• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stStrike

Banned
vidal said:
I like how chopper combat has basically devolved into "I'M GONNA LOCK ONTO YOU.", "YEAH, WELL I'M GONNA LOCK ONTO YOU.", "FLARESSSSSSSS.", "I GOT FLARESSSSS TOO BITCH."

Every time it's that same stupid duel. Especially on Operation Firestorm because there's no cover at all for choppers. Even if I want to just focus on ground targets, the other chopper wants to start some shit. Completely not fun.

Welcome to jet combat, as well. It's like everyone just unlocked heat seekers and now they can't do anything but lock on. OH MAN, I TOTALLY GOT HIM - DAMN, HE USED FLARES FOR THE 40TH TIME. I'LL GET HIM NEXT TIME!

1stStrike said:
Welcome to jet combat, as well. It's like everyone just unlocked heat seekers and now they can't do anything but lock on. OH MAN, I TOTALLY GOT HIM - DAMN, HE USED FLARES FOR THE 40TH TIME. I'LL GET HIM NEXT TIME!
That's why you have to get good with the machine gun;). Even then though the planes respawn faster than you can blink.

Once you unlock the rocket pod you really shouldn't look back. The MG and the RP make for a 1-2 combo that few can withstand, if you manage to hit with both of them. Nothing like balling over a low-flying helicopter with the MG and watching it pancake into the ground. sogood.

mcrae

if you get a good pilot and a halfway decent gunner the attack chopper can be devastating. spam q while looking all over the map as the gunner, and you can get a bunch of player kills with the explosive rounds. spam it at vehicles and it makes it easier for the pilot to notice them, and if he does one rocket strafing run while you shoot, and you both have a halfway decent hit rate, 1 run and the vehicle goes kaboom.

i reaaaally need to make some online friends to play with, lol

The server lag and rubberbanding are getting worse for me on 360.

I picked up the game at launch and its played pretty well up until this evening.

This is the worst its been. It feels like Bad Company 2 was at launch, which is to say its more or less unplayable. :/

1stStrike

Banned
littleworm said:
That's why you have to get good with the machine gun;). Even then though the planes respawn faster than you can blink.

I just avoid jet combat. I have no problems killing other jets, it's just the fact that they do respawn so quickly, as well as the fact that everyone wants to waste time dog fighting that it just becomes less and less fun.

Jets = irrelevant as they are right now. You don't have a chance to do anything to help the ground forces out, so in the end you're just stuck not helping at all since there's constantly some douche trying to fire zee missiles at you.

So how do I customize my soldier for both teams? The my soldier section is just my us guy. I unlocked some stuff for my AK but can't attatch it.

mcrae

1stStrike said:
I just avoid jet combat. I have no problems killing other jets, it's just the fact that they do respawn so quickly, as well as the fact that everyone wants to waste time dog fighting that it just becomes less and less fun.

Jets = irrelevant as they are right now. You don't have a chance to do anything to help the ground forces out, so in the end you're just stuck not helping at all since there's constantly some douche trying to fire zee missiles at you.

your perspective is so ..odd. you think jets should ignore each other and only attack ground targets? lots of people enjoy playing with the jets

1stStrike

Banned
mcrae said:
your perspective is so ..odd. you think jets should ignore each other and only attack ground targets? lots of people enjoy playing with the jets

I think the jet respawn time should be drastically higher so that when you die you don't get to hop back into a jet 2 seconds later. I'm fine with jet combat, but it's pointless when I shoot someone down - and then 30 seconds later they're back and annoying the shit out of me again. If I shoot you down, you should be out of the game for at least 3 or 4 minutes before another jet spawns.

Now, onto tanks.

PC-GAF, I just unlocked guided shell for tanks. Who wants to coop with me (including mumble) somewhere so I can give it a whirl with someone that doesn't suck?

Cudder

I just played Squad Deathmatch the whole night because my friends are either not online or are playing co op together. Shit is so fun, I love the Grand Bazaar map. The sound effects alone make that map one of my favourites.

Tonight was much better than before. The medic rez/heal spam on allies and flag capture turned out to be very effective in CQ. Lots of warm and sweet xp. Hell, I even managed to get positive K/D multiple times.

It's amazing how fun this game can be when you don't die in less than 30 seconds after each spawn.

mcrae

1stStrike said:
PC-GAF, I just unlocked guided shell for tanks. Who wants to coop with me (including mumble) somewhere so I can give it a whirl with someone that doesn't suck?

what situations are the guided shell useful in anyways? you get someone else to lock on a target then you just let it fly, or something? what do they use to lock on for you?

i have them unlocked but the lock-on distance is so short that i'd rather just use the main gun shells which are faster

1stStrike

Banned
mcrae said:
what situations are the guided shell useful in anyways? you get someone else to lock on a target then you just let it fly, or something? what do they use to lock on for you?

i have them unlocked but the lock-on distance is so short that i'd rather just use the main gun shells which are faster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfvpuEKcOac&feature=related

Behold. Shooting down jets and helicopters with a tank.

I need someone that can laser shit :x

P.S. You can laser ground targets as well, so it significantly extends the range... that's why two people are required for the ownage to be dished out.

Zeppelin

mcrae said:

Yeah, I haven't found the guided shell that useful either. Just got the thermal optics myself it's pretty sweet but I think I'll stick to my previous setup.

Played some support on the GAF server just now since I've pretty much maxed out engineer unlock wise. Felt odd at first not to have my trusty RPG at hand but that machine gun rips through bodies like a knife through butter!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
1stStrike said:
Heatseekers are annoying, but the people that can use the jet's cannons scare me to death. One second you're flying and the next you're a fireball.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm really wishing I didn't buy this game, I really don't like it. Fuck, FPS's should be 60fps full stop. This game sucks on consoles.

IMACOMPUTA

Sucks that I've strickly been using the Scar. Guess i'll start working on the UMP since they're going to give it more power.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The gun descriptions really give no indication of what makes one better than the other, unless I'm missing something?

Raide

SpeedingUptoStop said:
The gun descriptions really give no indication of what makes one better than the other, unless I'm missing something?

Like most shooters for me, its simple...

Shoot stuff and see!

Especially for BF games, I tend to try everything until I find one or two weapons that work for me.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
SpeedingUptoStop said:

I don't think you are. Someone really needs to come up with a weapon stats spreadsheet, stat!

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I wish we could veto maps on the gaf server...damavand peak and seine crossing are as bad as metro

1stStrike

Banned
Fuck, nobody is using the SOFLAM D:

I could destroy all of the air and ground vehicles on the map if I had someone playing with me that had that unlocked =\

Zeppelin said:
Yeah, I haven't found the guided shell that useful either. Just got the thermal optics myself it's pretty sweet but I think I'll stick to my previous setup.

Played some support on the GAF server just now since I've pretty much maxed out engineer unlock wise. Felt odd at first not to have my trusty RPG at hand but that machine gun rips through bodies like a knife through butter!

A friend and I started Kharge Island with guided rockets on an M1 and a recon with the SOFLAM. It was glorious. The sky was a target rich environment, the ground was like a moving targets range, and the tank has unlimited rockets.

Later on it was difficult to get a set up that was as efficient, but it is still a solid squad tactic if the ground guys can still punish with the missing MBT.

1stStrike

Banned
SirButterstick said:
You know, I'd love to do some SOFLAM'ing. I was setting up targets for Penny the other day, and having a blast doing it.

What's your nick in battlelog? I'll add you and we can go do some coop rapeage on operation firestorm or something.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Raide said:
Like most shooters for me, its simple...

Shoot stuff and see!

Especially for BF games, I tend to try everything until I find one or two weapons that work for me.
True true, I've been doing that. I just find it weird is all. Not even the slightest description almost makes it feel like they're trying to say there is no difference.

Spl1nter

Dizzy-4U said:
Thanks. I though I tried that one but some menu showed up. I'll try again.

Holding Q brings up the commo rose. All you have to do is press Q to spot. There is a cool down on repeated spotting.

Makoto

Wasn't there talk of squad leaders being able to call in artillery strikes? Or have an assortment of exclusive abilities?

Because I'm playing Seine Crossing with 7 people on mortars and I don't think this game needs more explosions.

mcrae

Spl1nter said:
Holding Q brings up the commo rose. All you have to do is press Q to spot. There is a cool down on repeated spotting.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

i can spam q till i spot someone though, right? i just cant spot many people in a small amount of time?

1stStrike

Banned
Okay, so finally found someone with SOFLAM and... yeah. It fucking rocks. I was on the other side of a hill, while a tank was hiding behind a wall. I locked on and my shell flew over the hill and hit them on the other side of the wall, gaining me a kill.

I also fucked up other tanks from a distance while they were trying to align their aim and hit a moving target - I was driving around fully locked on and firing away with no need to worry about aiming.

Also, shot down a helicopter...

So yeah. SOFLAM ftw. It's a complete tide turner with the right team.

1stStrike said:
Okay, so finally found someone with SOFLAM and... yeah. It fucking rocks. I was on the other side of a hill, while a tank was hiding behind a wall. I locked on and my shell flew over the hill and hit them on the other side of the wall, gaining me a kill.

I also fucked up other tanks from a distance while they were trying to align their aim and hit a moving target - I was driving around fully locked on and firing away with no need to worry about aiming.

I still don't know how the fuck SOFLAM works. I picked up an enemy's kit, played around with SOFLAM. I was... lost.

Zeppelin

1stStrike said:

Sounds cool. I'll have to try the guided shell out again and hope that someone is running around with the SOFLAM. :)

W1SSY

I just got done playing for about an hour or two and it seems like most of the opposing jets were just crashing into our helicopters. I finally unlocked flares which makes flying so much safer and then quickly got the missiles but didn't get a chance to use them.

EekTheKat

Best part of the game may be playing as a Russian medic, there's a hilarious stream of obscenities that seems to fire off everytime I revive someone :

Squad member gets shot, run up to him to revive him

"TAKE THIS MOTHER FUCKER!"

and voila! teammate revives. It's as if I can revive people by the power of swearing really loudly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom