• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Izayoi said:
My FAVORITE PART about the flashlight is that it blinds thermal vision too.

How the fuck does that work?

What seriously.....it blinds thermal optics as well?

Wait wait, why is anyone trying to blind a tank/IPV?

cdyhybrid

Rocket pods seem kinda weak =\ Couldn't disable a tank with all 14 rockets without adding some cannon fire at the end. Better than just the cannon though, if I line it up well I actually have a chance to at least disable it.

GenericUser

betty swollocks said:
How do you put the PS3 in 576? On HDMI I have 480 then 720.

Don't know, i just choose the lowest possible resolution. If it doesn't show up in the selection menu, the res is probably not supported on your setup. But I am not an expert!

zlatko

Banned
Black_Stride said:

It works against the Thermal sight scope. IRNV or whatever. That way if there's a sniper using it, odds are he won't be getting a hold of you anytime soon since you are just a dark splotch on his screen without the body signature.

KAOz

Short bus special
Been doing alot of Supportclass now.

I hate the other people. If I run up to you, and give you ammo while yelling "HAVE SOME AMMO, YOU'RE LOW ON IT!", don't fucking run away. Twat. Happens all the fucking time. Thing is, if you do it more than twice, I won't give you any ammo when you request it. Instead, I will probably C4 your ass.

Goddamnit.

Massa

Outtrigger888 said:
Why does this game look so much worse than bad company 2 (360 version) I installed the hd texture pack but it looks really bad.

Because the engine was made for high end PC's.

Orgun

Black_Stride said:

It blocks the scopes too? Sorry teammates but i'm rolling with my torch constantly on now, IRNV scope pisses me off....because I don't have one :)

Rainy Dog

pappakenoo said:
Not like half your team, that IS half your team. 32p servers on PC feels soo barren, can't even imagine how 24p on consoles must feel. Sad that console players don't get to experience Battlefield on a 50p or 64p server, it's a completely different game.

On the other hand, playing on consoles and I can't fathom how some of these maps could be enjoyable with nearly 3 times as many players.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
zlatko said:
It works against the Thermal sight scope. IRNV or whatever. That way if there's a sniper using it, odds are he won't be getting a hold of you anytime soon since you are just a dark splotch on his screen without the body signature.

The IRNV...is not the same as the Thermal Optics.

He said that the flashlight blinded Thermal Vision the upgrade you get for your tanks....im not doubting (although not fully convinced) shining a torch directly at a Thermal Sensor would cause some sort of distortion.....im more curious why someone would try blinding the Tanks?

If I see someones torch blinding my tank in Thermal Optics mode, i just shoot my main cannon in that general direction, press 2 and keep plowing the HMG while the main cannon reloads....the fact that their torch is blinding me, means they arent using an SMAW/RPG so really they are just asking to die in the most elaborate way they know how.

zlatko

Banned
Black_Stride said:

He said that the flashlight blinded Thermal Vision the upgrade you get for your tanks....im not doubting (although not fully convinced) shining a torch directly at a Thermal Sensor would cause some sort of distortion.....im more curious why someone would try blinding the Tanks?

If I see someones torch blinding my tank in Thermal Optics mode, i just shoot my main cannon in that general direction, press 2 and keep plowing the HMG while the main cannon reloads....the fact that their torch is blinding me, means they arent using an SMAW/RPG so really they are just asking to die in the most elaborate way they know how.

Oh wow yeah. That's fucked up. xD

red731

betty swollocks said:
How do you put the PS3 in 576? On HDMI I have 480 then 720.

(eu)PAL and (us)NTSC
576i and 480i

very simply put

Also, anyone for teaming up for some rush, squad, conquest games this afternoon?
I will be home at 1600 central euro time.
PSN ID on profile or list.

GenericUser

Foliorum Viridum said:
.. Yeah, TDM really highlights that the gunplay in this game isn't top tier.

Back to CQ!

I found TDM suprisingly fun to be honest. The reduced spawn times and the more packed action did it for me. I'll still stick with CQ for the most time, but some TDM rounds once in a while don't hurt.

sponk said:
I found TDM suprisingly fun to be honest. The reduced spawn times and the more packed action did it for me. I'll still stick with CQ for the most time, but some TDM rounds once in a while don't hurt.
It wasn't bad, but it's no CoD, so eh.

CQ is where the game shines. No reason to play anything else in my eyes.

Izayoi

Banned
Black_Stride said:

Yeah, only happens when they're really close, but it's still kind of silly.

Not a matter of whether they live or not, just a matter of a weird oversight by DICE.

Foliorum Viridum said:
It wasn't bad, but it's no CoD, so eh.

CQ is where the game shines. No reason to play anything else in my eyes.
Conquest (and, surprisingly, Rush) are tons of fun.

I played one, maybe two matches of the other game types to get the ribbons and never want to touch that shit ever again.

Izayoi said:
Conquest (and, surprisingly, Rush) are tons of fun.

I played one, maybe two matches of the other game types to get the ribbons and never want to touch that shit ever again.
Rush is made or broken depending on your team. It's weird like that.

F#A#Oo

Banned
MW3 has 16 maps that will ship...that's some shameful shit that DICE give 9 with 4 more are to be released later as DLC...

I bet DICE also held back on the 2nd DLC after B2K...just so they could cash in abit more later...

I think the issue was they needed to design the maps for CQ and Rush. Probably took up time that shoulda been spent on just making more maps.

16 is a great number.

Striek

Foliorum Viridum said:
I think the issue was they needed to design the maps for CQ and Rush. Probably took up time that shoulda been spent on just making more maps.
Theres no way they spent more than 5 minutes balancing some of the maps for both modes. Rush is horribly imbalanced on a couple maps and Conquest simply retarded on others.

def sim

I wish they only balanced maps for conquest and kept rush a BC game mode. As it is, some game type and map combos feel awkward.

Striek said:
Theres no way they spent more than 5 minutes balancing some of the maps for both modes. Rush is horribly imbalanced on a couple maps and Conquest simply retarded on others.
Haha, that would seemingly be the case, I agree.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:

16 is a great number.

Naa...anyone can see that very little thought went into balancing...

The placement of flags and mcom are all central in the maps...with no use of edges and borders...their practically waste land and turn into areas where camping recon gravitate to...to get their montage distance shots.

Some maps could do with 5-6 flags for example yet we see 4...

KAOz

Short bus special
Ice Raven said:
is there a server for just jets to unlock awards?
im really getting tired of getting locked on a second after i take off.

Don't think so.

But you know what you can do. Enter an empty-ish server. Become Squad leader. Set out Attack/Defend points, fly around and loop and shit, and watch you get points towards the jet as your squad works below.

That's what I did to unlock the IR Flares. From there, it was much easier.

rance said:
I wish they only balanced maps for conquest and kept rush a BC game mode. As it is, some game type and map combos feel awkward.
Removing game modes is not the answer to this problem. There is no reason why a map can't be fine tuned for more than one game type, and rush is the only mode I play in BF3 so I would be incredibly disappointed if it wasn't in the game.

Facism

was in a game with a player called toprocatalyst who went 89 - 9. Watched him get shot 100s of time and take a rocket to the face and not die. His team still lost, though, so well done mate. He pretty much unlocked everything for the IAR in the last hour.

I'm just about done trying to convince myself this is a good game.

Most of the content isn't worth anyone's time. Campaign sucks. Co-op sucks. Half the multiplayer modes suck. Half the maps suck. Battlelog sucks the most. I don't even know where to begin with that. Jets and Choppers are impossible to control, so there's some more content that might as well not be there.

I can't see shit in this game. It looks pretty, but trying to spot an enemy is like playing Where's Waldo. And the aiming is definitely off. This is what I imagine Killzone 2 would feel like with a KB+M.

Key bindings DON'T WORK PROPERLY. WTF?

I'm so mad at myself for buying into the hype.

Facism said:
was in a game with a player called toprocatalyst who went 89 - 9. Watched him get shot 100s of time and take a rocket to the face and not die. His team still lost, though, so well done mate. He pretty much unlocked everything for the IAR in the last hour.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/user/Toprocatalyst/

He seems to do very very well.

Oddly enough though, his KDR is only 1.73 despite those insane games listed above.

mxgt said:
I despise the flashlight, it's so cheap.

Since when is a light that bright anyway. Fuck.

I haven't played much so I don't really have a strong opinion but, based on my limited experience, I feel the same way. It seems ultra effective in any environment and from a significant distance and when I was playing last night, a majority of the people playing were using it. What is an effective counter, other than, using one yourself?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Not sure why they're buffing the UMP to be honest, feels pretty good to me at the moment, it's just not completely stupid like it was in the beta. It's my go to weapon on Recon, so I'll welcome any buffs.

spk

Izayoi said:
I really like the dynamic tags.

rags9jus.png
How are they dynamic? Do you need to unlock them?

MrCookiepants said:
I'm just about done trying to convince myself this is a good game.

Most of the content isn't worth anyone's time. Campaign sucks. Co-op sucks. Half the multiplayer modes suck. Half the maps suck. Battlelog sucks the most. I don't even know where to begin with that. Jets and Choppers are impossible to control, so there's some more content that might as well not be there.

I can't see shit in this game. It looks pretty, but trying to spot an enemy is like playing Where's Waldo. And the aiming is definitely off. This is what I imagine Killzone 2 would feel like with a KB+M.

Key bindings DON'T WORK PROPERLY. WTF?

I'm so mad at myself for buying into the hype.

Debbie Downer. I rock choppers with kb+m--don't know what your problems are. Clearly they're not impossible to control, you just have to practice. Which key bindings don't work?

Absolutely disagree on Battlelog. It has it's shortcomings, but it's so damned easy to use.

I'd agree that half the maps suck for certain modes, but the maps don't suck outright. Some are great for rush, others for CQ. It's a shame they didn't put more thought into balancing them.

Also, LOL:

Battlefield 3 lead platform 'switched to consoles' mid-development

The DICE boss shared the news in the latest issue of PSM3, where he revealed that despite Battlefield 3 looking very much like a shooter designed for advanced PC hardware, the latter stages of Battlefield 3's construction lead on PS3 and Xbox 360 in order to meet release on time.

"We said originally that the PC was the lead SKU of the game, but in mid-production we switched to console as lead platform to make sure we could get all the versions done for release," Troedsson confirmed.

"Our ambition at DICE is to use the power of each individual platform to get the most out of the game," he added.

"In the case of the PS3... I understand that if you compare it to a high-end PC, it's not going to look as good. But if you compare it to other games on the PS3, including other games we've done previously, I have to say I'm very happy with how it looks.

"Hopefully people will agree when they look at it in the same way."

EA previously said it lead development on PC because that audience "has been the one complaining."

Is this...normal?

EDIT: Beaten.

Felix Lighter said:
I haven't played much so I don't really have a strong opinion but, based on my limited experience, I feel the same way. It seems ultra effective in any environment and from a significant distance and when I was playing last night, a majority of the people playing were using it. What is an effective counter, other than, using one yourself?
I honestly don't get the complaints regarding the flashlight. Yes, it can be very effective up close and it can be frustrating to fight against but for every guy who kills me because of using one there is another guy that I spot and kill from a mile away because of the tiny white light that says, "here I am!"

I'm never even used the flashlight because I value stealth too much. Once you get spotted it's tough to survive so the risk just isn't worth it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom