• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyu

Anyone got some tips for getting points in the scout helicopters? After a good few hours I can fly ok and last quite a while (I manage to avoid 6-8 Locked missiles per run) but assists from gunner kills come rarely and I can't think of another way to get points when I'm the pilot. I can't really go any slower when I'm over bases otherwise I'll just hover and be a sitting duck for RPGs/ground fire but I figure I must be doing something wrong as I can't be getting lumped with crap gunners each time....

Twinduct

Caspian border on rush: Enemy has three mortar teams ... none of them can hit shit.
Result? The wonderful little forest area surrounding the 'hilltop' was completely charred. Looked like a completely different map in a way.

Now I want a jungle themed Map.

Stallion Free said:
It's BC3.
nope, it's definitely a PC game. the ridiculous and clumsy menu system has to have been made for mouses and then ported over.

hopefully BC3 has no prone and no auto-balance... or at least one that doesn't split up squads... kind of like the one in BC2 where it only balanced people that weren't in a squad.

blanky

Saiyu said:
Anyone got some tips for getting points in the scout helicopters? After a good few hours I can fly ok and last quite a while (I manage to avoid 6-8 Locked missiles per run) but assists from gunner kills come rarely and I can't think of another way to get points when I'm the pilot. I can't really go any slower when I'm over bases otherwise I'll just hover and be a sitting duck for RPGs/ground fire but I figure I must be doing something wrong as I can't be getting lumped with crap gunners each time....

Scout right? That one has the minigun for the pilot! Unless you mean the transport one, than you're kind out of luck and depend on gunners and unlocks

scogoth

Menelaus said:
Has anyone else with nvidia cards been having an issue with strange artifacts emanating from the center of your reticule? This is a VERY tame example.

Yes it occurs in DX10 mode, it is a known issue. Run the game in DX11 if your card supports it.

TheSeks said:
Of course before any of that I want an Arica Harbor, Port Valadez, Cold War and Deconstruction remake/port. >:|
Back For Gold Expansion Pack: End Of The Line, Valley Run+Deconstruction Super Map, Par For The Course, Crossing Over... throw in a TOZ-194, XM8, UZI, MEC Tank, Chopper and Jet call it a day...

Keasar

Having flares makes all of the difference on aircraft. The first 300 points on each I had to struggle, especially on airplanes since just lifting off made you a candidate to recieve to heat-seekers as a gift, barely scraping togheter any points each life. Now, I am a god of the sky, smiting those I see unworthy to roam the air of my domain and blasting those on the ground who seek to conquer my lands.

In short, they really need to make flares a basic item on all crafts for beginners. :p

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
MikeTyson said:
Dr. Pepper promotion thing keeps giving me an error...

I WANT MY DINO TAG.

Dr. Pepper exists to dick you over on Battlefield preorders. That is their purpose.

The Faceless Master said:
Back For Gold Expansion Pack: End Of The Line, Valley Run+Deconstruction Super Map, Par For The Course, Crossing Over... throw in a TOZ-194, XM8, UZI, MEC Tank, Chopper and Jet call it a day...

:) People need to experience the brilliance of a few of those BC1 maps. EotL especially. God that map was awesome.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Saiyu said:

Cap undefended points and kill people with your guns. Use heatseekers now and then on unsuspecting copters/planes. It is just a bit of a slog, particularly since you don't get much time on them.

If you play Conquest Large on Damavand peak grab the scout, drop off your passengers in the enemy base, then fly into the enemy's mine entrance and shoot as many of their infantry from behind before they notice there is a helicopter behind them. :) Nobody is ever looking back towards spawn when they're struggling to take C.

Keasar said:
Having flares makes all of the difference on aircraft. The first 300 points on each I had to struggle, especially on airplanes since just lifting off made you a candidate to recieve to heat-seekers as a gift, barely scraping togheter any points each life. Now, I am a god of the sky, smiting those I see unworthy to roam the air of my domain and blasting those on the ground who seek to conquer my lands.

In short, they really need to make flares a basic item on all crafts for beginners. :p

I dunno. I think the whole flare/heatseeker balance is whack - pilots who don't have flares are flying points, but pilots with flares are basically unstoppable, and taking heatseekers as an Engineer just becomes useless.

I feel like flares should be a starting item, but they should be limited to two or three uses, or at least have a much longer recharge. It just seems like the balance flips between "engineers are going to eat me for lunch" and then with flares "I am a fucking spy plane".

W1SSY

BigJiantRobut said:
I dunno. I think the whole flare/heatseeker balance is whack - pilots who don't have flares are flying points, but pilots with flares are basically unstoppable, and taking heatseekers as an Engineer just becomes useless.

I feel like flares should be a starting item, but they should be limited to two or three uses, or at least have a much longer recharge. It just seems like the balance flips between "engineers are going to eat me for lunch" and then with flares "I am a fucking spy plane".
I agree completely and have been saying the same to the guys I play with online. I cannot stand how invincible the planes with flares seem to be. At this point most the people have flares so using a stinger is pretty much useless unless you can coordinate with another person to lock on and make them use the flare. I really hope they alter it somehow because the way it is now is just messed up.

MrBig

W1SSY said:
I agree completely and have been saying the same to the guys I play with online. I cannot stand how invincible the planes with flares seem to be. At this point most the people have flares so using a stinger is pretty much useless unless you can coordinate with another person to lock on and make them use the flare. I really hope they alter it somehow because the way it is now is just messed up.
I can kill other jets with the just the jet's main gun easily, and I can kill jets easily with mobile AA. Stop shooting at jets with stingers and save them for helos, which have a much longer cooldown on flares

Woo-Fu

Banned
BigJiantRobut said:

What you're failing to appreciate is that there are more than 2 people in the match. The jet pilot isn't just dealing with your stinger/IGLA/heatseeker, he is dealing with everybody on your team who is trying to take him down.

The key to taking them down is to get lock and hold lock, waiting for them to trigger flares *after* somebody else puts a missile up. Then you re-lock and fire your own stinger before their flares have reloaded.

As long as you're hassling them they're not dropping AGMs on your armor. Long as you're hassling them it makes it easier for your own aircraft to operate and/or take down the enemy.

Lastly, helicopters are far easier to take down because they don't have any chance of outrunning a missile long enough for it to run out of juice.

Instead of complaining that you're not Rambo start playing the game the way it was meant to be played, as a team. I've only got one or two unlocks left in jets and I can tell you from experience that we're not flying the friendly skies. I've only gone perhaps 4-5 rounds in ~60 hours of gameplay without getting shot down at least once.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I do believe you're forgetting motherfucking DECONSTRUCTION on that pack.

Jets are a team asset a single person with stingers should not be able to take them out with ease.

Should require teamwork and multiple stingers to even disable it.

MrBig said:
Spotted enemies don't show up on mortar maps, you can only see people that are currently firing iirc. Having it rely on spotting would make it easier to use.
are you sure about that? i've had friends call out spots on enemies and the arrows stayed active for long time.

Ikuu said:
I can't believe the C4 bug is still in the game/engine...
you mean the one where you throw C4 and enter a vehicle right after without letting it complete the animation, the C4 won't detonate?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just beated the campaign, i think it was pretty cool and was a nice challenge even at normal difficulty.

By the way, what happen if
i fail the QTE event at the end with Solomon? Do i get to see Times Square getting nuked? I tried to look for a youtube video, but i couldn't find it.

MrBig

are you sure about that? i've had friends call out spots on enemies and the arrows stayed active for long time.
No, I'm not. I've only used it on Bazaar and Metro. No one bothers spotting on those maps on 360.

Woo-Fu said:
Lastly, helicopters are far easier to take down because they don't have any chance of outrunning a missile long enough for it to run out of juice.

Instead of complaining that you're not Rambo start playing the game the way it was meant to be played, as a team. I've only got one or two unlocks left in jets and I can tell you from experience that we're not flying the friendly skies. I've only gone perhaps 4-5 rounds in ~60 hours of gameplay without getting shot down at least once.

This is way better than BF2, where a good jet pilot was basically untouchable unless you had a good jet pilot on your team. Getting bombed mercilessly while being more or less unable to respond was infuriating.

Also, jets should have had flares and missiles from the start. It's like starting the game, being given a pistol with 5 rounds, and told that you have to unlock better weapons. I only got both unlocks because I played a Rush match where the enemy pilots were incompetent and nobody used AA launchers until I became a pest.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
you mean the one where you throw C4 and enter a vehicle right after without letting it complete the animation, the C4 won't detonate?
Must be it, you get out and just keep throwing C4 when you try and detonate.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
This is way better than BF2, where a good jet pilot was basically untouchable unless you had a good jet pilot on your team. Getting bombed mercilessly while being more or less unable to respond was infuriating.

Definitely, the only way to take a jet down in bf2 was to use another jet and be a better pilot. As a helicopter pilot in bf2 I was disgusted each time they made stingers better to curb jets, which did nothing to the jets but made life horrible for helicopter pilots. At one point in time it was so bad that the helicopters never left the pads, people wouldn't even get in them.

Khal_B

I going through some hard times guys. Please recommend an overpowered gun for me to use. I need all the help I can get. I'm tired of losing almost all of my engagements, even when I get the drop on someone. :(

MrBig

Khal_B said:
I going through some hard times guys. Please recommend an overpowered gun for me to use. I need all the help I can get. I'm tired of losing almost all of my engagements, even when I get the drop on someone. :(
Any PDW.

Khal_B said:

Rolling Engi with a Scar-H = Beastly

W1SSY

Khal_B said:
Try the A-91 for the engineer if you have it unlocked. I love it personally and find myself easily winning most gun fights.

Saiyu

blanky said:
Scout right? That one has the minigun for the pilot! Unless you mean the transport one, than you're kind out of luck and depend on gunners and unlocks

Ahhh that's right, completely forget the other one has a gun since I've only been using the Venom today

woo-fu said:
Cap undefended points and kill people with your guns. Use heatseekers now and then on unsuspecting copters/planes. It is just a bit of a slog, particularly since you don't get much time on them.

If you play Conquest Large on Damavand peak grab the scout, drop off your passengers in the enemy base, then fly into the enemy's mine entrance and shoot as many of their infantry from behind before they notice there is a helicopter behind them. :) Nobody is ever looking back towards spawn when they're struggling to take C.

Cheers, had a feeling that would be the map to have the most fun in

eternaLightness said:
I didn't mind Operation Metro that much in the Beta but I really dislike it now.

64-Player Conquest on that map is utter carnage... but I actually kind of like it, the same way I enjoy Deathmatch in Counter-Strike with silly numbers of players.

Kyaw

Bisnic said:
Just beated the campaign, i think it was pretty cool and was a nice challenge even at normal difficulty.

By the way, what happen if
i fail the QTE event at the end with Solomon? Do i get to see Times Square getting nuked? I tried to look for a youtube video, but i couldn't find it.

Yes.

I just had the craziest bug in the final mission of single player (PC). At first I wasn't sure what to think (
after the car chase through Times Square; Solomon was invisible during the entire QTE
). I was thinking that maybe my Blackburn had
split personalities and was beating the shit out of himself to stop himself from arming the nuke in Times Square. Either that or Solomon had acquired a Crysis nanosuit and became invisible.
I just logged onto YouTube and searched for the final mission on there, and sure enough,
Solomon isn't a figment of Blackburn's imagination.
I just beat the hell out of myself in what was supposed to be the most tense moment of the game.

Wat.

Khal_B said:

AEK rips through guys in close-medium ranges. Tons of recoil though so you'll be screwed in long-range scenarios tho.

Woo-Fu said:
What you're failing to appreciate is that there are more than 2 people in the match. The jet pilot isn't just dealing with your stinger/IGLA/heatseeker, he is dealing with everybody on your team who is trying to take him down.

The key to taking them down is to get lock and hold lock, waiting for them to trigger flares *after* somebody else puts a missile up. Then you re-lock and fire your own stinger before their flares have reloaded.

As long as you're hassling them they're not dropping AGMs on your armor. Long as you're hassling them it makes it easier for your own aircraft to operate and/or take down the enemy.

Wow, thanks for the incredibly condescending response. First off, I've been playing Battlefield games for years - I know that it's a team game, thank you very much, and guess what? I still feel like the balance between Engineers and pilots is a bit off. Typically, as an Engineer in my squad, I have the choice of taking an unguided RPG or a heatseeker. There have been too many situations where I've wasted missiles on a plane or chopper that's making mincemeat of my squad, and just as many situations where I wasn't able to deal with a tank or APC harassing us because I had heatseekers which ended up being pointless earlier. I shouldn't have to feel useless for the sake of balance.

Likewise, as a pilot, you get trashed without flares. I don't think my perception that the balance seems to be all-or-nothing makes me "Rambo". Christ, at least you didn't tell me to go back to CoD or something.

goldsoundz said:
I just had the craziest bug in the final mission of single player (PC). At first I wasn't sure what to think--that maybe my Blackburn had
split personalities and was beating the shit out of himself to stop himself from arming the nuke in Times Square. Either that or Solomon had acquired a Crysis nanosuit and became invisible.
I just logged onto YouTube and searched for the final mission on there, and sure enough,
Solomon isn't a figment of Blackburn's imagination.
I just beat the hell out of myself in what was supposed to be the most tense moment of the game.

Wat.

It's funny that a glitch makes the game's story 50 times more interesting, as they honestly went for such a bland, unoriginal campaign of the least Battlefield-ish fashion, with on-rails vehicles, and linear paths throughout.

Black Ops wasn't particularly original, but it at least did something interesting with Cold War paranoia, what with
Reznov being a figment of your imagination after he programmed you.

Khal_B said:

A-91 is pretty OP

Thu it doesn't have a dogtag :(

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
It's funny that a glitch makes the game's story 50 times more interesting, as they honestly went for such a bland, unoriginal campaign of the least Battlefield-ish fashion, with on-rails vehicles, and linear paths throughout.

Black Ops wasn't particularly original, but it at least did something interesting with Cold War paranoia, what with
Reznov being a figment of your imagination after he programmed you.
So I'm not the only one that has had this happen? Still recovering from that QTE--most bizarre shit I've ever seen.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Khal_B said:
Any gun that has a high Rate of Fire, the guns have pretty much no recoil and you can just spray at someones chest and get headshots.

Prologue

Whole team wiped on caspian boarder as they armed the point. Came flying in with my jet and shot all 14 rockets into the zone. Killed the last guy there disarming it.

Feels good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom