• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2D4

Banned
I finally got some practice time in a helicopter. Found a server on Caspian Border with only 10 people on it. It's amazing how much better you can be when you can fly for more than 5 second without getting shot down. -rolleyes- I think I 'm finally getting it down. Jets. Not so much.

CrankyJay

Banned
R2D4 said:
I finally got some practice time in a helicopter. Found a server on Caspian Border with only 10 people on it. It's amazing how much better you can be when you can fly for more than 5 second without getting shot down. -rolleyes- I think I 'm finally getting it down. Jets. Not so much.

Drop drop IR smoke until the eng fires the stinger. I see a lot of chopper pilots drop it when the lock hits before he re-acquires lock and fires.

The best combo though in a squad is to get 2 eng with stingers. Coordinate over voice chat helps immensely. I just hate it when people chopper whore and rack up 30/1 kd ratio so we make flying miserable for anyone who does that on our server.

GodofWine

F#A#Oo said:
PS3 is messed up...server browser says EU only has a 1 server...wtf

Yea, last night it told me there were about 400 total people playing in the USA...whatever this 'bug' is, its probably the root cause of the squad issue, no visible servers, no matchmaking. There must be another 100 servers available, but its only really showing the full ones.

Dice, ask the fella who worked on this for BFBC2 how he made it work...and ask him nicely to do it again.

And the 'you can't quit a game post round or pre round' probably makes less server space available, people cannot back out easily.

I wish DICE would just remove K/D display on the scoreboard if it's not a DM variant, and display only your own like TF2.

I always get in the top 5 and I have absolutely terrible K/D. I often end up with 0.1. I get a lot of points due to reviving, healing and capturing flags.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Spokker said:
Doesn't the game tell you if someone needs ammo? When I play assault it shows you who needs a revive. Of course, getting to them isn't always easy.

It needs to be better about it. It shows everyone who needs a revive or ammo, even if they are a mile away. I think a better way to do it would be range limited to prevent the screen from cluttering up.

And the need ammo icon is on the minimap I think and tiny next to the names/lifebars, not prominent like the revive icon.

CrankyJay

Banned
AndyD said:
It needs to be better about it. It shows everyone who needs a revive or ammo, even if they are a mile away. I think a better way to do it would be range limited to prevent the screen from cluttering up.

And the need ammo icon is on the minimap I think and tiny next to the names/lifebars, not prominent like the revive icon.

People who don't drop ammo or health are fucking useless trash. Why not help out your team and get points while doing it?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
CrankyJay said:
People who don't drop ammo or health are fucking useless trash. Why not help out your team and get points while doing it?

My kingdom for some ammo. I am a missile whore, so I run out of ammo extremely fast while taking down jets/choppers. It's IMPOSSIBLE to find additional ammo, so much so that I don't even try anymore. There's just no support guys around, I guess.

One guy did give me ammo yesterday, and I cried a little inside.

Spokker said:
The point is that fans knew what to expect.

My personal experience, though, has been great.

I abstained for now. Gonna build myself a new PC next year and I might just get it then when most of the really troublesome problems are more or less mended. With DICE you also know that the game will never run fully stable.

I just got to play the SP campaign at my friends house, but that's not for here.

I know I'll be joining the BF3 online next year during summer. I still feel sorry for everyone who expected DICE to finish the game before releasing it this time around.

CrankyJay

Banned
commish said:
My kingdom for some ammo. I am a missile whore, so I run out of ammo extremely fast while taking down jets/choppers. It's IMPOSSIBLE to find additional ammo, so much so that I don't even try anymore. There's just no support guys around, I guess.

Not sure why anyone would pass up on free points like that.

ElyrionX

After caving and finally lowering my mouse sensitivity, I'm having a far better time with the SV98. It's just so satisfying to use. Going for headshots is not easy and most games I'm only getting 4 to 6 kills. But my KD is usually even or just slightly positive or negative. I'm getting better with it and there was once on Firestorm, I landed a headshot on some guy way across the other side of the map after accounting for bullet drop. That was a "hell yeah" moment right there.

Also, I find that learning when to use the SV98 and when to use the pistol helps my survivability a lot. The M1911 is awesome and there were a few times I've outgunned engineers and their goddamn rifles with it. Feels good man.

Overall, recon is still a shit class that really needs a buff or two but I'm beginning to feel the satisfaction from learning it. If they would just give recons the ability to score 10 or 20 points by the mere act of spotting an enemy, that would help a lot. I mean, it is RECONNAISSANCE after all. I also think if they got something slightly more offensive like the C4, it would also increase the overall usefulness of the class.

derFeef

commish said:

I throw out ammo all the time, but those bastards with ammo-need icons on top of their head just run away from it!

jorma

is now taking requests
AndyD said:

Yeah. Everyone always needs ammo. I'm not running around like a chicken serving ammo to people. I drop the ammoboxes everywhere i go though, but you are gonna have to chase me down and press select to inform me that you want ammo.

edit: also what derfeef said.

ii Stryker said:
To me, playing on 360, this has been their best BF launch yet.

When the servers have gone down they've usually had them back up in about 30 minutes. I will occasionally get some intermittent rubberbanding. But its not so bad as to make the game unplayable. It only appears to happen on certain maps though. Tehran Highway mainly, which is odd.

I've heard lots of horror regarding the servers stability on 360 but I've never encountered any problem joining a game. The only issues I've had has been the following :

-Game freezing during multiplayer (happened 2 times)
-No respawn after the timer : When I die, sometimes, after the countdown to respawn, it will stuck at limbo menu. Pressing A to deploy won't do anything at all and I am forced to quit. This happened like 3 or 4 times so far. All of this in 6-7 hours of playtime.

Overall, those are not affecting my experience a lot. the respawn bug is kind of frustrating, but it didn't happen often and it will most likely be fixed pretty quickly. If not, then it might turns into a real problem.

commish

ElyrionX said:
After caving and finally lowering my mouse sensitivity, I'm having a far better time with the SV98. It's just so satisfying to use. Going for headshots is not easy and most games I'm only getting 4 to 6 kills. But my KD is usually even or just slightly positive or negative. I'm getting better with it and there was once on Firestorm, I landed a headshot on some guy way across the other side of the map after accounting for bullet drop. That was a "hell yeah" moment right there.

Also, I find that learning when to use the SV98 and when to use the pistol helps my survivability a lot. The M1911 is awesome and there were a few times I've outgunned engineers and their goddamn rifles with it. Feels good man.

Overall, recon is still a shit class that really needs a buff or two but I'm beginning to feel the satisfaction from learning it. If they would just give recons the ability to score 10 or 20 points by the mere act of spotting an enemy, that would help a lot. I mean, it is RECONNAISSANCE after all. I also think if they got something slightly more offensive like the C4, it would also increase the overall usefulness of the class.

As long as people hang back and snipe instead of actually getting objectives, the class's usefulness will be limited regardless of what tools Dice gives it. :\

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
jorma said:
Yeah. Everyone always needs ammo. I'm not running around like a chicken serving ammo to people. I drop the ammoboxes everywhere i go though, but you are gonna have to chase me down and press select to inform me that you want ammo.

edit: also what derfeef said.
Lol I keep dropping ammo for engineers and they never see it and run away! They must scoped looking for tanks or jets. On bazaar it's pretty easy cause every one is always holed up in the early. Btw that map feels like black hawk down fukkkkk

cametall said:
Is Quick Match still borked? It wasn't working properly on Saturday or Sunday.

The server I played on last night was pretty laggy too.

And squads and mics are still messed up...

... I'm becoming sad.

The bugged up Quick Match is even getting adressed in the game itself and you are told to use the Browers menu...

CrankyJay

Banned
commish said:
As long as people hang back and snipe instead of actually getting objectives, the class's usefulness will be limited regardless of what tools Dice gives it. :\

As a sniper I like to position myself far back enough to get a look at the mcom to cover it but still be helpful.

Wthermans

Banned
I usually play with the same 15-20 people pretty much nightly. We'll normally split teams though. Still leaves 2-3 squads of a usual mix of air team/ground team. We're all on Mumble too so teamwork is rarely an issue for me. :p

commish

CrankyJay said:
As a sniper I like to position myself far back enough to get a look at the mcom to cover it but still be helpful.

My only experience with Rush was in BC2, and my entire team was a bunch of snipers. And nothing else. Every match. :p I gave up that game after a week.

ElyrionX

commish said:

I try to make myself useful by going for objectives as well but most times it's suicide going for hot objectives alone so I usually wait till I see backup. Other times, I just take an offbeat path and circle around the enemy to take the unguarded objectives from behind.

Unfortunately, it does appear that most recons are content to camp on roofs and not contribute to the team. Ironically, I find that camping on roofs and proning on hills is extremely predictable and results in myself taking an inordinate amount of fire and does no favours for my KD ratio. When I'm constantly on the move, attacking and defending objectives and finding different spots on the ground to snipe, that's when my kills start flowing in.

ElyrionX said:
Wait....what?

What the fuck? Why is the recon class so fucking gimped in this game?

I don't have any problem with parachuting in. I like it--it's a good way to balance an insta-spawn.

Menelaus said:
I would dare say that this is the best launch since BF2. The servers have been remarkably stable and there are no huge gamebreakers right now.

Same.

The Recon definitely needs something, i played exclusively as Recon on BC2 and it was great, provided that you had good reflex and aim you were pretty much ready for every situation.

Im trying so hard to stick to recon in BF3 but im about to give up, between the scope flare, weak handgun, no options to destroy tanks (why take away C4?) and the shitty ridiculously flaky implementation of the T-UGS and Spawn beacon (cant put it down in 95% of terrain without wasting a lot of time trying and trying). Worst class in the game right now :(.

Dont get me started on the SOFLAM :(, by the time you get the missiles down the target has moved and i cant find ANYONE with a mortar that wants to work with me on bringing down Air targets, and if they do, the reward is worthless. :(

zephervack said:
Dont get me started on the SOFLAM :(, by the time you get the missiles down the target has moved and i cant find ANYONE with a mortar that wants to work with me on bringing down Air targets, and if they do, the reward is worthless. :(

Yeah, I feel like the SOFLAM is useless. Either they need to increase the altitude that the Javelin missile reaches (to decrease the number of times it hits terrain) or increase it's travel speed. I have not gonna one hit off of a SOFLAM-lock with the Javelin (which I use on every vehicle-heavy map). Which is a shame, because it looks so cool.

Finally got my MVP achievement. Playing medic on Conquest Metro. I must have brought 30 people back from the dead it seemed like at point B. Oh, and my K/D ratio was 7/12. I love how that doesn't matter in this game.

Shadybiz

CrankyJay said:

I spam ammo and health like it's going out of style. My Support class does really well for points, because I'll get points for giving ammo, and for C4'ing every enemy tank I see. As Assault, I try to revive when I can. I'll usually get shot in the process, but hey, it's 100 points, and the other guy might live through it.

zlatko

Banned
P90 is a beast. Hipfire is so accurate, 2038402398 bullets, and you can still hit people from afar with it. I rock a holographic, supressor, and laser with it and just destroy.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Recon kit is pretty terrible, not sure why they took away C4 and even Claymores from it.

I often find myself scoring really high on my teams and sometimes at the top and it's not because of kills, but I make tons of points off of objective caps and doing my roles (healing, reviving, giving ammo, etc)

belvedere

Junior Butler
zlatko said:
P90 is a beast. Hipfire is so accurate, 2038402398 bullets, and you can still hit people from afar with it. I rock a holographic, supressor, and laser with it and just destroy.

May have to give it a whirl then. I figured it would have been nerfed to death from the get go.

Anyone use the G3A3? It seemed awesome in co-op but I'd like to know if it's worth all that co-op time required to unlock it.

Soma

F#A#Oo said:
Is it just me or is the M416 really terrible...?
Its my most used rifle at the moment but I did have some problems with it at long range even with burst fire. I think the AEK is much better though.

Recon is a pretty terrible kit (especially with the spotting bonus being so low), but I almost always start the round as a Recon.

It's just far too valuable to be able to lay down a mobile spawn point and a motion sensor, and then switch to a class better suited to the map. Having a devoted Recon (see: sniper) in my squad is usually nothing sort of frustrating when it comes to spawning back in or hoping for some sort of team work (again, outside of spotting but that doesn't afford enough points, IMHO).

Dipswitch said:
Anyone know what the equivalent is on XBox 360? Sorry, should have mentioned that!

The A button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom