• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The_Darkest_Red said:
I also play rush exclusively so who knows how widely different our experiences are...

That would contribute pretty significantly to our different experiences, given that the mainline Battlefield games were built on the foundations of Conquest. I do like Rush from time to time, but for me the authentic Battlefield 3 experience is all about ~64 player conquest on Caspian and Firestorm

Marvie_3

Banned
evlcookie said:
Anyone else also get the odd issue of C4 looking like it's stuck to a vehicle as you chase it only then to detonate it and it's classified as a suicide? It's happened so many times.
Yeah this has happened to me a bunch of times. So frustrating.

Twinduct

EatChildren said:
That would contribute pretty significantly to our different experiences, given that the mainline Battlefield games were built on the foundations of Conquest. I do like Rush from time to time, but for me the authentic Battlefield 3 experience is all about ~64 player conquest on Caspian and Firestorm

I love conquest, but thanks to local servers having serious rubber banding issues on all 64 player servers, I've completely just been playing 32 player rush and mixed.
(Hardcore yo)

God I wish DICE, or in my case local server providers, can get this fixed. I need 64player conquest maps. 32 players just feels off for conquest.

EatChildren said:
I think if I was playing the game on PC I would prefer conquest due to the larger player count, but it doesn't seem like a mode that's very well suited to 24 players. I'm definitely a new breed of BF fan though, because rush is really what captivated me. I still think it's the best MP mode ever in an FPS.

The_Monk

What's the most played mode so far? (PS3)

And which is recommended for the not-so-good players beginners?

I'm really hope that the game improves regarding some complains I've been reading in this thread. Because I can't/don't want to have/buy two FPS's this holiday. But it sure would be tempting...

I really hope it's just a launch issue, but I feel like I've been getting FAR more deaths after I drop/run behind cover compared to the beta. It's just as bad as BC2 at points.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Anton Sugar said:
I really hope it's just a launch issue, but I feel like I've been getting FAR more deaths after I drop/run behind cover compared to the beta. It's just as bad as BC2 at points.

Agreed. I find myself dropping into prone much less often because I don't feel like it's helping me as much as it did during the beta. People seem to be able to kill me when I should be safe much more often than I was used to. Might just be on 64 player servers though.

omgkitty

Is there anyway to switch to easy once you've started the campaign without starting over? I am really starting to realize how stupid the single player is in this game, and being a bullet magnet no matter where you are hiding is really starting to piss me off, especially since there is no achievement for beating on normal. Also that glitchy effect when changing menu options is so fucking annoying!

The_Monk said:
What's the most played mode so far? (PS3)

And which is recommended for the not-so-good players beginners?

I'm really hope that the game improves regarding some complains I've been reading in this thread. Because I can't/don't want to have/buy two FPS's this holiday. But it sure would be tempting...
Play rush. It's a great mode to learn on because you always have an idea of which direction the enemy will be coming from. The rules are also very simple.

GrizzNKev said:
Agreed. I find myself dropping into prone much less often because I don't feel like it's helping me as much as it did during the beta. People seem to be able to kill me when I should be safe much more often than I was used to. Might just be on 64 player servers though.
This happens once in awhile on PS3 as well.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DenogginizerOS said:
A lot of those issues are in the pc version as well.
I think it's pretty clear that the final weeks of development were compressed heavily in order to meet the release date. The game clearly wasn't 100% ready to ship. They simply wanted to beat Call of Duty to the shelves at any cost. I'd imagine the final few months of development were pure hell for DICE employees.

ruxtpin

Banned
I was thinking of switching out my 360 copy for a PS3 one (should have done that originally anyway), to get DTS support/better sound and maybe a more mature community.

How's the mic support on the PS3 at the moment?

scogoth said:
Played with him and they he left cause it was too laggy.

lol.gif

Seriously?

mbmonk

Spokker said:
Sony and Microsoft's services likely collect data on everything you do if you connect your console to the Internet, but if all you do is play video games it's hardly as important as Origin scanning your tax return.

I don't keep personal info on my console like I do on my PC. So that is less of a concern for me. I guess I just don't get why EA or Steam think they should be able to scan my PC for programs I have installed and uninstalled.

Spokker said:
Privacy on the Internet is very important.

It's up to the individual to make that call. EA failing to give the end user an opt out option makes it an all or nothing call. I would like to play BF3 on my PC and not have Origin scan my PC, but that option doesn't exist so far.

Spokker said:
Steam does scan what applications you have on your system as well.
As I understand it you can opt out of this on Steam, but it is not the case for Origin.

Spokker said:
If you value privacy you might as well write off all modern PC gaming.

Why? To my knowledge only EA has created a situation where you can't opt out. This just seems like an exaggeration on your part. If you want to elaborate on this point feel free.

Spokker said:
I'm wondering how Origin is enjoying all of the very sensitive legal information on the PC I run BF3 on (not my information, other people's info), but that game is just that good.

That's your call. I am not worried about Origin stealing my tax returns; I just don't see the cost/benefit ratio being even close to favoring the customer. Origin takes up system resources by scanning my harddrive and collecting info on me so that they can serve me better ads? How is that a good trade off for the consumer? I think I would prefer they not scan my PC and serve me shittier ads. Overall, I am thinking thanks but no thanks on this one.

The_Darkest_Red said:
As a relatively new fan of the Battlefield series I'm kind of curious what the PC community thinks of the game so far. I own BF 1942 but I never played it much and BC2 is really the first BF game that hooked me.

What I'm wondering is, does this game feel like a proper sequel to BF2 to you guys, or does it feel more like a BC3? Somewhere in between?

It feels like a battlefield sequel in the larger maps in conquest modes. But then you have shit maps like Metro and Damavand Peak which are maps that belong in other online shooters with tiny player counts, it doesn't feel like a BF game.

The map design is odd since they are so different with maps designed for different player counts or game modes in mind as some are obviously Rush maps made for small games, which does not feel like battlefield.

Anton Sugar said:

Sure you are not just getting shot through the cover? Lot of cover elements can be shot through without destroying it, there is some bullet penetration on light cover elements and walls. I've taken out many who would dive behind a wall or container element, yet I can still shoot through it and hit them.

Binabik15

My copies were posted last week and Game's websizr claims that shipping to Germany takes about three days, yet they're not here. I couldn't play on the weekend and tomorrow is a holiday. *knocks over magazine rack*

I want to unlock some carrots placed on sticks :(

Bit-Bit

dark10x said:
I think it's pretty clear that the final weeks of development were compressed heavily in order to meet the release date. The game clearly wasn't 100% ready to ship. They simply wanted to beat Call of Duty to the shelves at any cost. I'd imagine the final few months of development were pure hell for DICE employees.

Must be, from the way they were responding to fans that were bitching, they didn't seem too happy.

CrankyJay

Banned
Had a great moment on Caspian last night as support. I put 2 c4 on the road and blew it up as a tank rolled over it, disabling it. Dropped an ammo box, refilled my C4. I circled around some rocks and there was an engineer at the back of the tank repairing it. Knifed him and got his dogtags, then c4'd the back of the tank where the driver was and blew it up getting the second kill.

Both of them said I scared the crap out of them. Awesome feeling.

Is it just me or are mortars SUPER OVERPOWERED in Grand Bazaar? My last match there degenerated into a mortar/rocket spamfest, but mortars were worse. We could not take point E at all.

Dakota47

The_Darkest_Red said:
As a relatively new fan of the Battlefield series I'm kind of curious what the PC community thinks of the game so far. I own BF 1942 but I never played it much and BC2 is really the first BF game that hooked me.

What I'm wondering is, does this game feel like a proper sequel to BF2 to you guys, or does it feel more like a BC3? Somewhere in between?

As a Battlefield 2 veteran with at least 500 hours clocked I can safely say that BF3 is some of the most fun I have had online since BF2.

I think I'm warming up to Operation Metro a bit. 32 player Conquest was a blast and I scored a shit ton of kills. Choke points seem to be well designed at the B capture point. My team won both rounds, pushing up the stairs and defending the stairs from the top. We even managed to get all three on the second round, pushing down the stairs into the tracks.

Geez I am so.fucking.bad at this game. My K/D ratio and terrible (like .6 or something) and I lose matches way more than I win them. I am only level 5 and it seems to take forever to level up because I barely do any point after each match.

It feels like I have to stuck to either sniper or vehicules in order to stay alive a bit longer than I am used to.

Fuck me...

CozMick

Banned
papersleeves said:
Geez I am so.fucking.bad at this game. My K/D ratio and terrible (like .6 or something) and I lose matches way more than I win them. I am only level 5 and it seems to take forever to level up because I barely do any point after each match.

It feels like I have to stuck to either sniper or vehicules in order to stay alive a bit longer than I am used to.

Fuck me...

Medics are a great way to level up in Conquest, just sit back behind a squad, watch them die, revive, repeat, easily a few thousand xp in one game without a single kill :)

Man, this game is going to kill me, I am having so much fun with it. The feeling of seeing yourself and like 10 other teammates as you storm a capture point from the back or the roof is simply amazing. This definitely feels like a proper Battlefield game to me.

GodofWine

Is there a 'Damage' chart for the guns anywhere?? I've never seen a FPS not rank the guns damage, I only see aummunition type, range, rate of fire...are we supposed reseach the munitions ourselves?!

Flashlights and laser are seriously going to break the game, everyone will use them, then no one will be able to see shit...its fitting of the COD series, but not this one....why not just make crazy nazi dogs with flashlights on them while you are at it?!

Wolf Akela said:
Is it just me or are mortars SUPER OVERPOWERED in Grand Bazaar? My last match there degenerated into a mortar/rocket spamfest, but mortars were worse. We could not take point E at all.
The trick to Grand Bazaar is finding your way around to where you're behind the enemy. There are plenty of tunnels and hallways that allow you to do so. That infamous hallway dubbed "The Hall of Duty" distracts so many people to the point where they are extremely open to behind wrecked from behind. And in the case of mortars, they have no way of seeing themselves being flanked directly so it makes it really easy to jump em.

Deadbeat

Banned
GodofWine said:
Is there a 'Damage' chart for the guns anywhere?? I've never seen a FPS not rank the guns damage, I only see aummunition type, range, rate of fire...are we supposed reseach the munitions ourselves?!

Den Kirson who does cod and Bad company hasnt even bothered with it afaik. So I think its going to be a while until someone rips open all the stats sheets and sees what each attachment, perk, and gun has to offer.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
papersleeves said:

Fuck me...
If you want to level up fast then just play Metro Conquest and go Medic and heal/revive, can make 5k a round easily.

ElyrionX

They really need to do something about the scope glint. I mean, sniper rifles are already not one-hit kill so why do they need to gimp the recon class further?. The scope glint makes the recon class practically worthless. Every goddamn fucker on the map can see you when you're prone in the bushes. And the worst part of the scope glint is that, it's there even when you're not aiming down the scope as implied by the description of the scopes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
papersleeves said:

Fuck me...

Though it depends on the map, mode and player count, remember that Battlefield 3 is not Call of Duty, so there's less emphasis on kill kill kill to be a valuable member of your team. By reviving, sharing ammo and medkits, laying down suppressing fire, spotting, transporting, and being around to help capture points, you can be one of the highest scoring players on your team with very few kills. Hell you can have the most deaths and least kills of your entire team and still make the top of the scoreboard if you play your cards right.

CrankyJay

Banned
ElyrionX said:
They really need to do something about the scope glint. I mean, sniper rifles are already not one-hit kill so why do they need to gimp the recon class further?. The scope glint makes the recon class practically worthless. Every goddamn fucker on the map can see you when you're prone in the bushes. And the worst part of the scope glint is that, it's there even when you're not aiming down the scope as implied by the description of the scopes.

Oh that sucks. I thought the glint only appeared when you were zoomed in, not all the time. That's complete crap.

Calibur said:
Is anyone finding the SpecOps missions fun or are they just unnecessary as the SinglePlayer Campaign?

Some are a bit boring and uninspired. However, others are fucking awesome--I think "Drop Em Like Liquid" is one of my fav co-op levels in a long time.

Deadbeat said:
Den Kirson who does cod and Bad company hasnt even bothered with it afaik. So I think its going to be a while until someone rips open all the stats sheets and sees what each attachment, perk, and gun has to offer.

I was checking the forums and it sounds like it's a pain in the ass. Apparently, from alpha to beta to final, DICE added a layer of encryption each time, so there are essentially three levels to each file that needs to be accessed. Haven't seen anything from Den himself, though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Despite the mostly smooth performance, I've ended up using Bandicam to limit my framerate to 30 fps. Not only does this guarantee perfect consistency, but it also allows me to crank all of the graphical details and image quality improvements to the max. It really looks phenomenal like this.

To get 60 fps, I have to limit myself to 1600x900 at High details and, even then, it dips at times.

dark10x said:
Despite the mostly smooth performance, I've ended up using Bandicam to limit my framerate to 30 fps. Not only does this guarantee perfect consistency, but it also allows me to crank all of the graphical details and image quality improvements to the max. It really looks phenomenal like this.

To get 60 fps, I have to limit myself to 1600x900 at High details and, even then, it dips at times.

What kind of machine do you have?

Fraps and the ingame FPS counter say that i have between 90fps to 70fps but something just feels off, it just doesnt feel completely smooth and the changes in fps are pretty distracting, i am considering doing the 30fps trick you have there, any more info on how its done?

Lanbeast

EatChildren said:
Though it depends on the map, mode and player count, remember that Battlefield 3 is not Call of Duty, so there's less emphasis on kill kill kill to be a valuable member of your team. By reviving, sharing ammo and medkits, laying down suppressing fire, spotting, transporting, and being around to help capture points, you can be one of the highest scoring players on your team with very few kills. Hell you can have the most deaths and least kills of your entire team and still make the top of the scoreboard if you play your cards right.

My brother went 1-6 last night on Rush - Tehran Highway, and was first on our team by about 800 points. He just did a lot of support stuff and was constantly arming MCOMs.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Fuck Co-Op, sick of playing with people who don't bother to revive and you just fail the mission.

Wolf Akela said:
Is it just me or are mortars SUPER OVERPOWERED in Grand Bazaar? My last match there degenerated into a mortar/rocket spamfest, but mortars were worse.

Mortaring on Grand Bazaar is an excellent tactic for offense or defense(at least while playing rush)

Try to counter Mortar.

Most mortar teams like you say, sit in one spot and spam. This makes them very easy to counter mortar (and kill).

It appears that most players are unaware that the mortar can be picked up and moved. I only fire 2 mortar rounds from the same location and then move. Mortars are only effective with direct hits and splash damage is relatively small.

I find that most players are morons and ONLY attempt to go down the ONE narrow hallway to the second B mcom. This chews through respawns quickly. Rarely will you see a team attempt to go around to A first and get in behind the defenders, which is a better tactic.

EatChildren

Lanbeast said:
My brother went 1-6 last night on Rush - Tehran Highway, and was first on our team by about 800 points. He just did a lot of support stuff and was constantly arming MCOMs.

Being a team player, especially as engineer and medic focused assault, will net you crazy score and make you an extremely valuable member of your team. Teamwork people!

ii Stryker said:
Mortaring on Grand Bazaar is an excellent tactic for offense or defense(at least while playing rush)

Try to counter Mortar.

Most mortar teams like you say, sit in one spot and spam. This makes them very easy to counter mortar (and kill).

It appears that most players are unaware that the mortar can be picked up and moved. I only fire 2 mortar rounds from the same location and then move. Mortars are only effective with direct hits and splash damage is relatively small.

I find that most players are morons and ONLY attempt to go down the ONE narrow hallway to the second B mcom. This chews through respawns quickly. Rarely will you see a team attempt to go around to A first and get in behind the defenders, which is a better tactic.

Yeah, if someone is mortaring, it is inherently easy to counter mortar, because they'll always show up on the map.

Rahk

Just played a round using the MAV the whole time on Tehran Highway.

I found it surprisingly fun viewing the battlefield from above and spotting the whole enemy team. I was amused to find six, yes SIX, snipers prone at their base oblivious to anything. They were all lined up in a row along the edge of a platform. This was a 32 (possibly 40) player server. I guess it should be no surprise, however I thought there were less snipers these days due to the scope reflection. Perhaps I was wrong. I can imagine the MAV being great for following your squad and calling out enemy positions over voice comms. I shall try that next time with some friends.

I read somewhere here that you could kill people with the MAV, but didn't see any specifics so I decided to try it out. At first I tried dropping onto a prone sniper, but it seemed to do nothing so I just started harassing him by pushing him around on top of a roof. I presume he didn't know what the fuck was going on since he started moving around in circles. I think I eventually managed to push him off the roof, but it was only a short way down.

Then I moved onto the next target, a sniper prone beside a railing. I proceeded to charge at full speed towards his rear end. I presume I sandwiched him against the railing because he died instantly. I found it hilarious.

EatChildren said:
Being a team player, especially as engineer and medic focused assault, will net you crazy score and make you an extremely valuable member of your team. Teamwork people!

Spotting is much more crucial now too. Not only for ground forces but especially if you want your pilots to be more effective.

The first thing I do, if I'm not fortunate enough to pilot an aerial vehicle myself, is spot the enemy air vehicles for my own teams pilots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom