• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Moaradin said:
Then what's the problem with having a mix of big conquest maps and smaller rush type maps?
The problem is that smaller rush type maps are shoehorned into CQ64 and work horribly leaving us with half the maps good for one mode and half the maps good for the other. So if you like CQ you get 5 solid maps.

Arnie said:
As a fan of both BF2 and BC2 I love this game. I've got the fuck awesome Conquest experiences in maps like Caspian, Firestorm and Bazaar, yet I still get the brilliant Rush experience in maps like Canals, Seine Crossing and Tehran.

I love Battlefield 2 as much as anyone, but sometimes people get too butthurt about wanting things to stay exactly the same that they fail to see why some changes are good.

The people who just want 64 player maps the size of Caspian are the same people who genuinely think the 8 class setup of BF2 is superior to what we have now in BF3. And in that respect I'm very glad they haven't hamstrung this game and stopped it from becoming what it is.

Or maybe maps like Metro is just one big chokepoint with no fun other than grenade spawning in conquest. It's not fun and requires no strategy or anything other than throwing grenades and missiles as fast as you can down the escalators.

I don't want things to stay the same as BF2, I want them to improve, but a map like Metro conquest is a big step backwards and a map like Damavand could really use a few other ways of getting around, throw in a few more choppers or make it possible to walk up that hill and a lot of the problems would be solved.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I think some of you have rose-tinted glasses with regard to BF2...

Also as others have pointed out if BF3 was PC only you would be singing a different tune...

But I do agree with BF3 having some really terrible maps...but I don't think you can pin the blame on "TEH CONSOLZ"...this is DICE/EA trying to cater to CoD fans and straying from what makes BF BF! Hopefully everyone can get DICE to understand that we don't want more Metro's and Damavand Peak's but more Firestorm and Caspian...and with B2K as long as DICE hasn't shrinked them we should be good...

cj_iwakura

A friend let me try out the first part of the game, and I loathed it. It felt like the game punished me for daring to do anything outside of DICE's little tunnel vision world.

These are the guys who made Mirror's Edge? Is this what FPSs have become? Check please.

Maybe this just isn't meant for people who like to explore and have the world open to them.

BF3 was weird today. I could normally play 40-60FPS ultra, 2xMSAA, low DFAA, 1600x900 on my i3-2100 + 5850 Xtreme. Somehow, I went 20-30FPS even though I'm on the same maps with the same 48 player count. My temps were all fine.

Spl1nter

The issue is that maps designed for rush do not make great - and in most cases not even good - conquest maps. You can however make a great conquest designed map a good rush map. Its clear that conquest was compromised in favour of rush. A shame since rush is pretty shit compared to titan mode. But you cant play titan mode on a console.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
pix said:

Dude coming back to kick the door in for him made it for me. :lol

we don't want more Metro's and Damavand Peak's

Speak for yourself, I'm completely fine with either of these maps if they were less choke-point-y. They're decent maps and very pretty and the tunnel section of Metro is INTENSE when a good team isn't completely blocking the points to the point of map shutdown. Getting through and arming is great.

We do need more vehicle maps just as much as we need Infantry.

Of course before any of that I want an Arica Harbor, Port Valadez, Cold War and Deconstruction remake/port. >:|

Maybe this just isn't meant for people who like to explore and have the world open to them.

Even BC1's campaign was like that but the leash was a lot less tigher. They want people to focus on the action instead of wandering around and getting lost, I wager.

Strife91

What are you worrying about? We will get new maps by the end of this year and we will probably have another expansion pack next year.

J-Rzez

I'm fine with the maps and modes, though I wish there were a lot more maps. My problem with the game is the only way to unlock certain weapons is doing it via Co-Op, that was a real dick move.

FoggyFreek

Stallion Free said:
Not a single large map in the game can stand toe to toe with the best BF2 had to offer.

Get to know the maps. Get rid of the nostalgic feelings you have for it and open up. Accept that these are new playgrounds and have lot's of cool areas to explore. It's the same with good music. Mostly you're like; 'i liked their old album better!'. But then, after 10 or more plays you start to hear things and suddenly; it clicks.

Some things take time. As for me? I really lilke the diversity of the maps but I'm convinced the players make the game. So, let the players get used to the game and watch BF3 be even more awesome 2 months from now.

MARK MY WORDS.

ElyrionX

pix said:
Not sure if posted.

863462211.gif

Hilarious!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
FoggyFreek said:
Get to know the maps. Get rid of the nostalgic feelings you have for it and open up. Accept that these are new playgrounds and have lot's of cool areas to explore. It's the same with good music. Mostly you're like; 'i liked their old album better!'. But then, after 10 or more plays you start to hear things and suddenly; it clicks.

Some things take time. As for me? I really lilke the diversity of the maps but I'm convinced the players make the game. So, let the players get used to the game and watch BF3 be even more awesome 2 months from now.

MARK MY WORDS.
Except B2K is coming this winter and the nostalgia BS is gonna fall flat on it's face.

Marco1

I am now done with this game on Xbox360.
This is the first game I have played that feels that it really needs to be on the next gen of consoles.
The graphics, screen tearing and visibility are awful.

J-Rzez said:
I'm fine with the maps and modes, though I wish there were a lot more maps. My problem with the game is the only way to unlock certain weapons is doing it via Co-Op, that was a real dick move.

Is that really true? Fucking DICE, I don't want to play your shitty Co-Op.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
FoggyFreek said:

MARK MY WORDS.
lol

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Meus Renaissance said:
I was shaking my head earlier when I realised you needed 3 C4 explosions on a tank to destroy it. I wish DICE released a tutorial on how to fly these aircraft.
I'm pretty sure 2 on the ass end of the tank is enough to destroy it. Maybe it already had damage though?

ace3skoot

don't suppose anyone wants to make a video/guide how to control flying vehicle on PS3 version?...i can't turn at all in a jet and am to embarrassed to recall how my helicopter attempts.

edit: i forgot words :p

F#A#Oo

Banned
TheSeks said:
Speak for yourself, I'm completely fine with either of these maps if they were less choke-point-y. They're decent maps and very pretty and the tunnel section of Metro is INTENSE when a good team isn't completely blocking the points to the point of map shutdown. Getting through and arming is great.

We do need more vehicle maps just as much as we need Infantry.

Key word: "If"

I never said it isn't possible to enjoy the maps...but in general these maps will be more frustrating to play on because of the flaws in design and leads to hit and miss enjoyment...and sure playing in a team will be endlessly better but it isn't always possible to squad up...and so public games will figure.

TheSeks said:
Of course before any of that I want an Arica Harbor, Port Valadez, Cold War and Deconstruction remake/port. >:|

Arica Harbor - Yes
Port Valadez - No
Cold War - No
Deconstruction - Yes

J-Rzez

WoodenLung said:
Is that really true? Fucking DICE, I don't want to play your shitty Co-Op.

Yes. Just look at your weapon unlock progression. "Unlocked via Co-Op" 0/252000 for example. And, it doesn't fill up like the others while doing MP. It's bullshit.

F#A#Oo

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Yes. Just look at your weapon unlock progression. "Unlocked via Co-Op" 0/252000 for example. And, it doesn't fill up like the others while doing MP. It's bullshit.

You can easily rack up 6k-7k points by just grinding the first level without even trying...if you try it will be alot more...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
F#A#Oo said:
You can easily rack up 6k-7k points by just grinding the first level without even trying...if you try it will be alot more...
The issue is that you won't get them all after even two to three full runs of it.

I'm making this post to state that having to unlock flares and missiles for choppers and jets was an utterly idiotic decision. Made unlocking those things bloody difficult in the first place when you can't get rid of a missile in front of you, and cannoning jets or tanks is hard.

Other than that, having one hell of a time in MP. The first couple days of play in a BF game are always the best.

Got my first destruction kills as well, but they didn't come up as destruction!

CozMick

Banned
Marco1 said:
This is the first game I have played that feels that it really needs to be on the next gen of consoles.

Hmm I was under the impression that both the PS3 version and 360 version were the same :|

Graphics are amazing on PS3, only slight aliasing, no tearing and the draw distance is pretty damn good.

renitou

I'm in the mood for a new Battlefield after returning the Battlefield 1943 over the past two-three weeks.

Looking between Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3. How does 3 handle the disparity between number of players on consoles and PC? The maps look enormous; do things feel desolate on consoles with the lowered player count, or does DICE split up the levels somehow to compensate?

Thanks!

Twinduct

So mortars ... they gonna be nerfed a bit?
Playing rush with them is kinda pointless for any point that's got an open m-com.

Nothing like having two mortar teams camping at attacker's base, you know that nice spot that you as a defender can't reach?.

Christ just some cool down would be nice :<

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Don't like what they've done with the parachute, takes forever to use and you always take damage.

Got to love joining friends on a server and being unable to join or make a squad, and then get put on the other team when it changes rounds.

Danny 117

Twinduct said:
Playing rush with them is kinda pointless for any point that's got an open m-com.

Nothing like having two mortar teams camping at attacker's base, you know that nice spot that you as a defender can't reach?.

It's even worse when you constantly switch between smoke rounds and explosives, you can shoot faster!

MrBig

Twinduct said:

It's actually really hard to kill people with the mortar. If they are going to be altered at all I would add a couple seconds to the cooldown but nothing more drastic than that.

Mortar solution is quite simple.

It has nothing to do with a cool down, or making the splash damage smaller or giving them limited ammo.

All they have to do is remove the red dot markers on his mini map every time an enemy fires.

Making him rely on team spotting and guessing for targets will end the spam.

zlatko

Banned
Twinduct said:

The night time map (Tehgran highway?) on TDM is the WORST map for mortars. Holy shit. Sit in either side of the maps spawn behind something and keep launching as you are guaranteed to hit something. :/

Cobra84

gibon3z said:

It has nothing to do with a cool down, or making the splash damage smaller or giving them limited ammo.

All they have to do is remove the red dot markers on his mini map every time an enemy fires.

That and not being able to use it in base areas inaccessible to the other team would be perfect.

MrBig

gibon3z said:

Spotted enemies don't show up on mortar maps, you can only see people that are currently firing iirc. Having it rely on spotting would make it easier to use.

Marco1 said:
Yeah, for me it's this, as well as the insane bright, HDR/bloom lighting. I'm squinting while playing some maps.

Twinduct

Danny 117 said:
It's even worse when you constantly switch between smoke rounds and explosives, you can shoot faster!

LOL, I have yet see someone shoot a smoke shell :p

MrBig said:
It's actually really hard to kill people with the mortar. If they are going to be altered at all I would add a couple seconds to the cooldown but nothing more drastic than that.

I can imagine it's not easy, but my complaint goes directly towards the m-com stations. Once the charge is planted, it's gameover for that station. Nothing like having some random guy rush in with his jeep, bail out the car and arm and then the proceeding 10 shells falling on anyone who wants to disarm.

gibon3z said:

Actually no, I think a slightly longer cool-down (To disarm) would help just balancing it out.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Twinduct said:

I think they already did.

Using mortar is a death trap to anyone who knows what to look for. The shot/reload is slow as hell, the getting in/out of mortar takes forever, and every shot leaves streakers in the sky and plots you on the mini map.

C4 is a much better weapon than mortar. People are overplaying how "good" it is.

Last night I made it a point to keep hunting down the enemy mortar guy. So easy to find, and helpless.

2real4tv

doctordoak said:
Yeah, for me it's this, as well as the insane bright, HDR/bloom lighting. I'm squinting while playing some maps.

Came in to post the same BFBC2 was muchhhh better. Feels like I am playing a beta!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom