• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeMartin

If you hate mortars because you're getting killed by them constantly it's probably because you're a camping asshat.

If you hate mortars because half of your team is sitting in your uncap in a conquest game TKing the shit out of all the people actually contributing, then you're a manly hater.

JambiBum said:
I don't think that I have ever been killed by a mortar. They have hurt me a few times but I usually die by someone else that is finishing up the kill.

Yea I've been messing around with mortars and they really don't do that much damage, you can't even tell if you hit someone with a mortar. The only times a mortars seems to be able to kill people is if they stand still and get hit repeatedly or if you they are firing mortars themselves. A counter-mortar seems to kill instantly

Anton Sugar said:
*fistbump*

I can't tear myself away from them. Haven't repaired a vehicle in days--for shame
lol.gif
Yep, and I don't think I'm ever going back.

I love being a sneaky bastard and seeing those 500+ points show up every minute or so. It's why I'm such a high level (20) I'm sure, because when it comes to shooting people, well... haha.

Facism

Foliorum Viridum said:
I just got the mine proficiency dog tag.

I've destroyed THAT many vehicles. Feels good.

heh on the GAF eu server earlier i mined the US exit in Tehran Highway. Had 0 ammo left and watched a jeep speed over the mines and then fly off halfway across the map :D

Well it finally happened. Committed two team kills so far

Ran a teammate over while trying to get a jet in the air, and knifed one of my own teammates in the face

The knife headshot was pretty funny

derFeef

I tried mines, but I never got any luck with them so far, so I went back to repairs. But then again I do not play engineer anymore, because 4 engineers in a squad is a little bit ridiculous.

derFeef said:
I tried mines, but I never got any luck with them so far, so I went back to repairs. But then again I do not play engineer anymore, because 4 engineers in a squad is a little bit ridiculous.
It's piss easy once you learn the maps and know where vehicles travel a lot. I try to hide them a bit, but most of the time I just shove them in the middle of a road.

iSurvivedTheOutage said:
Anyone gotten the infamous kill a person with a repair tool scenario yet?
I got a headshot with it the first night, mostly because I was still trying to remember controls, and forgot how to knife someone.

ziadoz

Neo Member
The motar really needs some kind of ammo limit or cool down time. Played a few rounds of Rush today and some guy was just pounding the MCOMs with it once they were armed making it impossible to disarm. What makes it worse is when the guy was in Out of Bounds areas so we couldn't get at him. Really frustrating tactic.

Megasoum

Banned
iSurvivedTheOutage said:
what type of dr pepper do i need to purchase? 20 oz or case?

The easiest way to do it is to buy codes off ebay... I did it from Canada and it worked perfectly. Paid 2.50USD for 5 codes. Just search "Dr. Pepper codes" in the videogame category. It doesn't matter if they are codes for any other games (I bought codes marked as "Skate 3 codes").... All the Dr.Pepper EA codes from the last couple of years work fine with BF3.

Gui_PT

Megasoum said:
The easiest way to do it is to buy codes off ebay... I did it from Canada and it worked perfectly. Paid 2.50USD for 5 codes. Just search "Dr. Pepper codes" in the videogame category. It doesn't matter if they are codes for any other games (I bought codes marked as "Skate 3 codes").... All the Dr.Pepper EA codes from the last couple of years work fine with BF3.

But I want them for free =(

J-Rock

Banned
leng jai said:
I do seem to be getting killed by mortars an awful lot.

It's mostly due to the orange/red triangle showing up on map when you shoot. Mortars can target right in on you.

Actually, does attaching suppressor to your gun make it so you aren't seen on map while shooting? Might help if so.

derFeef

Foliorum Viridum said:
It's piss easy once you learn the maps and know where vehicles travel a lot. I try to hide them a bit, but most of the time I just shove them in the middle of a road.
I layed them down on the typical tank routes on the maps but they seem to vanish/get destroyed beforehand sadly. I just think this game hates me :)

AndyD

aka andydumi
vaelic said:
anyone else notice the camo type you select keeps resetting each map?

Yep. Annoying.

Also, I was on a server that was rubberbanding earlier and someone said something in the chat log that made me laugh: "Jeez, this server must be on a 9600baud modem". Stupid I know, but it made me laugh at the time.

Also, metro 64 conquest is a perfect place to rack up heal/revive points. I think I had a 3000 point game earlier with 0 kills and 1 death. Not good for anything else though, 0 fun.

Foliorum Viridum said:

Throw them around the roads at the flags and wait for your kills to come flying in when some idiot races through with a jeep full of people.

The thing is, I can't imagine Metro CQ would work well for 32 players, let alone 64. Couldn't DICE have, I don't know, added width to the map instead of just cutting out the most narrow part of a map clearly designed for Rush?

Woorloog

Banned
derFeef said:
I layed them down on the typical tank routes on the maps but they seem to vanish/get destroyed beforehand sadly. I just think this game hates me :)
Vanish? How many mines you lay? Didn't BC2 have cap of 6 mines (7th removed the first one, right?) per player, maybe BF3 has a cap as well?

n0n44m

more annoying is the fact you can't spot or destroy the mines with bullets, but only destroy them with explosions

which is cumbersome enough when you're in a tank, but in a jeep you really can't do anything.

Has anyone found out a way to scale down the chat window and the icons above any objectives? I have to play with a smaller resolution to get at least 40 FPS and the chat window takes about 40% of my screen up, and the objective icons take up atleast 10% depending in the direction I am facing and the map.

Does anyone have any tips on squeezing as much FPS as possible out of this game?

Quick Edit--- I don't know why I get such a low FPS now, in the Alpha I got at least 120 FPS, now I am lucky if I can stay around 40.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Pretty much.

I know I've blown you up a few times, you idiot. ;)

I do not remember that, so I do not believe you. I always remember when your name shows up on the dog tag and I imagine Larry David yelling out insults while killing me.

:(

abuC

MutantCyborg said:
Has anyone found out a way to scale down the chat window and the icons above any objectives? I have to play with a smaller resolution to get at least 40 FPS and the chat window takes about 40% of my screen up, and the objective icons take up atleast 10% depending in the direction I am facing and the map.

I came in here to ask the same thing, it's really annoying.

ss_lemonade

When playing coop, during the 2nd mission how I can be the driver of the chopper? I was trying out the coop mode the other day with this random player and he chose the 2nd level. He was the pilot and we never lasted more than 5 seconds because of him crashing every time. Everytime we restarted, he was always the pilot T_T

Guesong

georaldc said:
When playing coop, during the 2nd mission how I can be the driver of the chopper? I was trying out the coop mode the other day with this random player and he chose the 2nd level. He was the pilot and we never lasted more than 5 seconds because of him crashing every time. Everytime we restarted, he was always the pilot T_T

It's totally random ; each player has a 50 % chance of being the pilot.

Sometimes you get streaks of partners being the pilot, sometimes the reverse.

Damn. This game absolutely deserves to get its ass handed to it by MW3. Janky, janky shit.

And this is coming from somebody that doesn't even like CoD.

It may be the same shit every year, but at least its fucking polished.

DanielJr82

Question: How does the "heavy barrel" attachment increases accuracy if it also increases vertical recoil? It says it doesn't do higher damage either, so all I'm seeing is negatives here.

DanielJr82 said:
Question: How does the "heavy barrel" attachment increases accuracy if it also increases vertical recoil? It says it doesn't do higher damage either, so all I'm seeing is negatives here.

It's less accurate than normal in burst/full auto.

KorrZ

The Antitype said:
Damn. This game absolutely deserves to get its ass handed to it by MW3. Janky, janky shit.

Uh? Could you elaborate on what your problems with it are?

MNC

DanielJr82 said:
Bullet spread is smaller, recoil is bigger. It's a matter of "if you're good at countering recoil, you'll effectively have a better bullet spread as well".

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
KorrZ said:
Uh? Could you elaborate on what your problems with it are?

Ignore him, this is his shtick. He comes into threads and bashes the games, then when you call him out on it he says pieces he "likes," as to seem relevant whilst bashing the game as a whole.

DanielJr82

Anton Sugar said:
It's less accurate than normal in burst/full auto.
Eh? So it's only effective with single shot? Why have it with an assault rifle then? (It takes more than half a clip to down someone in the first place.) It doesn't affect bullet spread either, then?

-Stealth Edit-
MNC said:
Bullet spread is smaller, recoil is bigger. It's a matter of "if you're good at countering recoil, you'll effectively have a better bullet spread as well".
Oh, so it does affect bullet spread.

Alienshogun said:
Ignore him, this is his shtick. He comes into threads and bashes the games, then when you call him out on it he says pieces he "likes," as to seem relevant whilst bashing the game as a whole.
I was just about to write the same thing. He trolled the Gears 3 OT pretty hard, got banned for it too.

meppi

The Antitype said:

Put this shit in the garbage thread please. /rolleyes.

meppi

Dina said:
So only use heavy barrel with single shot?
That would be a good idea, although I prefer to use the silencer actually.
And I always use the semi-auto mode for my riffles. Unless I go into a tight area where I know at least 2-3 people are hiding, then I switch to auto.

Really wish we'd have the option to select a gun mode so that the game remembers how you prefer to use them.
As it it right now I have to manually switch to semi-auto every single time I spawn. :(

KorrZ

Alienshogun said:

I remember him from the Gears 3 OT, but I figured it was fair to at least give him a chance to try and give some valid criticisms.

My main issue is the gunplay. I think it's the worst gunplay of recent AAA shooters i've played. I've continually got 5 or 6 hitmarkers on a guy and he turns around and one shots me. It makes the game way less fun when I shoot at someone and have to pray they die. I know i'll take a ton of flak for this but this is just my opinion.

NIN90

Oh god the SV98 is just shit. It never does one hit kills (unless it's a headshot) and the striaght pull bolt takes 60 kills to unlock. No thanks.

JoeMartin said:
If you hate mortars because you're getting killed by them constantly it's probably because you're a camping asshat.
Or because you're trying to help your team win by disarming an M-COM that is being pummeled by mortar fire. I've died that way three times now :(

Mobius1B7R said:
My main issue is the gunplay. I think it's the worst gunplay of recent AAA shooters i've played. I've continually got 5 or 6 hitmarkers on a guy and he turns around and one shots me. It makes the game way less fun when I shoot at someone and have to pray they die. I know i'll take a ton of flak for this but this is just my opinion.
It's a huge improvement over BC2, but compared to Counter-Strike and Call of Duty, it still has a long way to go. I don't have the same confidence in my guns that I do in those games.

Thankfully, there's a lot more to the game than just the gunplay.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mobius1B7R said:

I guess it depends on the server and your internet connection. And platform.

I have games like that, but its usually the server's fault. So I hop out then onto another and problems go away.

Rubberbanding and odd hit detection are dead giveaways of lag, so I just try another server. I have also noticed some servers start acting up right before going belly up and needing a restart. GAF server is that way.

Overall its not perfect, but its not terrible by any means. Theres so much to do overall.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Haven't played much Assault until now but assault rifles feel waaaaaaay too strong. They were pretty rewarding to use in BC2, but with the semi-automatic firing mode it's too easy to hit targets at medium/long range.

Edit: See my score below Tokubetsu's lol. Never really used assault rifles that much before that round.

KorrZ

Ysiadmihi said:
Haven't played much Assault until now but assault rifles feel waaaaaaay too strong. They were pretty rewarding to use in BC2, but with the semi-automatic firing mode it's too easy to hit targets at medium/long range.

I'm surprised more people don't take advantage of the semi-auto honestly. Gets so many long range kills so easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom