• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

Good old times when engineers were the least played class... I loved playing them, but with BF3 there are too much engineers (and not enough Assault).

mxgt

Banned
Indeed there's way too many Engineers, it's why I play Assault most of the time but I'm now starting on Support too.

NIN90

Just today my soldier screamed "Take a load of this you MOTHERFUCKER!" when I revived someone. With a russian accent.

TCRS

Banned
Why does Dice have to mess with the helicopter controls on the 360? The BC1 controls were perfect, the BC2 were okayish after I got used to them (a year after release), the BF3 controls are a catastrophe!!

It goes right when press left, and up when I press down. WTF?

The_Monk

kingschiebi said:
Just finished it on hard and the biggest problems are that enemies sometimes hit you through walls (even had a rpg go through a mountain one) and that you are sometimes shot directly after an ingame cutscene and die instantly (happened on at least 3 occasions for me).
Pairing that with bugs that make the screen go white (ps3 version here) pretty much makes the campaign the most unenjoyable sp experience i had this year.
Even duke nukem forever seemed better in hindsight.
I didn't experience that level of pointless frustration with CoD on veteran, although MW2 comes close on some occasions.
The worst thing about the "taking it slow" approach is the fact that it felt like missing out on the game. Instead of having cool gunplay, i would sum up that the game consists of 60% "stare at the wall", 30% "press x to not die" and maybe 10% remotely resembling something like having a strategy.
It also is a pretty good indicator for bad pacing if you can breeze through the levels until you get to the next "breach through enemy defenses" section where you will die again and again until you get lucky.
One section in particular made me rage quit yesterday. You are supposed to chase a guy and if you don't run, it is game over. However, there are people shooting at you at a crossing and with 2-3 hits being deadly, you will die just running through. I died trying to just run, died trying to take cover, died trying to shoot back....
Eventually I got through by just running, but it was completely random and had no relevance to skill at all.

Thank you for your explanation too :)

Darklord

Banned
NIN90 said:
Just today my soldier screamed "Take a load of this you MOTHERFUCKER!" when I revived someone. With a russian accent.

Yeah I don't get the reviving yells. I revived a guy and he was screaming for him to die.

Shadybiz

RibbedHero said:
So, now that we've played the full game, what's everyone's favourite and/or most played class?

Personally I love support due to awesome M249 and the prospect of the mortars.

I'm with you on Support. I played alot of Engineer at first, because I play alot of Conquest, so I needed the rockets. But now that I can just roll up to a tank and toss C4 on it, I play more Support.

Orlandu84

RibbedHero said:
So, now that we've played the full game, what's everyone's favourite and/or most played class?
Although I have spent the most time in Medic, I am really loving support! The M249 is quickly becoming my favorite weapon. I cannot wait to get and tryout the mortar:)

TCRS

Banned
RibbedHero said:

Personally I love support due to awesome M249 and the prospect of the mortars.

Me too. Support is my favourite class by a long shot. Great guns (M249, Type 88, PKP, M240B), unlimited ammo (since you're the ammo guy), and great extras (C4, Mortar, Claymore).

The mortars are fun and piss of the enemy, but they are not as op as people say. It's hard to kill someone with a mortar.

After that engineer I suppose. I usually take engineer when I'm driving tanks.

Yesterday was the first time that I chose Assault (Conquest on Metro...yuck). Assault is okay I suppose, I have to unlock more stuff for it, but it's generqally feels useless...

Sniper.. chose it once by accident on seine crossing..

FStop7 said:
Engineer is fun to play but way op. Seems like every game is 70/30 engineers vs. every other kit combined. There needs to be some kind of rebalance to make the other kits more appealing. An engineer can singlehandedly take down light/heavy armor, jeeps, aircraft, plus do repairs, plus with the SCAR-H they do just fine as an assault class.

There's too many vehicles, makes everyone want launchers.

TCRS said:
Why does Dice have to mess with the helicopter controls on the 360? The BC1 controls were perfect, the BC2 were okayish after I got used to them (a year after release), the BF3 controls are a catastrophe!!

It goes right when press left, and up when I press down. WTF?
Change them from inverted. That said, I could fly helicopters in BC2 no problem, even with the controls set to normal, I still find them hard to fly.

ace3skoot

I played for about 5 hours last night: My take on the classes.

Engineer - easily the strongest class because it can react to practically any situation be air, armour or infantry. basically the strongest class on big maps.

Assault- strong on small maps for rush and TDM , healing/reviving works well and is balanced nicely, weapons are awesome. Needs some kind of unguided anti- vehicle weapons imo , sometimes on large maps or conquest I just feel out of my depth when there are tanks everywhere and sod all I can do about it, considering your on the front line you just feel powerless sometimes.

Support – working great, seems balanced, C4 is awesome can't wait for the mortar XD

Recon – currently my shotgun/pdw class, I'm not really a sniper so I don't feel I'm qualified to judge

enjoying the crap out of this game though am hoping for PS3 patch rather soonish for input lag :)

TCRS

Banned
Kylehimself said:
Change them from inverted. That said, I could fly helicopters in BC2 no problem, even with the controls set to normal, I still find them hard to fly.

Believe it or not: there is no option to invert the axes! Dice, in all its wisdom, decided not to include this standard option.

WoodWERD

What was the reasoning behind adding vehicle disable? I get the concept, but was it in older versions and they've brought it back? Hate seeing players parachute/jump out of vehicles I just gunned down...I thought BC2 was fine; if you don't react to the loud ass siren when you're almost out of health then you deserve to die.

I was shaking my head earlier when I realised you needed 3 C4 explosions on a tank to destroy it. I wish DICE released a tutorial on how to fly these aircraft.

MNC

So now that the game has been released:

Is this a true battlefield? A true sequel?

Was it worth the hype?

Or is it like "Eh, I'll probably go back to BC2 in a bit"

Salacious Crumb

MNC said:

Was it worth the hype?

Sometimes it feels like BC3, sometimes it feels like BF3 (only on PC), both are better than BC2.

Rad-

MNC said:

Was it worth the hype?

It's a great sequel to BC2.

ElyrionX

Rahk said:
Recently I've been using the 4x scope, but the 7x scope worked just as well. It's just your preference. I typically just find some cover from a distance where I can scan the objective for enemies from a distance and if I see any I'll take them out before moving on. Once they are gone or if I don't find anyone there, I'll run to it and find a safe place to go prone or hide while capping it. I usually take out my pistol since I'll typically be inside a building or somewhere without a large viewable distance, and if I'm in a decent spot I can take them out with the pistol since I see them first.

With a 7x scope usually run from cover to cover mostly with a pistol and just use the rifle for people who have yet to see me or if I am at a safe distance. I try not to stay in one spot for too long. Pistols are great, so don't be worried about using them. You have a better chance of surviving if you run into anyone at close range while holding one. About 1/4 of my kills are with a pistol.

But what works for me might not work for others. Also, it might not work as well if you're not in a squad that sticks together since I also have backup.

Sounds like a plan to me. I've never really experimented with the pistol when moving around as recon. Which pistol would you recommend?

Darklord

Banned
MNC said:

Was it worth the hype?

It's better than BC2 except for the maps. I like BC2 maps a lot more. Only 2 of these maps feel like BF maps.

TCRS said:
Believe it or not: there is no option to invert the axes! Dice, in all its wisdom, decided not to include this standard option.
I could of swore I changed them. I haven't given them a go really after I realised how different it was, so maybe I'm just dreaming.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
As a BF rookie, is there a way to search for games with players of similar skill? Kinda tired of getting smoked by folks 20 levels above me with 50 hours already poured into the game.

MNC said:

Was it worth the hype?

It's sometimes BF3, sometimes BC3. Reason is mainly the map design. Shit maps like Metro and Damavand peak make it feel like a crappy console shooter, while the larger more open maps really make it feel like BF3.

The map design is all over the place since some are obviously made for Rush and for smaller player counts, while others are conquest maps that need tons of players.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Orlandu84 said:
Although I have spent the most time in Medic, I am really loving support! The M249 is quickly becoming my favorite weapon. I cannot wait to get and tryout the mortar:)

I dunno man...the M249 was making me lose 1v1...

RPK and M27 are pretty good...the PKP was awesome in beta...and I didn't unlock the 240B so I don't know about that one...

derFeef

I don't think the maps are the problem, there are some very good ones. The goddamn full squad spawn is what takes out the most fun for me.

MNC

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32258557&postcount=5570

Bluth54 said:
People have found a couple of hints that Valve and EA may of worked out their differences and will be bringing Battlefield 3 to Steam.

First off is this Sapphire contest, where the prize is a steam code for Battlefield 3:
"One (1) PC Game code for Battlefield 3, redeemable for the game on Steam (www.steampowered.com) with a Suggested Retail Price of $USD 59.99"

Also someone on the Steam forums found that the PBSetup.exe file, used to install Punk Buster for Battlefield Installs, was updated with a couple of interesting install directories:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 3\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\battlefield 3\
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\battlefield 3\
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 3\

Another user confirms it.

I had my doubts that EA and Valve would be able to work something out but it's looking more and more like they were able to.

Been posted? :/

Oh what I would give NOT to use Origin. Technically I have my copy still unopened lying at my friend's house. I could sell it next week when I obtain it. But there might be no news regarding steam and BF3... And I'd lose my B2K access. Blegh.

pix

Not sure if posted.

863462211.gif

Arnie

As a fan of both BF2 and BC2 I love this game. I've got the fuck awesome Conquest experiences in maps like Caspian, Firestorm and Bazaar, yet I still get the brilliant Rush experience in maps like Canals, Seine Crossing and Tehran.

I love Battlefield 2 as much as anyone, but sometimes people get too butthurt about wanting things to stay exactly the same that they fail to see why some changes are good.

The people who just want 64 player maps the size of Caspian are the same people who genuinely think the 8 class setup of BF2 is superior to what we have now in BF3. And in that respect I'm very glad they haven't hamstrung this game and stopped it from becoming what it is.

Salacious Crumb

derFeef said:
I don't think the maps are the problem, there are some very good ones. The goddamn full squad spawn is what takes out the most fun for me.

That I can agree with. I wouldn't say it takes the fun out but it's definitely annoying, and makes the role of squad leader pretty much pointless.

Daigoro

Meus Renaissance said:
Game sucks playing without friends especially when you come across a team with squads that actually work together. Domination

just like that this game can go from heaven to hell. first few days i only played with friends and was having a wonderful time. then i tried to play alone at 4 AM one morning and it was a complete nightmare.

Rad-

It's not just maps. BF3 is very streamlined compared to BF2. In some ways for the better but in many ways not...

Rad- said:
It's not just maps. BF3 is very streamlined compared to BF2. In some ways for the better but in many ways not...

... in what ways is it streamlined? For the most part there is more of everything and more complexity with the wealth of options for most things. BF2 was very simple game

The squad system is the one thing that took a step backwards as it feels like they tailored it for smaller console player counts.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Arnie said:
The people who just want 64 player maps the size of Caspian are the same people who genuinely think the 8 class setup of BF2 is superior to what we have now in BF3. And in that respect I'm very glad they haven't hamstrung this game and stopped it from becoming what it is.
Wait, so 64 players on maps like the current Damavand/Metro/Bazaar setups are what we should be ok with going forwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom