a rpg go through a mountain one) and that you are sometimes shot directly after an ingame cutscene and die instantly (happened on at least 3 occasions for me).
Pairing that with bugs that make the screen go white (ps3 version here) pretty much makes the campaign the most unenjoyable sp experience i had this year.
Even duke nukem forever seemed better in hindsight.
I didn't experience that level of pointless frustration with CoD on veteran, although MW2 comes close on some occasions.
The worst thing about the "taking it slow" approach is the fact that it felt like missing out on the game. Instead of having cool gunplay, i would sum up that the game consists of 60% "stare at the wall", 30% "press x to not die" and maybe 10% remotely resembling something like having a strategy.
It also is a pretty good indicator for bad pacing if you can breeze through the levels until you get to the next "breach through enemy defenses" section where you will die again and again until you get lucky.
One section in particular made me rage quit yesterday. You are supposed to chase a guy and if you don't run, it is game over. However, there are people shooting at you at a crossing and with 2-3 hits being deadly, you will die just running through. I died trying to just run, died trying to take cover, died trying to shoot back....
Eventually I got through by just running, but it was completely random and had no relevance to skill at all.

Nopren

Kentpaul said:
anyway to link my facebook to the battlelog

I think you need to link your origin account to facebook to do that. I considered it myself, but EA will get acces to goddamn nearly everything + have posting privileges on your behalf. So, no thanks from me.

F#A#Oo

Banned
The lag is this game is pretty ridiculous now...

I hope they do something...also is it possible to do lag-switching? Lastnight I was in a room and anytime I went near an enemy even when i had the drop of them...I would lose in the encounter as they would be somewhere else to where I was shooting...

FStop7

Banned
I love the stuff the Russian guy says on the comm rose. You know the flag in the alleyway on Grand Bazaar, the one that always becomes a meat grinder? I managed to force my way into one of the side rooms next to the flag by myself, captured the flag and killed like 8 dudes who were trying to pry me out of that room. These guys are firing rockets, throwing grenades, and trying to bull rush the room and I keep getting lucky. But the whole time I was banging away at "Need Backup" on the comm rose. The things the voice said kept getting more and more hysterical.

"Need backup."

"Get me some backup!"

"Where the fuck is my backup?!"

"I'M GONNA FUCKING DIE HERE, MAN!"

I absolutely lost it at that last one.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Dakota47 said:
If they add soldier, weapon and vehicle customization it is perfect.
Yep adding soldier customization would make it damn near perfect. I hate having to spend precious game time fine tuning my loadout.

RibbedHero said:

According to the stats, 84% of my time has been playing Assault. It's really more than that, the time spent on other classes was my friends playing it in my gaff. Really loved Assault in BC2 and will continue to play with it until I've unlocked everything. I'll probably move on to Engineer after that, then Support and finally, ugh, Recon. Once I've everything done, I'll probably spend my time between Assault and Engineer.

zlatko

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
The lag is this game is pretty ridiculous now...

I hope they do something...also is it possible to do lag-switching? Lastnight I was in a room and anytime I went near an enemy even when i had the drop of them...I would lose in the encounter as they would be somewhere else to where I was shooting...

I was in a 50 some ping server earlier and my connection was fine, but people were able to open the matrix up and become Neo because bullets were curving around corners to hit me.

Some super fucked up shit. :(

Darklord

Banned
zlatko said:
I was in a 50 some ping server earlier and my connection was fine, but people were able to open the matrix up and become Neo because bullets were curving around corners to hit me.

Some super fucked up shit. :(

I was in a server before and an admin was saying there were a lot of overseas people in it which was causing the lag. It seems most servers have some Europeans in them too. Why the hell do they even join overseas servers? They need to have a ping limit setting.

Enco

I muted the game and i still get interference when someone in my party sprints????

edit: fuck yea managed to fix it. Typing that out made me realise that its the stupid voice chat from battlelog. Muted the speakers and BAM!

RibbedHero said:

Probably the engineer. The RPG is just so essential when it comes taking down tanks on Conguest. Can't have enemy tanks parking on my flag. On smaller maps you can do really well with the Assault class healing and reviving team mates.

FStop7

Banned
Engineer is fun to play but way op. Seems like every game is 70/30 engineers vs. every other kit combined. There needs to be some kind of rebalance to make the other kits more appealing. An engineer can singlehandedly take down light/heavy armor, jeeps, aircraft, plus do repairs, plus with the SCAR-H they do just fine as an assault class.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
It was pretty obvious from the beta that Eng. needed to be looked at, but it's DICE and they're terrible at balance.

Pretty funny to see the lead designer has Eng as his most played class and has like 550spm. Also looks like they might be nerfing Stingers (lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom