• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
iSurvivedTheOutage said:
wtf my dr pepp code aint working

Make sure to not put any dashes in your codes... The first time I got some the guy put dashes in his mail and it took me a good 10 min to find the problem lol.

Edit: Oh snap...I'm a big boy now, no more junior! Yay

Seanspeed

Banned
Ok, I'm still new to Battlefield, but I'm completely lost on how to play Conquest properly. I get the basic gist - hold a flag. But what about the specifics. I swear to god, nobody on my team would talk so I could get no answers at all. I've been playing Rush almost exclusively and I want to try out something different now that I know that maps.

How do you secure a flag? Sometimes when I'm near a flag, it 'neutralizes it', sometimes it 'captures it' and other times it doesn't do a god damn thing. The spawn points are also labeled different than I'm used to. I spawn somewhere and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do once I spawn. I feel like I'm playing TDM style as I just stick around and kill people I see but I dont know how to be an effective player in this mode.

Any tips and/or explanations would be very much appreciated.

Seanspeed said:
Ok, I'm still new to Battlefield, but I'm completely lost on how to play Conquest properly. I get the basic gist - hold a flag. But what about the specifics. I swear to god, nobody on my team would talk so I could get no answers at all. I've been playing Rush almost exclusively and I want to try out something different now that I know that maps.

How do you secure a flag? Sometimes when I'm near a flag, it 'neutralizes it', sometimes it 'captures it' and other times it doesn't do a god damn thing. The spawn points are also labeled different than I'm used to. I spawn somewhere and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do once I spawn. I feel like I'm playing TDM style as I just stick around and kill people I see but I dont know how to be an effective player in this mode.

1. Stay in the capture radius to neutralize the flag. Once the flag is neutralized, you get another timer upon which you capture the flag. If there is an enemy near the radius, the timer will stop until you or the enemy dies or get out of the radius.

2. Usually maps have 3-5 capture points marked A, B, C, D and E. Blue markers mean it's yours. Grey means its a neutral point. Orange means it's enemy territory. Captured territories become spawn points. Run out of all zones and you can only spawn at squad member, vehicles or starting base.

3. Having more flags than enemy will slowly bleed enemy ticker, usually 300. Once they run out of ticker, you win. Killing enemies also reduce ticker.

4. Read OP for more tips.

Will punkbuster kick/ban if you use the steam overlay? I would like to use some of the steam functions but don't want to get banned because of it :/

Megasoum

Banned
Seanspeed said:

You capture points by standing near the flag. You will start by neutralizing it and then you automatically start to cap it afterward. You need to be more people from your team than the other team near the flag for the ticker to go down. So if you see the ticker stop moving while you are capping it that means that there is an equal number of people from both teams near the flag. If you are near the flag and the ticker is going the wrong way that means there is more people from the other team than there is from your team (aka check your back, you are about to die lol).

The first team to get to 0 tickets looses. You can reduce the other team's ticket count by killing them (-1 ticket per death) and by holding more points. The less flags your team hold the faster your tickets will drain.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Seanspeed said:

-To capture a flag you need to stay in the vicinity of it. You know your close enough when the flags icon appears in the center of your screen.
- As you cap it you should see a circle around the flag icon fill up in your colour.
- To cap the flag there has to be more members of your team within the radius then members of the other team, if equal amounts of players around around it then the progress bar will remain still until one side gains the advantage.
- This changes a bit when taking a flag that belongs to the enemy, first you have to drain the enemy color from the bar (so the progress bar goes in reverse during this process) which then puts the flag in a neutral state. The progress bar will then fill up with your teams colour afterwhich is becomes yours.

Seanspeed

Banned
shagg_187 said:
1. Stay in the capture radius to neutralize the flag. Once the flag is neutralized, you get another timer upon which you capture the flag. If there is an enemy near the radius, the timer will stop until you or the enemy dies or get out of the radius.

2. Usually maps have 3-5 capture points marked A, B, C, D and E. Blue markers mean it's yours. Grey means its a neutral point. Orange means it's enemy territory.

3. Having more flags than enemy will slowly bleed enemy ticker, usually 300. Once they run out of ticker, you win. Killing enemies also reduce ticker.

4. Read OP for more tips.
Thanks. So if a flag is neutral, it means nobody is gaining/losing anything? You have to stick around for a good while in order to not only neutralize a flag, but also to secure it? And whats with the different shapes? Sometimes there's squares and other times there's squares rotated 45 degrees. What does this mean?

mcrae

DanielJr82 said:
Question: How does the "heavy barrel" attachment increases accuracy if it also increases vertical recoil? It says it doesn't do higher damage either, so all I'm seeing is negatives here.
i think it descreases horizontal recoil too

Seanspeed

Banned
Megasoum said:
You capture points by standing near the flag. You will start by neutralizing it and then you automatically start to cap it afterward. You need to be more people from your team than the other team near the flag for the ticker to go down. So if you see the ticker stop moving while you are capping it that means that there is an equal number of people from both teams near the flag. If you are near the flag and the ticker is going the wrong way that means there is more people from the other team than there is from your team (aka check your back, you are about to die lol).

The first team to get to 0 tickets looses. You can reduce the other team's ticket count by killing them (-1 ticket per death) and by holding more points. The less flags your team hold the faster your tickets will drain.
Ok yea, I didn't get that. Sometimes I'd be sitting around a flag and nothing would be happening.

KorrZ said:
Uh? Could you elaborate on what your problems with it are?

Mostly mantling over stuff or through windows. Completely inconsistent, and it still plays out the entire animation, even when it's not possible to mantle over/through it.

Been stuck in/on geometry more than a few times, usually as the result of accepting a revive too close to a wall or a car or something.

Been frozen/stuck to the door of a jeep after exiting, can't move, crouch, reload, throw grenades, just look around (limited FOV) and fire.

Other stuff is mostly balance. Planes have too many flares, SCAR makes Engineers a little too good at straight-up infantry combat, small irritating stuff like that which piles up.

I'll be honest and say I posted that after a particularly horrid game, so it was posted in a frustrated state up mind.

That said, I played BFBC2 for like, 200 hours, and I don't see BF3 being any different. I just hope they patch some of the rough edges.

And for the record, all my complaints about Gears of War 3 centered around the SOS. After they addressed the range (abit), I stopped posting complaints cause I really didn't have any. Been playing the game a lot since then, up to lvl 70.

Megasoum

Banned
Seanspeed said:
Thanks. So if a flag is neutral, it means nobody is gaining/losing anything? You have to stick around for a good while in order to not only neutralize a flag, but also to secure it? And whats with the different shapes? Sometimes there's squares and other times there's squares rotated 45 degrees. What does this mean?

Blue square it's yours, orange square it's the other team's. The diamond means it's still neutral (and you obviously don't need to neutralize it...the moment you get near it you will start capping).

IMACOMPUTA

MrTroubleMaker said:
Will punkbuster kick/ban if you use the steam overlay? I would like to use some of the steam functions but don't want to get banned because of it :/
I use it. Not getting kicked/banned.

jediyoshi

Finally got Battlefield Heroes Veteran status working by contacting EA support. I imagine they don't even crosscheck to see if you've played it or not.

Smokey

NIN90 said:
Oh god the SV98 is just shit. It never does one hit kills (unless it's a headshot) and the striaght pull bolt takes 60 kills to unlock. No thanks.

1qimgi.png

Wrong. It's great once you get its mechanics down.

njean777 said:
Just unlocked the SKS for the sniper, and OMG is it amazing.

Yes it is. Can be used as a rushing weapon to, as it has a pretty high rate of fire.

MikeTyson

Banned
After earning the Night vision optical for my M4 assault rifle, I find it hard to go back to another weapon/ w/ regular iron sights or anything else :/

Scope is awesome.

MikeTyson

Banned
jediyoshi said:
Finally got Battlefield Heroes Veteran status working by contacting EA support. I imagine they don't even crosscheck to see if you've played it or not.
EA support gave me vet. status 7 for nothing. Only Battlefield game I've played prior to this was BC2.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
great now I need to go get 10+ Dr. Pepper codes

Oh wells, time to guzzle down some 23 ingredients enriched soda, YUM!

wanting another copy of bf3 on pc for my brother, where is the cheapest place (with non russian keys) to snag me a copy or key to activate on origin?

Anton Sugar said:
Click on the server and then click the Add as Favorite button.

There's nothing fucked up about squad spawning--it would be moronic to not let you spawn on someone if they're being shot. Just watch what is happening before you spawn--they let you watch your teammate for a reason.

But while I'm playing a match, there's no way to put the server on my favorites, is there? No way to do it in between rounds, either, so I guess I have to memorize the server name before I join in the event that I want to add it to my favorites later. Seems really backwards.

As for squad spawning, I dunno, maybe I'm just really unlucky. I'll watch my teammate before I spawn, nothing's going on, but right when I spawn I'll be shot by an enemy. Every single time. It's infuriating.

And one last question: silencers prevent me from showing up on the mini-map when I fire, correct? Like in COD?

Megasoum

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
great now I need to go get 10+ Dr. Pepper codes

Oh wells, time to guzzle down some 23 ingredients enriched soda, YUM!

Or...you know...

Ebay

(wow it's like twice the price it was last week lol... I paid 2.50 for 5 codes...anyway probably still cheaper than buying actual Dr Pepper lol)

GJS

Jack Scofield said:
But while I'm playing a match, there's no way to put the server on my favorites, is there? No way to do it in between rounds, either, so I guess I have to memorize the server name before I join in the event that I want to add it to my favorites later. Seems really backwards.
Just press Alt+Enter and then favourite it in battlelog whilst you are waiting for the round to start or something.

They made BF3 this compatible with switching to windowed mode/alt tabbing for a reason.

GJS said:
Just press Alt+Enter and then favourite it in battlelog whilst you are waiting for the round to start or something.

They made BF3 this compatible with switching to windowed mode/alt tabbing for a reason.

I think he is talking about console version? If not then there's lots of ways, could also just wait until you have played your games and look in your battlelog where all the match stats are, there you can click on the server too. You could also just click history in the server tab. You can even use the origin browser to do it if you don't want to tab out.

WoodenLung said:
I think he is talking about console version? If not then there's lots of ways, could also just wait until you have played your games and look in your battlelog where all the match stats are, there you can click on the server too. You could also just click history in the server tab.

Yep, console version here. Checking Server History seems like the easiest thing to do. Thanks for that. I'm not going to bother signing up to Battlelog or whatever it is just to do something that should be available within the game anyway.

Still can't believe they don't have "Add Server to Favorites" on the pause menu.

GJS

WoodenLung said:
I think he is talking about console version? If not then there's lots of ways, could also just wait until you have played your games and look in your battlelog where all the match stats are, there you can click on the server too. You could also just click history in the server tab. You can even use the origin browser to do it if you don't want to tab out.
I forget the console version has a server browser now.

Jack Scofield said:

As for squad spawning, I dunno, maybe I'm just really unlucky. I'll watch my teammate before I spawn, nothing's going on, but right when I spawn I'll be shot by an enemy. Every single time. It's infuriating.

And one last question: silencers prevent me from showing up on the mini-map when I fire, correct? Like in COD?

Battlelog Battle Reports list the server, and you can just alt+tab the moment you want to add it, and add it in your browser. Different, but not really.

GraveRobberX

Megasoum said:
Or...you know...

Ebay

(wow it's like twice the price it was last week lol... I paid 2.50 for 5 codes...anyway probably still cheaper than buying actual Dr Pepper lol)

But I wanna drink the goodness =3, to go along with my codes to use in BF3

I put my Dr. Pepper's in the Freezer, I put them for like 45minutes, chilled enough to be arctic, but not yet be slushie, it feels fucking amazing drinking that
My chest feels so good after 2 burps of that coldness

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Unlocked some type of m4 that has a 3 shot burst. Uh... it's ridiculous. The burst is SO MUCH BETTER.

Rimfya

Banned
The Antitype said:
Damn. This game absolutely deserves to get its ass handed to it by MW3. Janky, janky shit.

And this is coming from somebody that doesn't even like CoD.

It may be the same shit every year, but at least its fucking polished.
Trolling, but valid.

One thing I dislike is that vehicles will kill people standing outside them when they perish. I know that's more realistic, but one of the things I really enjoyed doing in BFBC2 was destroying enemy vehicles with the repair tool. If you do it with the blow torch in BF3 it's an automatic suicide :(

Also it's another reason for engineers to not try and repair friendly vehicles: if it's near death then it's likely to explode and kill you. With so few people attempting to repair as it is (most engineers I've seen are taking mines now) it just seems like an approach that doesn't make the game more enjoyable for anybody.

The Antitype said:
Damn. This game absolutely deserves to get its ass handed to it by MW3. Janky, janky shit.

And this is coming from somebody that doesn't even like CoD.

It may be the same shit every year, but at least its fucking polished.

You're saying that Black Ops is polished?

CzarTim

Has anyone experienced the game (PC) crashing and losing all progress of that round. I thought it saved after each death? Three times it's happened to me since launch.

GraveRobberX

No one spots

Why, so someone else can get the kill, and you get a measly 10 points

Why oh why would you spot the helicopter/jets, you know so your teammates know oh I can take them out

They seriously need to add a loading screen Q/Select/Back button helps you win games for each platform

So annoying on PS3, no mics, if there is a guy with mic, there's so much background noise of shit happening in their household, you lose concentration

The best are the assholes who grab tank, taxi it to objective, leave tank, die, give enemy our fucking tank, GOOD JOB YOU MOTHERFUCKING MORONS, you really changed the battle in our favor

Attackers camp more than Defenders, it's fucking sad, Defenders have to be near the objective, hence DEFENDERS, Defending
It is so fucking stupid to have 4-6+ Recons and their MK11MOD sit back, and you just hear inept shooting, of just little firecrackers going off, then 30 seconds later it goes quiet due to them dieing, then the shit starts up again, repeating the process from the SAME FUCKING LOCATION

Effect

CzarTim said:
Has anyone experienced the game (PC) crashing and losing all progress of that round. I thought it saved each death? Three times it's happened to me since launch.

Been happening to me all day long. The official forums are filled with people having this issue. I'm done with the game until this is patched. An actual patch and not some server patching. I've mostly leveled up by getting into games that were half way done. Most rounds I start (there have been a few where the game hasn't crashed) I never finish because of the game crashing and I have to force close the game.

I was originally going to go with the PS3 version to not to have to deal with this crap. I should have stayed on that path or at least not changed my mind at the last minute when I decided to wait on the game. The price for the PC download was to tempting and I wasn't thinking right at the time anyway. Never make purchase decisions while medicated. Ugh. Frustrated at this game at the moment. I firmly believe my system isn't the issue here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom