• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysgen

mbmonk said:
Yea. I think it is legit: http://www.destructoid.com/ea-s-origin-may-be-glorified-spyware-causes-mass-upset-209745.phtml

Supposedly the EULA on the PC version has caused an uproar awhile ago. I guess it's just been accepted by people at this point. It's seems weird.

I was all about the PC version, but I am contemplating the PS3 version or skipping it completely, if this is true.

Tracking what programs I install and uninstall? Really? This is getting insane. I could just be way late to the party though.

Thought there would be a bigger blow back from this but perhaps not because the thread is also for consoles.

Lanbeast

ii Stryker said:
Spotting is much more crucial now too. Not only for ground forces but especially if you want your pilots to be more effective.

The first thing I do, if I'm not fortunate enough to pilot an aerial vehicle myself, is spot the enemy air vehicles for my own teams pilots.

It's incredible to me just how few people take advantage of spotting. I sort of agree with some of the issues surrounding mortars being too powerful, but almost every time I try using it the only kills I get are from my friend spotting guys for me. No one else does it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
zephervack said:
What kind of machine do you have?

Fraps and the ingame FPS counter say that i have between 90fps to 70fps but something just feels off, it just doesnt feel completely smooth and the changes in fps are pretty distracting, i am considering doing the 30fps trick you have there, any more info on how its done?
i7-930 + 5870 + 8gb ram

If I disable v-sync I see framerates much higher than 60, but I can't deal with tearing.

I noticed that, even at 60 fps, there was often the feeling that things were a bit "off". It was not the buttery smooth 60 I'm used to despite FRAPS reporting otherwise.

Spokker

Sysgen said:
Thought there would be a bigger blow back from this but perhaps not because the thread is also for consoles.
If people don't care after reading about the program scanning that guy's tax return directory, then they won't ever care. I certainly do not.

cametall

KingOfKong said:
I hope they increase spotting bonus because as of now not many people spot.

I think that's more of a case of "head-icus up ass-icus" than lack of points awarded.

Sometimes the console player base (PS3 in my case) lack the intelligence to attack objectives, heal, give ammo, etc. They want the kills.

I ran out of ammo last night, ran to a support class nearby and acted like a lunatic to get his attention to drop ammo. After dropping a bunch of medkits, firing my pistol into his face, and knifing him numerous times he got the idea of what I wanted.

Then I got sniped in the face while waiting for my ammo to refill...

Spokker

Doesn't the game tell you if someone needs ammo? When I play assault it shows you who needs a revive. Of course, getting to them isn't always easy.

CozMick said:
Medics are a great way to level up in Conquest, just sit back behind a squad, watch them die, revive, repeat, easily a few thousand xp in one game without a single kill :)

Many thanks. I went into this game expecting to push non stop. Maybe I should stay back and heal/revive just like I once did in RTCW.

If you want to level up fast then just play Metro Conquest and go Medic and heal/revive, can make 5k a round easily.

noted ;)

Though it depends on the map, mode and player count, remember that Battlefield 3 is not Call of Duty, so there's less emphasis on kill kill kill to be a valuable member of your team. By reviving, sharing ammo and medkits, laying down suppressing fire, spotting, transporting, and being around to help capture points, you can be one of the highest scoring players on your team with very few kills. Hell you can have the most deaths and least kills of your entire team and still make the top of the scoreboard if you play your cards right.

I'm not a COD player. I'm more of a RTCW/UT/BF 1942 player. Last time I've dedicated my time to an online FPS was while I played RTCW and BF1942 Wake Island demo. Though I understand what you are saying. I keep rushing the objectives like I did in RTCW. Maybe I should do what I was also doing back then and revive/heal people like others have suggested.

Lanbeast said:
It's incredible to me just how few people take advantage of spotting. I sort of agree with some of the issues surrounding mortars being too powerful, but almost every time I try using it the only kills I get are from my friend spotting guys for me. No one else does it.

DICE really has balanced the MP very well for teamwork. If you're fortunate enough to get on a team that understands this and everyone is spotting, its quite magical.

TekDragon

Banned
CrankyJay said:
Erm, I've been one hit by a tank in a jeep. Maybe it depends where you hit it.

Correct.

I will say, though, that 9/10 times I get hit by a tank it's a disable. Still enough for my jeep to limp up to the tank and blow my 6 C4 packages.

Spokker

I just don't understand how one person determines that 63 other people are not spotting. If you never see a Dorito on your map or HUD, then yeah, you can figure out that nobody is spotting. But if you only see it sparsely, how do you know they don't intend to spot?

Also, some servers may disable 3D spotting. Could this be what's driving these complaints?

Souljiro

ii Stryker said:
Mortaring on Grand Bazaar is an excellent tactic for offense or defense(at least while playing rush)

Try to counter Mortar.

Most mortar teams like you say, sit in one spot and spam. This makes them very easy to counter mortar (and kill).

It appears that most players are unaware that the mortar can be picked up and moved. I only fire 2 mortar rounds from the same location and then move. Mortars are only effective with direct hits and splash damage is relatively small.

I find that most players are morons and ONLY attempt to go down the ONE narrow hallway to the second B mcom. This chews through respawns quickly. Rarely will you see a team attempt to go around to A first and get in behind the defenders, which is a better tactic.

Counter mortar is fun because like you said most people spam and stay in the same area. I just get into a different angle sit up my mortar and watch the kill pop up. People don't seems to let their team know when they need to counter mortar.

Lanbeast

ii Stryker said:
DICE really has balanced the MP very well for teamwork. If you're fortunate enough to get on a team that understands this and everyone is spotting, its quite magical.

Absolutely. I know there is a lot of hate for Metro, but one of my favorite moments so far has been laying down suppressing fire as an attacker in the second area, as my squad-mates move up and flank. I'm lucky enough to have 2-3 friends to constantly squad up with because it makes the game 10x more enjoyable when there's teamwork involved.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
MMaRsu said:
Wow reading on all these issues here, im glad I didnt buy it at launch..

I'm knocking on wood, but I haven't had any problems with the game so far (PC here). The only issue I've had were with the GAF server disconnecting.

MMaRsu said:

I can only speak for PC, but anyone saying the MP is unplayable is greatly exaggerating. MP is unrefined but spectacular, ATM. There is plenty to complain about, but nothing game breaking: no big bugs, no glitches, no exploits, no weapon that beats all the others (yet). There are some shitty maps in certain modes and some baffling omissions/decisions for the UI and general design, but the game is absolutely playable and enjoyable.

ElyrionX

I'm getting a strange bug where my spawn beacon causes whoever spawns at that location to parachute in. Hilarious for the first or second time but absolutely annoying after that. And it wasn't map-specific. It first started at Kharg and again at the next map, Canals.

RealMeat

Banned
dark10x said:
i7-930 + 5870 + 8gb ram

If I disable v-sync I see framerates much higher than 60, but I can't deal with tearing.

I noticed that, even at 60 fps, there was often the feeling that things were a bit "off". It was not the buttery smooth 60 I'm used to despite FRAPS reporting otherwise.
Maybe try disabling v-sync in game and forcing triple buffering with d3doverider? I also have a 5870 and this seems to work well.

commish

Anton Sugar said:
I can only speak for PC, but anyone saying the MP is unplayable is greatly exaggerating. MP is unrefined but spectacular, ATM. There is plenty to complain about, but nothing game breaking: no big bugs, no glitches, no exploits, no weapon that beats all the others (yet). There are some shitty maps in certain modes and some baffling omissions/decisions for the UI and general design, but the game is absolutely playable and enjoyable.

God, the UI, don't get me started. Baffling is an understatement.

ElyrionX said:
I'm getting a strange bug where my spawn beacon causes whoever spawns at that location to parachute in. Hilarious for the first or second time but absolutely annoying after that. And it wasn't map-specific. It first started at Kharg and again at the next map, Canals.

That's not a bug. If it's placed outdoors, you parachute in.

jorma

is now taking requests
Souljiro said:
Counter mortar is fun because like you said most people spam and stay in the same area. I just get into a different angle sit up my mortar and watch the kill pop up. People don't seems to let their team know when they need to counter mortar.

I find that it's worth it to stay in one spot because most of the time there will be no counter mortar. I always mortar on operation metro and grand bazaar and only rarely will anyone mortar me back. I guess that will change as people level up.

so i go crazy until someone kills me, and then we play mortar wars. Fun stuff! But moving around does not really help, because if someone wants to get to my mortar they will, regardless of where i stand. And most of the time i can go for mutually assured destruction since i will see his mortar just as he sees me, and i will have a few seconds to react.

It's not THAT easy to get the kills though. I did however get three gaffers with two straight shells the other day when i joined their game and ended up on opposite sides. Crazy fun!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Not feeling the A-91. Compared to the SCAR-H, it feels a bit lighter and not nearly as powerful. I seem to kill enemies much quicker with the SCAR-H. Just wish the magazine was larger. :p

mxgt

Banned
papersleeves said:
Geez I am so.fucking.bad at this game. My K/D ratio and terrible (like .6 or something) and I lose matches way more than I win them. I am only level 5 and it seems to take forever to level up because I barely do any point after each match.

It feels like I have to stuck to either sniper or vehicules in order to stay alive a bit longer than I am used to.

Fuck me...

Don't worry about your K/D, this isn't a COD game.

Capping points, supporting team mates and disabling vehicles is more important and gets you more points.

commish

mxgt said:

Capping points, supporting team mates and disabling vehicles is more important and gets you more points.

Yeah, this is the true, though COD was really the first game in which I totally STOPPED caring about my K/D (gotta defuse the HQ bomb!). In BF3, I'll often go something like 4-7 and still finish in the top 5 in total points.

derFeef

mxgt said:

I think the problem he has (and myself to some degree) is people talking about awesome KD ratios and posting shots of scoreboards where the top 3 guys always have a 2.0 KD ratio. I wish DICE would have gotten rid of it.

cametall

BadTaste105 said:
I know right, me and my three friends are getting horrendous lag and we disconnect during a match, so pathetic.

Is Quick Match still borked? It wasn't working properly on Saturday or Sunday.

The server I played on last night was pretty laggy too.

And squads and mics are still messed up...

... I'm becoming sad.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
derFeef said:
I think the problem he has (and myself to some degree) is people talking about awesome KD ratios and posting shots of scoreboards where the top 3 guys always have a 2.0 KD ratio. I wish DICE would have gotten rid of it.
I'm almost always in the top 4 and I rarely even go 1/1.I think I'm at .85 or something overall. If you play focusing on teamwork and objectives you can pretty much always top the scoreboard and still have fun without being a killing machine.

MMaRsu said:

To me, playing on 360, this has been their best BF launch yet.

When the servers have gone down they've usually had them back up in about 30 minutes. I will occasionally get some intermittent rubberbanding. But its not so bad as to make the game unplayable. It only appears to happen on certain maps though. Tehran Highway mainly, which is odd.

mxgt

Banned
derFeef said:

Indeed. It's fine in TDM but in Rush and Conquest they should put different stats on the scoreboard like points captured/defended etc.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ii Stryker said:
To me, playing on 360, this has been their best BF launch yet.

When the servers have gone down they've usually had them back up in about 30 minutes. I will occasionally get some intermittent rubberbanding. But its not so bad as to make the game unplayable. It only appears to happen on certain maps though. Tehran Highway mainly, which is odd.
Yeah, I agree. It's been pretty damn great on PS3, aside from the VOIP and Tehran Highway lag issues. Other than that it's smooth and pretty balanced.

Menelaus

Banned
I would dare say that this is the best launch since BF2. The servers have been remarkably stable and there are no huge gamebreakers right now.

scogoth

Anton Sugar said:
lol.gif

Seriously?
Yep. There were some other dice employees that were level 40+ O_O

hackers.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ElyrionX said:
Wait....what?

What the fuck? Why is the recon class so fucking gimped in this game?
Because they were great in the beta with their starting weapons and anytime a weapon appears to be effective, Dice nerfs the shit out of it. See: UMP.

derFeef

Stallion Free said:
Because they were great in the beta with their starting weapons and anytime a weapon appears to be effective, Dice nerfs the shit out of it. See: UMP.
Did they ever nerf the M60 in BC2? I can't remember ;)

BadTaste105 said:
I know right, me and my three friends are getting horrendous lag and we disconnect during a match, so pathetic.

Yeah, just got disconnected from two games in a row pretty soon after the match started... just fucking great. Can't be arsed to try again until later this evening when things hopefully work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom